Meghan Markle: Family and Background - November 2017-May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even in cultures where it’s not common, it still happens on occasion. Look at the BRF itself; Queen Victoria, Albert Victor, Queen Mary, Edward VIII, and Mary, Princess Royal all went by names other than their first name.

It also used to be quite common in Ireland. I imagine that she'll be called "Rachel Meg" in the marriage service, but otherwise seh' will drop the first name.
actually when I got married, as I usually used my second name, the clergyman said that he would just use our 2 names that we were usually called by....

Interesting video of Meghan speaking out on racism from 2012.

And just want to jump in here on the Rachel/Meghan discussion. I have always gone by my middle name in my personal life but chose to use my given first name in the workplace. This confused some people so I just started telling them my middle name was my "bar name". And that always seemed to settle it!

Can't wait for Christmas pics of these two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grilling Never Looked So Hot with Meghan Markle This is a video she did for men’s Heath. May have to turn add blockers off.

https://www.menshealth.com/video/grilling-never-looked-so-hot-with-meghan-markle

It must have been a hot day; it's certainly a sizzling hot shoot! ;)

Yum, the burger looks so delicious. Knowing Meghan's focus on eating healthy, surely she was grilling turkey burgers. :chef:

The above video promo is most likely dated circa late 2013 or early 2014, based on the fact that there's another related video done for Men's Health at the same time in which Meghan discusses her Suits character Rachel's sexy scene in the file room with the Mike character at the end of season 3:

https://www.menshealth.com/video/meghan-markles-secret-to-spicy-burgers-and-office-romance

:D So as it turns out, Meghan was grilling beef burgers (this is for a 'men's' magazine after all ?), but as she said, 'the best cuts.' It all sounds so delicious. Meghan is sexy and I don't see anything wrong with any of the promos. It was definitely part of her promoting her character on Suits and taking advantage of an opportunity to begin building her own brand. In 2014, Meghan segued into developing The Tig lifestyle site, which was very professional, classy and upscale. FWIW, she's done a lot of sexy modeling shoots, including for Reitmans, Wella haircare products, other magazines (including another men's magazine, Sharp) etc. A lot of Meghan's previous side work with modeling and promotion is posted on Youtube.

And there are loads of fashion gallery pictures. Meghan is a very fashion savvy, photogenic, and stylish young lady. What I am most impressed by are Meghan's smarts, her business sense, her hard work ethic, and the fact she's fearlessly feminine, sexy as well as an outspoken advocate for feminism. She said in the Larry King interview that "being feminine and a feminist can coexist."

So what that Meghan did a sexy promo for Men's Health circa 2013-2014. She was on an independent career woman trajectory and she had no idea she would ever meet, fall in love with and marry the most high profile prince in the world which would bring such OTT attention to everything she's ever done. At the same time, she definitely has nothing to be ashamed of ever having done to build her career, and nothing to regret. She's sexy and edgy with class, IMO. Hot tamales, Prince Harry is a lucky fella.

Interestingly enough, Meghan herself has never felt like she's hot stuff. She's appreciative of her success, and she takes pride in what she's accomplished and in who she is, but she doesn't have any pretensions. Her feet are firmly planted on the ground. Around 2014 or so during an interview with Sharp magazine, Meghan was quoted as saying:

"In middle school and high school, there was this huge span of my life where I was just the girl with the crazy curly hair, a big gap between my teeth, with skinny legs."

Last edited:
Meghan has been going by her middle name her entire life. I don't see that changing. On the wedding day we will hear "Rachel Meghan" but that will be it. KP announced her as Meghan so that is how she will be addressed.

I believe it's been indicated by Meghan herself that her first name Rachel was used for a time when she was a child in school. I'm not sure when she began using Meghan only, possibly in high school. She was called Meghan by her parents, I think. Although Meghan's mother Doria has always affectionately addressed her as 'Flower.'

It happens sometimes that a child's first name is used in school, while they're called by a middle name or a nickname at home. I have a nephew who doesn't generally use his first name, as he was always called by his middle name among family and friends. However, his first name was used in school.

Meanwhile, I've been meaning to post here in reference to comments by @Zonk in another thread about Meghan's mother's family being from the South. Actually Meghan's mother Doria was born in Cleveland, OH (but as Meghan indicates in the video linked above by @ACO) her mother's family moved to L.A. shortly after her mother's birth. So Doria grew up in L.A., and she eventually attended a desegregated high school.

Doria's mother, Jeanette Arnold Johnson Ragland was born in Cleveland. And Jeanette's mother, Netty, (Meghan's great-grandmother) also grew up in Cleveland, although sources have not provided much information about Netty's family background. It's possible that Netty or her parents migrated to Ohio from the South. The information and photos sold to The Daily Mail by Meghan's uncle Joseph Johnson do not provide a maiden name for Netty, nor any detailed information. It is noted that Netty worked as a lift operator in a hotel and she married a bellboy named James Arnold, later giving birth to Jeanette. Meghan's grandmother Jeanette was married twice. Alvin Ragland, Jeanette's second husband, is the father of Doria. Interestingly, similar to Meghan, Doria has two older half siblings, although they are not as distant in age to her as are Meghan's two older half siblings.

In their initial 'genealogy' reporting, The Daily Fail reported inaccurately that Alvin Ragland's second wife, Ava Burrow, is Meghan's grandmother. That's not true. More information continues to be revealed. According to a 11/27/17 report in The Times (UK), Alvin and Ava had a child together who is about two years younger than Meghan, and thus is another uncle (Doria's younger half brother). His name is Alvin Joffrey Ragland, and he's a graphic designer, who is said to be close to Doria and Meghan, so perhaps he will be invited to the wedding.

Here's an interesting clip of Meghan advocating for diversity and for inclusiveness for women. This is the kind of outspokenness that she will seemingly be limited in expressing as a member of the British royal family:

Last edited:
In the video of her as an 11 year old fighting for a commercial she was labeled as "Meghan Markle" so I think she has been called that all her life. He legal name is Rachel so likely that was just there officially and was used in that sense. My cousin goes by "Maggie" and has all her life but her name is Evelyn Margaret which confuses everyone who meets her. Haha. Despite that KP announced her as Meghan so that will be what they acknowledge her as.

Thanks for the video. It is always interesting going back and listening to her views. It is hard for Meghan because despite the fact she will not speak out like this as a royal and will remain neutral, her opinions are known and out on record. That is the difference between her and the rest already.

Meghan has always used Meghan rather than Rachel. Jadon Knauf confirmed this when asked. The only time we’ve seen Rachel used is in some old school year books. But I know a lot of schools use the official name on roster regardless of what one goes by whereas some schools allow preferred name.

I believe it's been indicated by Meghan herself that her first name Rachel was used for a time when she was a child in school. I'm not sure when she began using Meghan only, possibly in high school. She was called Meghan by her parents, I think. Although Meghan's mother Doria has always affectionately addressed her as 'Flower.'

It happens sometimes that a child's first name is used in school, while they're called by a middle name or a nickname at home. I have a nephew who doesn't generally use his first name, as he was always called by his middle name among family and friends. However, his first name was used in school.
Do you have a reference for Meghan saying that she went by Rachel at school (as in that she was called Rachel by her teachers and classmates)? Would be interested to see/read it as that would change the narrative that she always was called Meghan. Thanks in advance!

In the video of her as an 11 year old fighting for a commercial she was labeled as "Meghan Markle" so I think she has been called that all her life. He legal name is Rachel so likely that was just there officially and was used in that sense. My cousin goes by "Maggie" and has all her life but her name is Evelyn Margaret which confuses everyone who meets her. Haha. Despite that KP announced her as Meghan so that will be what they acknowledge her as.
Her legal name has always been Rachel Meghan (Markle - as it seems like she didn't change her surname upon marriage) :flowers:

Her legal name has always been Rachel Meghan (Markle - as it seems like she didn't change her surname upon marriage) :flowers:

This is so insignificant, but she did change her last to Engelson upon marriage. She had to ask the judge to restore her maiden name as part of her divorce proceedings based on the paper work we saw.

This is so insignificant, but she did change her last to Engelson upon marriage. She had to ask the judge to restore her maiden name as part of her divorce proceedings based on the paper work we saw.

Thanks for the information. I had no idea and hadn't read about it so far. Personally, I am glad she did even though unfortunately the marriage didn't last.

Meghan has always used Meghan rather than Rachel. Jadon Knauf confirmed this when asked. The only time we’ve seen Rachel used is in some old school year books. But I know a lot of schools use the official name on roster regardless of what one goes by whereas some schools allow preferred name.

Yes. Here is Meghan explaining it herself in a video.

I have only seen her labeled as "Rachel" in an old yearbook picture but that is not surprising. I see that happen all the time.

I googled famous people who use their second names; here are a few examples.
Sir Thomas Sean Connery
Sir James Paul McCartney
Prime Minister Joseph Philippe Pierre Trudeau
William Bradley Pitt
Christopher Ashton Kutcher
Laura Jeanne Reese Witherspoon
Hannah Dakota Fanning
Robyn Rihanna Fenty
Henry Warren Beatty
Walter Bruce Willis

I use my second name too. Started using it when I was eleven.
So it is not an uncommon thing to do.

The difference being that Meghan used her second name her whole life. Nonetheless, people going by a different name than their first legal name is quite common indeed - whether from birth or chosen at a later point in life.

Do you have a reference for Meghan saying that she went by Rachel at school (as in that she was called Rachel by her teachers and classmates)? Would be interested to see/read it as that would change the narrative that she always was called Meghan. Thanks in advance!

Meghan said this in a video I saw on Youtube. I believe she mentioned it in one of the Suits promo videos, so I wouldn't be able to locate it right off the bat. But she did explain about it being funny that Rachel was actually her first name and the name of her Suits character. I believe she said something about always being called Meghan at home, but that she tended to be called Rachel in school sometimes since it is her first name. ETA: Oh I see that @ACO found a video of Meghan speaking about her first name and the confusion on legal documents. I've seen that one. It could be the one I remember, or there's possibly another one too where she makes reference to her first name. ? I wonder why Meghan didn't simply change her name to Meghan Rachel Markle. :D

@ACO, that's so true about the rareness of someone marrying into the British royal family and already having so much known about them and publicly available, especially in terms of her strong opinions on a variety of topics.

People using their middle names or even going by entirely different names than any of their given names is certainly not unusual at all. For example, C.Z. Guest (called "Sissy by her younger brother who could not pronounce her first name; eventually 'Sissy' was shortened to "C.Z.") -- I have two sisters who used their middle names growing up (one of them changed her middle name to her first name, and the other always used her first name in school but was affectionately called by a derivation of her middle name as a child). I also have two aunts who both used their middle names as adults, eventually making their middle names officially their first names. And of course, the nephew I mentioned earlier who has always been called his middle name by family but uses his first name in school and on official documents.

Last edited:
Not that uncommon to use your middle name, even if not in acting. Some people don't like their first name. And if your first name doesn't have a nickname that you like the sound of or a natural nickname (like William/Bill), you may opt for your middle. Or if you are named for your dad, using the middle name to distinguish between yourselves. Many different reasons.

Celebrities often do it, because their middle name might sound better for their acting career. Many actors pick different names all together. Its their stage name.

My mother goes by a name totally unrelated to her first name or middle. No one, including my mother, remembers where the nickname came from. And very few people realize (she uses it in work and private) its not her legal name.

I am actually surprised no one has discussed this.

So apparently, in the radio interviews that Prince Harry has done today...he talked about Christmas and how it was great have Meghan there with the family, and how the royals were like the family "she never had."

As soon as I heard that, I was like...darn it Harry...now that sister is going to pop up and yep, here she is

Meghan Markle's sister hits back at Prince Harry's claim | Daily Mail Online

-----------

Now I will say, if I was Meghan's family I too would have an issue with this particularly her mother, who is she is fairly close to. But I don't think Harry was talking about her mother. I think he was talking about everyone else. Now I don't think she is close with her half siblings but I did think she was kind of close to a niece.

Anyway, Samantha has taken issue with his comment.

However, Miss Markle's half-sister Samantha has lashed out at the 33-year-old royal's comments and said loved ones 'always' supported her growing up but she was 'too busy' for them.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-hits-Prince-Harrys-claim.html#ixzz52WXQQfyQ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Thoughts?

Honestly, I can't see many of the Markle family getting an invite to the wedding...I think it will be more of Doria's family.

Yes I thought he put his foot in his mouth. I thought of Meghan’s mum and I wouldn’t have liked it. If I was Meghan I’d be annoyed but we’ll never know.

Last edited:
Samantha is going to be fun to watch and hear her thoughts as the years go on; not that I will actually believe everything she has to say since she is estranged from Meghan and is writing a book about her. That's all I have to say.

Samantha has a history of attacking her half-sibling, then strategically withdrawing and lavishly praising her, then attacking again. Now she's writing a book she hopes will sell.

I think that the Markles have been disfunctiontial for quite a number of years and it's notable IMO that the only photos seen in the media, probably sold to the tabloids, have featured Meghan as a teenager.

The large family gatherings to which Samantha refers wouldn't have occurred recently.

The only photos seen from the Ragland side, equally ancient, were sold by a married in uncle who later divorced.

Harry didn't attack Meghan's parents, however, as I can attest, being an only child and celebrating Xmas with a much loved parent is very different to celebrating Christmas with a man who has a huge extended family. There were small children running around, probably a lot of fun with a large number of relatives in a roomy country house. Big difference, and I think Harry was referring to that.

Oh Harry, welcome to the world of in-law interpersonal relationships. ;) It can be a tricky road to navigate and most of us do not have to deal with this on the world's stage. That being said if this is truly an issue for Meghan or either of her parents, then it should be discussed privately between the adults involved IMO. I do understand that this could cause hurt feelings within the Markle family, but I would hope that they'd reach out to their sister privately. Based upon Samantha's earlier statements to the media and on her social media, unfortunately I'm inclined to find her a bit on the publicity seeking side.

Zonk, I just posted about this. In the wrong thread, I am certain. :bang:

Yes I thought he put his foot in his mouth. I thought of Meghan’s mum and I wouldn’t have liked it. If I was Meghan I’d be annoyed but we’ll never know.

It might have been something so innocent up in Norfolk --Meghan showing up for tea with 40 other family members, everyone friendly, and maybe she said in a joking way "Gosh! This is the family I never had!" and laughs all round and Harry remembered it, but it didn't translate well.

It might have been something so innocent up in Norfolk --Meghan showing up for tea with 40 other family members, everyone friendly, and maybe she said in a joking way "Gosh! This is the family I never had!" and laughs all round and Harry remembered it, but it didn't translate well.

In his excitement he was just a guy talking and yes, it didn’t come out right and I’m sure he’s kicking himself in the ..,. He won’t do that again!

I don’t think Harry intended to insult anyone in Meghan’s family, especially Doria, whom he seems to be very fond of. However, we have to keep in mind that Meghan doesn’t seem to be very close to her half siblings and didn’t grow up in a huge family environment. Harry was talking about the fact that every family has complex traditions and his family is so big when he made that comment, so I took it as he meant she’s never had a family like this. Which is true. However, I could see why people would take it a wrong way. As with most guys, he clearly doesn’t need any help in the foot in the mouth department. :lol:

As for Samantha, she needs to give it up. She’s plugging her non existing book every chance she gets. With sister like this, who needs enemies. I think at this point, we just have to understand that she’ll pop up in every event offering her comments on how close they are, even though they haven’t been in contact for almost 10 years. It’s quite sad how a grown woman choose to profit off of a half sister that is almost 20 years her junior. But such as life. It’s no wonder they are estranged. Meghan is better off without this opportunist who will sell her out to the first bidder.

Samantha has a history of attacking her half-sibling, then strategically withdrawing and lavishly praising her, then attacking again. Now she's writing a book she hopes will sell.

I think that the Markles have been disfunctiontial for quite a number of years and it's notable IMO that the only photos seen in the media, probably sold to the tabloids, have featured Meghan as a teenager.

The large family gatherings to which Samantha refers wouldn't have occurred recently.

The only photos seen from the Ragland side, equally ancient, were sold by a married in uncle who later divorced.

Harry didn't attack Meghan's parents, however, as I can attest, being an only child and celebrating Xmas with a much loved parent is very different to celebrating Christmas with a man who has a huge extended family. There were small children running around, probably a lot of fun with a large number of relatives in a large country house. Big difference, and I think Harry was referring to that.

Yes, I have noticed that a majority if not all of the pictures of Meghan as a child and teenager have come from the Markle side (with the odd Ragland uncle thrown in for good measure). At one point she did have a somewhat relationship with them, but if you look at one of the videos that was in the article of her so called best friend, Meghan states that she is not close to her father. I think that is right out of high school before college graduation. So if she is 36, I don't think she has had much interaction with that side of the family at least for five to ten years.

I don't even think they were invited to her first wedding, cause let's face it...if they were they would have sold the pics. I think the wedding pics were sold by that so called best friend.

Yes Zonk I thought mmm don’t think he should have said that.
I have read how her father was still very much part of her life after he left her mother so could have upset a few people.

I don't think Harry meant to be malicious or unthinking. However, from his point of view, his family is close (i.e. his grandparents, father and step mother, brother's family, aunts/uncles and cousins), and hers is not.

But yeah, he shouldn't have spoken out of turn. Harry, more than anyone, knows that words can be construed. I don't think he will do that again as it relates to her family.

Megan's family relationships may be even more complex than they seem to be from the outside looking in. He may have been speaking very literally. I seem to recall he spoke of Catherine as the "sister he never had" or something like that. In any case, he may regret using such loaded language.

Wrong thing for Harry to say, definitely.

Meghan does have extended family that shared some family photos and said very nice things about her--her mother's family. There are photos of her in her aunt's wedding, posing with other family members, etc. There was a photo of her older sister holding Meghan, and the sister was a teen or adult when Meghan was born. I don't think they even lived together.

I don't know that Meghan has close family around her same age, with whom she has close relationships with. It's hard to say. Meghan may have expressed pleasure with having little kids to goof off with. Who knows?

Harry should apologize to Meghan's mother and probably Meghan. Doria has not given any interviews that I know of, whereas the sister seems to want to give interviews to anyone who will listen.

In-laws are in-laws, no matter how rich/prominent/whatever. There is a reason people complain about their in-laws, even the well-intentioned ones. The royal family is large and sprawling, which is quite a difference from what Meghan may be used to. A good mother-in-law will not take too much offense over some stray comment her son-in-law may make. I'm still annoyed with something my MIL did a few months ago.

Harry, welcome to the world of the other 99%!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom