My Pot-au-Feu with Prince William

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeatrixFan

Majesty , Royal Blogger, TRF Author
City
London
Country
United Kingdom
I've started this due to a question from another board member and comments from others. It's all my opinion and you don't have to agree with it.
I realise that I am going to become as hated as Stalin in certain camps for saying this but I know there are those who agree with the sentiment. Prince William. What a dull, boring, limp character. One is almost screaming at the screen when he flashes up, "Do something spontaneous!" - he is a 23 Year Old man behaving like a 65 year old statesman. He only needs the Pipe and slippers and he could be a Grandfather. I just see absolutely no promise in him at all. He's hailed in some camps as being the 'saviour of the Monarchy' - I do hope Kate Middleton has an ounce of personality and sparkle, because she will have to compensate for the lack of it in his camp. I've entitled this topic, 'My Pot-au-Feu with Prince William' because he has about as much character as the French stew which composes of boiled beef, vegetables and marrow bones. He lacks charm completely. I don't expect somersaults of firework displays but I do expect something that shows who he is. As young as he is, he has shown no reason as to why he'd make a good King in my opinion.

I don't see him as being good King material, indeed, I'd prefer Queen Beatrice to King William any day. William seems to be a walking clone - he needs to be programmed daily to ensure that he'll get through the long hours. Maybe I'm being far too critical, but unlike his brother, he doesn't seem to have formed a backbone or anything that shows he's an individual at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! You really did it.

Its certainly your opinion and you are entitled to it! Needless to say I disagree. Big surprise :) Not that I don't think you have valid concerns. I just think its unfair to write William off at the ripe old age of 23! I mean let's face it....until his recent graduation..what has been really said about him that wasn't sanctioned by the Palace? What does the public really know about him? Would you rather him drink and act obnoxious in public, do drugs and generally act silly. After his childhood, and the reaction of the public and press in regards to his brother's recent action..I would think he would applauded for not embarassing the monarchy. And in regards to his grandfatherly ways..I would say he is only emulating his grandparents (who I believe he highly respects) who preach DUTY DUTY DUTY.

Also, I find it rather ironic, that you quote Queen Mary in your foot note and yet criticize him because he acts (when in public) in manner of which she would be rather proud.

Again you are entitled to your opinion..I just think he might surprise you yet :)

BeatrixFan, if you want us old folk to read your posts, you're going to have to use normal-size type. This is age discrimination, you know.:)

Having said that, I think (having applied a magnifying glass to your post) that you're being a bit unfair with the comparison between William and Beatrice. He's grown up knowing that if he draws one breath slightly wrong he'll have the press down his throat and they'll never let him forget it. Beatrice has never had quite that sort of pressure. If she'd grown up as the Heir Presumptive, I think she'd have done some things a bit differently. For one thing, I'm fairly certain we'd never have seen that magazine cover and the glamour shots.

Last edited:
I think William has done a great job of not creating negative publicity for the family. It seems to me that he has had a pretty normal college life (as far as he is able to in his situation) and has turned out to be a fine young man.

I know that this phrase is tossed around a lot when a different opinon is posed, but I think it's apt this time: William is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

If he lived a more "active" live -- say like Harry's -- he would be deemed a bad future monarch because he parties, he drinks, he goes to clubs, etc.

And because he lives a more quiet, out of the shadows life, he is dubbed a boring, plain -- my friends and I call someone like that "granola," -- young man.

(Current) history has shown us that the heir to the throne usually lives a more steadfast (yes, boring if that's how you want to dub it) life than younger siblings, especially when it comes to two siblings of the same sex.

When the Queen was a young princess she lived a pretty quiet life devoted to country living and her horses while Princess Margaret was an in demand guest of all the hottest parties. While Charles was linked to many women in his youth, it was his brother Andrew who got the nickname "Randy Andy."

In Sweden, Victoria works tirelessly with all of her royal duties while younger sister Madeleine is the focus of much media attention and the style maven.

I don't think that partying a lot will make William a better king in the future. Staying the course as he has so far -- concentrating on school and receiving excellent grades, taking on some charity work and trips abroad and soon enrolling in Sandhurst, are all things that will strengthen him as a future monarch who would be head of the church, carry titles with the military, and to meet politicians, etc.

William may very well be a "boring" 23 year-old, but how many 23 year-olds have a destiny as he does to be king?

Elspeth said:
BeatrixFan, if you want us old folk to read your posts, you're going to have to use normal-size type. This is age discrimination, you know.:).

I agree, I am 19 have 20/20 vision and I hardly read your post!!

William is a future monarch of England. Full stop. He has been given time to grow up and have less of the media glare that his Father had and still has plenty of time before taking on a full round of duties. Her Majesty is still alive and may she remain so for quite a long time! Easing William into it makes more sense that just throwing him in at the deep end like his mother was. Perhaps some of his Father's difficulties stem from the constant press intrusion and the fact that Charles was the direct heir, while William has the benefit of being the heir to the heir.

William is strong, level-headed, with the best qualities of his Mother and Father. William will bring the monarchy much success in the 21st century, just wait and see. For those who support Charles, do you not think saying things about his eldest son would make him happy?

William didn't ask to be born, and born Royal at that. I would dearly love to see those who criticize him try to be and do what he does and live his life.

Harry's polo shirt said:
and what does Pot-au-Feu mean???

In BeatrixFan's interpretation it means a bland, boring French stew.

Je ne savais pas que BeatrixFan parle Francais.

Last edited:
Harry's polo shirt said:
and what does Pot-au-Feu mean???
In the context of this thread it means "stirring the pot".

Just add a grain of salt.

Warren

Re;

Sorry about the font size! I'm afraid I'm having a few problems with that recently - sometimes the writing comes up huge and other times miniscule!

Anyway, back on track.

William is a future monarch of England. Full stop.

But does that automatically make him worthy? I don't believe in an elected Monarchy or any of that republican rot, but just because he will be King, doesn't mean he'll be a good one.

Her Majesty is still alive and may she remain so for quite a long time! Easing William into it makes more sense that just throwing him in at the deep end like his mother was.

Well let's not get into that one. If you believe she was thrown in at the deep end then I respect your opinion, even though I staunchly disagree.

William is strong, level-headed, with the best qualities of his Mother and Father. William will bring the monarchy much success in the 21st century, just wait and see. For those who support Charles, do you not think saying things about his eldest son would make him happy?

Is he? How do we know he is strong and level headed? I have seen absolutely no evidence that he's strong at all. He appears as a pasty 23 year old in a suit. The comedienne Linda Smith said once, "The Royal Family - 20 people but only one face". How true it is in some cases. William is just a face (IMHO just like his mother and I'd question whether he's got any qualities of either parent).

I realise how hard it must be for him. The Press attention etc are all issues to deal with. But let's be under no illusion - if he doesn't want to be King, he doesn't have to be. He can marry a Catholic, marry a man or any other thing that would exclude him from succession.

Prince Harry - what an inspiration that boy is. He's actually made some mistakes instead of trying to be an angel. He's put the past to rest by being honestand open - William just doesn't have a public persona. He is Charles's son - not William the Heir.

I would dearly love to see those who criticize him try to be and do what he does and live his life.

Is it that difficult? I'd have no problems in shaking hands with the sick and elderly, giving the press their photographs, taking the posies, attending the ceremonials, welcoming the foreign cousins etc - he's got it pretty easy at the moment - all the more reason he should be showing some individuality.

If he lived a more "active" live -- say like Harry's -- he would be deemed a bad future monarch because he parties, he drinks, he goes to clubs, etc.

Would he? Harry's apologised and people have seen that he has his own style. Would an unplanned action kill William?

When the Queen was a young princess she lived a pretty quiet life
And this is the problem. Instead of looing for other influences, he is following the Queen. She's done an amazing job but times have changed. She's still in the realms of Queen Mary - if she's teaching that style to William then the Monarchy is doomed.

Her Majesty is still alive and may she remain so for quite a long time!

May she remain alive yes - the firm would seem empty without her but on the throne? Thats a different topic I feel.

Well, if we take the route that one is going to be the next monarch no matter what, is Charles worthy?? I would question that much more than William at this point.

Re:

Again, thats another topic but in brief, Charles has a personality, we know what he thinks on most important topics, he has a wife with a personality and he's an individual. William isn't. Maybe he'll grow a personality in time but I can't see the seeds of a history-maker in him at all.

Re;

Heavens above no. I'd only write for the Telegraph ;)

don't think he is supposed to be a history-maker in this time and age and

a bit boring and predictable future prince of wales is safe and reassuring,
just what perhaps is needed and liked by the big public.

BeatrixFan said:
Again, thats another topic but in brief, Charles has a personality, we know what he thinks on most important topics, he has a wife with a personality and he's an individual. William isn't. Maybe he'll grow a personality in time but I can't see the seeds of a history-maker in him at all.

I just feel sorry for Wills with everybody anointing him the savior of the monarchy. What pressure to put a 23 year old kid under!

I've always had affection for William - he seemed shy but a genuinely nice person. I think he had a hard time growing up with two high maintenance parents who needed a lot of parenting themselves. William seemed to be Diana's Father Confessor and when the child has to parent the parent, they lose part of their childhood in the process. Thank God the Queen was a steadying influence on all the Windsor grandchildren (William, Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie, Peter, Zara) because they would have had a tougher time otherwise.

I don't think William needs to have spark or personality to be King - what he does need is not to be so diffident about his status and his future. He has always disliked the press and the attention and that's understandable given the media circus around his mother.

But he is a Prince of England, a Royal Highness, and yes a step above the rest of us and needs to embrace the fact. Too much of the common touch doesn't work for the monarchy.

I hope people give him space to grow into his own person but I doubt that will happen.

Re:

don't think he is supposed to be a history-maker in this time and age

a bit boring and predictable future prince of wales is safe and reassuring,
just what perhaps is needed and liked by the big public.

I don't think he needs to be making history now, but IMO he shows absolutely zero promise of making history in the future. He isn't just a bit boring, he's totally boring and it comes across as him being a bland rich kid - he''ll always have popularity because he's 'Di's Boy' and the ignorami of this country will wash his feet in honey for it.

Thank God the Queen was a steadying influence on all the Windsor grandchildren (William, Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie, Peter, Zara) because they would have had a tougher time otherwise.

No. IMO this is the worst thing that could have happened. As I said previously, Edwardian advice in a 21st Century world doesn't work. The Queen is a darling but her time has gone. Now she is the white-haired old lady in the crown who never puts a foot wrong and you love her because you should. If she doesn't go to a registry office wedding we say, "Well, it's her generation". If William takes her choices, he'll be seen as old-fashioned and out of touch. And thats a very very thin patch of ice to be tap-dancing on.

I don't think William needs to have spark or personality to be King

He does. He definately does. He can't be another face on a fiver - he's got to have some element that makes him different and makes him special. People won't give their loyalty to a pound note - they need a real life, all singing, all dancing model that sets us apart from the rest.

He has always disliked the press and the attention and that's understandable given the media circus around his mother.

As I've said before, she encouraged most of that but it's no good him loathing the Press. If he tries to keep them out, they'll find new and more dangerous ways to get in. A photograph and a comment cost nothing - a snap of him in the nude however costs alot - and thats what will happen. Modern Technology means that you can't hide from the Press no-matter how well you think you've got them covered. The Danes, The Dutch - they all have mastered the Press. The Brits haven't because they try and lock them out.

BeatrixFan, you sound like one of those judges from Australian/ American Princess!
:)

Re:

BeatrixFan, you sound like one of those judges from Australian/ American Princess!

I'm not sure what that is, but I'm guessing its like Pop Idol right? Maybe I should be totally Anne Robinson, "William, You are the Weakest Link - Now please go and get a personality". ;)

Again..I think you are comparing things that are in no way alike.

Now you are making references to the Dutch and Danish press and comparing it to the British press????!!!! I am going to go out on a limb and say there is nothing in this world that is comparable to the British press! Good and Bad!

re:

I am going to go out on a limb and say there is nothing in this world that is comparable to the British press!
But its the RFs fault they are as they are. If they had set reasonable boundaries years ago instead of trying to dodge them all the time they wouldn't have become the repressed desperate journos they are. There has to be a good level of give and take from the beginning. Other RFs have got the hang of it.

BeatrixFan said:
Prince William. What a dull, boring, limp character. One is almost screaming at the screen when he flashes up, "Do something spontaneous!" - he is a 23 Year Old man behaving like a 65 year old statesman. He only needs the Pipe and slippers and he could be a Grandfather. I just see absolutely no promise in him at all.

hummm...I disagree with the 65 year old statesmen...he seems to me as a spoiled brat who needs to grow up. Besides statesmen know who they are; Will obviously doesn't. I think Will will be an admired King--because no one sees any wrong him.:rolleyes:

I think Will will be an admired King--because no one sees any wrong him.:rolleyes:
He'll be admired in two camps. The Pro-Charles camp will admire him for being his fathers son. The Pro-Diana camp will admire him for being his mothers son. It's ridiculous.

Whoa! Time to settle down a bit I think.

BeatrixFan said:
He's got to have some element that makes him different and makes him special.
Reduced to its basics you've answered your own question. The element that makes him different and special is that he is a Royal Prince, he will become Heir to the Throne, and eventually King. Simple. And that's all that most people require. A bit of decency, compassion, and, dare I say it, niceness, thrown in is just an added bonus. Most of us don't make too many demands.

BeatrixFan said:
As I said previously, Edwardian advice in a 21st Century world doesn't work. The Queen is a darling but her time has gone. Now she is the white-haired old lady in the crown who never puts a foot wrong and you love her because you should. If she doesn't go to a registry office wedding we say, "Well, it's her generation". If William takes her choices, he'll be seen as old-fashioned and out of touch. And thats a very very thin patch of ice to be tap-dancing on.

Well Beatrixfan, William is not THAT Edwardian if he's dating Kate ;)

The problem is that the monarchy is not a 21st century institution and I have doubts that it should be. Quite frankly, I'm tired of the cult of personality over real substance. Beatrix and Margrethe are women of substance as well as personality; the substance came first, the personality came later. Margrethe's personality didn't come to the fore until she had been Queen awhile.

BTW, I don't see the 65 year old statesman in William. Right now I see him as aimless as a lot of 24 year olds. Its a generational thing.

The problem is that the monarchy is not a 21st century institution and I have doubts that it should be

Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about cutting chunks out of the Monarchy. But there has to be some form of bringing it into a realistic working order. There's a growing anti- sentiment growing and people are looking to William to save the Monarchy. Yes, it's unfair and I for one don't think he can do it at all - by the links to articles etc, I'm not the only one.

It is Edwardian untill he marries her :)
ysbel said:
Well Beatrixfan, William is not THAT Edwardian if he's dating Kate ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think people are looking to William because they believe that Charles is more backward-looking than forward-looking. The Queen came to the throne when she was too young to really take the institution forward; instead she seemed to act as though it were still her father's reign and she just happened to be the one wearing the crown. She's also had her mother's strong influence in not wanting things to move with the times as fast as they should. Charles gives the impression of being another in that mould, although I think that's something of a false impression. People seem to think that Charles's reign will be George VI Mark 3, and that it isn't until we get to William that things have a hope of making any changes at all.

I really think that this blandness and apparent lack of confidence are good reasons why Diana and William partisans shouldn't be too keen to see him follow the Queen directly as monarch. If he takes over before he's really had time to have a life, it's going to be hard for him to break out out of the straitjacket the Household will want to put on him like they put it on his grandmother when she was too young to tell them where to stick it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom