Possible Dukedom for Harry and Meghan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 63 25.7%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 112 45.7%
  • Duke of Kendal

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • Duke of Ross

• Duke of Hereford

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Duke of Buckingham

• Something 'New' (Please specify)

• An Earldom (Please specify)

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is not a bad thought, however, the current Duke of York is only 58 years old and the Windsor's have a knack for longevity. I don't think they will save York for Prince Harry and therefore, I believe he will get his own dukedom.

But . . ., look down one more generation and I think the second son of a future monarch could very well become the next Duke of York, Prince Louis of Cambridge.

It all really depends, given that Andrew could easily live another 30-40 years, we might not even see it used for Louis if he marries before Andrew passes away. But yea, definitely out of question for Harry, so I don't think HMQ would take into account of Harry being created Duke of York once Andrew passes. Too much time and too many uncertainties.

Harry wont be Duke of York in waiting. It morbid to say 'Oh Andrew we are waiting for you to die already so Harry can have your title.' Edinburgh is much different. Not only was Philip much older, but it was his wish. It was leaving the title to his own son. That is not the situation here obviously.

The question will be who is the next duke. Louis? Or George's second child? It could be either. And its very likely it will be George's 2nd.

Andrew is only 58. If he lives as long as his parents he could live another 30-35 years if not more. Louis is likely to marry when Andrew is alive. They may choose to make him an earl, if the DOY is 93 and close to death, but again they may choose to hold off on that.

Beatrice and Eugenie may drop York when they marry, but they will still be associated with the title. Just as Alexandra is associated with Kent still. It might be considered disrespectful to name Louis Duke of York after Andrew dies, when his daughter are alive. Like right after.

I have a feeling it may be held off until the 2nd child of George. Louis will likely be made Duke of Cambridge when he marries.

I'll predict Harry (in about 3-4 hours) will be Duke of Sussex, Earl of Omagh and Baron Ullapool. Thus, upon marriage, Meghan will be Duchess of Sussex, Countess of Omagh and Lady Ullapool.

We'll soon see...

Possible, though I would switch the Scottish and N Irish titles around. More commonly the N Irish title is the barony (exception being Gloucester/Ulster).

There is no “normally” - to look for precedent, you have to go back over a hundred years to the reigns of Queen Victoria and Edward VII. You can’t really compare, as things were different then.

The other precedent would be the brothers of King Geoge III. they where not the sons af a Monach but where still given ducal Titles. They where hiowever not given the Titles on marriage but at some point by their brother.

I'll predict Harry (in about 3-4 hours) will be Duke of Sussex, Earl of Omagh and Baron Ullapool. Thus, upon marriage, Meghan will be Duchess of Sussex, Countess of Omagh and Lady Ullapool.

We'll soon see...

Wait, the woman doesn't get to be baroness if her husband is made baron?:ohmy:

I think when people refer to Baroness So and so in the British system then it's usually thought that she's a Baroness in her own right, rather than being the wife of a Baron, though of course she is.

No, the proper address for the wife of a baron is Lady. Like Kate is Lady Carrickfergus, not Baroness. When a woman is addresses as baroness, she holds the peerage in her own right. At least with British barons.

Normally one refers to or addresses Baron [X] as Lord [X] and his wife as Lady [X].[6][8][9] Women who hold baronies in their own right may be styled as Baroness [X],[9] or Lady [X].[10][11] In direct address, they can also be referred to as My Lord, Your Lordship, or Your Ladyship, but never as My Lady (except in the case of a female judge). The husband of a Baroness in her own right gains no title or style from his wife. Children of Barons and Baronesses in their own right, whether hereditary or for life, have the style The Honourable [Forename] [Surname]. After the death of the father or mother, the child may continue to use the style The Honourable.
Barons are styled The Right Honourable The Lord [Barony].[6] Barons' wives are styled The Right Honourable The Lady [Barony]. Baronesses in their own right, whether hereditary or for life, are either styled The Right Honourable The Baroness [Barony] or The Right Honourable The Lady [Barony], mainly based on personal preference (e.g., Margaret, Baroness Thatcher and Brenda, Lady Hale, both created baronesses in their own right for life). Note the order of the names: 'Lady Brenda Hale' would denote that she were the daughter of an earl, marquess or duke and, in the case of men, 'Lord Digby Jones' would denote that he were the younger son of a marquess or duke, and should be properly styled "The Lord Jones of Birmingham" (or, less formally: "Digby, Lord Jones"). The Right Honourable is frequently abbreviated to The Rt Hon. or Rt Hon. When referred to by the Sovereign in public instruments, The Right Honourable is changed to Our right trusty and well-beloved, with Counsellor attached if they are a Privy Counsellor.
Courtesy barons are styled Lord [Barony], and their wives Lady [Barony]: the article "The" is always absent; if the courtesy baron is not a Privy Counsellor, the style The Right Honourable will also be absent.

A baron's wife is a baroness, but in modern times "baroness X" is usually used for baronesses in their own right (almost all women who hold peerages are baronesses, so it's not a big issue at higher grades). It's not a hard and fast rule.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom