The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 10-23-2005, 07:46 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
My Pot-au-Feu with Prince William

I've started this due to a question from another board member and comments from others. It's all my opinion and you don't have to agree with it.
I realise that I am going to become as hated as Stalin in certain camps for saying this but I know there are those who agree with the sentiment. Prince William. What a dull, boring, limp character. One is almost screaming at the screen when he flashes up, "Do something spontaneous!" - he is a 23 Year Old man behaving like a 65 year old statesman. He only needs the Pipe and slippers and he could be a Grandfather. I just see absolutely no promise in him at all. He's hailed in some camps as being the 'saviour of the Monarchy' - I do hope Kate Middleton has an ounce of personality and sparkle, because she will have to compensate for the lack of it in his camp. I've entitled this topic, 'My Pot-au-Feu with Prince William' because he has about as much character as the French stew which composes of boiled beef, vegetables and marrow bones. He lacks charm completely. I don't expect somersaults of firework displays but I do expect something that shows who he is. As young as he is, he has shown no reason as to why he'd make a good King in my opinion.

I don't see him as being good King material, indeed, I'd prefer Queen Beatrice to King William any day. William seems to be a walking clone - he needs to be programmed daily to ensure that he'll get through the long hours. Maybe I'm being far too critical, but unlike his brother, he doesn't seem to have formed a backbone or anything that shows he's an individual at all.
__________________

__________________
  #2  
Old 10-23-2005, 08:08 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,146
Wow! You really did it.

Its certainly your opinion and you are entitled to it! Needless to say I disagree. Big surprise :) Not that I don't think you have valid concerns. I just think its unfair to write William off at the ripe old age of 23! I mean let's face it....until his recent graduation..what has been really said about him that wasn't sanctioned by the Palace? What does the public really know about him? Would you rather him drink and act obnoxious in public, do drugs and generally act silly. After his childhood, and the reaction of the public and press in regards to his brother's recent action..I would think he would applauded for not embarassing the monarchy. And in regards to his grandfatherly ways..I would say he is only emulating his grandparents (who I believe he highly respects) who preach DUTY DUTY DUTY.

Also, I find it rather ironic, that you quote Queen Mary in your foot note and yet criticize him because he acts (when in public) in manner of which she would be rather proud.

Again you are entitled to your opinion..I just think he might surprise you yet :)
__________________

__________________
  #3  
Old 10-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
BeatrixFan, if you want us old folk to read your posts, you're going to have to use normal-size type. This is age discrimination, you know.:)

Having said that, I think (having applied a magnifying glass to your post) that you're being a bit unfair with the comparison between William and Beatrice. He's grown up knowing that if he draws one breath slightly wrong he'll have the press down his throat and they'll never let him forget it. Beatrice has never had quite that sort of pressure. If she'd grown up as the Heir Presumptive, I think she'd have done some things a bit differently. For one thing, I'm fairly certain we'd never have seen that magazine cover and the glamour shots.
__________________
  #4  
Old 10-23-2005, 08:59 PM
Ennyllorac's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,974
I think William has done a great job of not creating negative publicity for the family. It seems to me that he has had a pretty normal college life (as far as he is able to in his situation) and has turned out to be a fine young man.
__________________
  #5  
Old 10-23-2005, 09:47 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 3,220
I know that this phrase is tossed around a lot when a different opinon is posed, but I think it's apt this time: William is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

If he lived a more "active" live -- say like Harry's -- he would be deemed a bad future monarch because he parties, he drinks, he goes to clubs, etc.

And because he lives a more quiet, out of the shadows life, he is dubbed a boring, plain -- my friends and I call someone like that "granola," -- young man.

(Current) history has shown us that the heir to the throne usually lives a more steadfast (yes, boring if that's how you want to dub it) life than younger siblings, especially when it comes to two siblings of the same sex.

When the Queen was a young princess she lived a pretty quiet life devoted to country living and her horses while Princess Margaret was an in demand guest of all the hottest parties. While Charles was linked to many women in his youth, it was his brother Andrew who got the nickname "Randy Andy."

In Sweden, Victoria works tirelessly with all of her royal duties while younger sister Madeleine is the focus of much media attention and the style maven.

I don't think that partying a lot will make William a better king in the future. Staying the course as he has so far -- concentrating on school and receiving excellent grades, taking on some charity work and trips abroad and soon enrolling in Sandhurst, are all things that will strengthen him as a future monarch who would be head of the church, carry titles with the military, and to meet politicians, etc.

William may very well be a "boring" 23 year-old, but how many 23 year-olds have a destiny as he does to be king?
__________________
  #6  
Old 10-23-2005, 09:52 PM
Harry's polo shirt's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: my paradise, United States
Posts: 2,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
BeatrixFan, if you want us old folk to read your posts, you're going to have to use normal-size type. This is age discrimination, you know.:).
I agree, I am 19 have 20/20 vision and I hardly read your post!!
__________________
"The pain of spending a week with my brother is well worth it."
– Prince William, on joining Prince Harry for a charity motorcycle ride across South Africa

  #7  
Old 10-23-2005, 09:53 PM
Harry's polo shirt's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: my paradise, United States
Posts: 2,091
and what does Pot-au-Feu mean???
__________________
"The pain of spending a week with my brother is well worth it."
– Prince William, on joining Prince Harry for a charity motorcycle ride across South Africa

  #8  
Old 10-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
Google is your friend:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...n&q=pot+au+feu
__________________
  #9  
Old 10-24-2005, 01:49 AM
tiaraprin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Near NY City, United States
Posts: 1,839
William is a future monarch of England. Full stop. He has been given time to grow up and have less of the media glare that his Father had and still has plenty of time before taking on a full round of duties. Her Majesty is still alive and may she remain so for quite a long time! Easing William into it makes more sense that just throwing him in at the deep end like his mother was. Perhaps some of his Father's difficulties stem from the constant press intrusion and the fact that Charles was the direct heir, while William has the benefit of being the heir to the heir.

William is strong, level-headed, with the best qualities of his Mother and Father. William will bring the monarchy much success in the 21st century, just wait and see. For those who support Charles, do you not think saying things about his eldest son would make him happy?

William didn't ask to be born, and born Royal at that. I would dearly love to see those who criticize him try to be and do what he does and live his life.
__________________
  #10  
Old 10-24-2005, 01:52 AM
tiaraprin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Near NY City, United States
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt
and what does Pot-au-Feu mean???
In BeatrixFan's interpretation it means a bland, boring French stew.

Je ne savais pas que BeatrixFan parle Francais.
__________________
  #11  
Old 10-24-2005, 04:49 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt
and what does Pot-au-Feu mean???
In the context of this thread it means "stirring the pot".

Just add a grain of salt.

Warren
__________________
  #12  
Old 10-24-2005, 07:02 AM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Re;

Sorry about the font size! I'm afraid I'm having a few problems with that recently - sometimes the writing comes up huge and other times miniscule!

Anyway, back on track.

Quote:
William is a future monarch of England. Full stop.
But does that automatically make him worthy? I don't believe in an elected Monarchy or any of that republican rot, but just because he will be King, doesn't mean he'll be a good one.

Quote:
Her Majesty is still alive and may she remain so for quite a long time! Easing William into it makes more sense that just throwing him in at the deep end like his mother was.
Well let's not get into that one. If you believe she was thrown in at the deep end then I respect your opinion, even though I staunchly disagree.

Quote:
William is strong, level-headed, with the best qualities of his Mother and Father. William will bring the monarchy much success in the 21st century, just wait and see. For those who support Charles, do you not think saying things about his eldest son would make him happy?
Is he? How do we know he is strong and level headed? I have seen absolutely no evidence that he's strong at all. He appears as a pasty 23 year old in a suit. The comedienne Linda Smith said once, "The Royal Family - 20 people but only one face". How true it is in some cases. William is just a face (IMHO just like his mother and I'd question whether he's got any qualities of either parent).

I realise how hard it must be for him. The Press attention etc are all issues to deal with. But let's be under no illusion - if he doesn't want to be King, he doesn't have to be. He can marry a Catholic, marry a man or any other thing that would exclude him from succession.

Prince Harry - what an inspiration that boy is. He's actually made some mistakes instead of trying to be an angel. He's put the past to rest by being honestand open - William just doesn't have a public persona. He is Charles's son - not William the Heir.

Quote:
I would dearly love to see those who criticize him try to be and do what he does and live his life.
Is it that difficult? I'd have no problems in shaking hands with the sick and elderly, giving the press their photographs, taking the posies, attending the ceremonials, welcoming the foreign cousins etc - he's got it pretty easy at the moment - all the more reason he should be showing some individuality.

Quote:
If he lived a more "active" live -- say like Harry's -- he would be deemed a bad future monarch because he parties, he drinks, he goes to clubs, etc.
Would he? Harry's apologised and people have seen that he has his own style. Would an unplanned action kill William?

Quote:
When the Queen was a young princess she lived a pretty quiet life
And this is the problem. Instead of looing for other influences, he is following the Queen. She's done an amazing job but times have changed. She's still in the realms of Queen Mary - if she's teaching that style to William then the Monarchy is doomed.

Quote:
Her Majesty is still alive and may she remain so for quite a long time!
May she remain alive yes - the firm would seem empty without her but on the throne? Thats a different topic I feel.
__________________
  #13  
Old 10-24-2005, 08:35 AM
tiaraprin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Near NY City, United States
Posts: 1,839
Well, if we take the route that one is going to be the next monarch no matter what, is Charles worthy?? I would question that much more than William at this point.
__________________
  #14  
Old 10-24-2005, 08:44 AM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Re:

Again, thats another topic but in brief, Charles has a personality, we know what he thinks on most important topics, he has a wife with a personality and he's an individual. William isn't. Maybe he'll grow a personality in time but I can't see the seeds of a history-maker in him at all.
__________________
  #15  
Old 10-24-2005, 08:57 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
. William... Maybe he'll grow a personality in time but I can't see the seeds of a history-maker in him at all.
So harsh! You don't by any chance moonlight for The Guardian as their Royal writer?

Prince William current events 6: Sept - Nov 2005

W
__________________
  #16  
Old 10-24-2005, 08:59 AM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Re;

Heavens above no. I'd only write for the Telegraph
__________________
  #17  
Old 10-24-2005, 09:12 AM
susan alicia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , Netherlands
Posts: 2,528
don't think he is supposed to be a history-maker in this time and age and

a bit boring and predictable future prince of wales is safe and reassuring,
just what perhaps is needed and liked by the big public.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Again, thats another topic but in brief, Charles has a personality, we know what he thinks on most important topics, he has a wife with a personality and he's an individual. William isn't. Maybe he'll grow a personality in time but I can't see the seeds of a history-maker in him at all.
__________________
  #18  
Old 10-24-2005, 09:43 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
I just feel sorry for Wills with everybody anointing him the savior of the monarchy. What pressure to put a 23 year old kid under!

I've always had affection for William - he seemed shy but a genuinely nice person. I think he had a hard time growing up with two high maintenance parents who needed a lot of parenting themselves. William seemed to be Diana's Father Confessor and when the child has to parent the parent, they lose part of their childhood in the process. Thank God the Queen was a steadying influence on all the Windsor grandchildren (William, Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie, Peter, Zara) because they would have had a tougher time otherwise.

I don't think William needs to have spark or personality to be King - what he does need is not to be so diffident about his status and his future. He has always disliked the press and the attention and that's understandable given the media circus around his mother.

But he is a Prince of England, a Royal Highness, and yes a step above the rest of us and needs to embrace the fact. Too much of the common touch doesn't work for the monarchy.

I hope people give him space to grow into his own person but I doubt that will happen.
__________________
  #19  
Old 10-24-2005, 09:59 AM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Re:

Quote:
don't think he is supposed to be a history-maker in this time and age

a bit boring and predictable future prince of wales is safe and reassuring,
just what perhaps is needed and liked by the big public.
I don't think he needs to be making history now, but IMO he shows absolutely zero promise of making history in the future. He isn't just a bit boring, he's totally boring and it comes across as him being a bland rich kid - he''ll always have popularity because he's 'Di's Boy' and the ignorami of this country will wash his feet in honey for it.

Quote:
Thank God the Queen was a steadying influence on all the Windsor grandchildren (William, Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie, Peter, Zara) because they would have had a tougher time otherwise.
No. IMO this is the worst thing that could have happened. As I said previously, Edwardian advice in a 21st Century world doesn't work. The Queen is a darling but her time has gone. Now she is the white-haired old lady in the crown who never puts a foot wrong and you love her because you should. If she doesn't go to a registry office wedding we say, "Well, it's her generation". If William takes her choices, he'll be seen as old-fashioned and out of touch. And thats a very very thin patch of ice to be tap-dancing on.

Quote:
I don't think William needs to have spark or personality to be King
He does. He definately does. He can't be another face on a fiver - he's got to have some element that makes him different and makes him special. People won't give their loyalty to a pound note - they need a real life, all singing, all dancing model that sets us apart from the rest.

Quote:
He has always disliked the press and the attention and that's understandable given the media circus around his mother.
As I've said before, she encouraged most of that but it's no good him loathing the Press. If he tries to keep them out, they'll find new and more dangerous ways to get in. A photograph and a comment cost nothing - a snap of him in the nude however costs alot - and thats what will happen. Modern Technology means that you can't hide from the Press no-matter how well you think you've got them covered. The Danes, The Dutch - they all have mastered the Press. The Brits haven't because they try and lock them out.
__________________
  #20  
Old 10-24-2005, 10:05 AM
Australian's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 2,152
BeatrixFan, you sound like one of those judges from Australian/ American Princess!
:)
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
prince william


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Preferred Wives For William and Harry clar Prince Harry and Prince William 2078 11-17-2010 08:49 PM
Charles And Camilla news and pics 1: Oct 2002 - Oct 2003 Lorraine Current Events Archive 134 10-31-2003 09:31 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri infanta cristina infanta elena infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg ottoman pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince joachim prince laurent prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess elisabeth princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia spain state visit sweden wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:41 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]