Possible Dukedom for Harry and Meghan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 63 25.7%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 112 45.7%
  • Duke of Kendal

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • Duke of Ross

• Duke of Hereford

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Duke of Buckingham

• Something 'New' (Please specify)

• An Earldom (Please specify)

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has the Clan Ross had a nobleman who bore the the title of Earl of Ross?

Yes, some of the first chief of the clan were the Earls of Ross. The last clan chief to hold the title was William III who died in 1372. The title Earl of Ross passed to the Lessley family after that as it was inherited by his daughter Euphemia who married Walter de Lessley.

Yes which was why I said that the only person to take a lesser title than "Royal duke" on marriage was Edward. Mark and Snowdon aren't royal...

And my answer--to someone else--agreed with you...

What was that? :sad: Points are taken, but certainly no need to get all offended. Just saying. Maybe no one did take offense but it certainly came across as that. Good grief and chilly peppers! ;)

Reactions: hel
Duke of Sussex, Earl of Ross...... so England, Scotland......

What about Northern Ireland? What are the predictions there? :bang:

There's been talk that QEII might bestow Duke of Connaught title on Prince Harry, despite the controversy of the extinct title's Irish origins.

Personally, I prefer Sussex, Clarence, or Albany. I realize that the Albany title is in abeyance with prior claimant rights.

Last edited:
Well with Cornwall and Cambridge it makes sense to add another C dukedom. I vote Clarence!

Last edited:
There's been talk that QEII might bestow Duke of Connaught title on Prince Harry, despite the controversy of the extinct title's Irish origins.

Personally, I prefer Sussex, Clarence, or Albany. I realize that the Albany title is in abeyance with prior claimant rights.

Where has there been talk of HM giving a title associated with a foreign country?

It has been accepted for generations within the BRF that only sites within the UK can be used for titles. There was some upset with the ennobling of people with titles from overseas after the war and it was argued that if it wasn't in the UK then it was inappropriate to say the least.

Unless the President, Prime Minister, government and people of the Republic of Ireland gave their approval for the grandson of the Head of State of a foreign state ... and one with which there have been massive negative feelings for many centuries ... having a title associated with a place in their country it won't be happening.

Maybe they should go with an American place name? Not happening of course anymore than an Irish one. It would be regarded as an insult by the Irish.

A Northern Irish title is possible but not one from the Republic.

Albany simply isn't available. Nor is Cumberland or Tevirotdale due to there being many living claimants who would challenge any such title legally.

I heard it in a speculative video report, which is obviously questionable. I came here to see whether it might have been recently discussed legitimately.

Here's the video:

Sorry but a few so called 'royal commentators' including a pub owner, do not really give much credence. The queen is not about to grant a title in an independent country she is not queen of. While the relationship with the republic may be better, her presuming to use a title from the republic, would not be taken kindly by many people. A northern Irish title, like the baron title William and Andrew have, is very likely.

The Duke of Albanny has 13 living heirs, and many of whom are young enough to add to that number. Unless some horrible tragedy strikes and wipes them all out, the title will not be issued again.

The video's suggestion it would be good to continue building relations....... then why stop at Ireland? If creating titles in other countries builds relationships how about Their royal highnesses Duke and Duchess of California, Earl and Countess of Cork, Baron and Baroness Toronto. The only one that might not cause issue would be Toronto since the queen is our monarch but a Canadian title wont happen either.

Last edited:
Naming Harry The Duke of Connaught (or Connacht), is totally out of the question. It would be like naming Harry The Duke of Michigan or The Duke of Transylvania.

The Irish well remember that there was a time when Cromwellian forces took over Ireland in the 17th century and the modus operandi to deal with the Irish was to send them "to hell or Connacht".

Well thanks all. :flowers: That's great since I don't like the not easy to pronounce Connaught title anyway. I know the video report is dubious, speculative and not a reliable source.

What's the odds on Sussex?

Last edited:
I actually think that Sussex is the top contender for Harry's dukedom. Then again, we may be pleasantly surprised come the morning of the wedding. One of the best parts of the day of the wedding. :D

What are the odds of them getting a completely new designation? Completely new? :cool: Created just for them: like the Duke and Duchess of Frogmore, or something.

Or of course HM may decide that there should be no title just yet and leave them as TRH Prince and Princess Henry of Wales (imagine the feminists foaming at the mouth at that one:ROFLMAO:??:whistling::whistling::whistling:););)

:previous: If I had insider information that this was going to happen, I'd rapidly buy up stock in companies that make smelling salts and businesses that repair pearl necklaces. :lol:

Still hoping for the Duke and Duchess of Clarence!

LaRae

Duke of Connaught/Connacht is out of the question ,the Southern Irish titles are all now extinct ans Southern Ireland is a republic.

I'm still hoping for Suffolk ,roll on next month.

It would be cool to have all C's too...Cambridge, Clarence etc.

LaRae

Duke of Connaught/Connacht is out of the question ,the Southern Irish titles are all now extinct ans Southern Ireland is a republic.

There are still Irish peerages, but there will be no Royal dukedoms with an Irish name..

I like Suffolk too but there's already an Earl of Suffolk so I don't think it's an option.

There are still Irish peerages, but there will be no Royal dukedoms with an Irish name..

Its possible for an Irish dukedom if it is in Northern Ireland, which is part and parcel of the United Kingdom. William is Baron Carrickfergus which is in County Antrim in N. Ireland.

Its the areas in the Republic of Ireland that are out of the question.

Yes I know. I am from the Republic of Ireland....

I like Suffolk too but there's already an Earl of Suffolk so I don't think it's an option.

I think its time the Dukedom of Windsor is resurrected! Ms Markle is an American divorcee, after all and her husband will never be King, so it fits perfectly plus they are being married in Windsor~:D

Extremly unlikely and I would say in bad taste. It will take a long time befor the Windsor title is used again, and it would be very inapprorpirate to suggest that Meghan is as unwelcome as a royal as Wallis would have been....

I think its time the Dukedom of Windsor is resurrected! Ms Markle is an American divorcee, after all and her husband will never be King, so it fits perfectly plus they are being married in Windsor~:D

Oh good grief no! That would be saddling a newly married couple with something that is miles and miles away from who they are and too many "bad" comparisons would be made.

Now is not the time to resurrect that Windsor title.

There are still Irish peerages but the last title in the Peerage of Ireland was created in 1898.

Irish place-names have been used in titles since then but within the Peerage of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, which became the Peerage of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland when the Republic of Ireland became independent.

Since the Republic of Ireland is no longer part of the UK, the Queen is restricted to using place-names within Northern Ireland. That's why Connaught is no longer an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom