Preferred Wives For William and Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Between two reigning houses last happened in 1981 with the marriage of Princess Margaretha of Luxembourg and Prince Nicolaus of Liechtenstein.
Marriages of members of former reigning houses happen more frequently, the last one I recall this quickly was the marriage of Archduke Paul-Georg of Austria and Duchess Eilika of Oldenburg in the late nineties.

It also happened with Caroline of Monaco and Ernst August of Hanover (not reigning of course).

Marengo said:
Between two reigning houses last happened in 1981 with the marriage of Princess Margaretha of Luxembourg and Prince Nicolaus of Liechtenstein.
Marriages of members of former reigning houses happen more frequently, the last one I recall this quickly was the marriage of Archduke Paul-Georg of Austria and Duchess Eilika of Oldenburg in the late nineties.

Zonk said:
It also happened with Caroline of Monaco and Ernst August of Hanover (not reigning of course).

Thank you both very much. :)

Penny Lane said:
Wouldn't it cause some kind of crisis for William or maybe even Harry to marry Charlotte Casaraghi? I thought heirs to the British Throne couldn't marry someone of the Catholic faith without having to give up the their right to the throne.?
I think Kate Middleton seems like a great choice myself.

Oh yes, that is true. It's just fun to fantasize about it. I am sure that he'll marry a commoner, even if it's not Kate. Poor thing, I wouldn't want that job for sure, but I guess if she loves Wills, she'll do what she has to do...

I thought that William and Victoria weren't allowed to marry each other because they were the "next" in line for the throne. I heard somewhere that one of them has to give up their title, but both seem certain that they do want to in fact be king/queen of their own perspective country one day. I think that both of them do have good head on their shoulders and would do an excellent job at it. and isn't William wiht Kate anyway???

leilanijoy said:
I thought that William and Victoria weren't allowed to marry each other because they were the "next" in line for the throne. I heard somewhere that one of them has to give up their title

They are allowed to marry each other. But indeed it is 'undesirable' in our modern era that husband and wife are head-of-state of two countries at the same time. Prince William could become Prince of Sweden and leave the throne to his brother Prince Henry ('Harry'). Or Crown Princess Victoria could become Princess William of Wales and leave the throne to her brother Prince Carl-Philip (again).

They do not need to give up their title:

William goes to Sweden:
HKH Victoria, Sveriges Kronprinsessa, Prinsessa av Storbritannien och Nordirland, Hertiginna av Västergötland
HKH Vilhelm, Sveriges Prins, Prins av Storbritannien och Nordirland

Victoria goes to the United Kingdom:
HRH Prince William of Wales
HRH Princess William of Wales, Princess of Sweden, Duchess of Västergötland

Last edited:
I was under the assumption that if William married a commoner [one without a royal title] she would be HRH Princess William of Wales. If he were to marry someone of the blood royal, she would be HRH *her name* of Wales. So wouldn't Victoria, if for some reason she married William, be HRH Princess Victoria of Wales?

Henri M. said:
Or Crown Princess Victoria could become Princess William of Wales
Victoria is a princess on her own so it that case she wouldn't be called princess william.

Solange said:
Victoria is a princess on her own so it that case she wouldn't be called princess william.
I don't know.... she is a princess of the blood in Sweden. If she married Prince William (I agree, not likely, won't happen, but hypothetically speaking) she would take his name as the wife of a Prince of the United Kingdom. She would be HRH PRincess Victoria of Sweden and Princess William of Wales.
But I don't think you can say "Princess Victoria of Wales", since the Wales part is William's title.

The woman takes the style of the man, even if she's a blood princess, right? Queen Alexandra was HRH Princess Alexandra of Denmark, but when she married Prince Edward, she was HRH Princess Alexandra, Princess of Wales.

She would be styled under whichever title is greatest. If her own is greater, she may go by it instead of her husband's but generally if the husband's is greater in rank, she is styled by it even if she is legally bound by her own.

Caroline of Monaco is styled HRH of Hanover because Royal Highnesses are greater in rank than Serene Highesses. However, the German Royalty is not recognized--just called as such for courtesy so her recognized/legal title still is Her Serene Highness Princess Caroline of Monaco though she is referred to as Her Royal Highness Caroline of Hanover in almost everything...right down to her stationery.

Lets try a better example using the British RF.
If Beatrice were to marry Caroline's son Andrea, Beatrice would still be styled Her Royal Highness Princess Beatrice of Great Britain as Andrea has no title. But Andrea could become Prince Andrea if his uncle dies without further children and his mother become the reigning Princess. However, until Andrea would be a reigning Sovereign Prince, Beatrice would remain HRH Princess Beatrice because it is of higher rank than the heir Andrea's HSH.

Its all presumption because until the current babies are ready to marry, I doubt another "equal" Royal marriage will be possible given the Crown and religious prohibitions facing the current eligibles.

It would be impressive if William marries royal or at least noble woman. But I think his current girlfriend could make a good spouse. She's educated, seems down-to-earth, demure but can be also elegant. William and Kate are in long relationship that seems respectful and happy.If he has happy realtionship why to look around for something else?;)

Sister Morphine said:
If I had my way, I'd have William marry Madeleine. Just because I'd love to see a marriage between blood royals of two foreign houses.

I'd love to see this too! They would have such beautiful kids! And I'd have Prince Harry marry Charlotte Casiraghi. Think of the partying the younger Windsors would be doing!:ohmy: :clap:

William and Charlotte Casiraghi .. it would be nice match :wub: ;) and beautiful kids.:clap:

Lakshmi said:
William and Charlotte Casiraghi .. it would be nice match :wub: ;) and beautiful kids.:clap:

I don't know if they could marry. Isn't Charlotte Catholic? If so, he can't marry her without giving up his place in the line of succession as the Act of Settlement prohibits those in line from marrying Catholics.

Sister Morphine said:
I don't know if they could marry. Isn't Charlotte Catholic? If so, he can't marry her without giving up his place in the line of succession as the Act of Settlement prohibits those in line from marrying Catholics.

Charolotte is Catholic. So if Prince William and Charlotte Casiraghi would theoritically want to marry, Charlotte would have to convert to Anglican Church.

Last edited:
Avalon said:
Charolotte is Catholic. So if Prince William and Charlotte Casiraghi would theoritically want to marry, Charlotte would have to convert to Anglican Church.

Actually there are two possible results if William really wanted to marry Charlotte.

1. Charlotte converts and William becomes king

OR

2. Charlotte refuses to convert and William, being so in love with her, gives up his right to the throne.

William could choose the latter option of course (although I suspect that if it came to that the law would be changed pretty quickly so that he could marry the RC woman he loves and still become the king).

I think the Prince should look for a lady who is not unknown with media attention.

For an example Doña Juliana Edenia Antonia Guillermo y de Orange-Nassau, who is a stunning beauty, is a daughter of a royal princess, niece to a reigning Queen and a cousine to a future King. She is also of Prince William's age ánd does live in London.... See picture.

But I agree with other posters that the media pressure is so immense that even equal-born ladies ould have met the same intrusion and problems.

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
I think the Prince should look for a lady who is not unknown with media attention.

For an example Doña Juliana Edenia Antonia Guillermo y de Orange-Nassau, who is a stunning beauty, is a daughter of a royal princess, niece to a reigning Queen and a cousine to a future King. She is also of Prince William's age ánd does live in London.... See picture.

But I agree with other posters that the media pressure is so immense that even equal-born ladies ould have met the same intrusion and problems.
She is beautiful girl but it doesn't mean that Will would think that too and they will feel in love to each other.

Yes the pressure was realy big for them and specially for Kate on last weeks.

Last edited:
Henri M. said:

But she is catholic what would leed to problems. And probably she as most of the equal ladies would not want such an media pressure and media-presence for the rest of her life.

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
For an example Doña Juliana Edenia Antonia Guillermo y de Orange-Nassau,
Henri, indeed she is classy and elegant, but have you forgotten the Act of Settlement?

Mother remained protestant

Stefan said:
But she is catholic what would leed to problems. And probably she as most of the equal ladies would not want such an media pressure and media-presence for the rest of her life.

Juliana Guillermo is born from a protestant mother (Princess Christina of the Netherlands) who remained Protestant upon marriage but converted some 20 years later to Catholicism. Lety us say the same movement as the Duchess of Kent made. Or the late Princess of Wales' mother. I'm not sure if Juliana Guillermo has been baptized protestant or catholic, but I think she will not have too many difficulties in accepting the Anglican Faith.

:flowers:

Although she is used to media attention, I really doubt she can ever make an imagination of the intrusion and rudeness of British press, compared with the much, much calmer and respecting Dutch media.

Juliana Guillermo has lived in new York, does live in London now and studied at The Slade School of Fine Arts (seems to match Prince William, isn't it?). But in 1998 she choose to make her debut in society at a Debutants' Ball in the Netherlands instead in London. She is close to the family and is a godmother to Lady Leonore (daughter of Prince Constantijn).

Last edited:
Henri, at least you made the effort to throw a different name into the ring, rather than rehashing the usual suspects. :flowers:

I dont have a problem with cousins by marriage. But given the centuries of inbreeding in the Royal Families of Europe, some fresh blood would be my preference.

scooter said:
I dont have a problem with cousins by marriage. But given the centuries of inbreeding in the Royal Families of Europe, some fresh blood would be my preference.

What inbreeding? The only relatively close relationship is with a collateral branch of the former Greek royal family, via Prince Philip.
The Kents, the Gloucesters, the Queen's father, the Waleses, the Yorks, the Wessexes: none of them married into any European royal family.

:flowers:

Let me show the closest relationship between Prince William of Wales and miss Juliana Guillermo:

Prince William of Wales

-> The Prince of Wales

-> Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom

-> King George VI of the United Kingdom

-> Queen Mary of the United Kingdom born Princess of Teck

-> Francis Duke of Teck born Franz Count Von Hohenstein

-> Alexander Duke of Württemberg

-> Ludwig Duke of Württemberg

Friedrich II Eugen, Duke of Württemberg

-> Sophie Dorothea Tsarina of Russia born Duchess of Württemberg

-> Anna Paulovna Romanovna Queen of the Netherlands born Grand Duchess of Russia

-> Willem III King of the Netherlands, Grand-Duke of Luxembourg, Prince of Orange-Nassau

-> Wilhelmina Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau

-> Juliana Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Duchess of Mecklenburg

-> Christina Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld

Juliana Edenia Antonia Guillermo

Last edited:
Of course we all dream of a wedding between William and some noble woman. But he could the same way surprise us and decide to marry a DIVORCED COMMONER! Sounds horrible but after his parents were divorced and his father married a divorced woman (although he´s still the heir to the throne!) the Queen or his father might get problems in forbid him to do so. They won´t have arguments any more....

CasiraghiTrio said:
I don't know.... she is a princess of the blood in Sweden. If she married Prince William (I agree, not likely, won't happen, but hypothetically speaking) she would take his name as the wife of a Prince of the United Kingdom. She would be HRH PRincess Victoria of Sweden and Princess William of Wales.
But I don't think you can say "Princess Victoria of Wales", since the Wales part is William's title.

Technically, Victoria would still be HRH Princess William of Wales because her rank and precedence upon marriage to William takes precedence over her former rank and title in Sweden.

However, the courtesy of her rank and birthstyle would likely be recognized by The Sovereign (as it was for Princess Marina) and she would retain her style of HRH Princess Victoria in the UK, along with any peerages William was granted.

Warren said:
Henri, at least you made the effort to throw a different name into the ring, rather than rehashing the usual suspects. :flowers:

I suggested Juliana Guillermo before and we all talked about her then. I'm pleased to see she is thought a good candidate by others. But she may be Catholic, which could pose a bit of a problem. :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom