Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, General News 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Royals hug people all the time when on engagements. Children love to give Kate a hug.

To me that’s completely different from hugging staff at KP. The palace is a professional environment.

One only has to read "Not in Front of the Corgis: Secrets of Life Behind the Royal Curtains" by Brian Hoey to get a good glimpse of just how the staff see each other and operate while in service (the book is primarily focused on Buckingham Palace). Its not a hug fest type of place whatsoever. Even within the ranks of the staff there is the echelon of hierarchy. From what I've read, its even more formal and more stiff and upright than a normal place of business and people "know their place" in the scheme of things.

Its completely believable and right on the money when Zaira posted her thought of "I had an image popping in my head of Meghan grabbing a courtier in a hug at random and them spilling their tea, adjusting their monocle and exclaiming "I say!"

Hugging is just not done.

Well considering this all apparently happened in 2016 when she was the unawares girlfriend, I think it has all been sorted.

Now they just judge her for hugging children.

Some things you learn by making mistakes and then never make that mistake again. ;)

Some things you learn by making mistakes and then never make that mistake again. ;)

Learning by mistake is the best way to learn. I can tell you not to touch that hot stove until I'm blue in the face. However, after you get burned the first time, I bet you won't do it again. I hope that Tom Sr. has learned his lesson and won't pull another stunt like this. However, with 6 days left until the wedding, I think the Markle's are going to keep showing their out in public.

Whoops...wrong thread. Mods, please move to the Family Thread.

The judgement comes when folks think their more royal then the royals. Just the other day, some journalist criticized Meghan for hugging children.

I’m sure Meghan don’t go around hugging KP staff all the time, so everyone should relax. She’s not going to force anyone into a hug either.

Also, the younger royals are different from the older generation of royals.

The best thing for people to do is let Meghan be Meghan. There’s no doubt she knows protocol and learning the ropes of being a senior royal. She’s going to do her job and be a respectable royal. But the easiest way to turn this whole Harry and Meghan relationship and marriage into pure hell is to try to transform Meghan into something she’s not. #LearnFromThePast

Last edited:
When there is outrage and critique about Meghan hugging people, I think she's doing wonderfully. Imagine to learn NOT to hug people...

The fact Meghan was told it’s against protocol and she explained it away by being ‘American’ leads me to believe it’s not a love fest between the royals and the people who serve them.

Just accept that there’s a learning curve to being royal and many of Meghan’s American ways don’t translate well to Palace life.

Last edited:
We don't know she was told it was against protocol, and who told her and what, though.

Added, that this happened at a time no one was supposed to tell her anything about protocol, even, it happened before they were engaged.

So let me get this straight, because Meghan hugged a security guard when she first started up with Harry, we are assuming she is STILL doing that? Come on.

The fact Meghan was told it’s against protocol and she explained it away by being ‘American’ leads me to believe it’s not a love fest between the royals are the people who serve them.

Just accept that there’s a learning curve to being royal and many of Meghan’s American ways don’t translate well to Palace life.

No one is saying it’s always a love fest between royals and all of their staff. I’m sure they have disagreements at times. To expect anything different about any of them is unrealistic. Again, if hugging, which as far as we know didn’t make anyone involved in the hug uncomfortable, is the biggest problem, she’s doing pretty well.

Last edited by a moderator:
So let me get this straight, because Meghan hugged a security guard when she first started up with Harry, we are assuming she is STILL doing that? Come on.

Yep. ?

I’ve hugged bosses before and they hugged me too. Now granted we don’t do that everyday, but there are times when it’s ok and not unprofessional. If both people are comfortable with it. I don’t see the problem.

And Meghan’s situation is even less than that as she’s not their boss.

I agree - I've been a manager since I finished my postdoctorate and now I'm a Sr Director. I hug and I've been hugged - especially when we are showing jubilation or having a laugh.

Some workplaces are less formal - waay less formal. Our CEO wears shorts, lol.

Sometimes I think some people who write these articles do them to try to keep newbies like Meghan "in their place".

Some workplaces are less formal, that’s true. Royal palaces in Britain don’t fall into that category though.

Perhaps the security guard was happy with Meghan, Harry's then girlfriend hugging them, perhaps to show appreciation. Meghan wasn't in a working situation there then, she was simply visiting her boyfriend.

Last edited:
The fact Meghan was told it’s against protocol and she explained it away by being ‘American’ leads me to believe it’s not a love fest between the royals and the people who serve them.

The only thing I really have a problem with is Meghan explaining it away by claiming "she is American", as hugging in the workplace or hugging staff are definitely not something that Americans routinely do.

The only thing I really have a problem with is Meghan explaining it away by claiming "she is American", as hugging in the workplace or hugging staff are definitely not something that Americans routinely do.

I'm still trying to figure out how we know she actually said this? It's still just "sources" claiming this is happening.

The "source" is Bonnie Hammer (chairman of NBC Universal). She said this is a story that Meghan told her. Now could she be lying? Sure. But I just don't think the head of a network would make up a story about Meghan. Doing so would risk ruining her reputation.

Last edited:
The "source" is Bonnie Hammer (chairman of NBC Universal). She said this is a story that Meghan told her. Now could she be lying? Sure. But I just don't think the head of a network would make up a story about Meghan. Doing so would risk ruining her reputation.

Hammer is also someone who was/is very close to Meghan and is supposedly going to the wedding.

The story is probably true, but afaik, this was very early in the relationship and not recently. Now, these folks are her "employees" so to speak so I can absolutely see her putting up more professional distance now.

Funnily enough, I was at a conference this weekend week for folks in my area of work. The Americans definitely hugged their peers at other organizations they have not seen for a bit or just as a greeting. The "Oh my gosh how good to see you!" hug. Those from other countries were more circumspect. ?

Good Lord Huggate 2018!

Let's call off the wedding..send her to the Tower....shame her to death!

So Meghan is huggy and others are not. Okay...I am sure she will clamp down on the hugginess...yes it's true that some don't care for it...all about personal space and all that...and in the work place it is not something that is encouraged as it can cause some discomfort. Some Americans (not all) tend to hug others when you feel personally touched by something or has Zaira explained when you see someone you haven't seen a bit. Even cold hearted Zonk has been known to give a hug or two. I did to a couple of people who were receptive and someone who was uncomfortable. The next time, the uncomfortable person didn't get a hug. I wasn't hurt by her not feeling my hug...its her thing...and I respect it. And she wasn't offended when she didn't get one the next time. I am sure if it has been expressed that some are not comfortable with hugs and its not the thing to do..she will clamp down.

Hopefully now she has been advised that this is not the norm and we can all move on.

Hopefully.

Last edited:
Yeah, all this happened when she and Harry were dating, so we have no idea if this is something she's still doing. I imagine once she was told that it wasn't protocol, she stopped.

And hugging is definitely not an American thing (I hate being hugged by people that aren't family) and definitely not something a boss, or someone in a position of power should be doing in the workplace.

Meghan is not going to disobey royal protocol on purpose. I’m sure she know that hugging staff isn’t really encouraged.

Everyone knows that there’s isn’t a love nest between the royals and their staff, but the young royals are more relaxed than the previous generations.

I’m also sure the media exaggerated the hugs too. There’s a lot of journalists trying to play up the fact that Meghan is an American marrying into the British Royal Family. The idea is to make it seem like she’s very badly green to everything high society. And of course folks will fall for it.

Meghan is not going to disobey royal protocol on purpose. I’m sure she know that hugging staff isn’t really encouraged.

Everyone knows that there’s isn’t a love nest between the royals and their staff, but the young royals are more relaxed than the previous generations.

I’m also sure the media exaggerated the hugs too. There’s a lot of journalists trying to play up the fact that Meghan is an American marrying into the British Royal Family. The idea is to make it seem like she’s very badly green to everything high society. And of course folks will fall for it.

Yes, there is a lot of thinly concealed anti-American sentiment and classism in the way some of these royal experts talk.

Meghan is a smart girl. She seems to be at pains to ensure she is following the royal handbook. Mistakes will be made and some things will probably change but as I've said, I highly doubt Meghan is going around and hugging every Tom, Nick and Nancy she meets in the halls of KP.

Much ado about nothing.

My thing is this happened in 2016 when they were in the early stages of dating. This didn't happen last week.

Another workplace hugger, here.

Something to remember is that Meghan comes from the world of TV production and seemed to have very affectionate relationships with her support staff (hair/makeup/wardrobe) and cast crew. Her instagram had numerous pictures of her joking, dancing, and hugging workmates.

With that said, I'd be shocked if she insisted on hugging people who were non-huggers, and if she did say "I'm American", it was undoubtedly to a third party saying she shouldn't do that, and not to a person objecting to being hugged.

Huggate LOL I'm so glad the world continues to turn! We will survive this....and if we don't then maybe we don't deserve to survive...

Meghan's so called faux pas happened when they where dating and I imagine it was because she was so happy, perhaps grateful that she gave the footman a hug. Very Californian. Im sure she is a lot more restrained now.

Some workplaces are less formal, that’s true. Royal palaces in Britain don’t fall into that category though.

And you know this because you work there, live there, know the people who live there?
The anti American sentiment and class bias is real.

This is actually Huggate - The Sequel. [emoji3]

Who can forget the shock and awe in 2009 when the world was set ablaze by the breach of protocol by two women that obviously took to each other and showed a bit of affection. The proof is in the pudding.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/blog/2009/apr/02/michelle-obama-queen-hug

How dare she toucheth the Queen, these silly Americans aren't fit to be in polite society. First its hugs then its bringing pet pigs to the dinner table.

Last edited:
I believe Rudolph is right in this case. From all the books I've read authored by people that have been in service in the various palaces and households, it *is* quite "proper" with the staff wearing the "proper" uniform for their station.

From Buckingham Palace to Clarence House to Balmoral and Sandringham, there is a specific "code" of behavior that just naturally surrounds these places. The only residence I've heard of that is perhaps less formal is Anne's Gatcombe Park.

The anti American sentiment and class bias is real.

Yes it IS.. and Ms Markle isn't going to change that fact [sorry]...

Last edited:
That anti-American sentiment and bias does exist, but you’ll find it more in the media and from folks online.

The younger royals have changed with the times and do things a bit differently. I think it’s one of the main problems in Meghan’s case. Some royal watchers are stuck in the old world of royalty and the young royals aren’t. It’s one of the reasons why folks still have the debate on whether Meghan will have to curtsy to the blood royals. Especially when it’s been established that the royals don’t curtsy to one another, other than The Queen.

We don’t have to worry about Meghan and royal protocol. She’s got this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom