My Pot-au-Feu with Prince William

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are in the army, though. As many have pointed out before in this thread, being in the army does not merely mean serving in Iraq or Afghanistan. There are a multitude of jobs in the army that require many enlisted and officers to stay in their homeland and serve in supportive duties.

It's the same with the navy. You don't have to be on a ship to be a sailor.

With the air force, you don't have to be flying planes to be an airman.

You don't have to be on the front lines to be in the military, period. No, not even when there is a war going on.

If William and Harry are just playing dress up, then all their fellow soldiers who are based at the same duty station where they work, well, all of them are playing dress up too, because by your argument, if you are not serving in Iraq or Afghanistan, you're not a real soldier, or really in the army.

No, no. The point isn't that the others are not soldiers. Of course, they are. But they could, at any moment, be shipped to any difficult designation, changing where they are today. Harry and William cannot. It is not their fault. But they cannot claim to be in the same status as those that could, which goes for the entire force, except them.

I understand what you are saying, Countess, or I think I do, but I still think it's like comparing apples to oranges. In the same sense, Prince William and Prince Harry will always be singled out.

The more I think about it, the more I respect them. At least they are trying to do what they can do instead of being discouraged by what they can't do. Isn't that what all of us try to do? We just do what we are able to do.
No one can do everything. We all have limitations. But we make the most of it....

As I said, it is not their fault. I don't think it is a waste of money training them. Lord, knows, people go to college and get a degree in one thing and do something else entirely. At least, they will have an appreciation of what it takes to start to be a soldier. The rest life has decided for them. Harry could have really served, but as long as William is without a direct heir, Harry is it. It was a damned if he did, damned if he didn't situation. I, certainly, do not know what is right or wrong.

It seems that the Royal Family still think that a background in the Armed Forces is a useful attribute for a senior royal. That may not always be the case, but as long as Prince Philip is a force in the family, I don't see it changing.
It must date back to medieval times, when Kings and Princes led their armies into wars. And, some lost their lives in battle. Now it just seems to be symbolic, but something that is required of heirs to the throne. But as a custom for senior royals to do this, if they are never going to be usefully contributing for what they get trained in, than maybe they should be banned from military training and just get moved into charitable causes and country representation functions sooner. Though I do wonder if Harry would have been deployed if his mother was still alive. Another senseless death of a too young royal might just ruin the monarchy.

Yeah, I don't know what's right or wrong either.... I figure, leave it to the experts (the generals at Whitehall) to know whether it's appropriate for the princes to go to a war zone. After all, they get paid the big bucks to make the big decisions....

It must date back to medieval times, when Kings and Princes led their armies into wars. And, some lost their lives in battle. Now it just seems to be symbolic, but something that is required of heirs to the throne. But as a custom for senior royals to do this, if they are never going to be usefully contributing for what they get trained in, than maybe they should be banned from military training and just get moved into charitable causes and country representation functions sooner. Though I do wonder if Harry would have been deployed if his mother was still alive. Another senseless death of a too young royal might just ruin the monarchy.

But how do you know what is a useful job in the army? How do you gage what are the useful jobs and the useless jobs? And furthermore, how can you know which kind of job, useful or useless, the princes have?

Quote:
Thank God the Queen was a steadying influence on all the Windsor grandchildren (William, Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie, Peter, Zara) because they would have had a tougher time otherwise.
No. IMO this is the worst thing that could have happened. As I said previously, Edwardian advice in a 21st Century world doesn't work. The Queen is a darling but her time has gone. Now she is the white-haired old lady in the crown who never puts a foot wrong and you love her because you should. If she doesn't go to a registry office wedding we say, "Well, it's her generation". If William takes her choices, he'll be seen as old-fashioned and out of touch. And thats a very very thin patch of ice to be tap-dancing on.

It sounds like you are saying people shouldn't take advice from their grandparents. I don't love her because I should, that would be rather stupid to blindly love someone just because you are told to. I think she has a lot of good advice to give the "younger generations", and it is certainly far from being the worst thing that could have happened.

I think military men do sometimes have a reputation for living life to the full, including having a fairly riotous social life. However, I agree that William and Harry should be somewhat more mindful of their image since they're army officers during a time when troops are deployed in a war zone. I'm sure William is doing more with his life than hanging around clubs and getting drunk, but that's what shows up in the papers and it gives people the impression that it's all he's doing. The princes seem to be being let down by their PR people at the moment if they really think they can carry on the way they're going and not end up being heavily criticised for it.

I will merely add, Elspeth, that a number of my family members were and are active army officers. Of course, they do, indeed, live somewhat riotously, but that's nearly always when their lives, and the lives of their friends and colleagues are lost or endangered.

Further, I do not believe that the princes are 'being let down by their PR'. It's painful to admit, but I do not think that the world's greatest PR team could turn this sow's ear of their continual self-indulgent behaviour, into any sort of a silk purse.

I'm the last person to criticise youthful hi-jinks or silliness, or out-of-hand behaviour, but they're not 'lads' any longer. William, especially, is starting to let people down. From recent photos of him, he's even starting to lose his good-looks, which, sad to say, will work against him in today's media-mad world if he doesn't pull his socks up!

I wish William all success and happiness, but who can tell me what he's done, to date, which is special and remarkable.

I suspect that Beatrixfan is right: William is proving a dead bore. Young Harry, at least, has his good work in Africa for us to positively reflect on.

It seems that the Royal Family still think that a background in the Armed Forces is a useful attribute for a senior royal. That may not always be the case, but as long as Prince Philip is a force in the family, I don't see it changing.
I don't think it is just Phillip. The services (from officer perspective), are supposed to teach. among other things, leadership and self discipline. Ideal subjects for young men and women, sadly these lessons seem to have passed William and Harry by.

Having said all of that, it does give small comfort to other soldiers, that the man who is going to be their 'leader' as head of the armed sevices one day, has at least completed the tough training at RMAS.

Most soldiers, officers and other ranks do live life to the full, even when their friends and colleagues are risking their lives, but most other soldiers staggering out of clubs, bleary eyed, would by now have been put up on a charge.

I think most of us understand, to some extent, why William will never be allowed to fight, but there is not, IMO, any reason to mollycoddle Harry. There are many trades within the armed forces that do not fight, as such, but they are still sent to war zones. Even the chippy's go out, if only to make boxes to bring their comrades home in.

Last edited:
No, no. The point isn't that the others are not soldiers. Of course, they are. But they could, at any moment, be shipped to any difficult designation, changing where they are today. Harry and William cannot. It is not their fault. But they cannot claim to be in the same status as those that could, which goes for the entire force, except them.

One article said that harry sometimes is the only lieutenant of his regiment to be at the barracks in Windsor - the others are in Iracq. And he is sitting in a military barrack watching the castle his ancestors built, have reigned in, which will one day belong to his father and then his brother. It's such an enormous symbol of the past which shaped so much in Harry's life and IMHO he must feel often very helpless wehn because of the past he is not even allowed to fight. So instead he "plays" around doing "male" things instead of doing something worthy.

It must have been difficult for a down-to-earth girl like Chelsy to watch this from afar - and to realize that when she came to be at least in the same country, he turned her down, went out with his boys instead, partying with other girls and even starting to forget her brithday before he even had a chance to forget their wedding anniverseries...

Mind, I understand how a young man can be so unhappy about things, but as long as he has not finished the basic training required of a successful cadet, he can't drop out of the military. He is in a situation where he has to learn from being not able to change things because that's what his life is about: being who he is without a chance to change things other than from within himself - he can change, the situation will not go away. And if he looks for challenges - why doen't he play at least polo sucessfully for his regiment or ven his country? Noone would mind if a young officer who cannot go to war directly turns to fighting for the honour of his regiment. Instead he puts his dad, granddad and grandmother to shame through being a suspect in the killing of protected birds. Hey, anyone who can shoot can kill these birds - the difference between a hunter and a animal-slaughter is to know which animals to kill and for what reasons. It shows a lack of responsibility and while I believe the elder and higher ranked officers have done their best to install that feeling in Harry (and William), I have the feeling they failed.

One does not think queen Elisabeth or young king George III. (before he became ill) or Edward Plantagenent or Richard Lionheart as ancestors, one thinks of weak Edward VIII. or spoilt and debauched prince regent (later king) George (IV.) and his strange collection of brothers when one thinks of William as the last of this illustrous line so far. A sad thought.

It shows a lack of responsibility and while I believe the elder and higher ranked officers have done their best to install that feeling in Harry (and William), I have the feeling they failed.
Unfortunately they probably have the same feeling as you Jo. :bang:

Based on some of the posts here...it sounds like everyone has totally written William and Harry off as non productive members of society. They are not the only people in their age group who like to party hard.

Now, I will agree that in some instances, they have both shown bad judgement and they need to remember that they are not ordinary boys/men. And the public expects certain things from them and press would love to catch them in non desirable situations (snorting vodka, wearing a Nazi uniform, etc.) WITH ALL THAT IN MIND...I am hopeful that they will both "grow" into their positions..and show a little class and discretion.

I don't know them personally, but I do know that the Zonk at 39 (that's my age) is not the same person I was at 26! I would imagine it will be the same for them. Don't give up on them yet!

I don't know them personally, but I do know that the Zonk at 39 (that's my age) is not the same person I was at 26! I would imagine it will be the same for them. Don't give up on them yet!

I am trying hard not to give up on them! :lol: It's not easy sometimes but I am hanging in there!!!! :cool:

Based on some of the posts here...it sounds like everyone has totally written William and Harry off as non productive members of society. They are not the only people in their age group who like to party hard.

They are however, the only people in their age group who are members of the Royal Family. Their excuse for their behaviour seems to be that they are ordinary guys - well, they're not. A little more is expected from them than Joe public. They make sacrifices but they're well compensated - that's the way monarchy works.

They are however, the only people in their age group who are members of the Royal Family. Their excuse for their behaviour seems to be that they are ordinary guys - well, they're not. A little more is expected from them than Joe public. They make sacrifices but they're well compensated - that's the way monarchy works.
Yes indeed, if they want to behave like chavs.......

they are very mush normal yes they have other obligations to full fill sence they are Royal but they are young and stile trying to figuar life out it is not as easy with out there mother around they are growing up and starting to take there place in the world it just takes time william will make a great King some day.

Yes indeed, if they want to behave like chavs.......
Love the translation for that word. I think there are quite a few people here that would fit into that category that I'm aware of. Absolutely fabulous, I could make that comment and they would have no idea what I was talking about. Woohoo! Seriously though, I keep keep thinking that someday that precious boy, or, young man will be the King of England and he has been groomed to take on that position dont you all think? I would hope he still has something of his mother in him. I would hope he didnt lose her passion for life, her longing to just be "normal" somewhat, her ability to love and take chances whenever possible. It would be rather disappointing to think that he has become another royal robot who has no personality, no zest for life, a total grandmas boy. I would hope he would bring some very needed change into the family , since we are in the 21st century last time I looked.
Maybe he is hiding his personality on the basis that he doesnt want to make himself vulnerable to anyone, he doesnt want to be hounded by the paparrazi as much as his mother was. Possibility?:flowers:

You don't think the Queen has any personality?

Your comment is spot-on, Elspeth. Without HM the Queen, they'd all be in dire straits, just now.

Her Majesty has proved responsive, adaptable, understanding and honourable.

If this doesn't denote character and an admirable personality, I don't know what does!

You don't think the Queen has any personality?

Not hardly Elspeth. Honestly now, you cant possibly think that she does, do you? She is just so boring and plain but I attribute that to her upbringing. Its not her fault of course. :flowers:

Your comment is spot-on, Elspeth. Without HM the Queen, they'd all be in dire straits, just now.

Her Majesty has proved responsive, adaptable, understanding and honourable.

If this doesn't denote character and an admirable personality, I don't know what does!
I'm not saying she isn't honorable and adaptable and courageous etc,etc, I'm saying she has a very plain personality, no vitality, no excitement, everything is so dull with her. Thats why I said I would hope Wills would have some of his mom in him and not be like his grandma or his dad for that matter.:flowers: Btw, didnt mean to raise the hairs on anyones backs, necks, whatever the saying is, it's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Unfortunately (or fortunately), being bland is the only way to not be controversial. Extreme personalities put people off.

I'm not saying she isn't honorable and adaptable and courageous etc,etc, I'm saying she has a very plain personality, no vitality, no excitement, everything is so dull with her.

Only her public personality, if even that can be described as such.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), being bland is the only way to not be controversial. Extreme personalities put people off.

Only her public personality, if even that can be described as such.
So you are saying that behind closed doors she is whistling and telling jokes and being "normalish". Am I to believe that she is completely different than how we see her? :flowers:

Not hardly Elspeth. Honestly now, you cant possibly think that she does, do you?

Yes.

She is just so boring and plain but I attribute that to her upbringing. Its not her fault of course. :flowers:

I think personality is innate. Her upbringing may well be the reason for her reserve, but the word from people who know her is that along with her serious and dutiful outlook on life, she's an honest and reliable person with a strong sense of humour and a quick wit. Sounds like a perfectly good personality to me.

I'm not saying she isn't honorable and adaptable and courageous etc,etc, I'm saying she has a very plain personality, no vitality, no excitement, everything is so dull with her. Thats why I said I would hope Wills would have some of his mom in him and not be like his grandma or his dad for that matter.:flowers:

I think it'd be good if William combined aspects of his mother's personality with aspects of his father's personality. I'm sure you won't get any disagreement about hoping that he'll be a compassionate person, but I for one could do without the manipulative behaviour and histrionics that were his mother's stock in trade along with her better points.

I think it'd be good if William combined aspects of his mother's personality with aspects of his father's personality. I'm sure you won't get any disagreement about hoping that he'll be a compassionate person, but I for one could do without the manipulative behaviour and histrionics that were his mother's stock in trade along with her better points.
Agreed and well put. Both attributes would round things out quite nicely.:flowers:

Yes.

I think personality is innate. Her upbringing may well be the reason for her reserve, but the word from people who know her is that along with her serious and dutiful outlook on life, she's an honest and reliable person with a strong sense of humour and a quick wit. Sounds like a perfectly good personality to me.
I wonder if she is anything like the movie portrayed her. I suppose she did have a sense of humor and compassionate qualities although serious and stiff when she needed to be.:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom