The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
The press writes her up as this icon of fantastic goodness and virtue, and it's really annoying to most of us.(myself included! )
I didn't agree with everything you said TonyaR but this really did stick out as being true IMO. As I see it, all Kate has done is appear in the latest fashions at a few polo matches and in her gown when she graduated. This does not make her a good person. One tabloid even described her as "Stunning" - well I wouldn't call her particularly stunning. She doesn't strike me as a great beauty and I wouldn't call any of her actions stunning. The crux of it is - who is she? What is she? What does she actually do? I mean, this might be a teenage romance on a delay, but William (and this is what gets my goat) seems to be far to wrapped up in her at the moment. I mean how ridiculous that he simply has to have Kate nearby - if she is the one, get engaged and marry her but he shouldn't expect us all to fall head over heels for her when in reality, she's done bog all for anyone and displays all the personality of boiled broccoli.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
I didn't agree with everything you said TonyaR but this really did stick out as being true IMO. As I see it, all Kate has done is appear in the latest fashions at a few polo matches and in her gown when she graduated. This does not make her a good person. One tabloid even described her as "Stunning" - well I wouldn't call her particularly stunning. She doesn't strike me as a great beauty and I wouldn't call any of her actions stunning. The crux of it is - who is she? What is she? What does she actually do? I mean, this might be a teenage romance on a delay, but William (and this is what gets my goat) seems to be far to wrapped up in her at the moment. I mean how ridiculous that he simply has to have Kate nearby - if she is the one, get engaged and marry her but he shouldn't expect us all to fall head over heels for her when in reality, she's done bog all for anyone and displays all the personality of boiled broccoli.
Right, I can't take it!!
I thought about commenting on some of what you said, but can't because I'm just laughing too hard ! You are too funny!! BeatrixFan, when I grow up I want to be as witty as you.!! !!

Old 08-29-2006, 02:55 PM

That's very kind of you and I'm not quite sure how to respond to that. So I won't.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Right now, Kate is William's girlfriend, nothing more or less, and is a private citizen doing whatever she feels like doing. She has no obligation to show the world that she has suitable character or what not......they're not getting married and he's allowed to have a nice girlfriend.

I really think people are reading way too much into William's relationship with Kate. While it's clear he is very fond of her, that doesn't mean she will become his future consort. In fact, it's likely she will not marry him.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:15 PM

Thats the thing though - William seems to be entirely obsessed with her. She MUST be near him at Sandhurst, he MUST see her at polo matches, he MUST have somewhere private to be with her. Look at Pierre Casiraghi - he has girlfriends but he doesn't act like he's married. William has transmogrified into this 40 year old Richard Bucket and it's just annoying. I'm fed up with seeing her sulky face.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Commoner

BeatrixFan - I think that unless you KNOW Wils you shouldn't assume that he HAS to see her all the time. Maybe he's just that type of man! I know plenty of couples that spend a lot of time together - not because they're obsessed but simply because thats what they're like.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:24 PM

I think it's pretty obvious from his actions that he HAS to see her. Wherever he is, she is. The Daily Mail had it on good authority that William had requested her to be housed at Clarence House and that he wanted her to have Royal protection. When did he start giving the orders? The thing is, he shouldn't be spending all this time with her - he should be spending it with his people because we'll always be here, whether Kate is or not.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Thats the thing though - William seems to be entirely obsessed with her. She MUST be near him at Sandhurst, he MUST see her at polo matches, he MUST have somewhere private to be with her. Look at Pierre Casiraghi - he has girlfriends but he doesn't act like he's married. William has transmogrified into this 40 year old Richard Bucket and it's just annoying. I'm fed up with seeing her sulky face.
Obsessed is a rather strong word, no? They've been in a relationship for some time now and William isn't seeing Kate as much due to his current military training. So, it seems reasonable to see her as much as he can, much like any young man his age.

I don't think she is sulky......LOL. More likely, she is just careful to present a blank face when hundreds of paparazzi are snapping pictures of you.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I think it's pretty obvious from his actions that he HAS to see her. Wherever he is, she is. The Daily Mail had it on good authority that William had requested her to be housed at Clarence House and that he wanted her to have Royal protection. When did he start giving the orders? The thing is, he shouldn't be spending all this time with her - he should be spending it with his people because we'll always be here, whether Kate is or not.
I find it hard to believe William would make requests that he knows his father and grandmother cannot possibly approve. Kate is not a member of the royal family and it would very controversial for her to live in a royal palace at this time.

He can certainly pay for private protection officers to give her security, but Kate cannot have royal protection officers shadowing her.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:29 PM
Gentry

Although anything is possible, I don't think he is. I think that if it is in the tabloids or whereever it might be to keep the press off Kate as not to put undue stress on their relationship.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:39 PM

Well, I'll step away from the issue but I stick by what I said. All I can say is, he needs to realise he's got work to do for his country and she needs to realise that nobody likes a misery guts.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
"...she's done bog all for anyone and displays all the personality of boiled broccoli"
BeatrixFan, the reason I was laughing is because you use such a colourful terms, I love it! I don't have the exciting vocabulary that you do, and I wish I did.
I do agree with what Branchg said, though:
Quote:
I don't think she is sulky......LOL. More likely, she is just careful to present a blank face when hundreds of paparazzi are snapping pictures of you.
IMO that makes sense, maintaining a blank face would give the media less emotion to speculate about and fewer clues to what you're really thinking. It probably allows her to keep her thoughts a little more private while being photographed. It's also true that since she's just Prince William's girlfriend, she isn't obligated to do anything for anyone at all other than William.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:44 PM
Courtier

I think Kate can never win with some members of the public because not only is she nothing like Diana, she reminds some people of Camilla--boring, devoted to her prince in an almost submissive way and totally lacking charisma and that dazzle that William's mother had.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:47 PM

Oh I certainly wouldn't call Camilla boring. And she's got dazzle and charisma - she just isn't a carbon copy of Barbie. I wouldn't want Kate to be at all like Diana or at all like Camilla - I'd just like to her have a personality. And when she's got one, maybe she can share it with William?
Old 08-29-2006, 08:20 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Oh I certainly wouldn't call Camilla boring. And she's got dazzle and charisma - she just isn't a carbon copy of Barbie. I wouldn't want Kate to be at all like Diana or at all like Camilla - I'd just like to her have a personality. And when she's got one, maybe she can share it with William?
Oh, BeatrxiFan - you always manage to make me laugh! While she certainly hasn't done anything wrong, I can't help finding her deadly dull. Actually, the pair of them, really...boiled broccoli really suits them, I think!
Old 08-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Aristocracy

William is more like boiled cabbage. Broccoli has too much colour.

We are all thinking that William is obsessed with Kate. How do we know that she is not the one who is obsessed? She may be constantly placing herself in his line of vision so that he does not forget about her. I think she is a very smart girl and is very strategically charting her course. This is the chance of a lifetime and she is not going to blow it if she can help it. If I were in her position, I would go for it too. Remember the chance to be queen is at stake.

CM
Old 08-29-2006, 11:41 PM
Nobility

Maybe Kate feels that she will only lay out her personality for all the world to see if the relationship has progressed to a more official level i.e. an engagement. It could be that she regards her relationship with the Prince (at this point) as intensely private and she is not into currying favour with 'his' public and thus unduly pressuring both of them into a commitment.

They could very well be treading a slow, steady path to monogamous matrimony that would comply very well with the Church of England's teachings. I really find it humorous that some posts in this thread are finding them boring. They are not into playing 'hide and seek' with the press and yet they are not tabloid-newsworthy? This maybe a very smart move on their part.

Tho' I think girls from royal families will be better choices as wives for Prince William, there is nothing to stop Kate if she puts her mind to it. But she may find it really tough as we see more of Prince William playing polo and night-clubbing than attending to royal duties. So in addition to learning the 'reins' herself, she might also have to be prodding him on. It would be easier for someone like Princess Madelaine who has had vast experience in this area.

The Royal siblings of Sweden and Luxembourg have been impeccable as we saw them take centre stage in royal events in their countries e.g. King Carl Gustav's 60th Birthday celebration, the funeral of the late Grand-Duchess Josephine-Charlotte. Compared to the report of Wales Princes' late partying the night before Queen Elizabeth's 80th Birthday Thanksgiving service at St Paul's. But then again they may be not be subjected to intense media scrutiny in Sweden and Luxembourg.

In any case, the girl who will marry Prince William will need to be very strong indeed because the future of the most prestigious Monarchy will be in their hands. If that girl turns out to be Kate, I am sure we will then be dazzled by her charms and charisma.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSSEAN
Tho' I think girls from royal families will be better choices as wives for Prince William.
I dont think that is actually the case. The years of royals marrying royals (unless in love) is certainly over.

Just because they may, whoever they are, be a royal does not guarantee that they are 'up' for the demands and pressures of being the future King's wife.

Just look at the wonderful job the Crown Princesses of Europe are doing. These woman, all commoners and some foreigners, have (in the most part) contributed wonderfully to the monarchy and are fulfilling their roles with ease and dedication. You couldn't possibly ask for a better Dutch, Belgian, Danish or Norwegiane Crown Princess
Old 08-30-2006, 01:09 AM

Its not really fair to compair William and Harry to the siblings of Sweden and Luxemburg. William and Harry are the grandchildern of the sovereign, the others are the childern the sovereign. Each has different roles and the current childern of the English sovereign are Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward. Please compair equals. But I will agree with you that getting drunk the night before a very important event is a really dumb idea.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Nessy
Maybe he's just that type of man! I know plenty of couples that spend a lot of time together.
Some people call it being in love!

Closed Thread

Tags
marriage, prince harry, prince william