The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?
Duke of Clarence 63 25.71%
Duke of Sussex 112 45.71%
Duke of Kendal 8 3.27%
Duke of Ross 8 3.27%
Duke of Hereford 6 2.45%
Duke of Windsor 13 5.31%
Duke of Buckingham 8 3.27%
Something 'New' (Please specify) 8 3.27%
An Earldom (Please specify) 4 1.63%
Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales 9 3.67%
Other (Please specify) 6 2.45%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 11:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Duke of Connaught/Connacht is out of the question ,the Southern Irish titles are all now extinct ans Southern Ireland is a republic.

I'm still hoping for Suffolk ,roll on next month.
There are still Irish peerages, but there will be no Royal dukedoms with an Irish name..

Old 04-16-2018, 11:28 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Duke of Connaught/Connacht is out of the question ,the Southern Irish titles are all now extinct ans Southern Ireland is a republic.

I like Suffolk too but there's already an Earl of Suffolk so I don't think it's an option.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I'm still hoping for Suffolk, roll on next month.
Suffolk? First I've heard that suggested. Or did you mean to type Sussex?
Old 04-16-2018, 11:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
There are still Irish peerages, but there will be no Royal dukedoms with an Irish name..
Its possible for an Irish dukedom if it is in Northern Ireland, which is part and parcel of the United Kingdom. William is Baron Carrickfergus which is in County Antrim in N. Ireland.

Its the areas in the Republic of Ireland that are out of the question.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 04-16-2018, 11:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes I know. I am from the Republic of Ireland....
Old 04-16-2018, 11:37 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
I like Suffolk too but there's already an Earl of Suffolk so I don't think it's an option.
I think its time the Dukedom of Windsor is resurrected! Ms Markle is an American divorcee, after all and her husband will never be King, so it fits perfectly plus they are being married in Windsor~
Old 04-16-2018, 11:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Extremly unlikely and I would say in bad taste. It will take a long time befor the Windsor title is used again, and it would be very inapprorpirate to suggest that Meghan is as unwelcome as a royal as Wallis would have been....
Old 04-16-2018, 11:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
I think its time the Dukedom of Windsor is resurrected! Ms Markle is an American divorcee, after all and her husband will never be King, so it fits perfectly plus they are being married in Windsor~
Oh good grief no! That would be saddling a newly married couple with something that is miles and miles away from who they are and too many "bad" comparisons would be made.

Now is not the time to resurrect that Windsor title.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
There are still Irish peerages but the last title in the Peerage of Ireland was created in 1898.

Irish place-names have been used in titles since then but within the Peerage of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, which became the Peerage of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland when the Republic of Ireland became independent.

Since the Republic of Ireland is no longer part of the UK, the Queen is restricted to using place-names within Northern Ireland. That's why Connaught is no longer an option.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Suffolk? First I've heard that suggested. Or did you mean to type Sussex?
Yes sorry it was a typo and I indeed meant Sussex!

August 25th, 1270 -Death of King Louis IX of France
Old 04-16-2018, 12:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

One thing I've noticed in this discussion that we perhaps are overlooking is that Denville stated "there are no royal dukedoms with Irish names". The more I think about it, she is correct. If I'm not mistaken, royal dukedoms are primarily English. Other attached titles to the royal dukedom are usually Earls and Barons with the exception of Charles who is also the Duke of Rothesay and Prince Philip who is the Duke of Edinburgh.

So, it seems that a royal dukedom with an Irish name is most likely out of the question.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One thing I've noticed in this discussion that we perhaps are overlooking is that Denville stated "there are no royal dukedoms with Irish names". The more I think about it, she is correct. If I'm not mistaken, royal dukedoms are primarily English. Other attached titles to the royal dukedom are usually Earls and Barons with the exception of Charles who is also the Duke of Rothesay and Prince Philip who is the Duke of Edinburgh.

So, it seems that a royal dukedom with an Irish name is most likely out of the question.
Yes, it seems you are correct. There hasn't been a royal dukedom with an Irish name since Queen Victoria created her son Arthur Duke of Connaught [Irish name] and Strathearn [Scottish] in 1874.

When the Queen made Andrew a duke she copied her father's titles as much as possible: Duke of York [English], Earl of Inverness [Scottish], Baron Killyleagh [Northern Ireland]. Her father had been Baron Killarney, but because Killarney is in the Republic of Ireland, she substituted Killyleagh for Andrew.

When she made William a duke she followed the same format: Duke of Cambridge [English], Earl of Strathearn [Scottish], and Baron Carrickfergus [Northern Ireland].

Maybe she'll use the same template for Harry.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

yes of course. THere's usually an English dukedom and the subsidiary titles honour Wales, Scotland and N Ireland. The only one was Connaught and it would be absolutely inconceiveable for Q ELiz to give that title again. it is in a foreign country......and one which has had a less than harmonious relationship wit the British crown.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

Yes, dukes with an Irish name are thin on the ground as a current Duke who has his seat in Northern Ireland is called something else. The title Duke of Abercorn is a title in the Peerage of Ireland but it refers to Abercorn, West Lothian.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jame...ke_of_Abercorn
Old 04-16-2018, 02:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
I realize that the Albany title is in abeyance with prior claimant rights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Albany simply isn't available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The Duke of Albanny has 13 living heirs, and many of whom are young enough to add to that number. Unless some horrible tragedy strikes and wipes them all out, the title will not be issued again.

As per Marlene Eilers Koenig, none of the descendants of Carl Eduard, second Duke of Albany, sought the approval required by the Royal Marriages Act. Is there evidence suggesting they did?

Royal Musings: Royal Marriages Act - and who was actually eligible?

Assuming they did not, the grandchildren of Carl Eduard and their descendants are legally illegitimate from the British point of view.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

There are still a number of extant titles from the Republic of Ireland. What won't happen is any new ones or recreations of old ones but those that existed when Eire became a Republic and haven't gone extinct through lack of heirs are still extant.

Duke of Leinster (Viscount Leinster and Lord Kildard)
Marquess of Waterford (Baron Tyrone)
Marquess of Donefall (Lord Fisherwick, Lord Templemore)
Marquess of Headfort (Lord Kenlis)
Marquess of Sligo (Lord Monteagle)
Marquess of Ely (Lord Loftus)
Marquess of Conygham (Lord Minster)

et al.

The full list of extant Irish Titles - the list of Earls on down is quite extensive. Some are in Northern Ireland but most are in the Republic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peerag...Irish_peerages

This list includes those titles which aren't used as the substantive title as the holder has a higher substantive title e.g. Earl of Mornington held by the Duke of Wellington

These titles still exist and will exist until there are no legitimate heirs.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:31 PM
Serene Highness

I don't understand why to consider Connaught if it's not based in Northern Ireland. I think it's Sussex.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:33 PM
Majesty

Another option is to create an entirely new dukedom. It probably won’t happen but it would be interesting.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:31 PM
Majesty

I have ALWAYS wanted this. Something new

Duke of Frogmore
Duke of Mercia
Duke of Cumbria (that's not Cumberland) - and I'm liking this!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-16-2018, 09:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't see them making a dukedom based off the name of a house (a structure and not a royal house). Windsor and Buckingham were named for the family (Windsor) and the area (Buckingham) not the palace with the name. Dukedoms also tend to be a larger area of land, like a county.

But a new title, like Duke of Cumbria would be a good idea.

Even if Albany may not be able to be claimed, or may be, there is too much question. Like Windsor, I don't think they will pick a controversial title.

Quote:
When the Queen made Andrew a duke she copied her father's titles as much as possible: Duke of York [English], Earl of Inverness [Scottish], Baron Killyleagh [Northern Ireland]. Her father had been Baron Killarney, but because Killarney is in the Republic of Ireland, she substituted Killyleagh for Andrew.

When she made William a duke she followed the same format: Duke of Cambridge [English], Earl of Strathearn [Scottish], and Baron Carrickfergus [Northern Ireland].

Maybe she'll use the same template for Harry.
We should be expecting three titles, that has been the pattern for generations. The exception being Edward, but that is because his is temporary. Their titles reflect three of the regions of the kingdom.

either England, Scotland and N Ireland:
William: Cambridge (England), Strathearn (Scotland), Carrickfergus (NI)
Andrew: York (England) Inverness (Scotland) Killyleagh (NI)
DofKent: Kent (England) St Andrews (Scotland) Downpatrick (NI)
DofGloucester: Gloucester (England) Ulster (NI), Culloden (Scotland)

or England, Scotland and Wales:
Philip: Edinburgh (Scotland) Merioneth (Wales) Greenwich (England)
Edward: Wessex (England) Severn (Wales)

Edward will eventually be Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Wessex, Viscount Severn so like his father a title from all three areas. The other exception with them, instead of his third title being Baron, it is Viscount.

With the exception of Gloucester and Edinburgh, the Irish or welsh titles have been Baron.

Something like Duke of Sussex, Earl of Ross, Baron X (northern irish title) is likely

Closed Thread