Meghan Markle: Family and Background - November 2017-May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Harry, welcome to the world of in-law interpersonal relationships. ;) It can be a tricky road to navigate and most of us do not have to deal with this on the world's stage. That being said if this is truly an issue for Meghan or either of her parents, then it should be discussed privately between the adults involved IMO. I do understand that this could cause hurt feelings within the Markle family, but I would hope that they'd reach out to their sister privately. Based upon Samantha's earlier statements to the media and on her social media, unfortunately I'm inclined to find her a bit on the publicity seeking side.
Eh, I don’t think reaching out to Samantha would help based on her actions since this relationship came to light. It’s best not to feed the troll. It’ll give her some more material to work with.

We are hearing nothing new from Samantha Grant. All I can say is that they got the term "blabbermouth" right. She opens the mouth and its anyone's guess what's going to come out of it next. She also is trying overly hard to pass the blame on Meghan for "not having enough time" for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
You’re right jacqui24 about Samantha. She’s looking to make a bank deposit anyway she can. Pathetic.

Honestly, Meghan clearly has people, both family and friends, that she is close to and makes time for. So this whole she got too busy thing just doesn’t pass the smell test. And based on the things we found out from the couple in the engagement interview, there was clearly a lot of things we didn’t know. I’m sure they have a close circle of family and friends that they’ve shared it with. The fact that none of that got leaked shows their inner circle is extremely loyal as well. And who would blame her for not making time for people that see her only as a dollar sign?

:previous: I was thinking the same thing. She obviously has time for her mother and to go on vacation when she wasn't working.

We will never know the real reason that Meghan and Samantha are not close. But a 20 year age gap is nothing to sneeze at.

I am 11 years older than my younger sister, and when she discusses her childhood...I am hearing stories that I have never heard. When I went to college at 18, she was a second grader! We became closer as we got older but really, she was around but not really around if you know what I mean.

Whatever Samantha's agenda is, and its appears to be money driven, this last bit nothwitstanding (I would want to defend my family as well), I can't see her getting an invite to the nuptials.

And those headlines will be off the chain!

Honestly, Meghan clearly has people, both family and friends, that she is close to and makes time for. So this whole she got too busy thing just doesn’t pass the smell test. And who would blame her for not making time for people that see her only as a dollar sign?

Right you are. I would say many of us can relate to having friends that we consider family. I know I do—wei share in each other’s ups and downs and all the joy and sorrow mixed in. Meghan has her circle.

What I found amusing but on the sad side is she actually stated out loud and its been printed that Meghan's nephew will "crash the wedding" if he isn't invited to the ceremony. Yeps. I can just see that now. Good luck with that one. He won't be able to get anywhere close to the gate to crash it let alone the wedding itself. :whistling:

Sounds like a bold ultimatum kind of thing like threatening to hold one's breath unless they get what they want. Only person it ever affects is the one holding his breath. Very pathetic.

:previous: I was thinking the same thing. She obviously has time for her mother and to go on vacation when she wasn't working.

We will never know the real reason that Meghan and Samantha are not close. But a 20 year age gap is nothing to sneeze at.

I am 11 years older than my younger sister, and when she discusses her childhood...I am hearing stories that I have never heard. When I went to college at 18, she was a second grader! We became closer as we got older but really, she was around but not really around if you know what I mean.

Whatever Samantha's agenda is, and its appears to be money driven, this last bit nothwitstanding (I would want to defend my family as well), I can't see her getting an invite to the nuptials.

And those headlines will be off the chain!

Completely understand as I have a cousin that’s a lot older than me. I was the annoying little cousin when I was little and she was in her late teens. However, as I grew up and got into the real world, we became closer as we shared work and life experiences. And if I remember correctly, Meghan’s parents separated when she was two and divorced when she was six and she lived with her mother when she was younger until Doria took a job as flight attendant. So unless Samantha moved in with Doria after the separation, I doubt she raised Meghan as she has claimed.

What I found amusing but on the sad side is she actually stated out loud and its been printed that Meghan's nephew will "crash the wedding" if he isn't invited to the ceremony. Yeps. I can just see that now. Good luck with that one. He won't be able to get anywhere close to the gate to crash it let alone the wedding itself. :whistling:

Sounds like a bold ultimatum kind of thing like threatening to hold one's breath unless they get what they want. Only person it ever affects is the one holding his breath. Very pathetic.
I read the original quote. Sounds like he was just being stupid and thought it was funny. Security would tackle him down in a second without even bothering to find out who he is.

I read the original quote. Sounds like he was just being stupid and thought it was funny. Security would tackle him down in a second without even bothering to find out who he is.

As if he could enter the country or leave the country for that matter. All is takes is a call to Homeland Security and someone is on the no fly list.

Not say its going to happen but not saying it couldn't happen.:whistling:

Meghan is their cash cow.

This brings up the nature vs nurture debate, doesn’t it? How is it that Meghan turned out so differently from her half siblings.

Here's the context of Harry's words, as he's interviewed by the radio hosts after the airing of his September 2017 interview with Obama, which was fabulous btw:
It was the near the end of this brief interview. Part of what Harry said, as he was speaking off-the-cuff about the wonderful time he and Meghan had with William, Kate and the kids. Harry stumbled a bit searching for the right words. He speaks very quickly and sincerely. Harry is a sweet guy:
"... [Meghan's] done an absolutely amazing job. She's getting in there. It's [stutters a bit]
it's the family that I suppose she's never had."

Clearly Harry was not casting any negative aspersions. But I figured immediately when I heard him say this off-the-cuff that it would be latched onto in a negative way. I've just seen the comments by Sam Grant (who really has nerve questioning Harry after the way she repeatedly attempted to trash Meghan in hopes it might break up Meghan's relationship with Harry).

Meghan grew up with some cousins and half-siblings, but she did not come from a very large family. And her half-siblings were adults. Also, there were tensions in her father's family that have been reported by members of the family themselves! Meghan did not have siblings her own age. In Toronto, Meghan developed close friendships, but she mainly has her Mom and Dad, her mother's younger half brother (who is two years younger than Meghan but he's her uncle), a niece and nephew (Sam's children who were thankfully raised by their father's family!) who are somewhat close to her in age. And these probably are the family members she's closest to.

I'm not sure how close Meghan is to her mother's older sister and children (Meghan's cousins). Her mother's older brother (Meghan's Uncle Joseph) clearly is not a close family member, since he sold pictures and information to The Daily Mail, after H&M's engagement was announced.

Most people in the world obviously never had a family like the royal family, and never will. :lol: Although I'm sure there are some nonfamous large closeknit clans. I think it's kind of a rarity though in this day and age.

Harry was being positive about the fact of Meghan becoming part of his family. He wasn't thinking about the royalty aspect, just the extended clan aspect, and the fact that Meghan essentially grew up an only child (her half siblings were adults), with a few cousins, her maternal grandmother (paternal grandmother did not live close but visited on occasion; maternal grandfather had remarried and may not have been that close to Meghan), a few aunts and uncles, some nephews and later nieces. But how close everyone has been over the years on both sides of Meghan's family is questionable. Again, I don't think that Harry was being dismissive or negative in that respect. He was simply feeling happy about being able to share Christmas and his family with Meghan, his love and soon-to-be wife.

Last edited:
Meghan is their cash cow.

I think we had this same conversation about Kate and her so called friend from 3rd grade (was it Jessica somebody), who shared and sold (?) story after story about Kate when she first married.

I am not trying to thread jack the thread, but would you share your personal stories and pictures of someone you knew before they got famous? How much is integrity worth? I don't think I could do it, but it looks some of Meghan's family and friends don't have the same problem.

How much do you think they got paid for sharing pics of Meghan as a child? 10, 20, 30 or 50K. What if its more than that? You can earn a year's salary by selling some photos of your younger half sister, cousin or friend. Could you walk away from that?

Again, not to throw the thread of track but apparently some people (including her family) could not.

ETA: Yes, MaiaMia...I remember clearly when they had just publicly acknowledged their relationship...Sam inferred that what she knew about Meghan would not make her BRF marriage material. And it looks like she had nothing meaningful to share! The whole Markle family appears to be quite dysfunctional. When your own mother has nothing nice to say about your (unless the mother is a mess as well), well, that says it all really.

I think we had this same conversation about Kate and her so called friend from 3rd grade (was it Jessica somebody), who shared and sold (?) story after story about Kate when she first married.

I am not trying to thread jack the thread, but would you share your personal stories and pictures of someone you knew before they got famous? How much is integrity worth? I don't think I could do it, but it looks some of Meghan's family and friends don't have the same problem.

How much do you think they got paid for sharing pics of Meghan as a child? 10, 20, 30 or 50K. What if its more than that? You can earn a year's salary by selling some photos of your younger half sister, cousin or friend. Could you walk away from that?

Again, not to throw the thread of track but apparently some people (including her family) could not.
If they are no longer her friends, and getting paid well for it. I’d understand it as an economical decision. Not that I agree with it, but I understand it’s a lot of money for some people. That’s why I wasn’t mad at Meghan’s friend that sold the pictures, only the interview that seemed quite vindictive amongst other things. However, I doubt the papers are paying well for these information that Samantha can’t shut up about.

Integrity is priceless. I don’t think I could do that Zonk. I realize what the pictures are worth but my self respect is worth more. I’m not by any means a goody two shoes. As an example in the early 70s I lived in London with aunt and uncle for 5 month in a cousin swap. Uncle was great friends with a guy who’d come over and sing all the time. Lots of pictures—to the extent the guy said “your pictures are worth money”. I still have them, some think he still needs a haircut—every picture tells a story and mine are staying with me.

I don't think Harry said anything out of turn. Meghan obviously hasn't had a tight kit family with little kids running around at Christmas time. She has Imo wisely cut out of her life the toxic people who are cashing in now. And if Samantha's feelings got hurt, she deserves it. When this relationship became public, Samantha was one of the most loud voices trashing Meghan, tarnishing her name, at the time when it was the worst, and Harry felt the need to have that statement released. Samantha is cashing in on Meghan and her marrying Harry with her Princess Pushy's Sister book. Loving, supportive family doesn't do that.

Meghan is close with her mother and father, and I'm 100% sure they know she loves them and adores them.

ETA: It's obvious, that whatever Harry or Meghan say, it really doesn't matter, the tabloids are going to twist it into something negative. Eg when Meghan said in the engagement interview, that she didn't know much about Harry, it got twisted to her claiming, that she didn't know who he was. Same here, Imo the context in what Harry said was clear, but it's purposefully taken out of context to get an outrage reaction.

Last edited:
This brings up the nature vs nurture debate, doesn’t it? How is it that Meghan turned out so differently from her half siblings.

From what I've read, I think it's clear that Meghan's father became involved with his first wife when he was 18 or 19 -- that's very young. He ended up leaving his wife and two children (Sam and Tom Jr) and going off to California where he eventually developed a career in the film industry, as a lighting director. And of course, he met Meghan's Mom Doria on the set of General Hospital in the late 1970s.

Again from reports by family members (in this instance, Doria's older half brother, Joseph Johnson), Meghan's Mom Doria was born in Cleveland, OH and the family moved to California when Doria was a baby. Meghan's grandmother Jeanette Arnold's first husband was a professional roller skater who ended up leaving his wife and two children. Jeanette later met & married a minister and antiques dealer, Alvin Ragland, and they had Doria. Meghan's Mom Doria grew up free-spirited in L.A., and she attended a desegregated high school in the late 1960s early 1970s.

I think that Meghan received very strong nurturing from her mother Doria and her grandmother Jeanette. They were clearly strong women, especially by virtue of having to make it in the world largely on their own. Meghan learned independence and a hard work ethic from her mother Doria, her grandmother Jeanette, and from her father, Tom Markle, Sr. She also may have received some nurturing from her maternal grandfather when she was younger, but that's not clear since he at some point divorced Jeanette and remarried. I believe that Meghan's feminism and social consciousness comes from her maternal side. Her father Tom also seems to have been very supportive and encouraging to Meghan in pursuing her dreams and believing in herself.

It seems obvious to me that Tom Markle, Jr. and Sam Grant struggled a bit with the way their father doted on young Meghan, likely recalling that he wasn't there for them much when they were very young. Tom Jr., has repeatedly spoken of Meghan being the apple of their father's eye, and Sam has discussed how their Dad 'doted' on Meghan. There appears to be some bitterness, consciously or unconsciously on the part of Tom Jr., and Sam Grant, which has gotten them nowhere. And their mother Roslyn doesn't appear to have come from a strong or well-educated family background. Fortunately for Sam Grant's two oldest children, they were raised by their father's parents who apparently were nurturing. Sam Grant reportedly abused her younger daughter from a second marriage (as spoken of publicly by the daughter, Noelle Rasmussen).

ETA:
Note that Uncle Joseph's father is not Alvin Ragland @Zonk -- Alvin Ragland is Doria's father; Alvin later divorced Doria's mother, Jeanette, remarried and had a son, Alvin Joffrey Ragland, who is two years younger than Meghan).

Also, I've read that it's probable The Daily Fail paid 100K to Meghan's family members and the back-stabbing childhood friend who provided pictures and family details.

What Harry said was not an insult to either Doria or Tom, who always seems forgotten in these conversations. And I doubt either would take it that way.

Meghan is basically an only child. And an only child who grew up in a divorced house, split between her parents. This creates a very different dynamic. A dynamic Harry knows well, but he had a huge extended family. Her siblings were so much older then her, that by the time she really has memories of her holidays, they were likely not around. For her it may have been Christmas with mom, and maybe family if in town, and another day with dad. Its not the same as a big boisterous event with dozens of family, and kids running around. Having a family Christmas, with not only Harry's dad and stepmom, but brother and his family, grandmother and grandfather, aunts, uncles, cousins and so on, would be a huge change.

Samantha Grant is writing a book calling her sister Princess Pushy (needs to do her research and realize the title is already taken). She is going to take offense to anything Meghan says or does.

Harry may have been able to word it better, but it was just a natural unrehearsed comment, showing his happiness of his first holiday engaged.

Meghan Markle: Family and Background

Unfortunately I think this is going to be a constant issue in the future and something that’s going to have to be resolved. The idea that we’re going to get weekly criticism or (worse) scandal from Meghan’s sister is something people will rightly see as bitterness at the start but which they may lose patience with further down the line. It isn’t Meghan’s fault but it’s something that will have to be dealt with soon to avoid headlines like this becoming a regular occurrence.

Unfortunately I think this is going to be a constant issue in the future and something that’s going to have to be resolved. The idea that we’re going to get weekly criticism or (worse) scandal from Meghan’s sister is something people will rightly see as bitterness at the start but which they may lose patience with further down the line. It isn’t Meghan’s fault but it’s something that will have to be dealt with soon to avoid headlines like this becoming a regular occurrence.

Dealt with how? Samantha talks and the tabloids print it. Even if a friendly word is had with the British press, it will do nothing to stop the international press.

Seems like I've seen photos etc of Meghan having Christmas with friends more than one time. Perhaps her mother isn't into the Christmas stuff, not everyone is...or if she was when Meghan was younger it was just the 2 of them mostly.

Harry knows the background, I'm sure Meghan understands his comment. Of course folks will try to make something out of it into a negative thing.

LaRae

The best way to assure that Ms. Grant's words don't get any traction is to keep a very wide distance between Meghan and Samantha. Just even inviting her half-sister to the wedding and celebrations is a sure fire guarantee that it'll rake in the mega bucks for her stories about the wedding.

I'm sure Harry has related to Meghan stories about the inner circle of trust he and William have built up over the years and how once something was leaked to the press (they'd plant false stories), that was the end of it. I don't see any possibility whatsoever of Samantha ever gaining entrance into that inner circle. In this respect, I think Meghan is going to be as protective of Harry as he is of her.

A clear case of don't poke the bear.

Dealt with how? Samantha talks and the tabloids print it. Even if a friendly word is had with the British press, it will do nothing to stop the international press.

Even an informal meeting or phone call whereby some kind of non binding agreement can be worked out would be a start. Meghan is in a grace period at the moment but if this sort of thing continues to appear in the press long term, patience will wear thin. Hoping the problem will just go away or approaching it as inevitable so there’s nothing that can be done will only make matters worse IMO. As you say, the press will keep printing it and so the stories have to be cut off at the source. Which only Meghan can do.

Informal meeting or phone call???? So that Samantha gets more information to tell to the tabloids or print in her book? Meghan hasn't spoken to or had a relationship with this woman in years....doubt that she will reach out to her now.

Then the alternative is just to let her keep talking to the press which is already having a negative impact in Britain on how Meghan Markle is viewed. The Royal Family has often ignored problems and hoped that they’d just go away. This one won’t it seems. Of course, if people think that British goodwill to overlook this will be enough that’s fine. Time will tell.

Samantha has veered between praising Meghan and attacking her online in a way that defies rhyme or reason. The rest of Samantha's family, including her own daughter, have burst into print talking about her. She was blocked from several British media online outlets because of her rantings and inconsistencies and things went quiet for a while.

I don't quite know how Samantha is to be restrained from speaking out. Legal threats? An impossibility in the US. A pay-off? I can just see how that would play out in the British tabloids if payments were made and that was discovered. The Fail would go berserk.

IMO it will probably be best to let her moan away. Sooner or later people will become tired of her, especially as it's known that the half-sisters haven't had a relationship for well over a decade now.

Last edited:
Samantha has shown that she will keep talking to the media anyway. I take my cue from Meghan....she clearly has no intention of having any relationship with her half-sister. The less contact that Meghan has with her, the less information that Samantha has to run to the press with or put in a book.

Again, that’s all very well but a lot of that is dependant on two things. 1) That the press or Samantha do indeed become bored and the stories are no longer of interest, 2) the patience of the British people holds up that long.

I think she's an embarrassment, and she may cause a certain amount of negativety towards Meghan, because ther will be people who will believe whatever her sister says.
however if she's very irrational, the mass of the public (who don't take htat much interest in the RF anyway) will just discount her.

I don’t think it’s just related to whether people believe what she says. I think that it adds a circus element and a celebrity element to things which is very unwelcome and took the Royal Family many years to resolve to get back to a popularity rating it enjoys today. Nobody wants to go back to the Pallas days and this will (if it continues) have the same feeling as that. Which means it’s an issue that has to be dealt with as best they can before people begin to switch off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom