The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Gentry

Exactly, the German countesses could convert to Anglicanism before marriage.

Lady Gabriella is Prince William's second cousin once removed. Her father Prince Michael of Kent is the Queen's first cousin. Also, her grandmother Marina of Greece and Denmark was a first cousin of Prince Philip, so she is also a third cousin of Prince William Dynastically its a perfect match.

Both her mother, Baroness Marie Christine von Reibnitz (German/Austro-Hungarian) and his mother, Lady Diana Spencer (British aristocracy) were "outcrosses" to the usual Oldenburg/Saxe-Coburg-Gotha/Battenberg set of bloodlines which dominate the pedigrees of the modern European monarchies. So I don't think there would be any risk of any unwelcome ailments in their issue (it seems haemophylia has been "bred out" and the last royal was porphyria was Prince William of Gloucester and some distant German cousins).

Old 12-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
If the British Royal family decides to look for a proper lady of an aristocratic origin, I think that the Hapsburgs can be taken into consideration. A lady can convert to Anglicanism. Why not?

Yes, a lady can. But maybe she doesn't want to? Maybe she doesn't want to sell out her faith for an "advantageous" marriage only because some people not personally involved would like to see the old traditions reign forever and ever? I've met Andrea Neipperg and got the impression that her faith means something to her. I don't know about her daughters but I personally guess they're quite happy not be lambs for the slaughter of the European marriage mart and are not forced to give up things they love for the sake of others.

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Majesty

Prospects of sitting on the British throne may outweigh religious affiliations. Who knows? The family in question has been approached with a proposal yet. It is impossible for us to determine what they may do, if they get a proposal. I am sure that British Royal family is not going to force the Hapsburgs to accept the proposal.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Gentry

Plus, many royal's religious affiliations are only nominal, born out of tradition, (ie, their family has been Catholic or Lutheran or whatever for genrations) and not out of a deep, personal convinction.

I mean, the many escapades and scandals of the BRF don't exactly suggest a deep, personal Christian faith.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Serene Highness

The Queen has always shown a deep reverence for the Church of England. Likewise, Charles is a man who respects many faiths. I think it is a bit premature to determine whether or not William and Harry have deep spiritual beliefs or not.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:42 PM
Majesty

Right. I forgot about Prince Charles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velasco View Post
Lady Gabriella is Prince William's second cousin once removed. Her father Prince Michael of Kent is the Queen's first cousin.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Majesty

Sometimes I think that she's the last in her immediate family who does. This saddens me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
The Queen has always shown a deep reverence for the Church of England.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
The Queen has always shown a deep reverence for the Church of England. Likewise, Charles is a man who respects many faiths. I think it is a bit premature to determine whether or not William and Harry have deep spiritual beliefs or not.[my bolding]
That will help Prince Charles to better accept non-Anglican daughters-in-law.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

I always hoped that William would marry Madeleine of Sweden.
They're both the same age and would be a good looking king & queen....
But, it looks like Madeleine has found someone else and I don't even know if Wills and maddie know each other. I've never seen a picture of them together.

Larry
Old 12-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Gentry

Yes, the Queen, Queen-Mother, and most of the older generation (ie, Princess Alice) all seem to have very deep faith. Indeed, overall they seem to be people of much greater "substance" in terms of character than their grandchildren and great-grandchildren, who seomtimes come across as rather "frivolous".

I believe Prince Charles respects other faiths, but honestly...after all of the sordid details we know from his marriage to Diana, especially well publicised, ahem, physical relationship with Camilla whilst they were not married, do not seem to me indicative of someone who has a personal convinction of faith in Christianity, or indeed, any other religion (like his mother and predecessors seem to have).

As for Prince William and Harry, I really can't say anything about Prince Wills but again, Harry's escapades make it hard to seriously consider that he has a deep faith and belief in the teachings of the Anglican Church.
--------------------------------
Another great wife for William would be Duchess Helene Eugenie in Bavaria. If she would convert and her sisters renounce their claims, we would finally see the return of the Jacobite heirs to the British throne Which would perfect dynastically
Old 12-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Majesty

Prince William and Princess Madeleine of Sweden ... that would be the wedding of the century.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchiolarry View Post
Hi,

I always hoped that William would marry Madeleine of Sweden.
They're both the same age and would be a good looking king & queen....
But, it looks like Madeleine has found someone else and I don't even know if Wills and maddie know each other. I've never seen a picture of them together.

Larry
Yes, they would be a perfect match.
She is royal and the role of Queen would fit her like a glove
She is the right age, and is very beautiful, and they would make a very glamorous couple.
And the marriage to a foreign royal princess after so many commoner-royal marriages would definitely excite alot of interest, as well as the fact that her sister will one day be Queen: it has been a long long time since the British monarch had any close familial relationship to another ruling monarch.

Overall, the perfect mix of royalty and celebrity.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

I've read than Madeleine of Sweden cannot marry while her sister, Victoria, is still single...
BUT if Madeleine and William wanted to get married to each other I am sure Madeleine's father wouldn't mind at all if Victoria is single, married or divorced
That would be a perfect royal wedding, IMO
Old 12-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Serene Highness

While I don't think William and Madeleine are a "perfect match", I do think that she would make an incredible queen!
Old 12-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Majesty

I agree with you, Velasco, and also with your comments re: William and Harry. I wonder how much spiritual guidance either young men has had, not including the lessons they presumably had before being confirmed in the Church of England? Anyway, I guess that this is a little off topic. Ooops!

Quote:
I believe Prince Charles respects other faiths, but honestly...do not seem to me indicative of someone who has a personal convinction of faith in Christianity, or indeed, any other religion (like his mother and predecessors seem to have).
Old 12-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Majesty

What about Princess Elisabeth von Thurn und Taxis? She seems to be sweet. Although Furtsin Gloria has found a faith and spurred some controversies, I think she can change for the sake of her daughter. Princess Elisabeth is truly aristocratic.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Nobility

We've heard William read scriptures from the Diana's memorial service and from the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh's anniversary service, he didn't read them carelessly, he was reading it with meaning.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
What about Princess Elisabeth von Thurn und Taxis? She seems to be sweet. Although Furtsin Gloria has found a faith and spurred some controversies, I think she can change for the sake of her daughter. Princess Elisabeth is truly aristocratic.
She´s Roman Catholic and the Act of Settlement is still in place so that would be a no no.
Nice idea though.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Yes, the Queen, Queen-Mother, and most of the older generation (ie, Princess Alice) all seem to have very deep faith. Indeed, overall they seem to be people of much greater "substance" in terms of character than their grandchildren and great-grandchildren, who seomtimes come across as rather "frivolous".

I believe Prince Charles respects other faiths, but honestly...after all of the sordid details we know from his marriage to Diana, especially well publicised, ahem, physical relationship with Camilla whilst they were not married, do not seem to me indicative of someone who has a personal convinction of faith in Christianity, or indeed, any other religion (like his mother and predecessors seem to have).

As for Prince William and Harry, I really can't say anything about Prince Wills but again, Harry's escapades make it hard to seriously consider that he has a deep faith and belief in the teachings of the Anglican Church.
--------------------------------
Another great wife for William would be Duchess Helene Eugenie in Bavaria. If she would convert and her sisters renounce their claims, we would finally see the return of the Jacobite heirs to the British throne Which would perfect dynastically
Not everyone has a narrow or traditional definition of "Christian".
Some people, like me, respect Jesus' teachings above all others because his life reached the highest place of spiritual evolution. Yet my spirituality is not limited to the Christian religion. For me, spirituality encompasses a mixture of Christian, Buddhist, and Quantum Mechanics (yes, I know, a lot people won't get the QM bit, you'd have to be "weird" like me, lol). And I know for certain I am not the only one. I mean, some of my favorite living spiritual teachers, like ECkhart Tolle and don Miguel Ruiz, are best selling authors. And another, the Dalai Lama, you may have heard of him. He is also a best selling author, among other things.

But I can't say anything about what Charles, William, Harry or other royals believe. Officially, I know they are bound to marry a woman who is confirmed in the Church of England. If she is not already, she will have to be converted.

I believe some royal Catholics would be willing to make the official switch. Some would be, some wouldn't be. It just depends on the flexibility level of their religious conviction.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
... But I can't say anything about what Charles, William, Harry or other royals believe. Officially, I know they are bound to marry a woman who is confirmed in the Church of England. If she is not already, she will have to be converted.
I believe some royal Catholics would be willing to make the official switch.[snipped and my bolding]
I could not agree more.

Tags
marriage, prince harry, prince william