The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 05:29 PM

Somehow this thread has a way of veering so far off what is supposed to be a fantasy topic!!!! I mean, the thread is called Preferred (not likely) Wives for William and Harry. So all this nonsensical talk about the Act of Settlement is unnecessary here. On the other hand, it might be safer for people wanting to suggest "Catholic contenders" with a disclaimer, like: "Hey, I know this person isn't likely to marry William or Harry, but she represents my kind of hypothetical preference! So anyone who wants to throw the book at me and remind me of the British laws, I'm saving you the trouble with this disclaimer!"

Old 12-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ok, forget the Act of Settlement (I bet William and Harry would like to too) so my preferred wife for William would be his cousin Lady Gabriella. If we are to forget the Act of Settlement we can forget other things too......

Old 12-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
Ok, forget the Act of Settlement (I bet William and Harry would like to too) so my preferred wife for William would be his cousin Lady Gabriella. If we are to forget the Act of Settlement we can forget other things too......
But then Ella is a bit older than William ... she is born April 23, 1981 ... whereas William is born in June 1982 ...
Old 12-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Prince Charles was, what, thirteen years older than Lady Diana? I know there's a double standard about age when it comes to older women and younger men, but surely a different of barely more than a year would be less than meaningful.

Not that I'm condoning a Kent-Wales marriage. Can you imagine Princess Michael as a mother-in-law?

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 12-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Majesty

Do you personally know Princess Michael? A negative public image does not necessarily mean that she will be a mother-in-law from the hell. People complain about negative remards aimed Miss Middleton or Duchess of Cornwall asking to avoid passing judgements because we do know them personally. However, it seems all right to make negative comments about minor royals.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I'm just joking, Al_bina. That's what I was trying to convey with the "wink" smiley face.

HM The Queen
Old 12-03-2008, 06:40 PM

OK

(deep breath)

Al bina is right.

But........... I have to admit, Princess Michael is kind of a scary figure. I don't know why. It's completely irrational, but she has always rather frightened me.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

Princess Michael could probably prove a most constructive and advantageous mother-in-law.
She's smart, glamourous and charming....

I know someone who sat beside her 6 years ago at a Jubilee banquet at Windsor Castle and he said she was the most intelligent and interesting person in the Castle!! She has a great sense of humour and knows her history.
She has written 4 books and must have researched them all or partically, so she's no dumb-bell...

Larry
Old 12-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Nobility

I seriously don't see how age matters. Women are marrying men 20 years older than them now! Although it does sound better when the man is older. It's just a number, it has to do with the level of maturity, for some women marriage suits them when they are younger, others don't mature as fast.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i think she will aprove it. she is a nice girl, seems to be from a 'good house' and she seems to be intelligent.
I agree with you carlota why not ...
Old 12-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Not everyone has a narrow or traditional definition of "Christian".
Some people, like me, respect Jesus' teachings above all others because his life reached the highest place of spiritual evolution. Yet my spirituality is not limited to the Christian religion. For me, spirituality encompasses a mixture of Christian, Buddhist, and Quantum Mechanics.
Yes, that's you CasiraghiTrio, but the Queen is a devout Christian and she surely minds with the faith of future children of William and Harry. William will be one day the head of the Anglican Church. The queen knows that if William (who doesnt seem to be very religious) marries a very devout roman catholic or a devout muslim... probably the lady will want to raise their children according to her beliefs... If it's difficult to imagine a british heir marrying a Muslim or an Indian young girl it is even more difficult to imagine a british king/queen professing non-anglican beliefs.

Even if the bride-to-be says "I am not a roman catholic anymore", who knows if she is telling the truth? It's always very difficult for us (and for the queen I guess) to know if they changed her faith because they really changed their mind or because they would do anything to marry a Prince.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
But then Ella is a bit older than William ... she is born April 23, 1981 ... whereas William is born in June 1982 ...
Maybe he likes older women LOL

Lady Gabriella would make a great queen of any country!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
I'm just joking, Al_bina. That's what I was trying to convey with the "wink" smiley face.
I do apologise for my rant. At the same time, I find it annoying when people criticise Prince and Princess Michael without a good reason. One thing we can acknowledge is that the couple in question has done a wonderful job of bringing up Lady Gabriella.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

No problem, Al_bina -- tone is notoriously tough to both convey and read over the Internet, I think.

I do agree that Lady Gabriella and her parents seem like fascinating people, and I think Ella seems rather well grounded. I like that she's an independent woman with her own career in journalism. I didn't realize that she and William were so close in age -- she comes off as so sophisticated and mature, where William still seems like quite a young person in some ways.

HM The Queen
Old 12-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Majesty

Given all inter-relationships between the Royal Families of Europe (although it's not so tight as it was in the past), is a marriage between second-cousins-once-removed who are related to each other in different ways actually a good idea?

I'm a little squeamish about this prospective match. They've appeared on the Buckingham Palace balconey a bit too often as members of the same family. Perhaps it's a North American thing, but we really don't like the idea of first or second cousins marrying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeda2000 View Post
I agree with you carlota why not ...
Old 12-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Royal Highness

Hmmmm.....well, I must say, that as a North American I do not think that we really look too fondly on marrying our first and second cousins either but since it was brought up, I was I was under the impression that Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburg were second cousins once removed through Christian IX of Denmark as well as third cousins (both sharing Queen Victoria as a great great grandmother. So......

I do agree, Princess Madeline of Sweden would be a wonderful choice for one of the Princes. She is truly a beauty, has grace, and would undoubtably bring some nice jewelry to the union!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 12-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Majesty

That's what I meant, jcbcode. I'm Canadian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
Hmmmm.....well, I must say, that as a North American I do not think that we really look too fondly on marrying our first and second cousins either
Old 12-04-2008, 03:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I am quoting "me" to bring your attention to the very last sentence of my post "If we are to forget the Act of Settlement we can forget other things too" the cousin relationship for instance....
I wouldn´t want Princess Michael for my mother-in-law, that would mean I was married to Freddie.....
I haven´t the admiration that Al Bina has for the two Kent parents I am afraid. He, I think is one of the best looking men of the BRF family. The Princess was accused of plagiarism at the time of the publication of her books but so what. She once had a wonderful fall in the middle of a ballroom and managed to get up fairly gracefully and laugh. Otherwise I know nothing about the parents but for looks Lady Gabriella for me is really a lovely young woman and she has a head that a crown would look very well on..
Old 12-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Commoner

Gabriella & William just feels... wrong I guess, maybe I'm just used to thinking of them as members of the same family, but they're not really close relatives at all.
... Only they are related through several lines... Very traditional really. Queen Victoria would approve!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I am quoting "me" to bring your attention to the very last sentence of my post "If we are to forget the Act of Settlement we can forget other things too" the cousin relationship for instance....
I wouldn´t want Princess Michael for my mother-in-law, that would mean I was married to Freddie.....
I haven´t the admiration that Al Bina has for the two Kent parents I am afraid. He, I think is one of the best looking men of the BRF family. The Princess was accused of plagiarism at the time of the publication of her books but so what. She once had a wonderful fall in the middle of a ballroom and managed to get up fairly gracefully and laugh. Otherwise I know nothing about the parents but for looks Lady Gabriella for me is really a lovely young woman and she has a head that a crown would look very well on..
Ella sure is one lovely young women. I fully agree. However, she also appears to be very independant and adventurous to me. Just look at all the travelling she has done so far or read her articles. In particular in her writings one can see that she does have her own mind IMHO. I doubt Ella could integrate in the RF giving giving up her independant mind. No, she sure is a perfect member of the extended RF, but that's it.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Avicenna my words of "wisdom " were based solely on looks, they would look good together, nothing else. As a couple I don´t think they would be compatible at all.
Fantasy is fantasy. But, the girl really would look wonderful in a crown.

Closed Thread

Tags
marriage, prince harry, prince william