Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a reminder to check links before posting images of a specific dress suggestion for Meghan so that an entire page of various dresses isn't posted and that the link actually works properly. Thanks!

The catalogue of Meringues on the Ralph & Russo page leave me distinctly queasy.. I hope the Lady has better taste and judgement...

But I can see Meghan wearing a gown like this if for anything to acknowledge this is her second marriage. She can wear a veil if she wants, but IMO a veil should be for a first marriage and a veil with a cape should not be worn together. Serena Williams did a cape and a veil for her wedding:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ser...Q7AkINA&biw=1920&bih=974#imgrc=voOATW-ZjZ7dyM:
For me it's one or the other.

I don't like that combination either. To me, with a long embellished cape, she could go without a veil and just have her hair in an updo, to enhance the tiara, especially since it appears that most of the ones available to her, are (to me at least) somewhat lacking in height.

https://78.media.tumblr.com/7075c7588f43aa5385747cc14d7f24ac/tumblr_p5d8ccmAqN1ssubogo1_1280.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa! Those Ralph and Russo gowns look are either OTT super-duper "Princess" gowns that look like someone threw the contents of a bead, feather and sequins boxes all over them or someone has grabbed various rolls of curtain sheers material and had a play resulting in everyone playing the thong or commando game! :eek:

In short, they are the gown equivalence of a humungous red velvet cupcake with a towering swirl of bilious neon-pink icing that leads to the inevitable :sick: !

I don't think Meghan let alone the BRF are ready for this:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...bUT8MwG3L-ug7QehxQN6vNkNYPQhG4UmsEs8gUPQiLYgB

I hope she has chosen a designer she really loves regardless of nationality. This is Meghan and Harry's wedding not a free advert for British fashion. She has the rest of her life to do the show pony bit.

Last edited:
The catalogue of Meringues on the Ralph & Russo page leave me distinctly queasy.. I hope the Lady has better taste and judgement...

You and me both...I can't imagine she would go with that based on her stated preferred style of wedding dress.

LaRae

I also think those Ralph and Russo gowns are way to extreme for Meghan to wear. She's wise enough to know that this is a solemn ceremony of marriage and not a strut down a cakewalk looking like Disney threw up all over her.

She's also astute enough to want to be able to wear the dress and not have the dress wearing her. She's not on show. She's not out to advertise fashion designers so there'll be no shock and awe as she emerges from the car to head into the chapel.

Whoa! Those Ralph and Russo gowns look are either OTT super-duper "Princess" gowns that look like someone threw the contents of a bead, feather and sequins boxes all over them or someone has grabbed various rolls of curtain sheers material and had a play resulting in everyone playing the thong or commando game! :eek:

In short, they are the gown equivalence of a humungous red velvet cupcake with a towering swirl of bilious neon-pink icing that leads to the inevitable :sick: !

I don't think Meghan let alone the BRF are ready for this:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...bUT8MwG3L-ug7QehxQN6vNkNYPQhG4UmsEs8gUPQiLYgB

I hope she has chosen a designer she really loves regardless of nationality. This is Meghan and Harry's wedding not a free advert for British fashion. She has the rest of her life to do the show pony bit.

Some of those things are just obscene.

LaRae

Her stated style of wedding dress was before she was becoming Princess Harry Wales.

She may opt for biggest monstrosity that good taste will allow

:previous: In that case, she could borrow Diana's dress and honor Harry's mother by wearing it to get married in.

Ooops... I think my reality check just bounced. :lol:

And she may not wear a monstrosity. In fact it's pretty well certain that she will not. And the Press/media do not know the designer, price, style or design. That's blindingly obvious.

Ralph and Russo might make the dress but that doesn’t mean it will be anything like those ones. She can design it herself and they make it to her orders

:previous: Oh boy am I glad you said that royal rob. I was beginning to think I'd lost my last brain cell by suggesting that the designer of the gown will actually be Meghan, herself. :D

I feel much, much better now. :flowers:

Meghan has designed casual line for Reitmans, far from having any skill for designing a wedding dress. :ermm:

That said, she likely has very clear ideas what she wants in a gown. She just needs to find the right designer to make those ideas come to life. And the RIGHT designer is key. You don't pick a designer whose normal style is the complete opposite of what you want, and hope they can execute what you are asking for.

Yes, if she goes with RR they will design something with what she has in mind (not something from the catalog). But hopefully her style is something similar to what they do.

All royal brides have custom gowns. But you can tell Eli Saab, or Valentino. Because even if they are made specifically for the bride, there is a signature vibe to everything they design.

:previous: In that case, she could borrow Diana's dress and honor Harry's mother by wearing it to get married in.

Ooops... I think my reality check just bounced. :lol:

???

Ralph and Russo might make the dress but that doesn’t mean it will be anything like those ones. She can design it herself and they make it to her orders

Wouldn't make sense to go to a designer and have them design something totally different than their style of dress. Like (at least years ago) if you wanted lace you went to Oldfield etc.

LaRae

:previous: Indeed. If I was going to have a lace gown (and had to use a British designer), Oldfield would be my top choice. Well if I could afford it. Although Philipa Lepley has some beautiful lace work.

I always had the feeling Kate went with McQueen as she wanted to be seen as 'fashion forward' by picking a more modern designer. And had McQueen design something that wasn't their usual style, and it showed. Oldfield in her mind may have been too associated with the older generation like Diana.

I hope, and I feel she does, Meghan has enough confidence to go with the designer that best works with her vision, and not about the name. Not that I think she will go with a total unknown (too big of an event to take a huge risk) but that she chooses the designer for their style and not for the 'it' factor of their name.

I say the best dresses posted have been by Elie Saab

I will admit that I have not read every post in this thread, but I was wondering if Meghan might opt for a coat over a simpler, sophisticated, sleeveless gown much like Mathilde and Martha Louise did for their weddings?
Mathilde
https://www.google.com/search?q=pri...AhVIZawKHX2PAh0Q9QEIKTAA#imgrc=ii-7wGa_gPHWoM:

Martha Louise

http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2012/05/wedding-wednesday-princess-martha.html

I'm sorry but this is one of the most unattractive royal wedding dresses I've seen. The only coat dresses I think have worked were Camilla's and Letizia's.

Last edited:
"I loved making the dress, I loved adapting my ideas to suit the person and the occasion, and we put our hearts into it. "I respect the intimate nature of that lovely project and I respect the friendships that were forged during it... an instinctive, intelligent, imaginative young woman's wish for a beautiful wedding dress — or any kind of dress — is the most natural thing in the world. I was honored to pick up the challenge and always will be."

I think that statement from Sarah Burton shows you just what goes into making a royal wedding dress. Sarah Burton’s own mother didn’t know she was the designer. That’s how tight the security was.

Whoever Meghan has picked I hope it’s collaborative effort and truly reflects what Meghan wants.

Elie Saab is an extraordinary designer. His gown for HGD Stephanie is one if not my favorite royal wedding dress. Unfortunately a Lebanese designer has little chance. If she didn't go for British, American is likely the only safe option.

:previous: Indeed. If I was going to have a lace gown (and had to use a British designer), Oldfield would be my top choice. Well if I could afford it. Although Philipa Lepley has some beautiful lace work.

I always had the feeling Kate went with McQueen as she wanted to be seen as 'fashion forward' by picking a more modern designer. And had McQueen design something that wasn't their usual style, and it showed. Oldfield in her mind may have been too associated with the older generation like Diana.

I hope, and I feel she does, Meghan has enough confidence to go with the designer that best works with her vision, and not about the name. Not that I think she will go with a total unknown (too big of an event to take a huge risk) but that she chooses the designer for their style and not for the 'it' factor of their name.

You may not have liked Kate's gown, but it suited her and I think she was happy with it which is all that really matters. She and Sarah Burton worked together to make the dress Kate wanted. McQueen may have been the label but I think it was a Middleton/Burton dress.

I hope Meghan has a designer she can collaborate with and she loves whatever gown she wears.

Oh come on; if someone doesn't like Kate's gown it's their prerogative. If all we are going to do is hide behind "the bride was happy" then why give an opinion at all on what any wedding dress looks like whether it is a stunner like Stephanie 's or a monstrosity like Mabel's.

Oh come on; if someone doesn't like Kate's gown it's their prerogative. If all we are going to do is hide behind "the bride was happy" then why give an opinion at all on what any wedding dress looks like whether it is a stunner like Stephanie 's or a monstrosity like Mabel's.

I think Countessmeout can defend her own opinions.

I also said Kate's dress suited her-in my opinion. I thought it was lovely. My opinion again.

I didn't say anyone else had to like it, but I somehow think the bride's opinion is the most important one for her wedding gown.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to think she'd design the dress herself, but I do think that regardless of the designer she'll be heavily involved in what comes out. She's a woman with a firm sense of what her style is who has experience within the fashion industry.

Exactly. Why do we have fashion threads at all that matters is the person wearing it likes it :eek:

I find it humorous that anyone else's dress can be criticized, heck no one blinks when you call Mabel's a monstrosity. But the second someone doesn't praise Kate, the claws come out.

I never said anyone had to agree. But Burton dress was ill fitted. And the lace didn't look couture, the kind you'd expect on a gown of that magnitude.

If Kate wanted that gown great. But there were British designers who specialize in lace gowns, who would have been able to do a better job IMO. If Kate really wanted Sarah Burton, she should have chosen a Sarah Burton style. Which she didn't. Pick a design, and choose the designer who can execute your vision. Don't choose the name.

I’m not sure Meghan is ‘a woman with a firm sense of what her style is’. As least not as a royal.

Is her style what she posted on Instagram constantly or is her style Rachel Zain from suits

So far Meghan’s pre wedding style has taken a lot of royal watchers by surprise and not necessarily in a good way.

We always knew Kate’s dress was going have a touch of Sloane to it. But I can’t think of what Meghan’s signature style is.

Last edited:
Those of us who have followed Meghan know that her style is a mixture of California casual, mixed with classic business casual whenever she does press. For the most part her style is very down to earth. Her royal style is to be determined. I'm interested in seeing what she wears on Monday's church service.

It may be that Meghan is the kind of modern woman who has given very little thought to what kind of wedding gown she might want. She’s been busy building a complex and interesting career, not imagining the day when a Prince Charming would stroll into her life.

Any woman would have a general idea of what she didn’t want, (no bows, no sequins, no strapless!), but a woman lucky enough to have top designers and a big budget to work with will likely be pleased to have someone to help her realize a suitable vision.

And as for why the designer should be British- Meghan will be working to endear herself to her new ‘people’, and wearing an Italian or French or American creation just won’t do that. She will undoubtedly have a beautiful gown which pleases most people.

I’m not sure Meghan is ‘a woman with a firm sense of what her style is’. As least not as a royal.

Is her style what she posted on Instagram constantly or is her style Rachel Zain from suits

So far Meghan’s pre wedding style has taken a lot of royal watchers by surprise and not necessarily in a good way.

Have to agree with AlowVera, Meghan actually has a very definitive sense of style. She knows what she likes and has articulated it in a ton of pre-Harry interviews. Some royal watchers may be disappointed because they were hoping for something different but they shouldn't be surprised. The consistency in her outfits at engagements is proof of that. The R&R engagement photo dress was the exception so there's always a chance the wedding dress may go against Meghan's stated style. Frankly I hope not. The wedding dress is probably not the time to go rogue.

I seem to recall seeing a couple of Lepley dresses I liked...but haven't paid too much attention to anything with lace..although I said weeks ago she may surprise everyone and come out in a lot of lace. It would be cool to see her use Oldfield too...if she wants lace.

Based on her stated aesthetic you would *expect* to see a very sleek elegant structured gown (ala some of the Pronovias) created by whatever Brit designer is good with that style.

The one thing I don't expect is cupcake or princess-y.

I have a hard time imagining that she doesn't grasp the need for the dress to meet the venue and the occasion ...she comes across as very savvy about this sort of thing.

LaRae (still hoping/expecting to be wow'd!)

I think I asked this before but did she wear a dress to her first wedding. I know it was on a beach so sometimes they just wear a bathing suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom