Is William being set up to fail?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mktv2000

Aristocracy
City
Seattle
Country
United States
Here is my question/concern. I really worry that the way the Queen and Prince Charles are treating William and Harry is really setting the English Monarchy to have a tough time. I would think that there are VERY few people on earth who can understand what they are going through. Even their cousins Zara and Peter, so close in age, cannot understand their lives. Why in the world, after William turned 18, would he not be one of the representitives of the royal family at functions in Europe. He could have friendships with Victoria, Fredrick, Guillaume, etc. These are the only people on earth who can understand what he goes thru, the same with Harry. Instead they send The Earl and Countess of Wessex, and sometimes Prince Charles. I hope this changes after he gets out of college, if it doesn't I think the transition to Prince of Wales, and eventually King will be even more lonely and difficult. Thoughts?

Part of William's problem is himself. He is still having a hard time dealing with who he is. I know from reading many books on the royals that the Queen and Buckingham Palace have been trying to get William to start performing official duites, even Prince Harry has performed duties and he is not in line for the throne. Prince Charles does try and shield his sons from the media and I think that is a mistake in some regards. Both WIlliam and Harry will have to deal with the media their whole lives.

I think that because William and Harry both went through so much in their younger days (two parents fighting very publicly, a rather acrimonious and public divorce and publicized affairs, all the scandals in between and after and ultimately Diana's death) both Charles and Diana and to some extent the Queen have all tried very hard to shield William and Harry and protect them. Think how enraged Charles's camp got when it was discoverd that Uncle Edward's Advent company was filming William at school. And then there were agreements and arrangements made one after another when it would be okay for the media to photograph the boys -- after William was done university, after Harry had graduated from Eton, after they had each gone abroad on their gap year, and on and on it went. (That is not to say that the press didn't violate these agreements, but St. James and Charles's camp was constantly making these arrangements all in the name of protecting the two boys.) I think in this sense the two boys are too sheltered.

I think it is too hard to compare William to the likes of Frederik, Willem, Felipe, Phillippe, etc. Even though they all share the same or similar roles, these four men are ages older than William, all of whom are married now and some with young families. But Guillaume of Luxembourg is certainly a fine comparison considering that both boys are relatively close in age and share similar futures. Guillaume has accompanied his parents to several occasions now abroad, meeting other royals at weddings and the like, as well as being part of visits to Luxembourg (such as the festivities to celebrate his father's new role as the Grand Duke.) In this way I think Guillaume is much more prepared for his future role -- and his role will certainly not be as public or as widespread as William's when you consider he will also be the King of the Commonwealth. While both these young men are at least a decade younger than their "elder" counterparts, and the two sets of lives very different, I think that in talking to Willem, Frederik, Felipe, Phillippe, Albert, etc. William and Guillaume could certainly learn from each of them. And when you think that attending the Spanish or Danish weddings recently would've been relatively "easy" work, it would've been a great opportunity for William to meet, talk to and even bond with his counterparts, regardless of age.

I think that ultimately Charles, Diana and the Queen's attempts to protect and shield William and Harry from prying eyes will hurt them more than help them, particularly William. William needs exposure to the world out there, not to be constantly protected and hidden from it. He is lucky that his grandmother is still quite active and carries on hundreds of royal duties a year, and that he has his father, aunt Anne, uncle Edward and aunt Sophie to also ease the load. But sadly, his grandmother and grandfather will not be able to carry on such a rigorous schedule for long, and William will be expected to pick up the slack and I suspect that it will be quite an eye opener for him.

I think this is the last "free summer" for William before he takes on more duties in the British royal family. After his graduation next year, the agreement with the press ends. He has talked about joining the military after school. William surprised me with his charity run and interview. After this year, I expect to see William at military school, royal weddings, state visits, etc.

William and Harry have been too sheltered, but this may be part of the family's plan for their future. After the bad marriages, deaths, scandals, etc., the family, to me, is being extra cautious. There are plenty of advisers in place to help William succeed.

I read once the queen couldn't understand why her children's marriage failed and had changed her approach just a tad. In my opinion, the queen is doing everything in her power to ease William's burden. Remember, Sophie had it easier than Diane and Sarah. With others picking up the slack, it gives the queen more time. I think the queen will hold on as long as she can, Charles be king 2 to 5 years then William takes over. Her mother reached 100 and lived an active life and she probably will too. I also keep hearing the queen would love for William to marry before he's 30. Very interesting to me!

I think you're right he should learn from Guillaume (closest to his age), Victoria (second closest), Frederik, Felipe, etc. I hope for his sake that he does. Guillaume became the heir at 19. I think his grandfather planned to step down when he was 17. So he's had 2 plus years to get ready. Hopefully, William in 2 to 3 years will be prepared for his future role. Time will tell if he'll fail and things should have been different!!!

William is still in full-time education, and unlike a lot of the other young royals, who are still somewhat older than him, he's the sovereign's grandson, not the crown prince. There'll be plenty of time for him to get into the royal routine when he's a bit older. The Queen had to give up her normal life rather young when her father became ill and then died, and she probably wants William to have a bit of time to himself before he gets into the full-time royal round. In the meantime, it's being reported that she's spending time introducing him to the behind-the-scenes reality of what it means to be head of state, so he's going to be prepared at least to an extent.

i agree with your posts!

I think Prince William will attend traditional military what he told press said month ago like his grandfather,Uncle,Dad but he wanted taking military training.

when he was younger his parents had affairs with each people his dad had known Camilla Parker Bowler in 1970's before Diana Spencer join Royal Family and Princess Diana been many affairs with man include James Hewitt,James Oliver and lots more with man who been affair with Diana in 1990's and his parents have problems with marriages because of affairs and taboilds,everythings! Diana recalled Queen and Prince Phillips what Diana recalled.

I think Prince William would taking duties for his mother's job after colleges not military but he wanted taking military its too late but he would taking his mother's job after his mom's death in 1997 not include with families its would more deal! its makes more feels of Prince William

His Great-Grandmother the HM Queen Mother been reached till 100 years old but Queen Mother been alive for long time till she died in 2002 but Prince William still missed his great-grandmother lots.

when William wanted to have deal with the press taking pictures at Scotland when his Uncle the Earl of Wessex's company taking of film his nephew Prince William to making film without permission Prince William but more urgent over his Dad the Prince of Wales and his Uncle the Earl of Wessex in the taboilds about what happened at Scotland but i think William wanted more privacy at school he told press about it to leave him alone they wont wanted accident like his mother the Princess Diana in 1997 same called the "paparazzi".

Prince William will getting married at ages 30 year old because mostly Royals families must getting married at 30 when his Uncle Earl of Wessex who married to his Aunt Miss Sophie-Rhys Jones she known as Countess Sophie Wessex in June 19,1999 his Uncle more older and his aunt same ages of his because he is still future King of England after his dad and his Grandmother the HM Queen 2.

I think Prince William will be more becareful for duties when he done college and military and he wouldnt drunk like it but he loves it.

Sara Boyce

I have to agree. William has lost the good way he was walking on when his mother was still alive.

I think William and Harry has a lot of problems, emotional rollercoasters. I hope they can solve it....If not, the Windsors will have a hard time again. and then they will be lost.

Well I am so glad to know it isn't just me who feels this way. And I totally agree with Genevive about the age gap...I think he probably has the most in COMMON with Guillaume and maybe Victoria, and he has a lot to LEARN from Felipe, W-A, Fredrick, etc. Either way I was saddened to see him not attened the recent royal weddings, like it was stated above, those are EASY gigs...you just have to show up!!! I do think he is in an interesting place as he is not the Prince of Wales YET, but still. There is no way his father will reign as long as Queen Elizabeth, so he will never have as much time to prepare for his role as King. I really do hope that this some DOES bring some engagements for him, as well as Harry. Frankly, I think Harry could learn a few things from Carl-Phillip and Madeline in particular.

Nothing to do but to sit and hope for the best. But I really think that it is getting to the point where QE2 and Prince Charles are setting their boys up for a long, and LONELY road.

Either way I was saddened to see him not attened the recent royal weddings, like it was stated above, those are EASY gigs...you just have to show up!!!

Yes, but they were in May, one of them was on a Friday, and he's a university student. The crown princes doing full-time royal work can clear their engagement diaries for a few days; the University of St Andrews isn't going to put its courses on hold while one of its students goes off to weddings in Denmark and Spain. Especially when there are other members of the royal family to go instead. He's got decades of time ahead of him to do all that stuff; he's only going to get one shot at being a student and getting a degree.

royal_sophietje said:
I have to agree. William has lost the good way he was walking on when his mother was still alive.

I think William and Harry has a lot of problems, emotional rollercoasters. I hope they can solve it....If not, the Windsors will have a hard time again. and then they will be lost.
So we are back to the Diana - Saint, Charles - Sinner scenario!!

William has always been a very reticent young man. His mother's death and the resulting media attention cannot have helped this. He has appeared to be quite comfortable and at home with the public at events with his extended family. The Queen is very aware of the problems facing William and, as they are said to be very close, I am sure that she is offering him guidance.

William & Harry are "between generations" as far as the european royals are concerned and while they might have some things in common with Victoria or Guillaime, their circumstances are very different. Neither of these young people could ever hope to understand what W & H have been through.

Perosnally, I think that William and Harry are doing just fine. As for William, I think it is good that he has "privacy" while he can get it. Pretty soon he has to start his official life. His father is doing what he needs to do has "heir". It will be William's time soon enough.

I am not a big Prince Charles fan but I think he has been a good father. You can tell by the way his sons interact with him. You can't fake that.

It is very easy to criticize people but I am sure we would have something different to say if we were in their shoes.

I've also wondered why William is so slow in taking on official duties. I guess it's good that he's continueing his education but he could at least attend some official ceremonies during his school breaks. He's 22 now but once he inherits the Prince of Wales title, he'll likely be overwhelmed by the tasks facing him.

William doesn't have "problems" except those emanating from a control-freaking resentful parent who doesn't allow his son to do anything at 22 without his say-so. His father obviously doesn't want to be outshone and not only doesn't want to be outshone but would clearly prefer William to wind up being the type of utter mediocrity and failure that daddy is. Charles doesn't want to go down alone, having his mistress as "non-negotiable" is not enough for him in the damage he's wreaking on the monarchy. He wants to make sure any future the monarchy after him might have in the person of William is just as damaged as he is.

Julian,
How about taking your twisted opinions elsewhere????
If you don't like Prince Charles, don't get involved in the conversations.

Wymanda,

I have a perfect right to take my opinions wherever I wish to. This is a forum open to all opinions not just your incessant nasty groveling and daily attacks on other people when they don't toady to Prince Charles.

I agree that all opinions are welcome and the forum is made more interesting by the fact that we get many different opinions but when those opinions are based on poor information about events that none of us can possibly know anything about and those opinions are gratuitously attacking people then they don't belong on this or any other forum.
Like the rest of the world's population the Prince of Wales has his faults, which I am sure he is aware of. However he, like any other single parent has had many hurdles to overcome and we are not all born with perfect parenting skills.

wymanda said:
I agree that all opinions are welcome and the forum is made more interesting by the fact that we get many different opinions but when those opinions are based on poor information about events that none of us can possibly know anything about and those opinions are gratuitously attacking people then they don't belong on this or any other forum.
No, you don't at all really agree that "all opinions are welcome" since not only do you troll around attacking mine but you did so to royal-sophietje as well, making it into your usual Saint Charles Cannot Be Criticised paranoia.

And it doesn't matter whether you deem other people's opinions are based on "poor information" because that too is just your opinion. The only one who has absolutely no clue is you since you can't possibly know what anyone "knows" or does not know. In fact, you're about the last person in the world who "welcomes all opinions" as you've just shown with your latest post.

Julian said:
William doesn't have "problems" except those emanating from a control-freaking resentful parent who doesn't allow his son to do anything at 22 without his say-so.

How do you know that Prince Charles doesn't let Prince William do anything without his say-so?

His father obviously doesn't want to be outshone and not only doesn't want to be outshone but would clearly prefer William to wind up being the type of utter mediocrity and failure that daddy is. Charles doesn't want to go down alone, having his mistress as "non-negotiable" is not enough for him in the damage he's wreaking on the monarchy. He wants to make sure any future the monarchy after him might have in the person of William is just as damaged as he is.

And how do you know this? Or did you forget to say that it was your opinion rather than a verifiable fact?

The thing is - Are we sure that we aren't seeing the REAL Prince William now? And that previously it was just spin from James Palace.

moosey60 said:
I've also wondered why William is so slow in taking on official duties. I guess it's good that he's continueing his education but he could at least attend some official ceremonies during his school breaks. He's 22 now but once he inherits the Prince of Wales title, he'll likely be overwhelmed by the tasks facing him.
THATS exactly why I'm afraid of!!! When this will happen, he will make the same mistakes as the other Windsors has made....

He has the looks from his mum, but his character is from his father...that will cause problems later...

Elspeth said:
How do you know that Prince Charles doesn't let Prince William do anything without his say-so?

And how do you know this? Or did you forget to say that it was your opinion rather than a verifiable fact?
No, I didn't forget to say that it was my opinion. It's my opinion based on events as they've unfolded, so I deliberately and knowingly didn't say it was my opinion because there was absolutely no need to. Do you see every single last post including the explicit phrase "this is my opinion" on the thousands of posts on these forums, or did you forget to look and look only at mine, and because it involves St. Charles?

Last edited:
No, I didn't forget to say that it was my opinion. It's my opinion based on events as they've unfolded, so I deliberately and knowingly didn't say it was my opinion because there was absolutely no need to.

When you're talking about things which can be taken to be factual statements, such as comments along the lines that Charles is doing something because of this or that reason, especially when you're involved in a disagreement with someone, it helps to differentiate statements of fact from opinions.

Do you see every single last post including the explicit phrase "this is my opinion" on the thousands of posts on these forums, or did you forget to look and look only at mine, and because it involves St. Charles?

I look at posts from people where there's been confusion in the past about whether they were talking about their opinions or making statements of fact.

Elspeth said:
When you're talking about things which can be taken to be factual statements, such as comments along the lines that Charles is doing something because of this or that reason, especially when you're involved in a disagreement with someone, it helps to differentiate statements of fact from opinions.

I look at posts from people where there's been confusion in the past about whether they were talking about their opinions or making statements of fact.
1. I wasn't involved in any "disgreement with someone" when I made that post, and

2. If you looked at posts where there's been confusion in the past about whether they're talking about their opinions or making statements of fact then you should know from that prior experience which was likely which.

I stand by my statements, you can take them however you wish.

I personally don't think that William or Harry have any intentions of ever doing royal duties but I don't say that as a criticism. They are two modern young men living in 2004. On the few recent occasions when they have sat in a carraige or appeared on the balcony at Buckingham Palace, such as at Trooping the Colour last year, they looked twichty and William's face was red with embarrassment. You could almost imagine them thinking of the ribbing thay were going to get from their mates in the pub the next day. I know other young royals in Europe combine the modern with the old but most have two parents there to guide them and havn't experienced the bitter public humilliations that William and Harry have. A member of the public shook William's hand recently and said " I can't believe I've shaken hands with the future King" to which William replied "And where is he?" A throw away remark maybe, but I think it betrayed something deeper. I suppose we will all find out what his intentions are for sure in the next 5 years or so.

I guess all that can be said is that only time will tell.

james said:
I personally don't think that William or Harry have any intentions of ever doing royal duties but I don't say that as a criticism. They are two modern young men living in 2004. On the few recent occasions when they have sat in a carraige or appeared on the balcony at Buckingham Palace, such as at Trooping the Colour last year, they looked twichty and William's face was red with embarrassment. You could almost imagine them thinking of the ribbing thay were going to get from their mates in the pub the next day. I know other young royals in Europe combine the modern with the old but most have two parents there to guide them and havn't experienced the bitter public humilliations that William and Harry have. A member of the public shook William's hand recently and said " I can't believe I've shaken hands with the future King" to which William replied "And where is he?" A throw away remark maybe, but I think it betrayed something deeper. I suppose we will all find out what his intentions are for sure in the next 5 years or so.
I just read on Hola.com that Harry is currently in Africa doing humanitarian work. I think the problem is that the press is looking for the foibles instead of the positive. For those who read Spanish: http://www.hola.com/abonados/casasreales/2004/09/05/harry-video/

james said:
You're right that William and Harry never look very comfortable on the few occasions they are performing royal duties, although Harry at least looks more relaxed than his older brother. William always looks tense and pent up and nervous and on edge. I always thought that to some extent it was part of his character, that he was naturally quite shy and that being on public display as he is for Tropping the Colour or whatever was sort of embarassing for him.

But the reality is this is William's future, shy or not he needs to learn to get over it and make some attempt to perform his public duties with a bit more ease. He may never be 100% comfortable, but he could at least not look like sitting in that carriage or standing on that balcony next to his grandmother and father is the last place he wants to be. And really, I think the best way to get over that sense of unease is to be more out there -- especially while he can be standing next to pros like his grandmother and father who will support him and guide him.

I don't really think that William only having one parent to guide him is part of the problem here. While William and Harry have both certainly dealt with incredible matters in their short life and the very public loss of their mother, the reality is that lots of people in this world are raised by only one parent and none of them are shirking their responsibilties the way that William seems to be. While Diana was still alive, in the last few years of her life especially, I think she taught William and Harry a great deal. If not by explanation then certainly by example of how to go about their duties and handle their royal obligations. If Diana were alive today, would William expect his mommy to hold his hand in the carriage on the day of Trooping the Colour or what?

remember one thing, Prince William is not Heir Apparent, he is Heir Presumptive. Its Prince Charles who is Heir Apparent. Until the current reign ends, Prince William is free to carve a niche for himself, explore different areas, serve in the army, get a job! He is not yet bound, by convention, to the duties of an heir, unlike the Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg. We cannot compare him to the other heirs because his father fulfills that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom