The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 06:36 PM

Well let's not over exagerrate. I don't think modern Britain would accept any other than a British girl and she'd have to be squeaky clean. I can't see a Mette-Marit going down well here at all.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Well let's not over exagerrate. I don't think modern Britain would accept any other than a British girl and she'd have to be squeaky clean. I can't see a Mette-Marit going down well here at all.
not sure what you thought was being over exagerrated. i said i agreed that it should be a british girl...only that religion didn't matter.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:44 PM

Well, you said that "Diana didn't really fit in but the world loved her". That's an over exaggeration. The world did not love her. The media did.

As to religion, it'll be C of E and if she isn't cradle C of E she won't even be considered. Then again, the Prince of Wales has practised as Orthodox and shows Buddhist beliefs so who knows what they'll allow.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Well, you said that "Diana didn't really fit in but the world loved her". That's an over exaggeration. The world did not love her. The media did.

As to religion, it'll be C of E and if she isn't cradle C of E she won't even be considered. Then again, the Prince of Wales has practised as Orthodox and shows Buddhist beliefs so who knows what they'll allow.
you may not have loved her but i think the grief showed around the world and the events that unfolded outside the gates of KP during that week would pretty much prove how the world felt about her. as for william's future wife not even being considered unless she's C of E....if you read back through this thread some very good points were made that that bridge will be crossed if and when we ever get to it.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:54 PM

I'm happy to accept a segment of the western world liked her but I'm afraid I can't accept that the world, the planet, the globe, the earth - loved her. That is an over exaggeration. Buddhist monks in Tibet didn't love her, nomads in the Desert didn't love her, I didn't love her - therefore, it would be wrong to say that the whole world loved her.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I'm happy to accept a segment of the western world liked her but I'm afraid I can't accept that the world, the planet, the globe, the earth - loved her. That is an over exaggeration. Buddhist monks in Tibet didn't love her, nomads in the Desert didn't love her, I didn't love her - therefore, it would be wrong to say that the whole world loved her.
well now who's exagerrating? how can you say that those people didn't love her? you can't speak for those people. perhaps it would've been more accurate on my part to say that she was love the world over rather than love by the world. i'll settle for you didn't love her and that 100% of the population of the world didn't love her.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Just a little reminder that this thread is titled "A wife for William", so perhaps it would be better to stick more to the topic.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 10-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Just a little reminder that this thread is titled "A wife for William", so perhaps it would be better to stick more to the topic.
just a little friendly debate...this is related to the topic.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:19 PM

I say those people didnt love her because they didnt know her. Nomads and Monks would have access to TV or newspapers which was where her cult worship took place. Therefore, they couldnt have participated and cannot be counted as fans. It's interesting that you bring this world-wide popularity idea when discussing William's future wife because it highlights an important point. In Britain, we don't want another consort like Diana who goes worldwide. In other parts of the World that really shouldn't care about our Royals, they are desperate for another consort like Diana. What'll be interesting is how the "world" will recieve William's wife. The press are already comparing Diana and Kate so I think we have our answer.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I say those people didnt love her because they didnt know her. Nomads and Monks would have access to TV or newspapers which was where her cult worship took place. Therefore, they couldnt have participated and cannot be counted as fans. It's interesting that you bring this world-wide popularity idea when discussing William's future wife because it highlights an important point. In Britain, we don't want another consort like Diana who goes worldwide. In other parts of the World that really shouldn't care about our Royals, they are desperate for another consort like Diana. What'll be interesting is how the "world" will recieve William's wife. The press are already comparing Diana and Kate so I think we have our answer.
since you can't speak for the entire population of britain to say that they don't all want another consort like diana, neither can you say that the rest of the world wants one like diana. hopefully william will choose a wife that he thinks is suitable for her future role - someone that can represent the UK and the commonwealth appropriately. whether it's kate or someone else.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:29 PM

lol - I do know that they don't have access to television. Nomads wouldn't get a reception in the middle of the desert and couldnt afford televisions. Buddhist Monks of the Tibetan tradition arent allowed to watch TV and don't read newspapers or magazines. So it isn't a generalisation, it's fact.

I can't speak for the entire population of Britain but I can speak for statistics and for what the majority are heard to be saying and at present they are saying that the Diana years were fraught, frantic and embarrassing, especially in the years before her death when she had become a liability to Britain and a problem for the Government. Therefore, another consort that did all that and behaved the way she did would only be the final nail in the Windsor coffin and the people of Britain would soon tire of a Monarchy that had become a soap opera again - which is what Diana made it.

William won't choose a wife. He'll suggest one to the Queen, the Prime Minister, the Archbishop of Canterbury and the people. If we all say "No thankyou", he can't marry her. Or he can, and he'll have to go into exile. As the lady in your avatar proved.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
lol - I do know that they don't have access to television. Nomads wouldn't get a reception in the middle of the desert and couldnt afford televisions. Buddhist Monks of the Tibetan tradition arent allowed to watch TV and don't read newspapers or magazines. So it isn't a generalisation, it's fact.

I can't speak for the entire population of Britain but I can speak for statistics and for what the majority are heard to be saying and at present they are saying that the Diana years were fraught, frantic and embarrassing, especially in the years before her death when she had become a liability to Britain and a problem for the Government. Therefore, another consort that did all that and behaved the way she did would only be the final nail in the Windsor coffin and the people of Britain would soon tire of a Monarchy that had become a soap opera again - which is what Diana made it.

William won't choose a wife. He'll suggest one to the Queen, the Prime Minister, the Archbishop of Canterbury and the people. If we all say "No thankyou", he can't marry her. Or he can, and he'll have to go into exile. As the lady in your avatar proved.
well since tibetan monks can indeed have access to media (the wedding of the buddhist leader was recently held in canada AND televised and attended by buddhist monks AND since the wedding couple met at buddhist monestary and were able to contact each other via phone and text message then i'd say that some of your "facts" are incorrect and buddhist monks do indeed have access to media and technology. also these statistics that you mention take into account a very small part of the overall population, just as most statistics do because the people that supposedly manage these statistics don't talk to everybody. so in fact william CAN choose any woman he wants he just has to accept the responsibility that goes along with choosing any woman he wants. i wonder though if he would, in this day and age have to resort to the same kind of punishment that his great uncle had to endure because the british media was forced by the gov't of the day and the royals not to keep the people informed?
Old 10-25-2006, 08:25 PM

Notice I said monks in the Tibetan tradition. There are many schools of Buddhism, some allow their monks different privelages. As I originally said monks in Tibet, I'm quite confident that they don't have access to the media. But this is beside the point.

You say that William can choose any woman he wants, but in reality, he can't. There won't be another abdication crisis. The Queen wouldn't allow it. I think it's safe to say that any girl who wasn't good enough would be swiftly crushed before she made the front page.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Notice I said monks in the Tibetan tradition. There are many schools of Buddhism, some allow their monks different privelages. As I originally said monks in Tibet, I'm quite confident that they don't have access to the media. But this is beside the point.

You say that William can choose any woman he wants, but in reality, he can't. There won't be another abdication crisis. The Queen wouldn't allow it. I think it's safe to say that any girl who wasn't good enough would be swiftly crushed before she made the front page.
well these are monks in the tibetan tradition and their leader lived in a monestary in tibet and had access to television and other sources of media.

william can marry any woman he wants as long as he's willing to take the consequences. camilla was non negotiable so the queen/gov't/public didn't hold as much power as many people think. they married, just as they wanted to and he will, barring death become king and she will be queen. what if william takes the same stand and his choice is "non negotiable"?
Old 10-25-2006, 08:41 PM

It's possible I suppose. Anyway, that really isn't the important thing here as we've reached a consensus that to say she was globally loved was a little OTT.

Charles is in his late 50s and has built up a huge legacy of great work. Therefore he can be bullish in his private life and tell these young and new ministers that things are non-negotiable. William is a boy. He has no experience. Therefore, if he said Kate was non-negotiable I suspect he'd be laughed at and have that chip knocked firmly from his shoulder.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Well, Sophie did make that major mistake early on and got caught with the Sheikh. If Kate is serving the apprenticeship then I think the boy is making a mistake but that's based on only what I've seen. Without sounding snobbish, I think he could do better.
Well to be honest about the issue with the Sheik, Sophie didn't know that it was a reporter. To me the press is sinking pretty low these days in order to get a story, rather than just report on the news as it's happening.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:25 AM
Nobility

Quote:
It's possible I suppose. Anyway, that really isn't the important thing here as we've reached a consensus that to say she was globally loved was a little OTT.

Charles is in his late 50s and has built up a huge legacy of great work. Therefore he can be bullish in his private life and tell these young and new ministers that things are non-negotiable. William is a boy. He has no experience. Therefore, if he said Kate was non-negotiable I suspect he'd be laughed at and have that chip knocked firmly from his shoulder.
It's a good thing, then that William's current choice doesn't seem to have met with much opposition from the 'Firm' so far. Nothing has surfaced from Kate Middleton's past that would be considered scandalous or make her an unacceptable choice, so currently it looks like William would be able to choose Kate as his princess (if he wants) without any controversy or chip-knockings.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:15 AM

Maybe thats her problem. There's nothing interesting about her. She's just plain.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:14 AM
Courtier

Everyone has some skeletons in their closet. Whether small or large, something will eventually surface that the BRF will not like. Each of us have done things in the past that were not soooo good. I'm sure Kate is not an "Angel."
Old 10-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
FWIW (and I admit that's not very much) I didn't love her. I thought she was a bit of a pest, and that's the mild version.

Quote:
William might be a boy, but he's the boy who, albeit due to accident of birth and nothing else - all going well - will be King. If he says Kate's not negotiable, then she's not negotiable. No-one should be laughing at him.

I, personally, am rather impressed by these Royal folk who say, "Stuff it! I love this woman, she makes my life worth living and I'm not going to give her up for anyone or anything." People who think that way make me care about them. Maybe it's the rebellious Colonial in me.

Tags
marriage, prince harry, prince william