The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince William and Prince Harry

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Courtier

William's future as King-in-waiting

William to quit Army in 18 months to learn 'art of kingship'

Old 07-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Majesty

how many years has william left in the military?

what i understand he has never taken part of state visit, what state visit was charles first?

Old 07-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

William Has until 2009 Dont know what duties he will have though I Think the First Visit was When The POW And Anne visited Nixon in the 70s
Old 07-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Courtier

William set to be our royal at the FO - Times Online
Old 07-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
William Has until 2009 Dont know what duties he will have though I Think the First Visit was When The POW And Anne visited Nixon in the 70s
He has done some duties. Was the trip to New Zealand a duty?
I know that one part that was sports related but he also lied a wreath the Auckland War Memorial Museum and meant with veterans as a representative of Queen Elizabeth II which marked the end of WWII.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by karla64 View Post
Serving in the Foreign Office as a civil servant strikes me as a more informative job that being in the armed forces. As the article says, everyone knows that William is not going to be a career army officer, so why not have him do something that educates him about how the government works?
Old 07-08-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary1966 View Post
Serving in the Foreign Office as a civil servant strikes me as a more informative job that being in the armed forces. As the article says, everyone knows that William is not going to be a career army officer, so why not have him do something that educates him about how the government works?
I agree, and I would fully applaud any amount of time he spends working in the FO, but at the same time, I think his military training is just as valuable. I see all courses proposed in the Times article as valuable.
1) Military
2) Foreign Office -- they say, starting around 2009
3) Prince's Trust/full-time engagements, perhaps in 2012?
Even though he will leave the military early on in order to do other things.
I think it is not unusual to spend a short time in military service. Prince Charles only stayed for six years, and look at Prince Edward, who didn't even finish training! I think king-training should encompass a wide range of experiences. As the scope of the job of the Monarch is far-reaching, the training should be diverse. I think a little military experience, a little Foreign Office experience learning about diplomatic service, and then perhaps, as the Times' Christopher Morgan suggests, taking over the Prince's Trust will all give him valuable knowledge.
If these things are true, especially what he allegedly says about wanting structured training, it says a lot about PW's maturity. Structure is the key to success in all things.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I Think its an awsome Idea
I do to think it's an awesome idea as it does put him in a position of continuing to applying himself to duty and country. It also gives him more purpose of being as he waits out for Kingship duty.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:14 AM
Royal Highness

One step too much

Prince William of Wales 's future at first is to become Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, etc. and eventually to be created as The Prince of Wales.

Only then we can label him as king-in-waiting. For the moment he still is heir-in-waiting.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

So whats on the Agenda Military wise FO wise and Ect until he becomes Duke of Cornwall give me a rundown of you think will Happen in the next 25 Years
Old 07-17-2007, 08:38 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
So whats on the Agenda Military wise FO wise and Ect until he becomes Duke of Cornwall give me a rundown of you think will Happen in the next 25 Years
My guess:

HRH Prince William will finish his military training.

HRH Prince William will make a special program in which he will be introduced to all the armed forces (army, navy, air force, constabulary).

HRH Prince William will start with public events and become a regular item in the Court Circular.

HRH Prince William becomes HRH The Prince William, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay and eventually also The Prince of Wales. My guess is that the Prince will not have to wait too long for his creation as The Prince of Wales.

HRH The Prince of Wales will take up his responsibilities for the management of the Duchy of Cornwall and also build his own Household, most likely by changes in the Household left by his predecessor.

HRH The Prince of Wales will, as Heir Apparent, take considerably more public duties and also give acte de presence on State Visits and royal events at home and abroad.

In between all this HRH The Prince of Wales will probably marry.

And finally HRH The Prince of Wales will succeed his father as King.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:38 AM

My guess;

HRH Prince William will finish his military training.

HRH Prince William will take on more sports charities and will take on patronages his mother held in the vain attempt to leech off of her popularity.

HRH Prince William will start with public events and become a regular item in the Court Circular.

HRH Prince William will get married, probably to Kate Middleton.

HRH Prince William will succeed Charles as Prince of Wales etc and do all the things his father has done.

HRH Prince William will face mass modernisation and a referendum after he becomes King. We will become a republic and he will eek out a living as HM King William V with HM Queen Katherine. And good riddance.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
We will become a republic and he will eek out a living as HM King William V with HM Queen Katherine. And good riddance.
You mean ex-King William V and ex-Queen Katherine, probably living abroad in France or Germany?

Old 07-17-2007, 10:11 AM

Furthur hopefully
Old 07-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M. View Post
You mean ex-King William V and ex-Queen Katherine, probably living abroad in France or Germany?

Perhaps in the Republic of Scotland at their home, Balmoral.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:08 PM

You have to be joking. When Republic comes, we're having Balmoral.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

I Hope a Rebuplic never comes :(
Old 07-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Can one really imagine Great Britain as a republic?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm sure Tony Blair can.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:50 PM
Aristocracy

I suspect that is the EU eventual goal.

Tags
armed services, career, government, prince william, royal duties