The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 01:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Diana may have been very jealous of the women her sons dated but she was never a strict parent or firm disciplinarian by any stretch of the imagination. She rebelled against it and firmly wanted her sons to have a more lenient upbringing.

And the result is what we see today - two young men who appear to be always drunk in public and seem to avoid any traditional royal duties.

It may have seemed a good idea at the time but I think in hindsight it wasn't. Charles appears to have continued with her attitude after her death and consequently the idea of duty, with which he was imbued from the cradle, as was his mother, appears sadly lacking in his sons.

In hindsight I think Diana was a great mum to ordinary boys but for these two in their position I think a bit more of the Queen and Duke's approach was needed.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:48 AM
Aristocracy

Charles and Diana were really co-parents .They both had the same philosphy of how they wanted to raise their children. It was the one area in their lives together that they actually agreed with each other.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:51 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Diana may have been very jealous of the women her sons dated but she was never a strict parent or firm disciplinarian by any stretch of the imagination. She rebelled against it and firmly wanted her sons to have a more lenient upbringing.
Yeah I could only see Diana being slightly jealous for attention, not very strict with them and telling them to dump a girl cause she disapproved. It would be interesting to see how different they would be if she was still around...but...
Old 10-28-2007, 09:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

IMO if Diana was alive I don't think Harry would've gotten into so much trouble like wearing that halloween costume or sniffing vodka. Remember she died when Harry was 12 and William was 15 way before they would start to appear drunk in public.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
IMO if Diana was alive I don't think Harry would've gotten into so much trouble like wearing that halloween costume or sniffing vodka. Remember she died when Harry was 12 and William was 15 way before they would start to appear drunk in public.
They both would probably have a better handle on the media....she knew how to work it out and would've taught them well. Unfourtunately she died too soon to do so...especially with Harry.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
They both would probably have a better handle on the media....she knew how to work it out and would've taught them well. Unfourtunately she died too soon to do so...especially with Harry.
I hate saying this. I mean, of course I would wish Diana alive. But I think it's possible that in the case of her being alive, the princes might be even more spoiled. Both Charles and Diana were terribly over-indulgent. And Charles perhaps over did things anyway to compensate for the loss of Diana. But of course, it's impossible to say what the result would be like if Diana had survived the crash....
Old 10-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I doubt we'd see them behave very differently if Diana were still alive. They have had the example and influence of their grandparents as far as duty and how to behave in public is concerned and it doesn't seem to have left much of an impression. They were away from home at school, and, in William's case, university, for most of the time anyway, and would do as their peer group does, not what their parents might say. I think it was always likely that they would behave largely the way they have and do.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
I hate saying this. I mean, of course I would wish Diana alive. But I think it's possible that in the case of her being alive, the princes might be even more spoiled. Both Charles and Diana were terribly over-indulgent. And Charles perhaps over did things anyway to compensate for the loss of Diana. But of course, it's impossible to say what the result would be like if Diana had survived the crash....
I strongly dissagree with you, Diana did not overly spoil her children I read A Royal Duty and Paul Burrell never once said she spoiled them. I don't think Diana would've sat by and let her kids do whatever they want like Princess Caroline and her kids.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Royal Highness

I don't think Diana was spoiled as a child from divorce. Diana hated the way her parents gave her things and she had to choose between them. She was just coming into her own after the divorce and realizing that she didn't have much time with her children because of school, sharing time with Charles and the boys becoming teenagers Windsors.

I think she would have done her best to help the boys with guidance with drink, drugs, and sex. But we will never know how teenage boys would have responded. I do think Harry would have had less problems. I don't know about William.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Courtier

Well they say William is a lot like his mother as far as his general attitude. He was defintiely the closest to her in all ways...it's been said that he was her closest confidante which can be wrong and cute...however you want to look at it.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
Well they say William is a lot like his mother as far as his general attitude. He was defintiely the closest to her in all ways...it's been said that he was her closest confidante which can be wrong and cute...however you want to look at it.
Hmm. That does seem to be the case. My eldest tends to be my confidante as well. . . . .
Old 10-30-2007, 03:28 PM
Courtier

Well in After Diana...the author presented evidence pretty much saying that she told him A LOT of deeply personal things. That's why I said at times it could be wrong...or cute LOL. But in the end it sounds like it was a very special relationship...

The book even said at the end that William is less close with his father than Harry...and that could be for a lot of different reasons but I would say he is still his mother's son through and through, no matter how much other influence has been passed onto him after her death.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Well I don't tell my son deeply personal things, but a lot of the truth that he should know about. Especially about his father. And that's tough because he loves his father even though the guy's a complete looser.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57 View Post
And the result is what we see today - two young men who appear to be always drunk in public and seem to avoid any traditional royal duties.

It may have seemed a good idea at the time but I think in hindsight it wasn't. Charles appears to have continued with her attitude after her death and consequently the idea of duty, with which he was imbued from the cradle, as was his mother, appears sadly lacking in his sons.

In hindsight I think Diana was a great mum to ordinary boys but for these two in their position I think a bit more of the Queen and Duke's approach was needed.
I admire HM the Queen and HRH the Duke immensely for their devotion to duty and the strength of their marriage but somewhere along the line I feel they have not been successful in transmitting these lessons in relationships to their children as most have ended being divorced. I wish William and Harry to have successful marriages with the ladies they will eventually settle down with.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:37 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I don't think Diana was spoiled as a child from divorce. Diana hated the way her parents gave her things and she had to choose between them. She was just coming into her own after the divorce and realizing that she didn't have much time with her children because of school, sharing time with Charles and the boys becoming teenagers Windsors.

I think she would have done her best to help the boys with guidance with drink, drugs, and sex. But we will never know how teenage boys would have responded. I do think Harry would have had less problems. I don't know about William.
I agree on this.. we could see from one of the documentary when the children did interfere her during the speech training, she firmly ask them to sit and be quiet. There's a case when William was being naughty, she went to William and spanked his butt And its happen during sport day, if I'm not mistaken.. so, I think she might slightly quite strict with both her sons.

But yeah we never know if she's alive today, how she can handle her teenage boys... Boys will always be boys...and so do girls I agree it might be just like Princess Caroline with her children..except Diana might have lots of support from the strict rules of the British monarchy (compare to Monegasque monarchy)
Old 11-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Courtier

William and Amanda Hearst would be wild...2 big dynasty families coming together...and Amanda just has so much class and elegance.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:22 PM

Is Amanda Hearst still dating Jamie Johnson? (Love Jamie, met him some years ago, swell guy).
Old 11-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Is Amanda Hearst still dating Jamie Johnson? (Love Jamie, met him some years ago, swell guy).
I believe she is single at the moment. I remember that HBO special Jamie did though...
Old 11-10-2007, 06:50 PM

Jamie is brilliant. Born Rich was fantastic, I thought. He's not bad looking either. I used to have the craziest crush on him. I got over it, though I still think he's hot.... anyway, yeah, back OT, Amanda would look hot with Wills, but probably too hot. I dunno, I think maybe she's too hot for him.. hehe. Poor Wills.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Jamie is brilliant. Born Rich was fantastic, I thought. He's not bad looking either. I used to have the craziest crush on him. I got over it, though I still think he's hot.... anyway, yeah, back OT, Amanda would look hot with Wills, but probably too hot. I dunno, I think maybe she's too hot for him.. hehe. Poor Wills.
I just think an American girl like her coming from the Hearst family and going into the Windsor family of England would be fascinating to watch. The media would be very insane though not only in England but also in America...it was being discussed on TFS about these two and I defintiely think it would be an interesting match up...

I agree he would probably be grateful for a girl like Amanda to take interest in him...LOL

Closed Thread

Tags
marriage, prince harry, prince william