The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline mathilda
I have to agree with BeatrixFan here. Something about Kate Middleton does not sit right with me.

She seems like a very ordinary girl trying much too hard; The stories of her having a stylist, etc reinforce that impression. I had always hoped that William would find an exceptional, charismatic woman. This does not preclude a "commoner" ( as his mother was a technically one as was the Queen Mother), but I feel rather let down. I feel like William must get it right the first time if the Monarchy is going to survive into the 21st century. In my way of thinking: if Kate is so ordinary, then William must be ordinary so why continue a Monarchy that is peopled with folks just like us? True ,they must be relevant but also extraordinary at the same time.

Perhaps Kate Middleton is a work in progress and is a blank canvas just waiting to burst forth; I just wish she would show some of that potential now if she is the "one." For all her education, she still seems like a throwback to earlier generations that produced only debutantes waiting for their main chance in the marriage stakes. Like those debs, we only see her standing around at polo and going to parties, clubs etc. Actually our society and expectations should be way past that now.

I would actually like to see him pursue someone of Masako of Japan's or Letizia of Spain's caliber; someone with a purpose in life which exists whether or not the Royal romance works out.

Caroline Mathilda

So you feel Kate has no purpose in life short of being William's girlfriend? Poor girl might as well kill herself then, because if they break up....whatever will she do?

All this arm-chair psychiatry is interesting, but it's just that....arm-chair psychiatry. Since when did anyone posting here develop the powers to accurately assess someone's personality from the few short times they see them in pictures or on TV? You all wouldn't know her from a hole in the wall. It's fun to sit and nit-pick everything both her and Chelsy Davy do, but at the end of the day, we're no closer to knowing who they really are. Outward appearances may say one thing, but behind the scenes, she could be a totally different person. William saw his parent's marriage disintegrate before his eyes....he's a smart guy. I think if he thought this girl wasn't all she's cracked up to be, she'd be history.

As for William being "ordinary".....I'm not British but if I was, I think I'd want a future King who was as normal and "ordinary" as I am. The days of Kings and Queens being god-like are over. They are human, just like their subjects. If he wants to find a down to earth woman to marry and be his Consort, he should be applauded for finding someone who isn't hell-bent on making the show all about her. How else can you rule over people if you have no clue who they are how they live?

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 09-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I have to agree with BeatrixFan here. Something about Kate Middleton does not sit right with me.

She seems like a very ordinary girl trying much too hard; The stories of her having a stylist, etc reinforce that impression. I had always hoped that William would find an exceptional, charismatic woman. This does not preclude a "commoner" ( as his mother was a technically one as was the Queen Mother), but I feel rather let down. I feel like William must get it right the first time if the Monarchy is going to survive into the 21st century. In my way of thinking: if Kate is so ordinary, then William must be ordinary so why continue a Monarchy that is peopled with folks just like us? True ,they must be relevant but also extraordinary at the same time.

Perhaps Kate Middleton is a work in progress and is a blank canvas just waiting to burst forth; I just wish she would show some of that potential now if she is the "one." For all her education, she still seems like a throwback to earlier generations that produced only debutantes waiting for their main chance in the marriage stakes. Like those debs, we only see her standing around at polo and going to parties, clubs etc. Actually our society and expectations should be way past that now.

I would actually like to see him pursue someone of Masako of Japan's or Letizia of Spain's caliber; someone with a purpose in life which exists whether or not the Royal romance works out.

Caroline Mathilda
Why would you say such a thing? So absurd.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Caroline Mathilda
I certainly enjoy reading other peoples thoughts on such 'issues' as it makes for not only interesting reading, but it brings to light the diverse range of opinions that makes this forum so popular.

Thanks Caroline Mathilda
Old 09-04-2006, 04:42 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
As for William being "ordinary".....I'm not British but if I was, I think I'd want a future King who was as normal and "ordinary" as I am. The days of Kings and Queens being god-like are over. They are human, just like their subjects. How else can you rule over people if you have no clue who they are how they live?
There is a difference between understanding how your subjects live and living like them - I expect my royals to do the former, but not the latter. Of course they are human, but they are not ordinary or normal - no one expects them to be god-like, but we do expect them to be royal. And as for Kate, there was talk earlier of boiled broccoli versus cabbage, but I really think cauliflower is more appropriate .
Old 09-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Nobility

Kate is a lovely young woman and if she marries William she will make a fine royal. The fact that people have such strong con opinions toward her based only on pictures, supposition, and vicious internet lies is mind boggling. I guess Posh Spice would be more suitable as William's wife because she's certainly not "broccoli" and has had a job.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:28 AM

If William becomes normal and ordinary then what's the point of the Monarchy? Let's face it, so far, William hasn't shown sparkling potential. Kate doesn't seem to have a public manner. It's all looking down or through our every so fabulous brown hair. She just seems to sulk and mope around and he follows her like a little boy in a sweet shop. This pair together couldn't lead an egg and spoon race let alone a country.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's threads like this that cause me to believe it's a good idea for royalty to keep their girlfriends hidden (and unknown) as much as possible.

BTW, Happy Labor Day to all my fellow Americans out there. I'm enjoying the day off from work. Woohoo!
Old 09-04-2006, 05:00 PM

Sooner or later, he's got to make us all accept Kate if she is the one. Better now than never.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchat
It's threads like this that cause me to believe it's a good idea for royalty to keep their girlfriends hidden (and unknown) as much as possible.

BTW, Happy Labor Day to all my fellow Americans out there. I'm enjoying the day off from work. Woohoo!

Happy Labor Day to you as well, rchat. My dad is firing up the grill as we speak.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 09-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Sooner or later, he's got to make us all accept Kate if she is the one. Better now than never.

To be fair, the only people that have to "accept" Kate are his family and Parliament, I believe. Doesn't he need their permission to marry, or have I got that wrong?

If he loves her, feels she's the right woman for the life he'll be living and his family loves and accepts her, that's really all that matters. William can't marry someone only after a poll of the country has been taken.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Commoner

Its Labour day for Canadians as well!
Old 09-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
To be fair, the only people that have to "accept" Kate are his family and Parliament, I believe. Doesn't he need their permission to marry, or have I got that wrong?
I think he needs the Queen's permission no matter what, and Parliament's permission if he marries before he turns 25? Is that the rule?
Old 09-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiyo
I think he needs the Queen's permission no matter what, and Parliament's permission if he marries before he turns 25? Is that the rule?

Yeah, I'm not sure. I know he needs the Queen's permission, as all members of the RF must get permission to marry from her. I'm hoping someone else here who knows all the rules and whatnots can clue me in.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Courtier

Monarch's permission at any age is sufficient. After age 25, if the monarch hasn't given permission, he can petition parliament; if no denial comes from parliament after a year, he can marry.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Nobility

I thought he only needs the Queen's permission until he turns 25. After that, he can do what he wants. That's why although I strongly believe Kate & Will already are engaged in their minds, the rest of us won't know about it officially until next year at the earliest. In line with the level-headed young people I believe them to be, I strongly suspect they'll string us all along until his post-Sandhurst military commitment is fulfilled. That's approx. another 3 years. Plenty of time for Kate and her family to get used to handling the onslaught...for the rest of her life.

And Happy Labor Day to the rest of my U.S. royalty lovers! :)
Old 09-04-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
To be fair, the only people that have to "accept" Kate are his family and Parliament, I believe.
If William's subjects don't accept his wife, it hardly looks bright for William V's reign does it?
Old 09-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise
I thought he only needs the Queen's permission until he turns 25. After that, he can do what he wants.
The only effect the "until 25" thing has is that if the monarch does not give permission when asked, there is recourse to to parliament after age 25.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise
Kate is a lovely young woman and if she marries William she will make a fine royal. The fact that people have such strong con opinions toward her based only on pictures, supposition, and vicious internet lies is mind boggling. I guess Posh Spice would be more suitable as William's wife because she's certainly not "broccoli" and has had a job.
Well said, Luv2Cruise. My only concern about Kate is, she might not cope with the pressure - as happenned with Diana and Sarah, hence I feel another royal would be a suitable wife for William. Other than that, she is an 'English Rose'.
I am intrigued tho' with the animosity displayed against Kate by such forum members as BeatrixFan. They seem to be Camilla fans and I would have thought that Kate would just fit the Camilla-mould i.e. the prince's first love, his love-interest of many years therefore they deserve to be together. I am baffled - how come it is deemed that Camilla is more colourful than Kate? Maybe it is to do with the culture in Britain?
Old 09-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
If William's subjects don't accept his wife, it hardly looks bright for William V's reign does it?
They don't like Camilla and the beat goes on. Ditto for her father-in-law. Not the most endearing consort, but his wife, the Queen is beloved, no??? It's all moot anyway, because if I were a betting person I'd bet that IF William does marry Kate she'll make a great Queen consort. So far she has carried herself with such self-assured confidence for someone so young and not used to the press attention and public scrutiny.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:25 PM

Kate and Camilla have nothing to do with one another so I don't buy it that Camilla fans are all anti-Kate. This is what I object to;

Other than that, she is an 'English Rose'.

No she isn't. She's a sulky teenage girl. Princess Margaret was an English Rose and it took her years to become that beloved. The modern way seems to paint these people as legends before they've achieved anything - what has Kate achieved? This is the thing, whether Kate is a good wife or not is irrelevant - she will have to become a Queen Consort and I don't see her as possible Queen material. All we know is that she has a degree of some kind but what does she do? What are her interests? Or is she just an idle polo-spectator? Her effect on William isn't exactly great. When he should be working here in Britain for a children's charity or sitting down with his grandmother and discussing the problems in Britain, he's in Ibiza with Kate, at a polo match with Kate, at a club with Kate - he makes himself look like a little puppy dog. The media are painting Kate to be this spectacular girl who is beautiful and wonderful and "an English Rose". Well no, she isn't. At the moment, she's a nothing and until she can prove that she's capable of pleasing the British people, then she won't be accepted.

Tags
marriage, prince harry, prince william