The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-26-2017, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Meghan Markle: Family and Background

Welcome to Meghan Markle's Family and Background Thread

This thread is for discussing Meghan's family, as well as her background - acting career, education, etc.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:19 PM
Majesty

Meghan’s mom was photographed in LA

Meghan Markle's mother Doria Ragland gets security detail | Daily Mail Online

Old 11-28-2017, 12:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Her mother Doria Ragland, has a master's degree in social work and works as a psychotherapist and yoga instructor.

Her father Thomas W. Markle is an Emmy Award-winning lighting director. He use to take her to work on the set of Married with Children. He is a descendant of King John as are 42 U.S. Presidents out of 44. The 2 who are not are Martin Van Buren and Donald Trump. He is also distantly related to Prince Harry through a common ancestor of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:03 AM
Serene Highness

Inside Edition went to her mother’s house for their reporting. Private security is posted outside of her home and is dealing with media by giving them the official statement released from Meghan’s parents on KP letterhead.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:09 PM
Nobility

Meghan's mama has a security detail outside her house in Los Angeles.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:01 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
Meghan's mama has a security detail outside her house in Los Angeles.
Why? I think hardly anyone would disturb her. That would only make sense if Meghan was around and she is not.

Did Kate's parents also got security between the engagement and the wedding?
Old 11-29-2017, 06:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post
Why? I think hardly anyone would disturb her. That would only make sense if Meghan was around and she is not.

Several media outlets have camped out outside of her house. At one point, there was a police car parked there due to concerns over them camping out. Also, she's been followed by photographers when she went back to work on Tuesday.

We have to keep in mind that this isn't just British media, but also US media. US does have more relaxed laws about what they can and can't publish.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Several media outlets have camped out outside of her house. At one point, there was a police car parked there due to concerns over them camping out. Also, she's been followed by photographers when she went back to work on Tuesday.

We have to keep in mind that this isn't just British media, but also US media. US does have more relaxed laws about what they can and can't publish.
Thanks for the information. I am quite sure they wouldn't do it if it wasn't necessary. I guess Meghan's mother would prefer for the press to leaver her alone but if they don't but follow and disturb her, it makes sense that she gets some form of protection. It is a pity that it is needed.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Thanks for the information. I am quite sure they wouldn't do it if it wasn't necessary. I guess Meghan's mother would prefer for the press to leaver her alone but if they don't but follow and disturb her, it makes sense that she gets some form of protection. It is a pity that it is needed.
Since the security was there on Monday, I'm thinking they anticipated this and got ahead of it because of what happened last November. In Harry's statement, one of the things he specifically mentioned was how Doria had to struggle to get to and from her car to her front door.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
It’d be private security though not RPO. So that means Meghan or Harry or both are paying out of pocket and I’m sad to see she needs it but I believe the Middleton’s also has I problem with security. I don’t know if they paid for any private security for them.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:24 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
This kind of security is definitely out of pocket. We just don't know whose pockets its coming from. Definitely not the Metropolitan Police that provides for the RPOs with taxpayer funds.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:30 PM
Majesty

My guess is Meghan and/or Harry are paying for her mom's PPO.

LaRae
Old 11-29-2017, 10:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post

Of course the press will be annoying Doria. It's what they do. I'm glad she has security.

I'm pretty sure the police were at Kate's parents' house the day they announced William and Kate's engagement.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Kate's Parents aren't African Americans living in a very highly racially divided Country at the moment. Meghan's Mother is & sadly, this news doesn't surprise me.
Kate’s parents had plenty of issues with security. They sued the press a couple times over the years for issues with trepassing and intrusion. The Middletons experienced very harsh treatment for years do to their social class and the high interest of the press(Kate in particular). It has nothing to do with her race but with the interest in her daughter. Yes, the US has issues with races but I don’t think it needs to be overexaggerated. No one is showing up at Doria’s door because she is African American. I think this is probably an area where Kate can definitely relate and support Meghan over others including Harry especially considering how long and brutal the coverage of Kate was.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:09 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Catherine View Post
Kate’s parents had plenty of issues with security. They sued the press a couple times over the years for issues with trepassing and intrusion. The Middletons experienced very harsh treatment for years do to their social class and the high interest of the press(Kate in particular). It has nothing to do with her race but with the interest in her daughter. Yes, the US has issues with races but I don’t think it needs to be overexaggerated. No one is showing up at Doria’s door because she is African American. I think this is probably an area where Kate can definitely relate and support Meghan over others including Harry especially considering how long and brutal the coverage of Kate was.
Not only Kate. I bet Will and Kate and Harry could pull an all nighter sitting around and telling Meghan the horror stories of press harassment and intrusion. It is no wonder that these four people will strive so much to keep their private lives private and Harry and Meghan's courtship is a prime example. It was so far under the radar that news reports was few and far between.

Sadly thought, the race issue is not going to go away and even the mainstream media isn't doing it any good. Happened to glance at Fox News shortly after the engagement announcement and it sickened me to see that they actually had a panel of "experts" talking of the implications of Meghan being biracial and marrying into the BRF. I shut it off. We have a Nutmeg and a Ginger and that's the kind of spice I like. (Thanks Maia for coming up with that one).
Old 11-29-2017, 11:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Not only Kate. I bet Will and Kate and Harry could pull an all nighter sitting around and telling Meghan the horror stories of press harassment and intrusion. It is no wonder that these four people will strive so much to keep their private lives private and Harry and Meghan's courtship is a prime example. It was so far under the radar that news reports was few and far between.

Sadly thought, the race issue is not going to go away and even the mainstream media isn't doing it any good. Happened to glance at Fox News shortly after the engagement announcement and it sickened me to see that they actually had a panel of "experts" talking of the implications of Meghan being biracial and marrying into the BRF. I shut it off. We have a Nutmeg and a Ginger and that's the kind of spice I like. (Thanks Maia for coming up with that one).
I agree about the horror stories but I mean specifically as a royal girlfriend and fiancée. That’s not something William and Harry who have lived with RPO can have fully experienced. It’s a very different thing.

I don’t particularly can for the media, particularly American media, is making such a huge deal of her race. It’s not her defining characteristic. She’s more than that.

I’ve always been curious about security and who does the threat assessments.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I don’t particularly can for the media, particularly American media, is making such a huge deal of her race. It’s not her defining characteristic. She’s more than that.
I don't think it's particularly the American media. The British media has been focused on it a lot. BBC even had a segment with three commentators talking about how this changes racial issues in Britain. It seems that her being biracial has received more focus as her being different than prior royal spouse than the fact that she's an American divorcee that will be HRH.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I don't think it's particularly the American media. The British media has been focused on it a lot. BBC even had a segment with three commentators talking about how this changes racial issues in Britain. It seems that her being biracial has received more focus as her being different than prior royal spouse than the fact that she's an American divorcee that will be HRH.
I was wondering whether the British media was talking about it, but I couldn’t speak on the issue because I’m not British and have no idea. How much would you say her race is being talked about?
Old 11-29-2017, 11:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I was wondering whether the British media was talking about it, but I couldn’t speak on the issue because I’m not British and have no idea. How much would you say her race is being talked about?
I would say in every commentator narrative I've seen, there is always a mention of her being biracial. I'm obviously not in Britain either, but I've been streaming a couple of channels online and also watching clips that gets put up on Youtube. No doubt the reporters are really excited about it and less grumpy than they usually are.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:45 PM
Heir Apparent

In any discussion with friends/colleagues, Meghan's bi-racial identity is never mentioned. Major point of interest is that she is American, and (in our case) a Los Angeles native, a 'local girl'.