The Duke of Sussex and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is official Orlando in May 2016 for the next games. It's at the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex at Walt Disney World.

I wonder how many people who live in the area will make out to Disney for it or will it be tourists who are already there for the parks.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

At Disney World? :cool:

After a successful Games in London in 2014 overseen by Prince Harry, the Invictus Games 2016 are coming to the United States MAY 8-12, 2016 AT THE ESPN WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS COMPLEX IN ORLANDO, FLORIDA.

https://youtu.be/MOFCymdS8Lk

“The 2014 Games were just the beginning of the Invictus story. The competitors showed grit, determination and humour: an absolute refusal to be beaten or be defined by their injuries – the Invictus spirit was born. I can’t wait to see the American public supporting these inspirational men and women at the next games.” -prince Harry

"I am absolutely delighted that the United States has taken up that challenge and will host the next Invictus Games in 2016. I have no doubt that the USA will set the bar even higher than London did and put on a great show". Prince Harry

As an American, I'm not too keen on his attempts to trump The Warrior Games - which are being held only a month later. First, he stole their idea/premise. Now he's gunning for their sponsors.

It reminds me of when Caribou Coffee(a chain store) moved in across the street from my local "Ma and Pa" coffee shop that had been in business for decades. Caribou tried to drive them out of business, but instead the neighborhood got angry and started to boycott Caribou.

Who knew Harry was such a corporate bully? :lol:

As an American, I'm not too keen on his attempts to trump The Warrior Games - which are being held only a month later. First, he stole their idea/premise. Now he's gunning for their sponsors.

It reminds me of when Caribou Coffee(a chain store) moved in across the street from my local "Ma and Pa" coffee shop that had been in business for decades. Caribou tried to drive them out of business, but instead the neighborhood got angry and started to boycott Caribou.

Who knew Harry was such a corporate bully? :lol:

Lest we forget, there's also the paralympic games too. Even in regulation sports there are quite a few different "games" series. It gives the athletes far more chances to compete and especially with the wounded service people who participate, more to look forward to. It also draws a lot more attention to the hardships and the challenges our wounded heroes face.

I love it! :flowers:

The Invictus Games: September 10-14, 2014

I wonder if they got Disney to throw some airtime on one of the ESPN networks. I don't remember much coverage in the U.S. for the London one. The BBC covered it in the UK but are they going to cover an overseas one.

The Paralympics in 2012 got almost no coverage in the U.S. NBC stepped up the coverage more for Sochi.

Without any TV coverage, most in the U.S. probably wouldn't even know it's happening which is sad.

Ah, it's good to see Harry's happy smiling face. It's seems like a while since he was out and about. The athletes know him and were happy to see him too. He and others helped a disabled female athlete when her wheelchair collapsed as well.

I love his passion for the causes like the Invictus Games. This is the Harry in his royal role that he enjoys and is positive and this is where he should continue to focus his attention and highlight his military charities.

The First Celebrity Ambassador for Prince Harry's Invictus Games Is . . . - The British Royals, The Royals, Prince Harry, Cover Galleries, Covers : People.com

Really Curryong I would sit as close i can to Harry and smile :) to him but unfortunately Orlando is too far for me :D I hope you can go!:flowers: And a big bravo to Harry for these games I hope everyone can enjoy them!!

How Prince Harry's Invictus Games Help His Military 'Brothers and Sisters' Heal : People.com

Why are the Invictus Games so important? We find out from Prince Harry and competitors trying out for the Invictus Games 2016.

https://www.facebook.com/invictuslondon/videos/898628436924028/?fref=nf

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you are getting ready for the Games, Eya. Sit as near to Harry as you can get and smile at him and see what happens! Seriously, Harry will again draw a huge amount of attention to this vital cause and the competitors will do themselves and their countries proud again. Harry just throws himself heart and soul into this sort of thing and it shows.

I am really hoping that ESPN is going to carry the games as I would really love to watch them and cheer each and every participant on.

What truly amazes me is the general attitude of some that Harry isn't doing anything with his life right now. I would imagine that leading up to these games he's deep in the thick of it with the planning and the plotting and making sure everything is going like clockwork. How many 30 year olds can actually say that they've instigated an international event of this size and caliber?

From reading articles looking for TV coverage, I did notice that Kirstie Ennis is going to be among those participating in the games. Now there's a girl with a heck of a lot of spunk and I wish her well.

What truly amazes me is the general attitude of some that Harry isn't doing anything with his life right now. I would imagine that leading up to these games he's deep in the thick of it with the planning and the plotting and making sure everything is going like clockwork. How many 30 year olds can actually say that they've instigated an international event of this size and caliber?

The organising committee for Orlando is 100 percent different from London. Not a single person is the same which shouldn't come as a surprise.

Harry is patron and can be seen as the face of the games rather than the person actually organising things.

In London, Sir Keith Mills, the former deputy chairman of the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games did the organising. He served as chairman of invictus.

Again not surprising given there is nothing in Harry's background that gives him expertise in organising a sporting event.

In Orlando, Ken Fisher is acting as chairman of the games along with various people from the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Foundation.

Obvious Harry is being kept in the loop and is a great promoter but the 'organising' end of it is left to the professionals

Last edited:
I haven't seen any thing which says there will be TV coverage. NBC only had a few hours of Paralympics in 2012. ESPN laid off 400 people and in May they will be focused on NBA playoffs and MLB baseball coverage.

The ESPN sports complex is just a section of Disney World. Doesn't mean ESPN is going to cover it.

I'm sure Harry will be there as enthusiastic as ever, cheering those competitors on! It will be great, and these games have really given an impetus to the international community of veteran service people. I bet Harry has been in communication with the Orlando organisers, discussing how he can best assist!

Prince Harry will be giving an interview in the morning with Robin Roberts on Good Morning America.

So proud of Harry for all the hard work he's obviously put in behind the scenes to help establish the Invictus Games and place it on a firm footing.

"2017 is a year steeped in rich Canadian military history, marking the anniversaries of historic battles that shaped and defined the nation. It's also the year that Canada will commemorate its 150th anniversary of Confederation," Prince Harry said in the video.

"I cannot think of a better way to mark this milestone than by paying tribute to the soldiers and veterans who have served their country so bravely and to support them along their journey to recovery," he stated. Prince Harry announces Toronto will host 2017 Invictus Games - Toronto - CBC News

Just saw an ad. Harry's interview with Robin Roberts on GMA tomorrow (March 17)

"2017 is a year steeped in rich Canadian military history, marking the anniversaries of historic battles that shaped and defined the nation. It's also the year that Canada will commemorate its 150th anniversary of Confederation," Prince Harry said in the video.

"I cannot think of a better way to mark this milestone than by paying tribute to the soldiers and veterans who have served their country so bravely and to support them along their journey to recovery," he stated. Prince Harry announces Toronto will host 2017 Invictus Games - Toronto - CBC News

Hmmm...I guess I know what I'll be planning on attending next year. :D :D. What a boost to Soldier On this is. All those pepping for Orlando right now must be so excited and now really wanting to do well. Just all in all this awesome news!!

Although...Did anyone else catch the reference to Ice Sports being introduced? Sledge Hockey I wonder?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

If it's Canada -doesn't have to include some curling. ??

Happy to hear we will be hosting the games next year :flowers: This is such a great cause, one I am happy to see Harry involved in. And considering what a huge year next year is for Canadian history, I agree with Harry it is a great time for us to host.

a great interview
Prince Harry reveals his devastation after he was withdrawn from Afghanistan | Daily Mail Online

"'Prince Harry's been an absolute legend,' he said. 'Literally, he was everywhere. You know, we couldn't get rid of him if we tried.

'He was literally boosting everything, pumping everything, getting everyone going, really encouraging.'

'No one wants sympathy,' Harry told Roberts. 'All they want is an opportunity to prove themselves. That's what this is all about.'" :flowers:

More of the interview is to air tomorrow on GMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom