The Duke of Sussex and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, like a drowned rat really, but cheerful with it! Plus a few well chosen words about Invictus and the armed forces.

Sometimes things happen that are caught on camera that just makes you have complete faith in the human race again. These two pictures have just made my day so much brighter.

It meant so much to an older woman to meet Harry in 2015 that she willingly sat in the pouring rain just to see him again. That is understandable. Harry is that kind of guy that leaves an impression on one I think.

Our Harry though is no actor. What you see with him is what you get. Looking at Daphne and Harry in the recent photo of the two of them, one gets the impression that Harry is genuinely and sincerely happy to meet up with an old friend again. I have no clue if Harry remembered her or was pointed out to him that she was in the crowd again but it does seem like Harry was greeting a much beloved grandmother. No matter the whys, Mrs. Dunn was a very happy person going to sleep that night.

Another chance for the general public to meet Harry at 9.30am this morning - in just over an hour and a half - when he is at the Olympic Park Aquatic Centre.

(And still pouring down here.)

Sometimes things happen that are caught on camera that just makes you have complete faith in the human race again. These two pictures have just made my day so much brighter.

It meant so much to an older woman to meet Harry in 2015 that she willingly sat in the pouring rain just to see him again. That is understandable. Harry is that kind of guy that leaves an impression on one I think.

Our Harry though is no actor. What you see with him is what you get. Looking at Daphne and Harry in the recent photo of the two of them, one gets the impression that Harry is genuinely and sincerely happy to meet up with an old friend again. I have no clue if Harry remembered her or was pointed out to him that she was in the crowd again but it does seem like Harry was greeting a much beloved grandmother. No matter the whys, Mrs. Dunn was a very happy person going to sleep that night.

Harry has "it", Osipi - charm, the right touch with people.

It looked like he recognised her from the footage that's been on TV - they had quite a hug and chat.

He told Daphne - who is ninety seven years old - that he's been lopsided for the last two years since she kissed his cheek.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, of course, with all the sentiments about Harry's good qualities. I believe he and Daphne had quite a laugh about them both kissing the opposite cheek this time!

'Charming...dreamboat,' 'lost in his dreamy eyes' 'never wash my hands again' and all while the rain is pouring and everyone is soaked! I saw him a couple of years ago and the effect on people around me and even me was pretty well the same, :lol: except we didn't have the rain to contend with. He's a very down to earth and lovely guy and I bet the people he met won't forget this in a hurry!

Awww, @Curryong! How fun and memorable. It must give Prince Harry a good feeling, as well as a sense of humility and responsibility to know how happy a mere glimpse of him, a handshake, a hug, and a kind word can give to so many people. :wub: :D :winkiss: :dizzy:

Last edited:
Awww, @Curryong! How fun and memorable. It must give Prince Harry a good feeling, as well as a sense of humility and responsibility to know how happy a mere glimpse of him, a handshake, and a kind word can give to so many people. :wub: :D :winkiss: :dizzy:

I kind of get the feeling too that its not emotions that are one sided when meeting Harry. I seriously believe that he takes away from these encounters as much as those meeting him walk away with.

That one picture of Harry meeting up with Daphne Dunn again will remain in my mind for a very long time. :)

Agree.

He's brilliant when it comes to dealing with ordinary people.
That's a trait you either got, or don't. You can't act the part. People with eventually see right through it. And while you can train yourself to be more comfortable in such a role, you can't "learn" it in a class either.
Harry is a natural. And that is worth gold for the BRF.

What a beautiful article. It totally describes the person Harry is when it comes to the Invictus Games. He's not just behind the games, he's a part of it. His "I AM" shines through loud and clear.

Harry is definitely a man that is very comfortable in his own skin and day by day is defining what is important to him and a large part of what is important to him is being able to be of service to others.

The media does seem to want to play up the past as "the party prince" and dredge up old antics he once got up to but when I think about it, it was all part and parcel of finding out who he is and who he wanted to be. The adult Harry that has emerged from his own trials and tribulations is one that will be a golden asset for the UK.

You go Harry! :flowers:

Sydney's CBD train stations have billboard size digital screens - and already ads for next year's Invictus Games are playing.

Everyone here will know about the games by the time they start - millions of people move through the city each work day.

No Royal, or celebrity or Pippa Matthews or her husband on their honeymoon, or anyone else well known/famous, pays full price for hotels, holidays or anything else of that kind, as most people know.

I can imagine that its quite an experience to stay there. I'd be up all night looking out the windows at the world around me. Very nice place but a bit on the expensive side for me too. :D

Sydney's a very expensive place to live, Osipi. I think it ranks about 11th on the 30 most expensive places on earth for lifestyle. Homes on the North shore of Sydney Harbour are invariably multi-million dollar homes and it's rapidly becoming that way for any suburb near the CBD.

The harbour is spectacular, especially at night, and would be wonderful from those windows. However, I doubt Harry paid full price. It's not every day a Prince comes to stay, even for a couple of nights.

Thanks Curryong. I guess I can honestly say then that it would be a grand place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. Not if its that expensive. Then again.... if I had money to burn it'd be a top spot on my list.

Australia is always someplace I've wanted to go and should I win the lottery sometime soon, I'd love to be in Sydney for the Invictus Games when they open.

It doesn't matter to me at all what Harry paid for the room staying there. I've just really enjoyed watching how he puts a lot of time and energies into promoting the games and meeting with the athletes, their families and the general public that show up to see him.

Good luck to all of the participants this year!

Yep. In all sorts of ways it was a marvellous little trip of Harry's to promote the IG, and showed off his better qualities, warmth, enthusiasm, ability to connect with all sorts of people, in full measure.

BTW, there are lots of quite reasonably priced hotels around the Sydney CBD! Looking forward to lots of visitors, who might hopefully take a look around the rest of Australia as well!

Last edited:
A quick reminder/ heads up....

Tickets for Toronto's Invictus Games go on sale Tomorrow @ 10 am EST. All the information can be found @ the Toronto Invictus Games website.

I'm really sorry for not having that link, but this the 3rd straight night of All Nighters & not for anything to do w/me for a change!! Mom really did a number on her shoulder this Weekend putting the Garden in, can't sleep or get comfy to get to sleep, so she putters in the Kitchen. Which happens to be right over my Bedroom, so...Yeah. Anyway...

As someone who has attended a fair share of big Sporting Events over the yrs, I was so shocked when I checked out the Ticket Prices. These Games are actually affordable!!. To start w/half of the Events, roughly, are Free!! Those tend to be outdoor events held in Public Spaces. Like Wheelchair Tennis @ Nathan Phillips Square, which is Toronto's City Hall & Complex.

W/the exception of both Opening & Closing Ceremonies, which aren't that bad for an event like this either (especially considering both will be @ the Air Canada Centre, Home of the Toronto Maple Leafs & Toronto Raptors. Trust me, Ticket Prices for anything else held there are usually a bit higher...), do you have any idea how much the other half of the Tickets cost?

25 dollars across the board for all seating levels of the Venues being used. Yes, you read that right & it took me a few minutes to realize I really was seeing what I thought I was seeing. :D. They really want these to be a success, but the only way to do it, is to have those Venues full. I mean...This is actually something a Family could do & still not come close to how much just Tickets would cost for a Family to go to a Blue Jays Baseball Game!!

I still don't believe it actually, but I LOVE it!! :D. Good on Harry & the entire Team for doing it this way!!

Oh & Yes, of course I'll be trying to get Tickets to some Events Tomorrow Morning. Me? Miss out on screaming my head off for Team Canada at something big Sports wise!?! No way!! :) :) :)

Thank you for posting these, Tiggersk8, DeeT and hel. It all goes to show, IMO, how determined Harry is to make these Games a success, for the competitors and their audiences. Roll on Toronto and then Sydney!

Last edited:
I think one of the main things that stand out for me about Harry and his aim to make the Invictus Games a huge success and a continuing thing is that never once in all of the appearances, the interviews, the videos or events is there any inkling of Harry seeking personal glory or accolades or even a "job well done Harry". He is sincerely in this endeavor for the good of the people involved in the games and their accomplishments and their courage to push on to compete regardless of the odds. There's a bit of a gardener in Harry. He plants the seeds, waters them and nurtures them until the world admires the beautiful plants that grow.

I think also that its a stroke of genius whomever realized that a big part of the words "Invictus Games" are "I Am".

I just went and visited the Invictus Canada Webpage. I was surprised about a couple of things.

17 nations are participating, which is great. I was surprised though, that there was not an unafiliated participant category, as there has become for the Olympic Games. I had assumed that as Invictus was a recent games invention that it would be progressive in this respect.

Shopping was a surprise. The games are months off and sizes are sold out in many items. Classic items like toques, mitts and scarves are now "while supplies last." But in an innovative twist for online shopping, you can pre-order from the next shipment, are told when stock is expected in and make a choice based on that info. Niiiice.

If you care about these things, the sponsors lists are interesting to see and worth supporting! Go Toronto!

I was surprised that they're going to have a driving challenge in the Distillery District. It doesn't exactly have a lot of wide open spaces.

Also, the Toronto Islands, the cycling venue, are currently closed to everyone but the permanent residents and airport traffic due to flooding. Everything was cancelled on the islands until the end of June, but that's been extended to the end of July. Hopefully by then the waters will have receded by then, but it's going to take a massive clean up effort and I won't be surprised if they end up keeping them closed for the whole summer. I'm sure IG has a backup plan but it'll be disappointing because the islands are one of the coolest parts of Toronto.

The organizers have actually done a really good job of highlighting interesting parts of the city by using them as venues, IMO. It's nice to see places like Fort York get some love.

Whenever I see Harry and Invictus he impresses me. Like Senteble, you can see it's not simply a patronage for him. It's not about clocking in the required events. It really his pet passion for him, a baby of sorts. Hearing interviews and seeing him at events for it, you can see it's a work of love for him. He may have spent only a short time in Afghanistan, but you can see it left a deep impact on him. Certainly the best kind of patrinages, the one you can feel passion ooze from. For Harry the heads together campaign is an extension of this work. And maybe why I feel a closer bond with him to the campaign.

I am excited to see the games in Toronto. I agree, great that they have chosen to showcase a range of areas in the city. Be good for the city.

Not surprised much of the gear is already bought out. Surprised the toques aren't :D

That will be...interesting, I'm sure, for Toronto residents and visitors alike! I'm glad to see though, that successive US Presidents are getting behind this project as well as PM Trudeau and others. I hope that large audiences turn up to support and cheer on these brave vets, and I'm certain they will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom