The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 11:57 PM
Courtier

I think that Prince William should marry someone whom he loves and feels comfortable with, and whom he can readily anticipate spending his life with.

If the CP of Denmark can marry an Australian and the CP of the Netherlands marry an Argentinian, I can't quite see that any particular nationality will automatically prove more suitable than any other to William or any other man.

Let's just hope that his final choice, be it Kate or another, will make him completely happy, whoever she is and wherever she's from.

Polly

Old 10-31-2006, 03:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly
I think that Prince William should marry someone whom he loves and feels comfortable with, and whom he can readily anticipate spending his life with.

If the CP of Denmark can marry an Australian and the CP of the Netherlands marry an Argentinian, I can't quite see that any particular nationality will automatically prove more suitable than any other to William or any other man.

Let's just hope that his final choice, be it Kate or another, will make him completely happy, whoever she is and wherever she's from.

Polly
Well said, I totally agree Polly.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Polly

Quoted for truth.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 11-01-2006, 01:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:

Polly

I agree with you, Polly, because of the commonalities between the European and British people. As Mary is adjusting to a Danish culture and raising children as the Danes do, William's wife would have to do the same and rear them as the British do.

In addition, Maxima comes from a European Italian (?) line and has a lot of European culture in her background. I have some really good friends from Mendosa and between the German's and Italians and the culture there, Maxima shouldn't have any problems living in a European country. Except, of course, they don't serve mate (pronounced ma-tay) there, which is absolutely delicious and an Argentinian staple.

So, there's not many differences between those spouses and the crown princes, except for commoners and royalty. They have a strong ancestral European background.

Again, a strong kinship exists between those countries and their people's and the Europeans and Brits.

The Danes & Dutch are keeping with their roots, yet bringing in some fresh culture, not much unlike their own, but a little diverse for making the marriage a little more interesting.

I think William and Kate will make a fine couple as she brings in an interesting 'common folk' background, yet much like William.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

I Belive if we are serious about "A For William" Kate is the Right choice (and furthermore I Belive they both know that) Belive me the press isnt pushing anything Kate or William havent already thought about themselves just my 2 pence
Old 11-05-2006, 06:22 AM
Royal Highness

this thought occured to me yesterday and i wondered what others thought about it.

i wonder if william and kate were alread engaged and considering what happened with diana, BP is keeping it all quiet until william is finished his officer training and all things that come with it. this would be a good time to let Catherine learn a lot of the things that would be part of her new life as a Princess rather than the "baptism by fire" that diana and sarah had to go through. saying that william had to finish his responsibilities involved in training would be a good "mask" for keeping any announcement quiet for the time being. of course this is just my thoughts and wondered what others were thinking too?
Old 11-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Courtier

I thought about Duchess, but I really don't think that is the case. When and if they do get engaged, I think it will more than likely be next year, and they probably will announce it right away, since Wills is the heir and all. But you could be right. There is always a possibility.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Heres my Theory, As far as I Know William will get his Commission on December 15th later that day They (Clarence House and Buckingham Palace) will annouce there engagement and admit that he proposed to her on the Bahamas Trip and that they will be known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex They will marry Between August 16th and December 25th 2007 at Westminster Abbey or St Geoges Chapel. Harry will be bestman
Old 11-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess
this thought occured to me yesterday and i wondered what others thought about it.

i wonder if william and kate were alread engaged and considering what happened with diana, BP is keeping it all quiet until william is finished his officer training and all things that come with it. this would be a good time to let Catherine learn a lot of the things that would be part of her new life as a Princess rather than the "baptism by fire" that diana and sarah had to go through. saying that william had to finish his responsibilities involved in training would be a good "mask" for keeping any announcement quiet for the time being. of course this is just my thoughts and wondered what others were thinking too?
I totally agree with you Duchess. I think they already are marking time until they can become engaged. I don't think it will happen for another year or so -- doesn't he have to be at least 25 so that he doesn't formally need the Queen's permission? It goes without saying he'll want and need the Queen's approval, but that is a different matter.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise
I totally agree with you Duchess. I think they already are marking time until they can become engaged. I don't think it will happen for another year or so -- doesn't he have to be at least 25 so that he doesn't formally need the Queen's permission? It goes without saying he'll want and need the Queen's approval, but that is a different matter.
As the spare to the throne, William must receive the permission of The Queen and the approval of the Prime Minister to marry, regardless of his age. I highly doubt The Queen is willing to entertain a marriage for quite some time. He's too young.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

He's older than she was when she got married.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
As the spare to the throne, William must receive the permission of The Queen and the approval of the Prime Minister to marry, regardless of his age. I highly doubt The Queen is willing to entertain a marriage for quite some time. He's too young.

At the moment he needs the consent of the Queen under the RMA and the approval of the PM as more a courtesy (not in law as far as I am aware - please link to the legislation requiring PM's consent).

Once he turns 25, if the monarch doesn't approve he can seek approval from Parliament and wait for a year. If neither the House of Commons or House of Lords objects then he can marry.

Under that scenario he wouldn't be marrying until he is 26.

As I am sure he will want the approval of his grandmother I don't think he will go that route but will only ask for approval to marry someone he knows his grandmother, and father, will agree to.

As I have said before I don't expect any engagement until after 20th November 2007 - i.e. after the 60th wedding anniversary of the present Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh's own wedding day. I have read this somewhere but can't find a reference to it now. I would like to think that the focus next year will be on this wonderful partnership between two people who clearly love and care for each other and set such a great example for the young people.

I have also read that the Queen has told her grandchildren that they have to date a partner for at least 5 years before she will even considering her consent - once I read this in the New Idea/Women's Day here in Australia so I do take that comment with a very llllaaarrrgggeee grain of salt but...
Old 11-07-2006, 03:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

I can't see William marrying before he's 30. He's only 2 weeks younger than I am, and I am hardly ready for marriage and I doubt he is too. My parents got married young, so I'm not opposed to young marriage. They're going on 35 years together, so it can work.....but I'd rather see William wait a while before making that kind of choice. If Kate is the one he's meant to be with forever, I think she'd stick around.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 11-07-2006, 03:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
I have also read that the Queen has told her grandchildren that they have to date a partner for at least 5 years before she will even considering her consent - once I read this in the New Idea/Women's Day here in Australia so I do take that comment with a very llllaaarrrgggeee grain of salt but...
While I'll refrain from making any comment about the source this story has a ring of truth to it. It sounds like the sort of thing I'd expect from a sensible woman who has seen what can happen when two people who haven't had the opportunity to get to know each other well enough to know that they are ill-suited, marry for the wrong reasons. After five years in the spotlight a couple should either be sure they want to marry or will have stopped seeing each other.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

I cannot imagine a scenario where The Queen would approve a marriage for William before he has completed his military service and taken up public duties. For her, duty to the Crown comes first and William is very close to the throne at this point.

I would think she will want to see a strong commitment to his duties before entertaining marriage.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Wasn't there something like that that was done some years ago for British tv? I think it was a show, something like "Find a wife" (or "find a bride," whatever) for William. All I remember about this was that Holly Branson apparently won the vote that was held.
Wasn't it Channel4's "A Wife for William"? There was 3 categories of possibles wives: the Princesses or royal-blood ladies, the commoner heiresses, and the celebrities. People were invited to vote for their favorite candidate.
Charlotte Casiraghi was the winner for the 1st category, Holly Branson for the second, but I can't remember the last one.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:42 PM

It was Estelle Getty. William's said to be quite keen.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
I cannot imagine a scenario where The Queen would approve a marriage for William before he has completed his military service and taken up public duties. For her, duty to the Crown comes first and William is very close to the throne at this point.

I would think she will want to see a strong commitment to his duties before entertaining marriage.
Ah! The "no pudding for you till you've eaten all your greens" approach It always worked for me as a child, but then I've always been very fond of pudding

But is it really deprivation for William to be denied marriage until he's done his stint with the various services? Assuming Kate is "the one", as it is they can spend plenty of time together without the restrictions on their freedom that marriage will bring. Once married they will have to behave like grownups and run a household and have to entertain and attend formal functions together, and of course be under pressure to produce children. Life as it is might suit William and Kate very nicely, and it could be that they are very happy to postpone marriage for a few years so they can enjoy what they have now for as long as possible.

OTOH, it might be that William will be more inclined to dedicate himself to his duty if he has the woman he loves by his side to help him. And in a sense William's main duty is to produce children.

All will be revealed in the fullness of time of course, but in the meantime it's fun to speculate.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
William's main duty is to produce children.

It will be his wife's duty to provide the children, he will only play a small part!
Old 11-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
It will be his wife's duty to provide the children, he will only play a small part!
He may disagree with you!

Tags
marriage, prince harry, prince william