My Pot-au-Feu with Prince William

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeatrixFan said:
I've started this due to a question from another board member and comments from others. It's all my opinion and you don't have to agree with it.
I realise that I am going to become as hated as Stalin in certain camps for saying this but I know there are those who agree with the sentiment. Prince William. What a dull, boring, limp character. One is almost screaming at the screen when he flashes up, "Do something spontaneous!" - he is a 23 Year Old man behaving like a 65 year old statesman. He only needs the Pipe and slippers and he could be a Grandfather. I just see absolutely no promise in him at all. He's hailed in some camps as being the 'saviour of the Monarchy' - I do hope Kate Middleton has an ounce of personality and sparkle, because she will have to compensate for the lack of it in his camp. I've entitled this topic, 'My Pot-au-Feu with Prince William' because he has about as much character as the French stew which composes of boiled beef, vegetables and marrow bones. He lacks charm completely. I don't expect somersaults of firework displays but I do expect something that shows who he is. As young as he is, he has shown no reason as to why he'd make a good King in my opinion.

I don't see him as being good King material, indeed, I'd prefer Queen Beatrice to King William any day. William seems to be a walking clone - he needs to be programmed daily to ensure that he'll get through the long hours. Maybe I'm being far too critical, but unlike his brother, he doesn't seem to have formed a backbone or anything that shows he's an individual at all.
Woaw! Brilliant post!!
Just replace William by Charles and Kate by Camilla and you have my exact, perfectly expressed view on The Prince of Wales...:D

Now, I have to say I'm really impress by you stamina BeatrixFan. Making such a bold statement in the prince William tread... Respect.

However I have to disagree with you. I do think William has a personality, but he goes to incredible extend to show nothing of it. I see it as a defence mechanism. I agree with you that everything he does is quite boring (even his choice of companion does nothing to excite a hint of excitement, at least IMO); but I can't blame him for that. He plays it safe, and considering how the British Press treats Royals, he better do. Look at how Harry (who is also my favourite) has been trashed. Look at how his girlfriend is treated and defamed.
I also disagree with you 65 years old statement. Unlike his father, William has a natural charisma, which is what keeps me interested in him (plus his good looks, I won't deny).

Here are two pics to prove that William can let his hair down sometimes...

William wild 1
William wild 2

PS: Pôt-au-feu is very good!!! (an outraged Gallic poster)

ok....welll...i think i could have lived a happy life without ever having seen those 2 photos...

I have to agree with Beatrixfan about wills being dull.

rudy guiliani's used to say that he'd "rather be respected than loved." perhaps it'll turn out that way with william.

though, William's not married yet so everything can still change. willem alexander of holland was generally considered boring and not too bright ( i disagree, but a lot of people think that) and then he marries a sparkling lady like Maxima and immediately the royal family becomes a whole lot more interesting.

Re:

Lol! Thanks Idriel - and God Bless you for your opinion on Charles even though I am totally 100% in disagreement with you! Thats how a board should be.

I totally understand the press issue. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile. But look at what we know of Harry - he likes to drink, he likes to smoke, he likes a good party and you can only push him too far. He's a little bit wild, dangerous but he has his strict army side and he knows when he's overstepped the mark. William won't even get within 10 feet of the mark let alone overstep it and as I said, I'm dying for him to do something wrong to prove his isn't the cherub Prince with no personality that I percieve him to be.

I do think William is over hyped. He is popular for his good looks and that people think he has inherited superhero saintly blood from Diana. He is young man in his 20's still trying to figure out who he is which takes longer cause he is a royal. He hides his fun side and personality because he is not ready to build up his image yet. Plus, I think the press would much rather pay attention to Harry than William when it comes to having fun. Even if William acted the same way as Harry, William looks like a pretty prep boy and wouldnt get much attention. Harry is the red haired sexy bad boy that would get the attention. William is not the savior of the monarchy. He is far from it. We have yet to see Charles reign. From what I hear Charles reign will be very different from QEII. So it will be Williams job to take the changes his father made and form them for the future monarchs to use as a guide line.

BeatrixFan said:
Lol! Thanks Idriel - and God Bless you for your opinion on Charles even though I am totally 100% in disagreement with you! Thats how a board should be.

I totally understand the press issue. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile. But look at what we know of Harry - he likes to drink, he likes to smoke, he likes a good party and you can only push him too far. He's a little bit wild, dangerous but he has his strict army side and he knows when he's overstepped the mark. William won't even get within 10 feet of the mark let alone overstep it and as I said, I'm dying for him to do something wrong to prove his isn't the cherub Prince with no personality that I percieve him to be.

it depends on what he does wrong. i mean, if he gets sloshed in public that'll just prove he's the same as so many other people his age. that would only make me find him more boring.

Re:

it depends on what he does wrong. i mean, if he gets sloshed in public that'll just prove he's the same as so many other people his age

True. He doesn't need to be extreme - Harry isn't extreme - he needs to enjoy being young before he becomes an old bearded King with a paunch and gout.

However I have to disagree with you. I do think William has a personality, but he goes to incredible extend to show nothing of it. I see it as a defence mechanism. I agree with you that everything he does is quite boring (even his choice of companion does nothing to excite a hint of excitement, at least IMO); but I can't blame him for that. He plays it safe, and considering how the British Press treats Royals, he better do. Look at how Harry (who is also my favourite) has been trashed. Look at how his girlfriend is treated and defamed.
I also disagree with you 65 years old statement. Unlike his father, William has a natural charisma, which is what keeps me interested in him (plus his good looks, I won't deny).
I just coun´t agree more! you read my toughts:)
I also think that Wills has personality but he choose doesn´t show it. He wants the best for UK and his family, so he tries to behave well and take care of his acts. Personally i appreceate him for that: he´s doing a big effort for his people.
If I was in his feet i´d do the same becouse i think it may be my obligation

For me he has a natural charisma, i see it on his eyes:p

Beatrix fan, you are a brave girl!!
btw

Last edited by a moderator:
Re:

I also think that Wills has personality but he choose doesn´t show it. He wants the best for UK and his family, so he tries to behave well and take care of his acts. Personally i appreceate him for that: he´s doing a big effort for his people.
If I was in his feet i´d do the same becouse i think it may be my obligation

If this is the case, he better start showing it. This holier-than-thou babyfaced act is becoming very very boring. I don't think he could care less about the country at this stage. Its nothing to do with him - he strikes me as the sort who lets other people deal with his problems, as long as he's happy with whats happening to him at that moment.

I don't think he's put in any effort - The Princess Royal, The Prince of Wales ,The Duchess of Cornwall, Princess Alexandra, Princess Michael - they put in alot of effort and they make a difference - what does William do exactly? He's going to be a bank manager or a farmer - the two most boring jobs in the world (unless you happen to be a bank manager or a farmer I suppose).

What does he do exactly?

He just graduated from college..thats what he just did...and like other recent college graduates..he is trying to find his place in life. To compare him to other royals who are in their 50's and have a chance to adapt to their life in the royal family..is just unfair.

Re:

He just graduated from college..thats what he just did...and like other recent college graduates..he is trying to find his place in life. To compare him to other royals who are in their 50's and have a chance to adapt to their life in the royal family..is just unfair.

He's completed University. Well Done William. So have thousands of others. And what did William study for? Why bother? He's got the top job by birth. Teach him French, German, Geography and History and throw in a spell at Sunday School - that should handle public appearance. The rest we'll never see. Why train in a bank etc? What use is that to a King? He'll know how to fix the ATM at Buckingham Palace?

I'm not comparing him to those people to be cruel - but they have personalities and individual traits - William is just a face (and not that good looking IMHO) in the Royal Ranks - at least Harry has some history and some flair.

Last edited:
BeatrixFan said:
If this is the case, he better start showing it. This holier-than-thou babyfaced act is becoming very very boring. I don't think he could care less about the country at this stage. Its nothing to do with him - he strikes me as the sort who lets other people deal with his problems, as long as he's happy with whats happening to him at that moment.

I don't think he's put in any effort - The Princess Royal, The Prince of Wales ,The Duchess of Cornwall, Princess Alexandra, Princess Michael - they put in alot of effort and they make a difference - what does William do exactly? He's going to be a bank manager or a farmer - the two most boring jobs in the world (unless you happen to be a bank manager or a farmer I suppose).
Don´t you think that being a farmer or a bank manager isn´t a big effort?! Image it may be so boring!!!:p :p

Seriously, if you have a personality it´s quite difficult do things that you don´t like or try to don´t make mistakes when you have 23 years old!
And there are lots of ways to "make the difference": charles and camilla are a example of a bad one, however i don´t like them and i don´t want to discuss about them again. Talking about Wills he can be different having a nice and close relationship with his country, helping, and perhaps showing a bit of his personality, but why he has to be "wild" (sorry,i didn´t find another word) for that? Or why he has to show himself if he doesn´t want it?

We´ll definitly disagree with lots of things but i don´t see anything wrong with him, he´s just trying to be a good monarch:) may be a bored one but he might change and "open" more;)

It would be rather refreshing if he took up a mistress- sort of a modern day Madame Pompadour or Diane de Poitiers. I, personally, would like to see him out with, or, at the very least, sleeping with a woman in the mold of Princess Michael- beautiful, controversial, fashionable, excessive, and absolutely painfully dramatic. Women like that make for such interesting situations and such interesting history, and it might colorize William's world- which, at present, at best, seems to linger in shades of plaid and khaki.

grecka said:
It would be rather refreshing if he took up a mistress- sort of a modern day Madame Pompadour or Diane de Poitiers.
I think his father tried that, and it is not generally considered as a succesfull experiment.
--
I agree with Beatrixfan that William must be one of the most boring young man in Great-Britain (and Kate one of the most boring girls). They seem like a middle-aged couple who are living on the countryside, devoting all their time on hunting, raising dogs and drinking sherry with their privelliged friends. I really do not see the charisma some people claim he has, and as far as the good looks go: he is not that goodlooking and misses a certain charm.

The interesting part is to see how he will develop further. He seems (I would like to stress the 'seems' part in this sentance) totally out of touch with nomal life and if he stays that way it could be a big problem for the british monarchy. I wonder why the guy has so little public duties, any other european heir (or even their siblings) of the throne had more by that age. It might be refreshing to send him abroad, looking how other monarchies are doing things for example. Queen Beatrix did a kind of internship at Queen Margarethe II court before she became queen and reorganised and professionalized the dutch court completely. It might be refreshing as well to get him awy from the set of priviliged conservative english people he mingles with and get him to meet more interesting people, to broaden his views on the world. Most (all?) heirs/ princes studied/lived abroad for example.

what did WA did when he was williams age, seems a more recent and logical comparison

Marengo said:
--

I wonder why the guy has so little public duties, any other european heir (or even their siblings) of the throne had more by that age. It might be refreshing to send him abroad, looking how other monarchies are doing things for example. Queen Beatrix did a kind of internship at Queen Margarethe II court before she became queen and reorganised and professionalized the dutch court completely. It might be refreshing as well to get him awy from the set of priviliged conservative english people he mingles with and get him to meet more interesting people, to broaden his views on the world. Most (all?) heirs/ princes studied/lived abroad for example.

He studied in Leyden, but still he had an occassional public duty, more the William anyway. If you compare William to Carl-Phillip and Madelaine of Sweden, who are almost the same age but not heirs you will see they participate in much more public functions then William, as does Guillaume of Luxembourg.

Marengo said:
I agree with Beatrixfan that William must be one of the most boring young man in Great-Britain (and Kate one of the most boring girls).
According to you, you must know all the young men and women of Great-Britain then !
Marengo said:
They seem like a middle-aged couple who are living on the countryside, devoting all their time on hunting, raising dogs and drinking sherry with their privelliged friends.
I don’t see how the hunting, rasing dogs and drinking sherry defines that a certain couple is middle – aged. I'm far way from middle age, but if I had the time, would do it too.
Marengo said:
I really do not see the charisma some people claim he has, and as far as the good looks go: he is not that goodlooking and misses a certain charm.
My simple research says that Prince William has TONS of Fans sites, which proves that he is goodloking and definitely has a charm, the oposite which your statement says.
Marengo said:
He seems (I would like to stress the 'seems' part in this sentence) totally out of touch with normal life and if he stays that way it could be a big problem for the British monarchy.
This term “ a normal” life is very indefinite. A normal life to me might not be a normal life to you and vs/vsa. Please explain yourself in here.
Marengo said:
I wonder why the guy has so little public duties, any other European heir (or even their siblings) of the throne had more by that age.
Any European country has its own rules; therefore Britain has the British rules. We don't have to compare Britain with other countries and the other countries with Britain. It is not a definition on what age a monarch should begin his/hers public duties. At his age, he doesn’t have to do any single royal duties yet.
Marengo said:
It might be refreshing to send him abroad, looking how other monarchies are doing things for example. Queen Beatrix did a kind of internship at Queen Margarethe II court before she became queen
h
e doesn’t have to .The Brithish Queen is the most popular of any other queens and kings right now, therefore the best advice comes from her.
Marengo said:
It might be refreshing as well to get him awy from the set of priviliged conservative english people he mingles with and get him to meet more interesting people, to broaden his views on the world. Most (all?) heirs/ princes studied/lived abroad for example.
We don’t know if they are all conservative. The other thing about ” living abroad” to “ broaden his views” is an old statement.To broaden you view , you need a good school ( he has), regular visits to other countries, but not living ( he does), and a good internet ( he does).

Re:

It would be rather refreshing if he took up a mistress- sort of a modern day Madame Pompadour or Diane de Poitiers
Yes! Oh what a brilliant post that was. Can't he follow the lead of Charles II and take several mistresses?
According to you, you must know all the young men and women of Great-Britain then
No, but there's a fair idea of the norm and most have a smattering of fun to them - not cold grey eyes which scream, 'Dull, Dull, Dull'.
My simple research says that Prince William has TONS of Fans sites, which proves that he is goodloking and definitely has a charm, the oposite which your statement says.
No, it proves that he's Di's boy and he's the living incumbent of her popularity. I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder but personally I find him gawky and verging on the ugly. I do hope people find him goodlooking - if he's a pretty boy it'll cover up the zero-character.
We don't have to compare Britain with other countries and the other countries with Britain
Yes we do. Sadly, the days when Britain really ruled the waves and we could afford not to care what other countries were doing are over.
The Brithish Queen is the most popular of any other queens and kings right now, therefore the best advice comes from her.
Is she? I'd argue that point. And I don't think the best advice comes from her at all, as I've previously stated in this thread. Turning to a 79 year old lady for modern day advice isn't the best way for a 23 year old in my eyes.
We don’t know if they are all conservative
Believe me - William's set will 99.9% be true blues. They wouldn't dare be anything else.

I like the way Prince William carries himself and his royal status, for me he is ok and I think the Prince and Princess of Wales would be proud of having a son like him..What I dont like is his serious relationship with Kate. I know William is happy with Kate but I dont like the idea of Kate being the future Queen consort of England..I dont know,but I just dont find her appealing as a future royal,sorry for Kate fans out there,just stating my opinion here.. and I wish William would find an aristocrat or a royal lady that he truly loves and be love by the people..European royal heirs now marry commoners,at first, I find it interesting and really sweet but I kinda used to it now..For a change, I think its really more fascinating when a modern prince will fall in love and marry a royal princess or from nobility..I havent seen that kind of phenomena in this modern time and that really fascinates me more..

Re:

I dont know,but I just dont find her appealing as a future royal,sorry for Kate fans out there,just stating my opinion here

Kate seems to be a bit harsh and cold to me. But I could be wrong having never met the filly. She doesn't seem to have much of a personality either - what a pair they'll be! I'd love William to marry Madeleine of Sweden but I don't think that'll happen.

Beatrix fan, I can't help but wonder why you started this vitriolic anti-william thread: Are you perhaps...secretly in love with william?

to me, this whole effort smacks of “the lady doth protest too much.”

If you love him, just admit it. We will none of us think less of you! Sure you’ll be one of the screaming legion of teenyboppers, but who knows maybe you’re the one who’s love is true.

Just look at Katie Holmes. she had posters of Tom Cruise on her wall and dreamed of marrying him. As she told a journalist recently, “ I’m glad I kept dreaming because dreams do come true.”

I say the same to you, Beatrix fan: “Keep dreaming” and perhaps someday your Prince (William) will come to you.

Re:

Lol - the Lady doesn't protest too much, the Lady being a man.

I started this thread because I was asked my opinion on William so it led to a bigger thread. I don't have any feelings of attraction to William preferring the Europeans. ;)

Let's please keep this thread on topic. Personal issues are best discussed by private message.

Thanks.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

Mmm, the whole comparison with other heirs at the same age than Will is irrelevant since he is not the heir to the throne (and won't be for another 10 years min., - sauf accident). The comparison with the Swede is nil also since contrary to the BRF, the SRF is very reduced. There are no Duke of York, Princess Royal, Princess of Kent, etc. available in Sweden to perform Royal duties, so Victoria's sibling don't have much of a choice, they have to work.
I really think it's unjust to criticize Will for not throwing himself in hospital visits, and inaugurations of factories (how exciting, I already hear BeatrixFan nasty quips :D -just kidding Beatrix, you know I adore you...) at such a young age and with no defined role yet.
About Kate: well, she definitely won't make me buy a Hello with her on the cover... but maybe after the Diana's madness, that's not a bad thing.
Segolen: The Queen is not the most popular Monarch. I would say the most popular Monarch with their people are the Danish or the Swede, something like that. And, as much as I respect and admire her, she is from another area.

Re:

(how exciting, I already hear BeatrixFan nasty quips :D -just kidding Beatrix, you know I adore you...)

I don't see that as particularly exciting but it's part of the job for them so I'd prefer to see him doing things like that!

(I adore you too ;) )

Idriel said:
Mmm, the whole comparison with other heirs at the same age than Will is irrelevant since he is not the heir to the throne (and won't be for another 10 years min., - sauf accident).

That's a good point, Idriel. William is not heir to the throne; its a different position and responsibility. I don't think Haakon did all that much when his grandfather King Olav of Norway was alive.

Quite frankly, with all the comparison of William to Diana, right now I see more of Charles in William than his mother. Not all the qualities are necessarily good; his diffidence, his lack of direction, are all traits that have plagued Charles over the years. Maybe it comes with the role of heir (or heir of the heir) and not having a defined role.

I think though they'll both do fine; I just wish they weren't so wishy-washy. That's probably my own prejudices showing through :p Indecisive people drive me crazy!:rolleyes:

He is an heir, he just isn't a crownprince (yet). I am not suggesting that he will participate full-time in the royal busines anyway, but just a bit more then he is going now, like for example Madelaine and Carl-Philip of Sweden or the spanish infantas at his age. It is not true that the swedish have to participate because the royal family is so small, the king of Sweden has 4 sisters who could help as well, so my comparisation remains fair.

Furthermore many people conveniantly pointed out, in the thread about the lack of participation of the Queen of GB in european royal events, that Britain and the Commonwealth is much bigger then for example Norway, so the royals will have more things to do anyway (maybe they can invest more time in Scotland and Wales).

BeatrixFan said:
No, but there's a fair idea of the norm and most have a smattering of fun to them - not cold grey eyes which scream, 'Dull, Dull, Dull'.
Hmmm….William goes to clubs, loves sports, travels. Is this not normal to you? If it is not, you might have quiet strange ideas of the “norm” then.
BeatrixFan said:
I do hope people find him good looking- if he's a pretty boy it'll cover up the zero-character.
if you hope that Wills is good looking, why are you trying to prove the opposite then? It locks a lot of sense to me.
BeatrixFan said:
Yes we do. Sadly, the days when
BeatrixFan said:
Britain really ruled the waves and we could afford not to care what other countries were doing are over.
Seeing what the other countries do, it doesn’t mean copying them. Who says, what the other countries do is the RIGHT thing to do.
BeatrixFan said:
Is she? I'd argue that point. And I don't think the best advice comes from her at all, as I've previously stated in this thread. Turning to a 79 year old lady for modern day advice isn't the best way for a 23 year old in my eyes.
The British Queen is in perfect health and state of mind, God Bless Her. I travel a lot and talk to many people from different nationalities, and when I ask them to name me some of the world’ monarchs they know, everyone starts with the Queen of Britain…..go figure.

The other thing, you said that she can’t give him “a modern day advice”. As I remember, The Queen had nothing against of William to live together with Kate , even unmarried…..tell me this is not a modern day advice.
BeatrixFan said:
Believe me - William's set will 99.9% be true blues. They wouldn't dare be anything else.
How can I believe you, when you make your statement without anything to prove it with..

Im usually with you on things Beatrixfan but here im so so. I do think Willam is overhyped and I feel sorry for him because of that. People refuse to let Diana go and move on so they look to William to replace her. He knows that and understands the pressure. He does not want to start building his public image with everyone comparing him to Diana. He has shown a balance of both his parents in the past but that was only for a few moments. He is starting slow to show his intrests. He is smart. People are comparing him to Charles know. They are considering him more like charles now which is great. Dont get me wrong I love chuck and I think he is a great prince of wales and will be a great king but he is much eaisier to dismiss than Diana. People dont pay attention to his charity work. If william can come off more like his father than people wont expect him to be like his mother and then he will build his public image that is uniquly william and neither Diana or Charles. William is trying to lessen the burden of his mother on him and he is doing a great job of that. Hopefully camilla will take away the burden of consort to the heir so williams wife wont have to be compared to diana. He has done nothing special and there is only two reasons to like him; his looks and parents. In time though when he finds himself and the hype over him dies down he will comfortably build up his image as a Prince of the Realm.

There was a comment that Charles had tried what I suggested- taking up a truly interesting, Madame Pompadour-like mistress. That wasn't the case: Charles took up a non-fashionable mistress who was, let's say, not exactly stunning and over the top. I'm saying he should take up a sort of Diane de Poitiers-style mistress- a woman with natural instincts for power and drama and scandal. That Isabella Gough-Calthorpe (spelt wrong probably) girl looks suitable. She's certainly got the looks for the part. Now, all she needs is to wear only black and white, advocate the sale of the Shetland Islands in order to pay for a palace in the style of Chenonceau, and go fox hunting in defiance of British law. That love for those over-the-top, very haughty, very resourceful past royal women is part of the reason why I absolutely adore Princess Michael. She is Diane de Poitiers and and Madame Pompadour reincarnated. Now, if only Isabella could step into that role. That would make for truly interesting news!

I've read everyone's posts and basically have come to the conclusion this is a no-win situation. I am neither pro-William, nor anti-William. What I see is a young man who hasn't lived long enough to have anything to point to and say conclusively "He is ______" or "He is ________. What is he? 23 or 24? The 20's are a time for finding one's way and figuring things out for yourself. There is nothing that proves a meaningful case for or against William as man or prince either way. We don't know what he's going to be like when he finally comes into his own. I'm 40-something and still trying to figure things out.

We are stirring a pot that has about an inch of water in it right now. And, with all due respect, hats off to Shakespeare when he wrote: "Everyone can master a grief but he that has it".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom