Preferred Wives For William and Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tiaraprin said:
Diana, while aristocratic and rich, did have everyday life experiences such as holding a job, having her own flat with roommates, scrubbing toilets (albeit William did scrub toilets in Chile)...

Even with his mother, it's the same situation. She bought her flat from her inheritance and worked a couple days a week at a kindergarden. I wouldn't call that real life. She worked because she was bored and the job hours didn't interfere with her social life. I just see all the talk about "down-to-earth" stuff is more lip service.

Well, I wouldn't sell William or Harry short yet. It is clear from their public appearances and private charity work that they understand (certainly better than their father ever did) the real world, have humility and are willing to dig-in and do some real work helping others.

Diana always stated to journalists that her goal with William and Harry is they be in touch with the real world, be able to relate with all kinds of people and not be sitting around in a Palace. Even though Diana was from one of the richest, most aristocratic backgrounds in the UK, she did have the common touch and a gift for communication. I believe she did understand common problems and wanted to genuinely help out and learn.

Incas said:
Even with his mother, it's the same situation. She bought her flat from her inheritance and worked a couple days a week at a kindergarden. I wouldn't call that real life. She worked because she was bored and the job hours didn't interfere with her social life. I just see all the talk about "down-to-earth" stuff is more lip service.

Has William or Harry ever had a moment where they are not being searched for and just another face in the crowd?? Do these boys know what it is truly like to be a common, ordinary person that can go where they wish whenever they wish to?? Diana did. Diana knew what it was like to be just an everyday person walking down the streets going into stores and eating is restaurants without fear of being recognized and having their appearance splashed all over the tabloids. While Diana understood the role the media plays in the survival of the Royal Family, she wasn't about to let it constantly hover over her boys. That is why she tried to balance their exposure in the media. Those boys deserved and still deserve a measure of privacy. Let them have what their father never had--A healthier, better outlook at the world rather than treading water in that dang golden fishbowl!!

I remember the anecdote about the Queen and Princess Margaret when Germany surrendered in WWII. They were allowed with some service men to go out among the people and be anonymous in the crowds. They knocked helmets off of soldiers' heads, danced in the streets, and went up to the gates of Buckingham Palace shouting for the King and Queen to come back out onto the balcony. It is often said that this is one of Her Majesty's favorite moments from her life--being an average woman celebrating and acting like an ordinary person.

Last edited:
I think he might marry a member of minor ex-royalty. Perhaps a German, Greek, or Italian princess might do. Although a cousin might be too awkward (that would probably exclude a German since the Windsors are basically cousins of all those Saxe-Whatzahoozit families).

grecka said:
I think he might marry a member of minor ex-royalty. Perhaps a German, Greek, or Italian princess might do. Although a cousin might be too awkward (that would probably exclude a German since the Windsors are basically cousins of all those Saxe-Whatzahoozit families).

Well, William couldn't marry an Italian (or a Spanish) princess since she would be Catholic. There hasn't been a marriage between a son or grandson of the Sovereign and a foreign royal since HRH the Prince George, the Duke of Kent married HRH Princess Marina of Greece in 1934.

Since then, the traditional ties between the House of Windsor and the various non-reigning German ducal and princely families has greatly diminished, so William really doesn't know anyone other than British, Scottish or American eligible ladies.

There are a lot of royal women who are down to earth. Marthe-Louise of Norway in particular seems very approachable. The problem with down-to-earth royal women is that they usually don't want to marry another royal.

WHne charles was young as william, were there any reports with any of his girlfriends (besides DIana) that said a wedding was eminate or that she would definitely be the next Princess of Wales?

Reina said:
WHne charles was young as william, were there any reports with any of his girlfriends (besides DIana) that said a wedding was eminate or that she would definitely be the next Princess of Wales?

I believe Lady Jane Wellsley was touted as a future Princess of Wales. They even had him engaged to Princess Astrid when he hadn't even met her before in his life!

tiaraprin said:
Has William or Harry ever had a moment where they are not being searched for and just another face in the crowd?? Do these boys know what it is truly like to be a common, ordinary person that can go where they wish whenever they wish to?? Diana did. Diana knew what it was like to be just an everyday person walking down the streets going into stores and eating is restaurants without fear of being recognized and having their appearance splashed all over the tabloids. While Diana understood the role the media plays in the survival of the Royal Family, she wasn't about to let it constantly hover over her boys. ...

I think we are talking about different aspects of "down to earth". I was referring to the reality of living ordinary life, ie, with a lot less income than the Spencers or Windsors are accustomed to. Her clothing budget was larger that a lot of people's annual income. I was not talking about going to stores and eating out in restaurants without being disturbed. It just seemed to me that while she was POW, Diana enjoyed all the rank and priviledges associated with someone of her financial situation and social rank. The part about being recognized wasn't always something she disliked. Yes, there were times she wasn't happy with being photographed while out and about with friends. But I also remember reading antedotes about Diana going to the cash machine or feed parking meter. She got a secret thrill at people doing double-takes, the is-she-isn't-she-looks. Yes, she had an earlier life without press around. But going about unrecognized only one aspect of ordinary life, and not a major part either.

I don't think William and Harry haven't experienced not being recognized by people around them. They have both went to fairly remote placed in the world during their gap years, William in Chile and Harry in Lesoto. They were able to help the charities in those regions working on benefiting people who had never heard of them. Still, for all their clamour for incognito, they both invited the press on these expeditions. While there were benefits to highlighting the causes they were supporting at the time, I can't help but wonder if they truly wished for being unrecognized. There have been thousands of volunteers doing the same work they did. There wasn't a cameraman following anyone of the volunteers about before W & H, or after.

well incas if william will never understand what its like to be homeless, neither will a lot of people on this board :D

To me, down to earth means being comfortable in your own skin no matter who you're with. Diana wasn't someone I'd say was down-to-earth. She had an amazing ability to connect with certain people - others like her who were very emotionally expressive. But she couldn't make the connection with other types of people - in general people who did not need a lot of affirmation - they made her uneasy.

tiaraprin said:
I believe Lady Jane Wellsley was touted as a future Princess of Wales. They even had him engaged to Princess Astrid when he hadn't even met her before in his life!

They even tried to hook him up with Princess Caroline of Monaco.

ysbel said:
There are a lot of royal women who are down to earth. Marthe-Louise of Norway in particular seems very approachable.

Crown Princess Victoria is another excellent example.

Dennism said:
Crown Princess Victoria is another excellent example.

I knew Dennism was going to come in with that!!:p

Dennism and I actually chatted about what life might have been for Diana if she married into royal family such as the Bernadottes--life might have been better!

Or even into the Danes. The Queen and Prince Henrik seem to have handled Joachim's divorce civilly, with Alexandra -- none of that Windsor drama.

Yes, for sure. The Danes too. But also I mean there might not have even been a divorce. The Danes and the Bernadottes, while regal, don´t seem to have this obsession with regality that is evident in the UK. Well, for the UK, it is so important to have such a regal royal family. Such a part of the identity of the country.

Last edited:
earlier in this thread, somebody mentioned that there's a law stating that an heir to the throne cannot marry a non-protestant. what if charlotte converts from catholic into protestant before she marries william? does that count? is it still against the law? that is a silly law and they must lift it at once, or else william would have a very limited choice of princess brides... LOLZ;)

aj00192557 said:
earlier in this thread, somebody mentioned that there's a law stating that an heir to the throne cannot marry a non-protestant. what if charlotte converts from catholic into protestant before she marries william? does that count? is it still against the law? that is a silly law and they must lift it at once, or else william would have a very limited choice of princess brides... LOLZ;)

I looked it up once, if Charlotte converted William would still be disqualified.

The law prevents heirs from being Catholics, not anybody else, unless they wish to renounce their rights to the throne.

iowabelle said:
I looked it up once, if Charlotte converted William would still be disqualified.

The law prevents heirs from being Catholics, not anybody else, unless they wish to renounce their rights to the throne.

I meant, it prevents heirs from MARRYING Catholics.

I hope that William marries a non-titled girl. The girls he has dated so far seem very intelligent,down to earth. Queen Elizabeth should loosen up and let him marry for love as opposed to who fits palace criteria.

branchg said:
Well, William couldn't marry an Italian (or a Spanish) princess since she would be Catholic. There hasn't been a marriage between a son or grandson of the Sovereign and a foreign royal since HRH the Prince George, the Duke of Kent married HRH Princess Marina of Greece in 1934.

Since then, the traditional ties between the House of Windsor and the various non-reigning German ducal and princely families has greatly diminished, so William really doesn't know anyone other than British, Scottish or American eligible ladies.

Maybe you are forgetting the marriage of the then HRH Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary to the former HRH Prince Phillipos of Greece and Denmark (by then Lt. Phillip Mountbatten).

Lord Ramsey has a daughter, hasn t he? That would be a nice match I think, or one of the descendants of Lady Zia Wehrner? Theodora of Greece is my personal favourite but helas, I don t think that is going to happen, William will probably marry a commoner from Britain (he never visited any royal event outside GB, right?). They still seem to fear the 'Royal Mob' (like Queen Victoria would call it) there in London ;)

iowabelle said:
They even tried to hook him up with Princess Caroline of Monaco.
And Crown Princess Margarita of Romania. They were photographed together a few times; that was enough to set the hares running. As an aside, Margarita was very pretty in the 70s.

Marengo said:
Maybe you are forgetting the marriage of the then HRH Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary to the former HRH Prince Phillipos of Greece and Denmark (by then Lt. Phillip Mountbatten).

Elizabeth was not a son or grandson of the Sovereign, is she?

Warren and Margarita??? LOL

Warren said:
And Crown Princess Margarita of Romania. They were photographed together a few times; that was enough to set the hares running. As an aside, Margarita was very pretty in the 70s.

Through that dry wit, do I detect that Warren had a crush on Margarita??:p :p Just pulling your leg Warren with my goofy wit!!!:D

William's wife

I was curious to see that how many of you actually want Kate to be Prince William's wife? Do you think he should look around before he settles down?:)

I think Kate is very good for William. You have to remember that William can not have a normal single life with all its perks. He has to be very carefull and their are few women that william can really trust. William has found a trustworthy girl and I do not think he intends on giving her up. He learned from his father. His father gave up the love of his life and went with protocal. William is not going to give up someone like Kate just so he could have fun. It would be a big loss. We do not need Prince William to turn out like Prince Louis of Luxembourg. William knows how carefull he has to be.

I think William needs to do whatever makes him happy... I agree that William has something good going with Kate.

For those who thinks he needs to go out and see what else is out there, I guess I don't understand that... If he's in love with Kate and wishes to marry her, going out and dating others isn't going to change that.

I'm a year younger then Kate and William and am planning my wedidng now, as I type.

I think William is too young to be thinking about marriage and is intelligent enough to know it's better to wait. Kate seems like a woman of fine character and that's good.

Kate seems like a nice girl (and she hasn't blabbed to the tabloids either), but I think it would be good for him to see a variety of girls, just to be sure that she really is the person he wants to spend his life with.

Then again, it wouldn't be good for him to delay too long (like other princes we could mention) and let the right one get away.

As a betting woman, I will lay odds on Kate becoming Princess William of Wales, Princess of Wales and Queen of England (in that order)!

And as a monarchist I thank God William has found the right sort of girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom