Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Current Events 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Confirmation is here. I figured it would be soon since it is in one week.

Seems like they doing engagements every two weeks or so.

The agenda:

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will start their visit on Tuesday at the Esplanade in front of the iconic Edinburgh Castle, where they will be officially welcomed to the city by the Royal Marines Scotland Band.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will also visit a social business and café in Edinburgh’s Mew Town called @SocialBite_

Harry and Meghan will also host a reception at the Palace of Holyroodhouse to mark Scotland’s Year of Young People 2018. All happening on Tuesday 13 February

So this has got to be an overnight .Do they get to stay at the Palace ?

they get to stay at the Palace

Almost certainly.. the Royal Apartments are 'lived in' albeit only annually for 'Holyrood Week'...

Last edited:
It seems they are introducing her everywhere in the UK. I also get the impression that they will be involved in a lot UK appearances now that the Cambridges are stepping up their international ones since Charles is taking on more of QEII's duties and won't have time to travel as extensively as he has in the past.

use the Royal Apartments when it's not one of the family ?

I don't think so.. he has a permanent residence at Holyrood, separate from the Apartment used by the Royal Family.

It seems they are introducing her everywhere in the UK. I also get the impression that they will be involved in a lot UK appearances now that the Cambridges are stepping up their international ones since Charles is taking on more of QEII's duties and won't have time to travel as extensively as he has in the past.

IIRC after the engagement it was said that they would be touring the country to introduce Meghan. Ireland should be up next!

LaRae

All 'new members' of the working side of the 'Firm' do such an introductory tour.

Ms Markle is simply the latest person to do so, and YES, Northern Ireland will be next..

Cornwall and East Anglia are also likely to be visited.

What about the rest of Ireland?

Oh hadn't thought about Cornwall and East Anglia...too cool. They are going to be busy up until they get married.

LaRae

I think the Republic of Ireland would be considered a foreign tour so I don't see that happening. Northern Ireland, yes.

They did say that Harry and Meghan would be touring the UK so I think they'll stay within national boundaries.

This was always the plan. I do think stuff like her being involved in presenting at the Endeavors Awards and maybe the upcoming CHOGM is more surprising as she is not officially a royal yet but visiting the UK is not. Also Harry is a senior royal so Meghan is accompanying him on more dates is makes.

I know when Kate got engaged she didn't do nearly as many but William wasn't a senior royal yet and also Meghan is not a local. She has the added duty of learning a lot because she is to be baptized into the church and she has to take her citizen test. Meghan getting a crash course right now.

This was always the plan. I do think stuff like her being involved in presenting at the Endeavors Awards and maybe the upcoming CHOGM is more surprising as she is not officially a royal yet but visiting the UK is not. Also Harry is a senior royal so Meghan is accompanying him on more dates is makes.

I think she's just jumping in with both feet on this. I remember reading a quote from Max Worsley that his mother said kind words about Meghan after meeting with her and Harry at the committee meeting to decide on the winner of the Henry Worsley award prior to attending Endeavors Awards ceremony. So it seems that she's getting involved behind the scenes as well.

I'm a bit skeptical at the CHOGM though, but it did come from Camilla Tominey. But I'd expect her to be at the Commonwealth Day Service if Harry goes this year and she is in London at that time.

Indeed, the Republic of Ireland WON'T figure [why would it] ?

Other places that might tho' are the West Midlands [Nottingham is East Midlands], and somewhere in the 'Home Counties' [the area around, but NOT in] London...
Both areas are fairly densely populated, and deserving of a visit.

I've seen disagreement about who will be at CHOGM. Some have said H&M won't be there, only the Queen, C&C and possibly the Cambridges and they aren't even guaranteed to be there.

Will be interesting to see who is there.

LaRae

What about the rest of Ireland?

Oh hadn't thought about Cornwall and East Anglia...too cool. They are going to be busy up until they get married.

LaRae

The rest of Ireland (the Republic) is another country. I would expect Meghan and Harry’s first foreign tour to be a Commonwealth Realm or possibly the US (because of Meghan’s connection). Given how tours to the Irish Republic tend to be big deals (because of the history between the two countries),I wouldn’t expect such a tour for awhile. I’m not even sure that William and Kate have done a tour of the Republic (I might be very wrong - I did a quick google search, but found no results).

Indeed, the Republic of Ireland WON'T figure [why would it] ?

Other places that might tho' are the West Midlands [Nottingham is East Midlands], and somewhere in the 'Home Counties' [the area around, but NOT in] London...
Both areas are fairly densely populated, and deserving of a visit.

I dunno..just thought they might go?

Seems like they are doing at least 2 public engagements a month so far. Might have to increase that to make all the rounds.

LaRae

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Current Events Part 1: November 2017 -

Only the Queen and Charles and their spouses have gone to Ireland.

The rest of Ireland (the Republic) is another country. I would expect Meghan and Harry’s first foreign tour to be a Commonwealth Realm or possibly the US (because of Meghan’s connection). Given how tours to the Irish Republic tend to be big deals (because of the history between the two countries),I wouldn’t expect such a tour for awhile. I’m not even sure that William and Kate have done a tour of the Republic (I might be very wrong - I did a quick google search, but found no results).

It's expected that Meghan will accompany Harry to Australia for IG in late October after Eugenie's wedding. Even though that's not an official foreign tour as they'll be there for IG rather than in the official capacity representing HMQ, perhaps that'd be their first official overseas visit? Or do we think they can squeeze in something before then?

Foreign tours are at the request of the overseas realm or the UK Foreign office. They have to be invited. Charles and Camilla are going to Australia for Commonwealth Games in April. May have official visit to Australia and NZ tied to that trip. Those countries may not want to pay for second visit. Harry didn’t do a official tour of Canada as part his Invictus trip.

As someone who's from NI, I'd be pretty peeved to see the Republic get an extended visit from Harry or William/Kate at this point. They should be trying to build up their connection with the bit of Ireland that's still part of the UK first. Harry has only made 1 official visit here for 1 day.

Unfortunately for us, such visits are rarely announced ahead of time due to security concerns which makes it very difficult for people here to see them. Add the fact that we get relatively few royal visits anyway, from the younger royals at least, and we're pretty hard done by IMO!

Many of the RF's most ardent supporters are in this wee bit of the Kingdom, much like in Gibraltar which gets little in the way of visits from the royals because Spain's nose would be out of joint for a few days.

William and Catherine visited Ulster prior to their wedding so I imagine H&M will at some point.

Foreign tours are at the request of the overseas realm or the UK Foreign office. They have to be invited. Charles and Camilla are going to Australia for Commonwealth Games in April. May have official visit to Australia and NZ tied to that trip. Those countries may not want to pay for second visit. Harry didn’t do a official tour of Canada as part his Invictus trip.

I wasn't trying to say they will do an official visit of Australia. That wouldn't really work as there'd be confusion about whose paying for which part of the trip and how to split some things. And I just don't think they'd comingle a visit with IG. I was simply asking if anyone things they'll do a foreign visit before going to Australia for IG.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Current Events Part 1: November 2017 -

Probably just go to Canada and Justin Truedeu can join them on most of their engagements like he did with the Cambridges. Manitoba and Saskatchewan need some royal love too since everyone goes to Ottawa or BC

William and Catherine visited Ulster prior to their wedding so I imagine H&M will at some point.

I have no doubt they will, but it very likely won't be announced ahead of time. So unless you happen to be in the exact place they visit that exact day your chance of seeing them in the flesh will be zero.

Last year Harry was about 10 miles from my office when he visited - we had no idea he was coming so had no opportunity to see him.

:previous: Do you remember when they announced his visit last year? I thought there was a little bit of advanced notice?

Probably just go to Canada and Justin Truedeu can join them on most of their engagements like he did with the Cambridges. Manitoba and Saskatchewan need some royal love too since everyone goes to Ottawa or BC

I thought Canada would be a good choice given that's where Meghan resided in the years prior to her marriage. However, given that Canada received the first Cambridge visit, I thought maybe they'd want to spread the love around to another Commonwealth country?:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait for the visit to Scotland. This will be so interesting. There has been some chatter that H&M may get Scottish titles upon marriage.

Of course they’ll get a Scottish title, every senior royal does. English dukedom, Scottish earldom and Northern Irish baronecy is how it usually goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom