Meghan Markle: Family and Background - November 2017-May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one wondering what gem came out of Prince Phillip’s mouth when he found out her mother was black?

What does Prince Philip has to to with fact that her morther is black?
No one chooses his/her race.

Am I the only one wondering what gem came out of Prince Phillip’s mouth when he found out her mother was black?

I've been trying to tell myself that he's evolved as a person and is less of a racist...

Doria could take him anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Lady Nimue posted we are proud of her here in L.A.;)

But what fascinates me personally about this young lady is where she has come from versus where she is now.

She did/does not have the advantage of a tight, structured, supportive and emotionally nurturing family background coccoon like Kate Middleton.

She does not have the ancient aristocratic lineage of a Stephanie de Lannoy(knights of the Golden Fleece, soldiers, diplomats) which would have guaranteed her enthusiastic entree into virtually any Royal or noble family in Europe.

And yet in a few months she is going to be a peer of these young women...a Royal Highness with all that comes with it.

At the very least she possesses inner qualities of discipline, determination and intelligence that must be formidable.

Last edited:
I'm so glad they found this because I know a certain group said that MM lied about this story in her UN speech, but I vaguely remember this story when it happened and I knew it was true! MM has always been smart and engaged!

As Lady Nimue posted we are proud of her here in L.A.;)

But what fascinates me personally about this young lady is where she has come from versus where she is now.

She did/does not have the advantage of a tight, structured, supportive and emotionally nurturing family background coccoon like Kate Middleton.

She does not have the ancient aristocratic lineage of a Stephanie de Lannoy(knights of the Golden Fleece, soldiers, diplomats) which would have guaranteed her enthusiastic entree into virtually any Royal or noble family in Europe.

And yet in a few months she is going to be a peer of these young women...a Royal Highness with all that comes with it.

At the very least she must have inner qualities of discipline, determination and intelligence that must be formidable.

I think she did get a very nurturing, supportive and emotionally nurturing family coccoon - from her MOTHER's side of the family. There is a reason why that side of the fam has been extremely tight lipped and hasn't done a thing to embarrass her - unlike her father's side.

I hope we get to see some of her Aunts at the wedding too. I can't wait for the hats!!!

:previous: I agree with you.

But Doria -God bless her, is no Carole Middleton. Markle's entire family did not close ranks around her during her courtship of Harry. With the exception of the louche Maison de Bang Bang Uncle Gary all of the Middletons kept their mouths shut and did not do anything to embarrass her.

My point is that Kate had a mother AND a father very much in the picture to support her, not to mention Pippa and James.

Meghan seems to have been left pretty much own her own during the courtship with nobody to help her other than Harry and Doria.

Last edited:
Lol I think the same! I am actually shock that the Queen allow the wedding for this same reason,
Though we leave in a different era and thanks god for that! and I think they will have gorgeous kids. Wonder how Philip and the Queen will react if the baby is more African American look?

I think the suggestion that the Queen or the Duke of Edinburgh harbour any genuine racist sentiments is a bit over the line. I very much doubt either of them gave a second thought to her colour.

Lol I think the same! I am actually shock that the Queen allow the wedding for this same reason,
Though we leave in a different era and thanks god for that! and I think they will have gorgeous kids. Wonder how Philip and the Queen will react if the baby is more African American look?

I think HM is much more practical,highly evolved and humane than she is given credit for. I cannot see her denying her grandson the right to marry an intelligent, educated, accomplished woman that he is deeply in love with because of the amount of melatonin she has in her skin.

As for the racial/ethnic appearances of the Harry/Meghan children they will be about 1/4 African American. No one who doesn't know that their mother is mixed will be able to tell them apart from their cousins...I can virtually guarantee this.:ermm:

Not that I am sure why it matters if if they DO look different. They will be beautiful.

Well genetics are quite unpredictable so who knows what their children will look like but regardless, I doubt it is or will be some big issue for the Queen or Philip.

:previous: I agree with you.

Meghan seems to have been left pretty much own her own during the courtship with nobody to help her other than Harry and Doria.

I honestly don't see how you can possibly know this. Doria's side of the family has been very quiet and don't talk to the press.

So how would we know one way or the other?

The press has TRIED to get them to talk and no one is talking. That sounds more like loyalty and support to me.

:previous:

Thank goodness for differences of opinion, no? It makes things so much more interesting here at TRF!;)

Where Meghan 'comes from' is two doting parents, loving extended family (with some winceable relations but who doesn't have that?) and an excellent education. From all the evidence she comes from a 'tight, structured, supportive and emotionally nurturing family background coccoon'. If money is a criteria, Meghan was raised in wealth. Her mother lives in an area referred to as an alternative Beverly Hills-type neighborhood. Plus Meghan attended an excellent university. Meghan had all the advantages so not sure what you mean?

At the very least she possesses inner qualities of discipline, determination and intelligence that must be formidable.

Qualities she received from her mother, I am sure, and even her father. In two of her most famous stories her father figures prominently: it was her father who told her to 'draw her own box' and told her to write a letter.

Meghan is the quintessential American. It is because she is American that she can walk into a royal family with head unbowed. She doesn't need 'the ancient aristocratic lineage of a Stephanie de Lannoy (knights of the Golden Fleece, soldiers, diplomats)'. Meghan's grit and far-seeing comes in equal measure from ease of background and steely ancestral survivors (equivalent to Stephanie de Lannoy's militaristic, power and money ambitious ancestors who were able to be granted titles by kings).

Meghan is the quintessential American. It is because she is American that she can walk into a royal family with head unbowed. She doesn't need 'the ancient aristocratic lineage of a Stephanie de Lannoy (knights of the Golden Fleece, soldiers, diplomats)'. Meghan's grit and far-seeing comes in equal measure from ease of background and steely ancestral survivors (equivalent to Stephanie de Lannoy's militaristic, power and money ambitious ancestors who were able to be granted titles by kings).

This is the part I don't get. Why wouldn't an Australian (f.i., Mary) or Argentinian (f.i., Máxima) or someone from France (f.i., Marie) or Panama (f.i., Angela) or from any other country than the US not be able to do exactly the same?

Americans are normal people just like the rest of us...

Last edited:
:previous: Sure, not sure what your issue is and all the :whistling: is about. :huh:

Sorry, was a little too enthusiastic with the smilies - probably should have used to flowers. Will edit my post and remove all. My apologies.

Glad that you agree that being American is not what makes the difference - in why she can walk into a royal family with her head unbowed . My issue was that you claimed that it did.

Sorry, was a little too enthusiastic with the smilies - probably should have used to flowers. Will edit my post and remove all. My apologies.

Glad that you agree that being American is not what makes the difference - in why she can walk into a royal family with her head unbowed . My issue was that you claimed that it did.

Methinks you are looking for controversy. Maybe? :ermm: I stand by what I said: it is her being an American that gives her that moxie to walk into the BRF with head unbowed (though I suspect she is tons nervous for sure, no question). In saying that, no comment is being made or intimated regarding anyone else from anyplace else (and suggesting such has nothing to do with my post). Just saying. I claimed nothing on the order of what you are suggesting.

The key thing is that Meghan acts naturally, to be herself and the person harry fell in love with. It doesn't matter what her lineage is or background, more so how she she interacts with people and present herself in a way that people can warm to, appreciate and understand.

Of-course, we might notice subtle changes in Meghan as time goes on since things like protocol etc will be in the back of her mind when she is on public engagements, even her accent may take on some British traits as she spend more time here, but whether an aristocrat or not, the prospect of marrying into a royal family must be the same for everyone I would have thought!

The key thing is that Meghan acts naturally, to be herself and the person harry fell in love with. It doesn't matter what her lineage is or background, more so how she she interacts with people and present herself in a way that people can warm to, appreciate and understand.

Of-course, we might notice subtle changes in Meghan as time goes on since things like protocol etc will be in the back of her mind when she is on public engagements, even her accent may take on some British traits as she spend more time here, but whether an aristocrat or not, the prospect of marrying into a royal family must be the same for everyone I would have thought!

I agree :flowers: and as much as Meghan is a professional, stage-fright is legend among professional actors. She can present well, but to assume she is not nervous is a mistake. She may well not be (as far as I know) but I would assume she is. It has to be daunting. This is an audience she has never had to play to, after all.

In fact, I see nervous mannerisms from her. People are claiming she is touching Harry to comfort him. Maybe, but I think it's one of her comfort mechanisms. Touching him comforts her. In these early outings he is her grounding in the 'performance'. She also seeks physical proximity with him. Twice I have seen him step back (British, and likely reflexive) but she maintains the proximity.

Oh Meghan, hang in there! :flowers:

It's an interesting thought, because inspire of Meghan being used to appearing in public, being in front of the madras etc etc, I think public appearances as a royal and meeting the general public, dignitaries, other royals, etc etc is a different experience altogether - it's a different setting and environment so there may still be nerves on her part.

It's like any "new job" - even if you know the job itself inside out, going to work for a new form or "employer" - so to speak - is still daunting for everyone.

Methinks you are looking for controversy. Maybe? :ermm: I stand by what I said: it is her being an American that gives her that moxie to walk into the BRF with head unbowed (though I suspect she is tons nervous for sure, no question). In saying that, no comment is being made or intimated regarding anyone else from anyplace else (and suggesting such has nothing to do with my post). Just saying. I claimed nothing on the order of what you are suggesting.

Thanks for your clarification. No, not looking for controversy. I sensed some American superialism which you most likely didn't intend - but that's the way it came across to me.

I don't agree with your assessment that it is her being American but her character that makes the difference. Of course, someone's environment influences growing up but I don't see a reason why Meghan would not have walked in in the same way had she instead grown up in Canada or Germany (for example), but feel free to disagree.

If there are specific aspects of American culture that help (and I imagine there are but other cultures would probably help in different ways with about the same result) I'd be interested to know (and no, not saying this to be argumentative - I like different perspectives!).

Where Meghan 'comes from' is two doting parents, loving extended family (with some winceable relations but who doesn't have that?) and an excellent education. From all the evidence she comes from a 'tight, structured, supportive and emotionally nurturing family background coccoon'. If money is a criteria, Meghan was raised in wealth. Her mother lives in an area referred to as an alternative Beverly Hills-type neighborhood. Plus Meghan attended an excellent university. Meghan had all the advantages so not sure what you mean?

Qualities she received from her mother, I am sure, and even her father. In two of her most famous stories her father figures prominently: it was her father who told her to 'draw her own box' and told her to write a letter.

I agree with you, but that was kind of my point. She has achieved everything on her own.

Anyway I am going to be bowing out of these MM/Harry threads, probably until the wedding.

I can almost tell time by how long it is before one of their overly eager thin skinned fans takes umbrage at something that is posted, even if it's meant to be complimentary.

It never fails, and I have grown weary of stepping on eggshells in a thread dedicated to a couple that I was never more than mildly interested in to begin with. :sad::

BTW: Meghan and her mother have not always "lived in wealth". She lived in the Crenshaw district of Baldwin Hills for years...an area immortalized in the gritty "Menace 2 Society" film for anyone who is curious. I lived in Windsor Hills between 2001 and 2004 and it is indeed amazing.

My reference to a structured and nurturing cocoon had nothing to do with material wealth btw...zilch.

Last edited:
Thanks for your clarification. No, not looking for controversy. I sensed some American superialism which you most likely didn't intend - but that's the way it came across to me.

I don't agree with your assessment that it is her being American but her character that makes the difference. Of course, someone's environment influences growing up but I don't see a reason why Meghan would not have walked in in the same way had she instead grown up in Canada or Germany (for example), but feel free to disagree.

If there are specific aspects of American culture that help (and I imagine there are but other cultures would probably help in different ways with about the same result) I'd be interested to know (and no, not saying this to be argumentative - I like different perspectives!).

Completely not a topic I am interested in and way beyond the scope of my initial statements. :ermm: Just 'reading in' far too much and any discussion is just going too far afield (from my perspective). Thanks for the invite, but no.

Not to drag this out - but the way I took Lady Nimue's post about being American is that America is (supposedly) founded on being a meritocracy - where what you've been able to achieve is what is important and that everyone has a chance to achieve - even if you came from "nothing". We don't have an (official) class system here, so we kinda feel like we "bow to no one", but definitely have a huge respect for the traditions of other countries.

Self determination, pulling oneself up by the bootstraps, being a melting pot, being a meritocracy are supposed to be things we Americans think about ourselves, so a lot of that means we tend to hold our heads up high even if we aren't born of aristocracy, etc..

That's what I thought Lady Nimue was getting at.

I have to agree and disagree with this assessment. She Is American and is not currently educated on all what is expected of her as a future Member of the BRF. She seems naturally warm, selfless, caring and engaging young woman very committed to making a difference. That is not an exclusive American trate and in fact it’s becoming a rare trate to find in the younger generations in America and other countries.

If we were to attribute American qualities to what she brings at this point, I would say it’s a naive enthusiasm since she is not yet educated as to what is expected of her by the Firm, the British nobility and the general public. I have no doubt she will come through it beautifully, but there will be mistakes and missteps in the process and a fair amount of criticism due to being American. It’s to be expected.

Last edited:

I agree, I think Meghan herself-her personal core being, rather than being an American, is key here.
I don't doubt this has been stressful for her and she has a learning curve. But she's off to a good start.

Last edited:
It might be helpful to take a look at another recent report that has delved back into Meghan's growing up years to reveal truths about who she is as a person. The report is by CNN whose reporter and film crew traveled to L.A. and spoke to teachers at Meghan's high school, and then to Chicago, where they spoke to one of Meghan's former theater professors at Northwestern. The comments from these individuals offer even more confirmation of what I felt I'd learned about Meghan already from her interviews, her Instagram, her work ethic, her acts of kindness toward others, and also from what M&H revealed to us in their recent joint interview. Here's the CNN report:
Meghan said that encouraging words from a h.s. teacher, Maria Pollia, are what stayed with her, and what guided her in the daunting volunteer work she committed to doing at the age of 13 in L.A.'s skid row district! I never cease to be amazed by what I'm continuing to learn about Ms. Meghan Markle. It would maybe be a good idea for people to listen or re-listen to the compilation of Meghan's interviews, promotional spots, and her U.N. speech that are posted on Youtube. Personally, I believed Meghan when she related the story about the soap commercial. Although it's a lovely bonus to actually see and hear the young 11-year-old Meghan re-enacting what happened for Linda Ellerbee and the Nick crew. I have realized that part of Meghan's success has to do with her experience of having her voice heard at a young age, and knowing that she was able to make a difference by speaking out. Adults listened to her and she helped change the gender-biased script of a television commercial. That was obviously an important moment in her formative years.

It was both of Meghan's parents who nurtured and guided her, but there was also surely some innate sensitivity to the plight of others that she possessed at a young age. She also saw her parents giving back to others in soup kitchens and via charitable clothing donation drives in their community. Meghan has written about these experiences of growing up and the example that her parents set for her. We don't have all the details of what other relatives may have contributed, who were important to her growing up, but I think there's plenty of evidence to show that Meghan grew up in a loving, structured and nurturing environment. She's also spoken about what she learned growing up everyday as a young teen after school on the set of a popular television series (where her Dad worked as the lighting director).

The words of the teacher, Ms. Pollia, that stayed with Meghan: "Life is about putting the needs of others above your own fears." That is not an easy concept to understand, much less for anyone to take on as a motto for living. It behooves us to also remember that in their joint interview, Harry & Meghan said that beyond their initial mutual attraction, they recognized that they were both committed to helping others less fortunate. And that's the initial common interest they bonded over and it's what triggered them to set up more dates to continue getting to know each other.

What Meghan's theater professor at Northwestern had to say about her closely matches the key praise extended by her h.s. teachers: "She isn't just beautiful, smart and an actor, she has this depth. That's what Prince Harry saw in her." ... "My first reaction was, Prince Harry is so fortunate to have found Meghan."

And Prince Harry confirmed during their engagement interview: "I was beautifully surprised when I walked into that room and saw her..., I thought I'm really going to have to up my game..."

Last edited:
There is one big difference that stands out for me with the fact that Meghan is an American born, bred and buttered rather than growing up in the aristocratic circles of high British society. It was somewhat self evident to me as I watched her in the crowd at Nottingham. Looking at the faces of the people waiting to meet and greet her, I got the sudden insight that no matter who the person was, there was something about Meghan that they could resonate with.

Harry has the unique ability, in a crowd, to make the person he's talking to feel like he's Harry's new best friend. Meghan, although not quite as apparent, has that same quality. Perhaps, in this case, Meghan's own diversity is the connection. She's one of them. She's everyday woman that has found her own path in life through hard work, education and having the guts to stand up for what she believes in. She doesn't fall back on a pedigree but stands on her own accomplishments. She has that insight to know that its the differences that make up different people that make them unique.

William and Kate are the embodiment of a future King and Queen and I think they fit that mold very nicely. Harry and Meghan, on the other hand, seem to generate the feeling of being the People's couple which, IMO, just emphasizes how wonderfully they both will shine as ambassadors for the Crown and the support system for the monarchs that they will serve. As odd as it may sound, when I look at these four people, I definitely see the best of Charles and Diana in them. I see the bonds of a close knit family such as the Middletons are and I see how even with a divorce, two parents continued to love, support and guide their child to stand on her own two feet and succeed.
How can any children they have not be blessed?

When you have a soup with all these ingredients mixed in, you end up having a good "stick to your ribs" kind of soup that nourishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom