The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #221  
Old 05-20-2005, 09:45 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaileah
I heard that Camilla was Catholic.

I assume when you say Catholic you mean Roman Catholic because in the Anglican Church when we say the Apostles Creed or the Nicene Creed we use the following phrase "I believe in the Holy Spirit,the holy catholic Church,". When I was learning this I asked my minister about this and he taught me that this meant that the Anglican church was also a Catholic church but was not subject to Rome hence the Roman Catholic church or Popish Church, which is the one banned under the Act of Settlement. 'Catholics' in this sense relates to a church having bishops I believe (if I understand my catechism lessons from my early teens).

If Camilla was a Roman Catholic then Charles would have automatically been barred from the throne as soon as she became his wife. That is clearly stated in the Act of Settlement. It is also reasonable to assume that an announcement to that effect would have been made at the time of the announcement of the engagement or on the day of the wedding.

She is regularly seen attending church with Charles as well. That also points to her being at least a token Anglican and not a Roman Catholic. Has anyone ever seen her or heard of her taking communion in a Roman Catholic Church (except when supporting the religious upbringing of her children - I say this because I took communion in a Roman Catholic Church at the First Communion of my godson and both my neices as an act of support and with the consent of my own Anglican minister and that of the Roman Catholic priest who was presiding at those services).

As no such announcement was ever made it is reasonable to assume that Camilla is not a member of the Roman Catholic Church.

When the members of the Kent family either married Roman Catholics or converted it was announced at the time that they lost their place in the order of succession (with the exception of the Duke of Kent whose wife converted AFTER the marriage and therefor he didn't lose his position). The same thing happened when Princess Caroline of Monaco married Prince Ernst of Hanover - he lost his place in the order of succession due to his wife being a Roman Catholic but their daughter is still in the order of succession as she is being raised a protestant. This loss of place was announced at the time of the engagement/wedding.

The government and the monarch would have to be satisfied that Camilla was not a Roman Catholic at the time of the marriage or they would have announced that Charles was no longer in the line of succession or that they were intending on changing the Act of Settlement.

As no such announcement has been made then Camilla it is reasonable to assume that she is not a Roman Catholic.
__________________

__________________
  #222  
Old 05-20-2005, 11:27 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaileah
I heard that Camilla was Catholic.
A lot of people were saying it at the time the engagement was announced. It's just an incorrect assumption because her ex-husband is Catholic. She was raised in a Protestant family and has not (as far as anybody knows) converted to Catholicism.
__________________

__________________
  #223  
Old 05-21-2005, 04:51 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Seattle, United States
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
A lot of people were saying it at the time the engagement was announced. It's just an incorrect assumption because her ex-husband is Catholic. She was raised in a Protestant family and has not (as far as anybody knows) converted to Catholicism.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I was wrong about what i said i will admit that. that was what i was hearing and the thing is with the media you dont hear the truth alot....so people like me will believe what they hear. but thanks.
__________________
  #224  
Old 05-21-2005, 05:01 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Seattle, United States
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
I assume when you say Catholic you mean Roman Catholic because in the Anglican Church when we say the Apostles Creed or the Nicene Creed we use the following phrase "I believe in the Holy Spirit,the holy catholic Church,". When I was learning this I asked my minister about this and he taught me that this meant that the Anglican church was also a Catholic church but was not subject to Rome hence the Roman Catholic church or Popish Church, which is the one banned under the Act of Settlement. 'Catholics' in this sense relates to a church having bishops I believe (if I understand my catechism lessons from my early teens).

If Camilla was a Roman Catholic then Charles would have automatically been barred from the throne as soon as she became his wife. That is clearly stated in the Act of Settlement. It is also reasonable to assume that an announcement to that effect would have been made at the time of the announcement of the engagement or on the day of the wedding.

She is regularly seen attending church with Charles as well. That also points to her being at least a token Anglican and not a Roman Catholic. Has anyone ever seen her or heard of her taking communion in a Roman Catholic Church (except when supporting the religious upbringing of her children - I say this because I took communion in a Roman Catholic Church at the First Communion of my godson and both my neices as an act of support and with the consent of my own Anglican minister and that of the Roman Catholic priest who was presiding at those services).

As no such announcement was ever made it is reasonable to assume that Camilla is not a member of the Roman Catholic Church.

When the members of the Kent family either married Roman Catholics or converted it was announced at the time that they lost their place in the order of succession (with the exception of the Duke of Kent whose wife converted AFTER the marriage and therefor he didn't lose his position). The same thing happened when Princess Caroline of Monaco married Prince Ernst of Hanover - he lost his place in the order of succession due to his wife being a Roman Catholic but their daughter is still in the order of succession as she is being raised a protestant. This loss of place was announced at the time of the engagement/wedding.

The government and the monarch would have to be satisfied that Camilla was not a Roman Catholic at the time of the marriage or they would have announced that Charles was no longer in the line of succession or that they were intending on changing the Act of Settlement.

As no such announcement has been made then Camilla it is reasonable to assume that she is not a Roman Catholic.
I am a Roman Catholic and I went to Catholic school as a child. I was taught that the Angilcan Church is not Catholic because they broke away from the Church by a KING not a BISHOP. if they had broken through a Bishop it would be a whole new story but they did not. they broke away because King Henry VIII wanted a divorce and the Pope would not grant it. I could be wrong but that was what i was taught by my religion teachers at school and i also learned it from the Religious education classes i had to take at church also(for my first Communion and Confirmation). We were told that the only church we could recieve communion in besides the Catholic Church that is headed by the Pope, is the Orthodox Church whether it be Greek, or Russian or any other reconized Orthodox Church because they broke away through a Bishop. Just like we as Catholics can not recieve communion at a Luthern church...they broke away through a priest not a Bishop. For us the line of succession has to come through a bishop who is appointed by the Pope, it can not come any other way. Most non Catholic are not supposed to recieve communion at our Church's either like we can not at theirs.
__________________
  #225  
Old 05-21-2005, 12:22 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaileah
I am a Roman Catholic and I went to Catholic school as a child. I was taught that the Angilcan Church is not Catholic because they broke away from the Church by a KING not a BISHOP. if they had broken through a Bishop it would be a whole new story but they did not. they broke away because King Henry VIII wanted a divorce and the Pope would not grant it. I could be wrong but that was what i was taught by my religion teachers at school and i also learned it from the Religious education classes i had to take at church also(for my first Communion and Confirmation). We were told that the only church we could recieve communion in besides the Catholic Church that is headed by the Pope, is the Orthodox Church whether it be Greek, or Russian or any other reconized Orthodox Church because they broke away through a Bishop. Just like we as Catholics can not recieve communion at a Luthern church...they broke away through a priest not a Bishop. For us the line of succession has to come through a bishop who is appointed by the Pope, it can not come any other way. Most non Catholic are not supposed to recieve communion at our Church's either like we can not at theirs.
I have never seen this explanation before in over 25 years of teaching the Reformation and the beliefs of the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches.

I have done some digging on the internet however.

The following two quotes come from http://www.anglican.org.au/index.cfm?SID=2&SSID=5 an Anglican site and clearly state that the anglican church regards itself as catholic just as the Orthodox churches do.

'The English believed, like the Orthodox Eastern Church, that it was possible to be Catholics without the Pope.'

'The ancient Church in England became the reformed Church of England and still claimed to be Apostolic, Catholic, Reformed and Protestant.'

The Catholic Encyclopedia site http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01498a.htm says

'They believe that the Church of England is a true and reformed part, or branch, or pair of provinces of the Catholic Church of Christ.'

It seems clear from these quotes and from the creeds that are used in the Anglican liturgy (both Apostles and Nicene - 'I believe in one CATHOLIC and apostolic church) that Anglicans regard themselves as catholic but not Popish or Roman Catholic.

You have obviously been taught differently to me and I respect your beliefs but I will hold that as an Anglican I am a Catholic otherwise how can I possibly say the creeds and mean them if I am not able to believe in one Catholic church.

I don't want to see this degenerate into a slanging match so please, agree to disagree rather than have religious differences spoil a board.

I reiterate I have stated my beliefs and I respect yours and have shown you where I have obtained some of my information and on what I base some of my arguments just as you have.
__________________
  #226  
Old 05-24-2005, 02:47 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Beach House, Malaysia
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
The only legal restrictions on a marriage are by the Act of Settlement and the Royal Marriages Act:

* Up to the age of 25 he requires the permission of the Sovereign to marry;
* He can marry anyone, as long as she is not Roman Catholic.

If he does marry a Roman Catholic he forfeits his right to the Throne.

This is not the Queen's ruling, it is laid down by an Act of Parliament and can only be changed by the British Parliament.
.

can somebody tell me why is it that the english royalty cannot marry a roman catholic? is there any reason for it? i read in the posted post that it would forfeit his right to the throne. why does it has to be like that? and what is the difference between a roman catholic and an anglican?
__________________
At least I can be rich in my mind, after all that's where the real wealth resides.
  #227  
Old 05-24-2005, 02:52 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Beach House, Malaysia
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie2
when prince william was attending a press meeting in a farm recently one of the journalists asked him about charlotte and what he thought of her and he said, "sorry to dissapoint you gentlemen but I never met the young lady in question".
that's true. i read somewhere that charlotte also gave kinda the same comment.. she has never met william personally.
__________________
At least I can be rich in my mind, after all that's where the real wealth resides.
  #228  
Old 05-24-2005, 03:27 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,427
Act of Settlement

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraDaniel
can somebody tell me why is it that the english royalty cannot marry a roman catholic? is there any reason for it? i read in the posted post that it would forfeit his right to the throne. why does it has to be like that? and what is the difference between a roman catholic and an anglican?
The Act of Settlement, which is an Act of Parliament, lays down the rules regarding succession to the British Crown. Among the rules is one stating that a person who marries a Roman Catholic forfeits his or her right to the Throne.

The reason is that the Parliament wanted to ensure the Protestant succession after King James II was forced from the Throne because of his Catholicism.

An Anglican is a member of the Church of England, which was a break-away from the Roman Catholic Church under King Henry VIII. The Monarch is the head of the Church of England.

The Monarch does not determine these rules, the Parliament does, and the rules can only be changed by the British Parliament.

For a more detailed explanation see the posts by Chrissy57.
.
__________________
  #229  
Old 05-24-2005, 11:40 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Beach House, Malaysia
Posts: 433
thank you warren.
__________________
At least I can be rich in my mind, after all that's where the real wealth resides.
  #230  
Old 06-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Beach House, Malaysia
Posts: 433
well, i just hope that william marries for love and not taking anybody within the family circle. Inbreeding would have genetic glitches and we all know the mad kings and queens of yester years all can be connected with inbreeding..or so they said..
__________________
At least I can be rich in my mind, after all that's where the real wealth resides.
  #231  
Old 06-03-2005, 10:37 AM
Idriel's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: around, France
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Charlotte is Miss (Mademoiselle) Charlotte Casiraghi.
Hi Warren. Do you know what is Charlotte citizenship: Italian like her dad (logical choice), Monegasque like mum (political choice) or ... French?
__________________
  #232  
Old 06-03-2005, 10:47 AM
EmpressRouge's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisnu
How if Charlotte convert to Anglican ?
I think right now, the law says that a monarch cannot be or marry "a Papist" or anyone that has "ever been a Papist" (something like that). So even if Charlotte converted, under current law, she cannot be queen. But in the event that William wishes to marry a Catholic, the gov't will probably change that law, granted the girl is otherwise suitable.
__________________
Real princesses always wear sleeves so why do we all go for strapless?
  #233  
Old 06-03-2005, 01:42 PM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel
Do you know what is Charlotte's citizenship: Italian like her dad (logical choice), Monegasque like mum (political choice) or ... French?
No idea; I'd guess Monagasque. Good question. I suppose Andrea and Pierre would be the same as Charlotte,while Alexandra may have German citizenship.

Another thought on Andrea... for the "just in case" dynastic scenario it would be prudent to have him a citizen of the country he may one day rule.
.
__________________
  #234  
Old 06-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,059
what about princess madeline of sweden? she is beautiful and is use to life in the public eye?
__________________
ain' no sunshine when i gone
  #235  
Old 06-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Piewi's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BA, Argentina
Posts: 1,353
My favourite (forgetting religion and all that) is Charlotte Casiraghi (yes Casiraghi, i prefer no titles instead Hannover; and i don´t think that Char change her surname, it´s her Dad´s part, and i she changes it, i hope it would be to Grimaldi)
I prefer Char couse she is quiet (well, consider her mom and aunt at her age), beautiful, smart and she´ll have stuning children with Wills

Idriel you´ve made a great question, and definitly i don´t know the answer!!! I guess she is monegasque (she born in Monaco) or perhaps italian, buti think that ranier´s gave to stefano a monegasque citizenship
__________________
  #236  
Old 06-03-2005, 03:13 PM
EmpressRouge's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,294
It's funny that everyone's talking abouta possible William and Charlotte hookup. I heard that tabloids in the 70s proposed Caroline as a possible bride for Charles (obviously ignoring Caroline's Catholism and then partying life style)
__________________
Real princesses always wear sleeves so why do we all go for strapless?
  #237  
Old 06-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,059
doesn't any one think princesses madeline of sweden & prince will would be a good match?
__________________
ain' no sunshine when i gone
  #238  
Old 06-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 1,505
I think he could marry Zara. She is perfect. They get along really well, she knows first-hand the pressures of being royal, and she is talented and pretty. But I am sure the inbreeding would not be that big of a problem.
__________________
*Under Construction*
  #239  
Old 06-04-2005, 12:24 AM
cute_girl's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by semisquare
doesn't any one think princesses madeline of sweden & prince will would be a good match?
I agree with you,i donno about all these talks about Charlotte,Theodora or..when a beautiful princess like Madeleine exists.
__________________
  #240  
Old 06-04-2005, 04:36 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hamilton, United Kingdom
Posts: 123
I don't think William will marry a "royal" I actually think he and Kate are quite serious and she could be a future bride! I hope so as she seems really nice and more importantly discreet. On top of that it wouldn't do any harm for the inbreeding that exists within the royal families of Europe to miss out a couple of generations!!
Just a note, it is in fact illegal to marry your first cousin in England but not in Scotland!
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
marriage, prince harry, prince william


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
William, Harry and girlfriends and the press Ava Elizabeth Prince Harry and Prince William 1228 11-11-2010 04:49 PM
Prince Harry News Thread 1: Dec 2002 - Sept 2003 Kelly B Current Events Archive 109 09-26-2003 04:03 PM




Popular Tags
belgium brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:41 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]