Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, General News 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cocoasneeze

Serene Highness
City
Somewhere in
Country
United Kingdom
She'll apply for UK citizenship as soon as logistically possible, but will also keep her US citizenship.

Her dog Bogart is with good friends, and won't cone to UK, Guy is in UK.

Meghan and Harry will make their first joint appearance in Nottingham, this Friday, walkabout included.

Meghan is going to give up all her current patronages, but will take similar patronages soon.

She'll be traveling around UK the next few months to get to know the British people.

All this gathered from twitter.

Not sure if someone else has posted this, but KP has confirmed Bogart has been permanently rehomed while Guy is in UK with Meghan and Harry.

Yeah I figured this was the case after what she said in the interview.

LaRae

Not sure if someone else has posted this, but KP has confirmed Bogart has been permanently rehomed while Guy is in UK with Meghan and Harry.

I’m very disappointed to hear this as someone who relocated with five cats to a different country and back.
Did they provide a reason why she has chosen to give him away?
I’m sure she’s a lovely person with a big heart but her value in my eyes just went down several levels.

Wasn’t Boggart the one from the pound Ellen told her to adopt?

Last edited:
I’m very disappointed to hear this as someone who relocated with five cats to a different country and back.
I’m sure she’s a lovely person with a big heart but her value in my eyes just went down several levels.

Why did she go down several levels. :ermm: It's highly unlikely she would've left Bogart behind while moving Guy to UK if they are both fit to travel. Royal reporters were reporting that it was due to health reasons.

Why did she go down several levels. :ermm: It's highly unlikely she would've left Bogart behind while moving Guy to UK if they are both fit to travel. Royal reporters were reporting that it was due to health reasons.

Awww so Bogart is too sick to make the move maybe? Poor thing.

I have no doubt she had Bogart's best interest at heart when she left him behind. He's being well taken care of by people Meghan trusts.

Forcing a pet to undergo a long-distance relocation isn't always the kind or loving thing to do to. It depends on the animal and its needs. Meghan specifically said he was with "a friend," and she's spent a lot of time away from home in the last year and a half...I suspect the dogs have been spending a lot of time with a loving caretaker during her absences and that Bogart is simply going to remain with that person (to whom he has probably bonded). That sounds much more humane than subjecting an elderly animal to a very stressful and possibly damaging transition.

Forcing a pet to undergo a long-distance relocation isn't always the kind or loving thing to do to. It depends on the animal and its needs. Meghan specifically said he was with "a friend," and she's spent a lot of time away from home in the last year and a half...I suspect the dogs have been spending a lot of time with a loving caretaker during her absences and that Bogart is simply going to remain with that person (to whom he has probably bonded). That sounds much more humane than subjecting an elderly animal to a very stressful and possibly damaging transition.

That's the impression I got too- that she'd made the best decision she could for each dog individually based on what they could handle and what would make them happiest.

Our son went thru this earlier this year when he and his wife moved to Germany from the U.S. After consulting with their vet, their Puggle was rehomed with closer friends who knew him well (and he loved them too) due to his health and 'smashed' nose of that breed. The vet felt it was 50/50 he would survive the flight over.

I wouldn't assume Meghan has just walked off and forgotten about her beloved pet.

LaRae

You said it so much better than I could.

It seems like it was the best solution for Bogart.

Our son went thru this earlier this year when he and his wife moved to Germany from the U.S. After consulting with their vet, their Puggle was rehomed with closer friends who knew him well (and he loved them too) due to his health and 'smashed' nose of that breed. The vet felt it was 50/50 he would survive the flight over.

I wouldn't assume Meghan has just walked off and forgotten about her beloved pet.

LaRae

What a difficult decision though, parting with a long term pet.

I once sat with a friend when her cat was euthanized. It was so sad. So I can understand Meghan not wanting to risk Bogart's health. I hope the other dog doesn't get heart sick without his/her buddy. I lost a puppy once who got so heart sick after our neighbor's dog (and her play date) died, that she became anemic, stopped eating and died.

I haven't had a pet since - too hurt by it all.

I once sat with a friend when her cat was euthanized. It was so sad. So I can understand Meghan not wanting to risk Bogart's health. I hope the other dog doesn't get heart sick without his/her buddy. I lost a puppy once who got so heart sick after our neighbor's dog (and her play date) died, that she became anemic, stopped eating and died.

I think Guy is adjusting ok as Meghan said he's been in UK for awhile now and is doing great.

What a difficult decision though, parting with a long term pet.

I haven't had a pet since - too hurt by it all.

It's awful when you have to make the decision to put one down. We recently had to do this with a 17 year old cat we'd had since he was 6 months old.

He's not the first one and won't be the last though, we still love having pets. We have 2 dogs now, fish and soon to add a bird and 2 ponies for the grandkids. It's always a bittersweet thing.

LaRae

Emily Andrews asked about Christmas at Sandringham and expected to be told only married couples are allow, but to her surprise, the answer was that KP will announce Christmas plans in the coming weeks.

She could spend Christmas with her family or she could spend Christmas with the royal family. Kensington Palace will let the media know.

She could spend Christmas with her family or she could spend Christmas with the royal family. Kensington Palace will let the media know.

Many of you seem to forget that Meghan has a mother and a father to spend Christmas with. Her parents may not be welcomed until after she and Harry are married. She is NOT going to leave her mother alone on Christmas to spend with the royals.

Okay we're probably vying off subject i'll give a quick answer:
I consider adopting a pet a commitment, a promise, ones make to that furbaby for the entire life of that pet. you do not abandon family, your children- be it human or furry ones.

I find it extra irritating and hrutful being someone who just relocated to the other side of the globe with a cancer sick cat (plus four healthy ones) I moved heaven and earth for her, spend thousands of dollars (and I do not have the financial mean Meghan has), there was no question when I relocated to the other side of the world (twice in 6 years) that the cats are coming with me - no matter what.

bogart is not even 10 years old.
I did a quick google search- because finding information is my thing and i remembered reading this blob about the dogs a couple months ago: How Ellen DeGeneres Convinced Meghan Markle to Adopt a Dog + More Facts From Our May Cover Star | Best Health Magazine Canada

He was 3 years old when this interview was done, Guy was about 4-5 (so he's actually older), The tig was already up and running (and it was only 3 years old when she closed it), so this interview had to have been done about 2-3 years ago.
So Bogart is actually about 7 years old, 8 at most.

No offense but if I was able to get the okay and bring my cancer sick cat (who is a year younger than Bogart) with me (though not to the UK), I can't even think of a reason she wouldn't.
While pets as big as Bogart usually need to fly in cargo, when flying via charter flight or bringing a pet via sea that is not needed and they can travel in Cabin.
and he is not among the problematic to fly breeds (like pugs and other short snot)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...nt-of-pets/approved-air-routes-for-pet-travel

So I have a hard time understanding why the dog was left behind. Something just doesn't add up.
Honestly knowing how big the brits are about animal welfare, if he really was unable to join her in the UK due to health reasons she should have been the one to say it during the interview and not leave the PR team to handle it. her dog, her responsibility to provide the explanation.

So yes, I still like her in general, i'm sure she's an overall good person having been able to win Harry's heart. And no doubt this was a hard decision to make, but she made it none the less, I volunteered in shelters, the "health issues" is not reason, that being said I have heard worse.
hopefully where he has landed will truly be his Forever Home.
Sadly dogs who tend to get rehomed once are likely to find themselves rehomed again.

Last edited:
Many of you seem to forget that Meghan has a mother and a father to spend Christmas with. Her parents may not be welcomed until after she and Harry are married. She is NOT going to leave her mother alone on Christmas to spend with the royals.

We didn’t forget. KP could’ve given a clear answer as they did with other questions, but purposefully kept this issue open even though there is a precedent in place. Given this, it’s not out of line to think they might make certain changes to accommodate the couple’s specific situation.

Okay we're probably vying off subject i'll give a quick answer:
I consider adopting a pet a commitment, a promise, ones make to that furbaby for the entire life of that pet. you do not abandon family, your children- be it human or furry ones....

Bogart is an rescue, so we don’t really know his lineage, and a lot of times, dogs do have genetic predisposition that causes early onset of disability or illness. We don’t know what happened, but what is clear is that Meghan loves her dogs and could’ve moved Bogart to U.K. if she could like she has done with Guy. I don’t think it’d be appropriate for them to ask KP for any further details as it might pour salt on the wound for Meghan since she’s had Bogart since he was a baby.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have said she will be flying in and out of the country prior to her marriage in order to see friends/family.

LaRae

I don't think Meghan needed to explain any more why Bogart isn't coming to UK. He's in a good home, well taken care of. That's all that matters. Meghan doesn't owe the public any explanation about it, and prying for more info would be intrusive.

Honestly knowing how big the brits are about animal welfare, if he really was unable to join her in the UK due to health reasons she should have been the one to say it during the interview and not leave the PR team to handle it. her dog, her responsibility to provide the explanation.

Oh. My. Lord. Her "responsibility to provide the explanation"? Seriously? She doesn't have to "provide" anything to anyone. It's her dog and from what information we have, he's well taken care for. Really, it's her private life, why should she have to say anything about him..?

The engagement interview was about them, not about Meghan's pets. They were so kind to give a short explanation on their status (one in the UK, the other stayed in Canada) but moving an animal internationally might be worse from the perspective of the pet than leaving him/her at peace in a new home that he is already familiar with - as she has been gone a lot for the last year and a half. Moving a very sick pet to a different continent might be the best for/from the perspective of the pet owner (I am sure Meghan would have loved to have him with her) but not necessarily the best for the pet him/herself. It would be really hard to judge from the outside. I assume Meghan sought advice from the veterinarian and was advised not to move one of the two - and did what was best for the dog, not necessarily for her.

Unfortunately, my sister recently experienced that moving a pet (cat) is not without risks when their (seemingly completely healthy) cat died a few days after being moved (probably because of shock) - nobody even thought that might happen but it did.

I don't think Meghan needed to explain any more why Bogart isn't coming to UK. He's in a good home, well taken care of. That's all that matters. Meghan doesn't owe the public any explanation about it, and prying for more info would be intrusive.

Being married into or soon to be married into the BRF, one thing that I have learned is that your life is no longer your own, the only thing we really don't know about them is how many times they use the loo, what side of the bed do they sleep on, what is for breakfast.......yet having a furbaby which is Meghan's and she has had him long before Harry, yes it is her responsibility to not just take care of him but as now being in the public eye to let others know what happened to him for he has been a part of her life on social media and any thing that would happen to him would be of interest to those that are and have furbabies in their lives, like I do.

For me personally I would move heaven and earth for Payton, nothing comes before him in my life, nothing.....and I am sure it breaks Meghan's heart to leave him behind for after all he was there for her during good times and not so good times. If he has some type of illness that say he would not survive a long trip on the plane, ( I have taken all my dogs except Payton on very long air line trips across the US and Back) I can understand that. Dogs are just like us so called people, they have deep feelings of being abandoned and left behind, they suffer loss of another pet that is their companion like we suffer lose of a human, all animals are in a sense human like us 2 legged creatures, thing is they just look different and talk different yet we are all the same. If only more so called humans would truly understand not all creatures have to be like us so called 2 legged creatures for that is just what we all are.....creatures of this earth.?

Last edited:
Well. We do know that the Queen eats cold cereal out of tupperware boxes in the mornings. :D

I honestly believe that when it comes to furbabies, Meghan is among those that considers the adoption of one right up there as with adopting a child. I also believe that whatever decision she had to make, it was with Bogart's best interest at heart. Sometimes those decisions aren't the happiest ones for ourselves but the true parent opts in favor of the child.

I don't believe she has the obligation to inform all and sundry of each little decision she makes either. Most likely, if she did have to leave Bogart behind, its a raw, emotional thing for her still and not quite that easy to talk about. She knows Bogart is in the best place for him and is happy with the people he is with and has bonded to them so all is well.

:previous:
In my comment I never said Meghan had to tell of her every decision to the public, Bogart was with her on all social media, that was her choice to do that, and there are lots of people that relate to furbabies like you do as I do, so when something happens to one furbaby then those that have seen that on social media would take notice and wonder what was up.....if Bogart and his pictures were never on any social media of Meghan's then nothing would need to be said.?

Last summer there were several photos in the Daily Fail of Meghan taking Bogart to his veterinarian appointments. My hunch is that poor Bogie is not in the best of health, and a move to a new climate and country followed by six months in quarantine would be too much for him.:sad:

If Meghan is anything like me, being separated from her pet must be breaking her heart but she has the comfort of knowing that he is not stressed and is being cared for.

We have to remember too that this was their engagement interview and there were too many other things to focus on and other questions to really go into detail about Bogart. It may turn out that more information is forthcoming as you said, there's an interest in both of her dogs. Perhaps she'll be asked about Bogart on one of her walkabouts and volunteer more information. Its possible. :D

All this could get Camilla to start goading Meghan towards a new rescue furbaby. If Ellen could do it, Camilla can too. ?

Last edited:
Being married into or soon to be married into the BRF, one thing that I have learned is that your life is no longer your own, the only thing we really don't know about them is how many times they use the loo, what side of the bed do they sleep on, what is for breakfast.......yet having a furbaby which is Meghan's and she has had him long before Harry, yes it is her responsibility to not just take care of him but as now being in the public eye to let others know what happened to him for he has been a part of her life on social media and any thing that would happen to him would be of interest to those that are and have furbabies in their lives, like I do.

I honestly don't think Meghan has any responsibility in informing us why her dog can't travel across the pond. The Queen doesn't inform us when one of her corgis passes away. She's already said that he's staying with close friends and that should be enough. I don't know why some on here jumped to the worse conclusion about her abandoning him when she's brought Guy over. Obviously, something is different in their situations. I think we should really be careful about this issue. I'm sure it was a difficult decision for Meghan and it does hurt even when you know it's for the best. Let's try not to pour salt onto the wound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom