Preferred Wives For William and Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's older than she was when she got married.

branchg said:
As the spare to the throne, William must receive the permission of The Queen and the approval of the Prime Minister to marry, regardless of his age. I highly doubt The Queen is willing to entertain a marriage for quite some time. He's too young.

At the moment he needs the consent of the Queen under the RMA and the approval of the PM as more a courtesy (not in law as far as I am aware - please link to the legislation requiring PM's consent).

Once he turns 25, if the monarch doesn't approve he can seek approval from Parliament and wait for a year. If neither the House of Commons or House of Lords objects then he can marry.

Under that scenario he wouldn't be marrying until he is 26.

As I am sure he will want the approval of his grandmother I don't think he will go that route but will only ask for approval to marry someone he knows his grandmother, and father, will agree to.

As I have said before I don't expect any engagement until after 20th November 2007 - i.e. after the 60th wedding anniversary of the present Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh's own wedding day. I have read this somewhere but can't find a reference to it now. I would like to think that the focus next year will be on this wonderful partnership between two people who clearly love and care for each other and set such a great example for the young people.

I have also read that the Queen has told her grandchildren that they have to date a partner for at least 5 years before she will even considering her consent - once I read this in the New Idea/Women's Day here in Australia so I do take that comment with a very llllaaarrrgggeee grain of salt but...

I can't see William marrying before he's 30. He's only 2 weeks younger than I am, and I am hardly ready for marriage and I doubt he is too. My parents got married young, so I'm not opposed to young marriage. They're going on 35 years together, so it can work.....but I'd rather see William wait a while before making that kind of choice. If Kate is the one he's meant to be with forever, I think she'd stick around.

chrissy57 said:
I have also read that the Queen has told her grandchildren that they have to date a partner for at least 5 years before she will even considering her consent - once I read this in the New Idea/Women's Day here in Australia so I do take that comment with a very llllaaarrrgggeee grain of salt but...

While I'll refrain from making any comment about the source :cool: this story has a ring of truth to it. It sounds like the sort of thing I'd expect from a sensible woman who has seen what can happen when two people who haven't had the opportunity to get to know each other well enough to know that they are ill-suited, marry for the wrong reasons. After five years in the spotlight a couple should either be sure they want to marry or will have stopped seeing each other.

I cannot imagine a scenario where The Queen would approve a marriage for William before he has completed his military service and taken up public duties. For her, duty to the Crown comes first and William is very close to the throne at this point.

I would think she will want to see a strong commitment to his duties before entertaining marriage.

Wasn't there something like that that was done some years ago for British tv? I think it was a show, something like "Find a wife" (or "find a bride," whatever) for William. All I remember about this was that Holly Branson apparently won the vote that was held.

Wasn't it Channel4's "A Wife for William"? There was 3 categories of possibles wives: the Princesses or royal-blood ladies, the commoner heiresses, and the celebrities. People were invited to vote for their favorite candidate.
Charlotte Casiraghi was the winner for the 1st category, Holly Branson for the second, but I can't remember the last one.:D

It was Estelle Getty. William's said to be quite keen.

branchg said:
I cannot imagine a scenario where The Queen would approve a marriage for William before he has completed his military service and taken up public duties. For her, duty to the Crown comes first and William is very close to the throne at this point.

I would think she will want to see a strong commitment to his duties before entertaining marriage.

Ah! The "no pudding for you till you've eaten all your greens" approach :) It always worked for me as a child, but then I've always been very fond of pudding :lol:

But is it really deprivation for William to be denied marriage until he's done his stint with the various services? Assuming Kate is "the one", as it is they can spend plenty of time together without the restrictions on their freedom that marriage will bring. Once married they will have to behave like grownups and run a household and have to entertain and attend formal functions together, and of course be under pressure to produce children. Life as it is might suit William and Kate very nicely, and it could be that they are very happy to postpone marriage for a few years so they can enjoy what they have now for as long as possible.

OTOH, it might be that William will be more inclined to dedicate himself to his duty if he has the woman he loves by his side to help him. And in a sense William's main duty is to produce children.

All will be revealed in the fullness of time of course, but in the meantime it's fun to speculate.

Last edited:
Roslyn said:
William's main duty is to produce children.

It will be his wife's duty to provide the children, he will only play a small part! :lol: :ROFLMAO:

Skydragon said:
It will be his wife's duty to provide the children, he will only play a small part! :lol: :ROFLMAO:

He may disagree with you!:lol:

I don't think there would be a problem at all if Prince William married a foreigner. Queen Elizabeth married a foreigner (Philip of Greece) afterall.

yes, i dotn think it would be a problem at all. i think the monarchy has become more lax, with Cahrles marrying his mistress, the two princes openly dating and Harry hardly beign discreet, and dating the daughter of a contraversial(sp?) figure, i think they've become pretty relaxed...

BeatrixFan said:
It was Estelle Getty. William's said to be quite keen.
Wasn't she in The Golden Girls? :D

Yes, Warren, she played Sophia, the mother. But without the make-up, she looks quite nice, but still today, she is hitting 83.

That's OK then; I was worried William may have had a thing for Blanche.

:lol: Didn't we all have a thing for Blanche?

Duchess said:
:lol: don't you just love her!!

I know we are getting to far off topic, but I had to give my kudoos to Blanche as well. However, I also loved that Rose Nyland character from Minnesota and all that cheesecake and ice cream those ladies ate!! :ROFLMAO:

HRH Kimetha said:
I know we are getting to far off topic, but I had to give my kudoos to Blanche as well. However, I also loved that Rose Nyland character from Minnesota and all that cheesecake and ice cream those ladies ate!! :ROFLMAO:

Though I loved Blanche, Rose was my favourite:wub: I loved her St Olaf stories :ROFLMAO:

Roslyn said:
Though I loved Blanche, Rose was my favourite:wub: I loved her St Olaf stories :ROFLMAO:

Does anyone remember the episode with Rose and her balloons and her special uses for them? :lol:

Last edited:
Have we decided that Rose, despite the St Olaf stories, is more suitable for William than Blanche? Would Harry and Blanche be a better matchup? :D

i'm thinking that tanya turner (or whatever she goes by now) would be a good match for harry.

I'm afraid Tanya Turner would be more than a match for young Harry. She'd eat him alive. Does he play soccer by any chance?

Harry? I've never seen him playing it. He's fond of Polo of course and rugby I think. Although let's be honest, we only want to see him swimming because unlike his brother, he does have a gorgeous body. Anyway, who is Tanya Turner? The problem is that there's no outstanding candidates for William to marry. Well, apart from Princess Theodora or Princess Madeleine. Where's Christian IX when you need him?

Apparently she is a character in Footballers Wives! :rolleyes: :lol:

Will the next Princess of Wales, presumably William's wife, be required to learn Welsh? I hope so.

:lol: If William became a Mr Humphries sort, it'll certainly make him more interesting. :rolleyes:

BeatrixFan said:
:lol: If William became a Mr Humphries sort, it'll certainly make him more interesting. :rolleyes:

You mean, as in, Are You Being Served? Mr. Humphries was my favorite character. :D He and Ms. Slocombe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom