The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?
Duke of Clarence 63 25.71%
Duke of Sussex 112 45.71%
Duke of Kendal 8 3.27%
Duke of Ross 8 3.27%
Duke of Hereford 6 2.45%
Duke of Windsor 13 5.31%
Duke of Buckingham 8 3.27%
Something 'New' (Please specify) 8 3.27%
An Earldom (Please specify) 4 1.63%
Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales 9 3.67%
Other (Please specify) 6 2.45%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 09:59 PM
Heir Apparent

I still like the ring of 'Duke and Duchess of Ross' (especially for this couple) but unfortunately it doesn't seem likely. Creating Harry Earl of Ross would make it an even less likely choice in the future :(

Old 04-16-2018, 10:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I have ALWAYS wanted this. Something new.

Duke of Frogmore
Duke of Mercia
Duke of Cumbria (that's not Cumberland) - and I'm liking this!
I agree that something new would be fun, and The Duke and Duchess of Cumbria sounds very elegant. But far more elegant would be The Duke and Duchess of Albany. That one is really growing on me.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think Albany is one of the ones unable to be used since there are claimants to the title.

LaRae
Old 04-16-2018, 10:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
What are the odds of them getting a completely new designation? Completely new? Created just for them: like the Duke and Duchess of Frogmore, or something.
There are two villages in the UK named California...
Old 04-16-2018, 10:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I think Albany is one of the ones unable to be used since there are claimants to the title.

LaRae
There most likely are not. See these posts.
Line of Succession to the British Throne
Royal Musings: Royal Marriages Act - and who was actually eligible?
Old 04-16-2018, 11:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
There are two villages in the UK named California...
Now that would be unique! The Duke and Duchess of California. Ha!
Old 04-16-2018, 11:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I agree that something new would be fun, and The Duke and Duchess of Cumbria sounds very elegant. But far more elegant would be The Duke and Ducess of Albany. That one is really growing on me.
Like Cumberland, Albany is NOT available for regrant as it is covered by the 'Titles' Deprivation Act' and has a number of living claimants.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Like Cumberland, Albany is NOT available for regrant as it is covered by the 'Titles' Deprivation Act' and has a number of living claimants.
Yes it was, but as seen in the article by Marlene Koenig the children of Karl Eduard did not have their marriages approved by the British monarch meaning that their descendants had no rights of inheritance of the British title.
For instance Carl XVI Gustav of Sweden isn't in the British line of succession through his mother Sibylla of Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha but because of his grandmother Margaret of Connaught.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:17 AM
Courtier

Dukedom aside, I'm coming to really hope Harry is given a Welsh subsidiary title. I mean, he's been "Harry Wales" for so much of his life at this point. It would be a nice nod to that to give his family line a lasting (if subtle) connection to Wales.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Aren't we forgetting somebody here? Harry?

What has started to annoy me is that I've seen several articles in the US media that is already putting forth the "fact" that Meghan will be known as "HRH, The Duchess of Sussex" after her marriage.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 04-30-2018, 04:12 PM
Courtier

I personally hope Harry gets the Sussex title but I know what you mean. It's irritating when the media presents speculation as fact and you almost wish he ends up with another title just to show them up.

I agree with loonytick - a Welsh title would be very nice.

Maybe Earl of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch?
Old 04-30-2018, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent

What does Sibylla have to do with Harry’s title? Seriously
Old 04-30-2018, 06:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
What does Sibylla have to do with Harry’s title? Seriously
I believe the question arose as to whether Harry could be created Duke of Albany or if the last Duke's descendants still have a claim to that title. Sorry we're getting OT.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Going back to Harry's possible dukedom, can Charles Edward's descendants still petition to have the title of Duke of Albany reinstated ? If they are considered illegitimate under the RMA, then they shouldn't have any legal claim to the title, should they ? Unless under current legislation, the marriage is retroactively validated, which is not guaranteed.

Besides, there has been no such petition to reinstate the title in over 100 years. It appears a waste to me to leave two perfectly fine royal dukedoms in a limbo waiting for a claim that might never be made and maybe cannot be made.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

The discussion on whether or not the Saxe-Coburg and Gotha family (among others) are in the line of Succession to the British throne has been moved here. Let's try to keep this thread on the topic of Harry's possible dukedom.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:15 PM
Courtier

It is possible that the marriages of Charles of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha's descendants might be legal under the Succession to the Crown Act 2013.

Because the Titles Deprivation Act gave descendants of the Dukes of Albany and Cumberland the right to petition for a reinstatement of those titles I don't think the royal family would touch them. The legal issues would need to be worked out first.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Other then as a secondary title to York, Albany is more of a Scottish peerage. Its history in the British royals is not as long.

Not that it isn't a great title, but I don't see them deciding to pick up any controversy by using a title with claimants (even if claim is questioned). It seems a pointless debate to take on. There are other titles to consider.

I think we will likely be seeing a Duke of Sussex. It was considered for Edward and William. It seems like it is due to be used.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:32 PM
Courtier

The title Duke of Albany was used quite frequently by the Stuarts (Scottish royal family), dating back to 1398, so it does in fact have a lengthy association with the British royals. Mary Queen of Scots created her husband Lord Darnley Duke of Albany in 1565 and of course on his death it was inherited by their son, later James VI and I. James created his younger son Charles (later Charles I) Duke of Albany in 1604.

Edinburgh is also a Scottish title so I don't think a Scottish title would be out of the question for Harry. It would be a departure for the Queen who (in terms creating Royal dukedoms) chooses an English place name for the ducal title, a Scottish place name for the earldom, and a Northern Irish place name for the barony.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
The title Duke of Albany was used quite frequently by the Stuarts (Scottish royal family), dating back to 1398, so it does in fact have a lengthy association with the British royals. Mary Queen of Scots created her husband Lord Darnley Duke of Albany in 1565 and of course on his death it was inherited by their son, later James VI and I. James created his younger son Charles (later Charles I) Duke of Albany in 1604.

Edinburgh is also a Scottish title so I don't think a Scottish title would be out of the question for Harry. It would be a departure for the Queen who (in terms creating Royal dukedoms) chooses an English place name for the ducal title, a Scottish place name for the earldom, and a Northern Irish place name for the barony.
Notice I said it has a long history with the Scottish throne

I am not ruling out a Scottish title. Actually I would be shocked if not one of his titles aren't Scottish.

I am simply saying that I don't see the title Albanny being considered so 'historically significant' that they will take on the debate of whether the title is 'extinct' or not. There are other historical titles out there that don't come with the debate as baggage.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Notice I said it has a long history with the Scottish throne

I am not ruling out a Scottish title. Actually I would be shocked if not one of his titles aren't Scottish.

I am simply saying that I don't see the title Albanny being considered so 'historically significant' that they will take on the debate of whether the title is 'extinct' or not. There are other historical titles out there that don't come with the debate as baggage.
Considering the recent Scottish independence referendum and everything that has taken place in Scotland since then, I think that a Scottish dukedom would actually be a plus for the RF and a smart move. Unless the Scots see it as pandering, which I doubt. Any Scottish poster here who could comment ?

Closed Thread