Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soapstar

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
Hermosa Beach
Country
United States
Meghan's Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

You may use this thread to discuss Meghan's future role in the British Royal Family. If you wish to talk about her career as an actress, please take it to the Family and Background thread.

I hope she keeps supporting the causes she allready supported and add things she can relate to together with those of her husband and her new family.

Are there still patronages of the Duke of Edingburgh that are looking for a new patron?

I think she will join in on some of Harry's and keep her UN work too. Plus most likely take on some new ones as well.

LaRae

I think she will join in on some of Harry's and keep her UN work too. Plus most likely take on some new ones as well.

LaRae

I really hope she keeps up her UN work. I am looking foward to seeing the causes that are close to her heart

I can see her as ambassador of some British-American organizations.

As has already been said, I think she can slip into the Foundation work rather nicely, keep her UN duties and also perhaps have some work with the Duchess of Cornwall for women's rights as well. :flowers:

First, can I just say I actually smiled when I saw this sub-forum change from Harry and William to Harry and Meghan?

I really hope she continues her work on women's rights and her work with the UN. It is something I wished Kate did more work on, but hasn't really thus far.

As mentioned above, I am hopeful she will continue her work with UN & and get involved with British Women's Rights initiatives.
I also would love to see her associate herself with youth organizations! I feel she has that engaging & energetic nature that would bode very well with something like that. (Unfortunately, not many in the RBF do... Actually, this could be a lovely project together with Harry!)

Hasn't youth been one of the main themes of William and Catherine? And of the Royal Foundation? So, yes, of course she can join that strand but her focus on women's rights clearly has an added value to me. So, if that is what we are looking for, I am not sure that I would pick 'youth' as an additional focus area.

She’s going to have to take on bread and butter British charities to cut her teeth and ‘prove’ herself to her new country.

Most royal work isn’t very glamorous.

Hasn't youth been one of the main themes of William and Catherine? And of the Royal Foundation? So, yes, of course she can join that strand but her focus on women's rights clearly has an added value to me. So, if that is what we are looking for, I am not sure that I would pick 'youth' as an additional focus area.

Yes, 'young people' is one of the several areas that the Royal Foundation aims to cover(together with conservation & armed forces). However, I do strongly feel that we are lacking proper and dedicated youth focus across the board. One that has its emphasis on youth education, youth health(from mental health initiatives to healthy lunch programs) and even recreation. I do agree that her previous work makes her a very valuable and authentic proponent for women's issues - and it will definitely be her main focus from the get-go. However, I am hopeful they could take on something like that together - maybe once they have had kids.

She’s going to have to take on bread and butter British charities to cut her teeth and ‘prove’ herself to her new country.

Most royal work isn’t very glamorous.

From what we've heard, the young royals (Cambridges and Harry) are very involved in the background as well as lend their platform in front of the cameras. Meghan seems to be the same type even before meeting Harry. She went and spent time shadowing UN before getting involved with them. I think this group is doing very good at not just showing up and shake hands, but getting hands on.

:previous: Good points Jacqui. Yes I agree that Meghan will be a good fit for the Royal Foundation's work. The causes that she's been drawn to in the past, should mesh well with the ones that are currently being highlighted by the Cambridges and Harry.

I do believe that Meghan will be given the opportunity by the BRF to acclimate to a new country and culture in addition to adjusting to royal life in the same way that Camilla and Kate were.

Hopefully in the past year, Charles has anticipated adding another adult to the Wales' roster of working royals and has taken the opportunity to make sure that funds are available.

She will have to find her place , visible and active enough to avoid to be seen as a freeloader, and discreet enough to avoid to upstage the other members of the BRF.
Tricky situation . Hope she'll get some help and tips from the other royal women.

Meghan's most successful work as an actress was as part of an ensemble, a team. She should be able to be part of the KP and BRF teams.

Last edited:
I suspect we'll see Meghan jump into royal duties fairly quickly. The palace was very wise to let Kate have time to ease into the role, given that she had no experience dealing with the public beyond being swarmed by paparazzi. Meghan doesn't need as much hand-holding and quite likely doesn't want that, given the amount of experience she has giving speeches, being photographed by the press and going out on humanitarian visits for World Vision.

My gut says we'll have to wait a little bit to know for sure which causes she's going to make her own in this role, though. I'm guessing there will first be a phase of her tagging along to all of Harry's events, but even after she starts doing things solo the first order of business will be getting her to as many different corners of the nation as possible so that she can get to know it first hand. There are always ribbon cuttings, anniversaries, etc. that can help KP send her all over the realm. A specific charitable agenda will take a little more planning and discussion, especially if they want to craft a focus that ties into the other work being done by William, Kate and Harry's trust.

I suspect we'll see Meghan jump into royal duties fairly quickly. The palace was very wise to let Kate have time to ease into the role, given that she had no experience dealing with the public beyond being swarmed by paparazzi. Meghan doesn't need as much hand-holding and quite likely doesn't want that, given the amount of experience she has giving speeches, being photographed by the press and going out on humanitarian visits for World Vision.

My gut says we'll have to wait a little bit to know for sure which causes she's going to make her own in this role, though. I'm guessing there will first be a phase of her tagging along to all of Harry's events, but even after she starts doing things solo the first order of business will be getting her to as many different corners of the nation as possible so that she can get to know it first hand. There are always ribbon cuttings, anniversaries, etc. that can help KP send her all over the realm. A specific charitable agenda will take a little more planning and discussion, especially if they want to craft a focus that ties into the other work being done by William, Kate and Harry's trust.

The only complicating factor is that Meghan presumably wants to get pregnant as soon as possible given her age. If she is expecting in her first year as an HRH, it is unlikely she will be able to jump into royal duties fairly quickly.

Besides, right now, there are still lots of full-time working royals available, including Anne, Andrew, Edward/Sophie and the Queen's Kent and Gloucester cousins. Even with Prince Philip retiring and the Queen slowing down, there won't be that many official royal duties that will require Meghan to pitch in. Besides, after Kate is done having her third child, who I assume will be her last, I expect the Cambridges to step up their royal engagements, which would make Harry and Meghan even more superfluous.

i wonder who will be assigned as meghan's PA and team. maybe one of kate's aides? (Sophie Agnew, Natasha Archer, Laura Baker?)

I agree with you, Mbruno. I think their first priority after the wedding will be to settle in and start their family. They will be given the space to do this much like William and Kate were. I would expect that eventually (sooner rather than later), there will come an announcement of maybe 4-5 charities and organizations that Meghan has chosen to focus on.

The family though will probably be the first priority.

One cause I hope Meghan will involve herself in is menstrual health and reproductive health of women and girls. There is still so much work to do. I see no reason why they'll take a couple of years to build a family first before really involving themselves. They don't strike me as the type of people who would want that not to mention it's completely unnecessary. People work and raise families all the damn time.

Yes, 'young people' is one of the several areas that the Royal Foundation aims to cover(together with conservation & armed forces). However, I do strongly feel that we are lacking proper and dedicated youth focus across the board. One that has its emphasis on youth education, youth health(from mental health initiatives to healthy lunch programs) and even recreation. I do agree that her previous work makes her a very valuable and authentic proponent for women's issues - and it will definitely be her main focus from the get-go. However, I am hopeful they could take on something like that together - maybe once they have had kids.

Based on the interview, it sounds as if 'young people' not just in the UK but all over the commonwealth might become a shared focus of Harry and Meghan (as that was what they talked about on their second date) - so your wish might come true :flowers:

No one could do more for British 'youth' than the Prince of Wales whose Prince's Trust has helped well over half a million young people into work, education or training. There's also the Duke of Edinburgh's scheme which has impacted young people across the world for decades. Not to mention the work that the Royal Foundation has done so far.

Let's not forget what other members of the RF do just because Meghan is new and shiny.

Just saw the interview so acting is clearly out forever now.

Last edited:

I think so too. Meghan is great.

Pretty much every royal bride takes several months to announce their patronages. If I’m not mistaken, it’s usually around 7 months to a year before patronages are announced. Usually it’s about 4-5 patronages at the start which gradually increases. They do a lot of research and private visits. I can see her continuing the work she’s doing but she’s not just going to start as a royal patron and doing engagements like she’s been a royal for years. She’s new and has a lot to get used to and learn. I don’t think it’s good to have too high of expectations. That’s what happened for some with the Duchess of Cambridge. No need for a repeat. Not only that but other members of the royal family are involved in the areas previously mentioned.

Harry and Meghan talked a lot about being a part of the team that is the royal family and the institution. That takes a little time. Beyond all of that, they want to have children and it’s seems relatively soon.

No one could do more for British 'youth' than the Prince of Wales whose Prince's Trust has helped well over half a million young people into work, education or training. There's also the Duke of Edinburgh's scheme which has impacted young people across the world for decades. Not to mention the work that the Royal Foundation has done so far.

Let's not forget what other members of the RF do just because Meghan is new and shiny.

It will be interesting to see how the role of The Prince's Trust will evolve when Charles becomes King one day. The work of the Duke of Edinburgh's Scheme has been taken on by the Earl (and Countess) of Wessex, so that at least is secured for the future - and reaches young people all over the world (but at least in developing countries mostly those that already have lots of opportunities - doing IBs etc.).

I don't think people expect Meghan to cover all. The main discussion was actually how she could contribute to all the good work that is already done by the BRF. What area might fit her profile and is in need of (even) more attention of the BRF?

With HM clearly increasingly restricting her schedule both in terms of number of engagements and their geographical scope, Charles & Camilla are going to be increasingly on duties representing the Queen. Charles is, however, nearly 70 himself. The next generation are going to be called upon to step up to the plate and as the BRF has evolved into a slick operation, I think that the new couple will be put to work in areas where they can make most impact.

The interview hinted at a prominent role in the Commonwealth and I have a hunch that, geographically, Harry & Meghan are likely to be very active in Africa and North America/the Caribbean, with William & Kate having a more prominent association with the Asia-Pacific region.

In addition to their current interests, including the Invicta Games (him) and UN activities (her) their focus on young people, will I think continue, perhaps now with an added emphasis on issues related to 'minorities'.

Almost certainly the BRF will be called upon to conduct a major global charm offensive in the "Brexit" aftermath, both patching up damaged relationships within Europe and courting potential trading partners elsewhere.

I was afraid that Meghan Markle could try to fly solo or keep a private life outside the RF, maybe even have her own private projects and initiatives. However, after that interview, I was reassured that she seems to understand she will be working for the Firm from now on and will have to tow the line as the Palace and Clarence House tell her. I imagine that must have been clearly explained to her in a rather blunt way, even by Harry himself.

I was afraid that Meghan Markle could try to fly solo or keep a private life outside the RF, maybe even have her own private projects and initiatives. However, after that interview, I was reassured that she seems to understand she will be working for the Firm from now on and will have to tow the line as the Palace and Clarence House tell her. I imagine that must have been clearly explained to her in a rather blunt way, even by Harry himself.

I had no doubts that Meghan went into this knowing her life would change and she'd be joining a team. I never thought she'd want to continue acting or do her own thing.

In the interview Harry said they needed to have frank conversations about how being with him would impact her life.

She will have to find her place , visible and active enough to avoid to be seen as a freeloader, and discreet enough to avoid to upstage the other members of the BRF.
Tricky situation . Hope she'll get some help and tips from the other royal women.

Would Princess Anne be one of the royal women to give royal advice to Meghan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom