The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Not all medals are related to the armed forces, though. The only such medal Charles has, for instance, is the Canadian Forces Decoration. The other ones (worn on the breast) he has are the Queen's Service Order (from New Zealand), the coronation medal, the two jubilee medals, and the New Zealand 1990 commemorative medal. The only members of the BRF with specifically military medals (other than the Canadian Forces Decoration) are Philip (for World War II), the Queen (for World War II, but she hasn't worn them since 1986 when she last attended Trooping the Colour in uniform), Andrew (Falklands), Harry (Afghanistan), and the Duke of Kent (Cyprus). Those are all medals that anyone in their positions would have received (maybe not Harry due to the length of time, but the cutting short of his tour was hardly his fault) and aren't really connected to any activities as Colonel in Chief.
Agreed.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

From what I know P W has graduated college with a degree in geography??
Why doesn't he go to a university to study international relations, international trade and history? These would be more beneficial subjects for him than spending time in the Armed Forces. It is good he spent time in the Army, Air force and Navy but his chances of leading the troops to war are miniscule.
Education and knowledge about how things work in the real world would give him the tools he will need to be a true leader and help his country.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Royal Highness

Geography is quite useful when it comes to finding his GF's backyard to land his helicopter, or check Grandma Q's map collection over the ages showing the changing sizes of her realm, and sure useful in figuring out where to go for the next vacation.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

That is why I believe he needs to get past these uses of geography knowledge.
The times when the heirs could spend their time waiting discreetly and patiently for their turn to ascend to the throne are long gone.
With news 24/7 watching every move they make, they need to look a bit more useful and connected.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas View Post
Geography is quite useful when it comes to finding his GF's backyard to land his helicopter, or check Grandma Q's map collection over the ages showing the changing sizes of her realm, and sure useful in figuring out where to go for the next vacation.

Incas you made me spill/splurt my coffee.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:52 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

It's unfortunate that the public only receives the younger generation as being out there for the fun of it and for the fun of it only. I don't see any deeper sense in William's army training (he has done only very little so far what was distracted by some well discussed stunts that could make people think that he doesn't take things too seriously). But all this must have been pretty tough on him so he needed another vacation with his ever-vacationing girlfriend (she might not do and yes, she might have a "job" now but the stigma sticks - no reputation to lose anyway). Harry did his duty in Afghanistan but presented himself more like a young person without a clear idea of what to do but for now enjoying a major adventure playground for tough guys on a mission. I have to say, and I never thought I'd say this, the only person who gives the most mature or serious impression or seems to have a deeper idea about her life apart from probably getting married to a prince is Chelsey Davy.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Commoner

I think you guys may have misunderstood what a degree in geography really means. There are lots of issues in that field that a king should take an interest in.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas View Post

Good point but I guess the sad truth is that he doesn't have the brains for more.

On the other hand - do the best intellectually educated CP's become the best or most stable monarchs? Not so sure this is on top of the agenda when it counts. William is lacking some common sense or emotional intelligence but unfortunately there is no university degree for that.

I think he should do a SERIOUS army training, longer and more deep than the one he does which is a little bit of everything = nothing and then go into SERIOUS social issues with his father being a role model (Princes' trust). I hope his role as CP prevents him from ending up like two of his uncles, either arrogant or useless.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Good point but I guess the sad truth is that he doesn't have the brains for more.

William is lacking some common sense or emotional intelligence but unfortunately there is no university degree for that.
I don't think this is true. What is your basis for assuming this? Esp. the part about "common sense" and "emotional intelligence."

Quote:
I hope his role as CP prevents him from ending up like two of his uncles, either arrogant or useless.
Arrogant and useless? Surely you're not referring to Prince Andrew.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I don't think this is true. What is your basis for assuming this? Esp. the part about "common sense" and "emotional intelligence."
Flying with an army helicopter to a stag night? Doing his landing practice in girlfriend's garden? There are a few occasions where less could have been more or a second thought would have been strongly recommended for the sake of the public reception that is quite important for the monarchy.

<deleted by TheTruth for insults toward Royals.>
Old 08-11-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
It's unfortunate that the public only receives the younger generation as being out there for the fun of it and for the fun of it only. I don't see any deeper sense in William's army training (he has done only very little so far what was distracted by some well discussed stunts that could make people think that he doesn't take things too seriously). But all this must have been pretty tough on him so he needed another vacation with his ever-vacationing girlfriend (she might not do and yes, she might have a "job" now but the stigma sticks - no reputation to lose anyway). Harry did his duty in Afghanistan but presented himself more like a young person without a clear idea of what to do but for now enjoying a major adventure playground for tough guys on a mission. I have to say, and I never thought I'd say this, the only person who gives the most mature or serious impression or seems to have a deeper idea about her life apart from probably getting married to a prince is Chelsey Davy.
I understand you, and I can understand why and how anyone might feel as you feel about it, even though I don't completely agree. I do think William's military stints are too short, but I lay the blame at the Clarence House advisors and not on William. Clarence House put him on a crash course of military diversity that is utterly ridiculous. He had no time to do anything except have a teaser taste of each service. But this does not relate to his private holidays. He has a right to have a vacation. He goes on a Caribbean vacation sometimes for a week or two of each year, I think, and this is not excessive. And Kate is not "ever on vacation" either. I believe it is an exaggeration to say that all she does is go on vacation or shop.
But we do agree that Chelsy is awesome. Chelsy rocks!
Old 08-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
There seem to be a lot of views on the "length" and "depth" of Will's military career. DoM - What would you have liked the ideal military career for William to look like? Also, how many vacations do you think Kate & Will should be taking in a year?
Old 08-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
Long enough to get more than a smattering. He could have followed his father´s footsteps and gone into the Navy. Some years at least.
I wouldn´t expect PW to have a lifetime military career it would be pointless because whatever he does, and for however long, he is going to end up being Colonel in Chief with a chest full of medals, which is normal in the BRF.
Williams military career is essentially one focussed primarily on the Army. Of the 3 years he will spend in the armed forces, 2 years will have been with the Blues & Royals, with the third year spread across various other parts of the forces. I think the 2 years in the B&R constitutes "more than a smattering" but I am not sure how much time you would have considered appropriate.

The other way to look at it is to think whether spending any more time in the forces is actually going to do much more for William in his training. As you rightly point out, he is never going to have a lifetime in the forces.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

I can´t help comparing with how much time my husband and sons spent on their military training so perhaps that has interfered a bit with my thoughts on P W´s military career. But, as we have agreed, he is not going to be a career officer.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It's unfortunate that the public only receives the younger generation as being out there for the fun of it and for the fun of it only. I don't see any deeper sense in William's army training (he has done only very little so far what was distracted by some well discussed stunts that could make people think that he doesn't take things too seriously).
As Britain is a country without an obligatorial military duty for any young man, I see it as if the direct heirs to the throne are the only ones who actually have to do their military duty of all Britons. But what if William is a pacifist? He surely is not allowed to talk about it as with Britain at war this would be a political statement but I think he has at least a father to whom to turn if he is not happy with his military duty, a father who is able to devise a way to do this duty without having to linger too long there. When William finishes his time at the military he has passed successfully the officer's course at Sandhurst, seen a bit of military life and can safely assume he did enough, so may retire honorably to become the figurehead he was born to be.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
There seem to be a lot of views on the "length" and "depth" of Will's military career. DoM - What would you have liked the ideal military career for William to look like? Also, how many vacations do you think Kate & Will should be taking in a year?
I am basically with Casiraghi Trio - see post before. No crash course but a longer and in-depth stint and if the duty part is fine I don't have any problems with William's vacation. Kate unfortunately has picked up this lazy image and the more vacation pictures the public gets to see (even if it's only once a year) the more the stigma sticks and she will have to work superhard in case she will become William's wife to convince the public otherwise.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:35 PM

I think it is true that he has probably done enough military stuff, and if he is only going to do it halfway or half-cocked, it's maybe better to do something else. There are many things he can do that will build his character and expand his mind. I believe there is no one who knows better than William what that might be. He should think hard about what he wants to do, what are his passions, his interests? I believe the second half of the 20s is a fine time to begin asking oneself such questions. He is a man at a pivotal time of life who needs to start making decisions (on his own) for his life.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
how many vacations do you think Kate & Will should be taking in a year?
The forces offer 30 working days plus bank holidays (another 8 days per year), weekends are normally free. Most of the 'youngsters' I know, from affluent families take 3-4 breaks per year. A great many of the others take at least 2-3 breaks. By breaks, I am referring to holidays abroad.
Quote:
with his ever-vacationing girlfriend (she might not do-Snipped
Quote:
Kate unfortunately has picked up this lazy image and the more vacation pictures the public gets to see (even if it's only once a year) the more the stigma sticks and she will have to work superhard in case she will become William's wife to convince the public otherwise
Only those that wish to present her in a bad light.

Many will I think, see her as normal and leading the lifestyle they would love to become accustomed to!
Old 08-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Also, how many vacations do you think Kate & Will should be taking in a year?
As many as they can fit in before they face 60+ years of making nice at ribbon cuttings and public intrusion into every aspect of their private lives, including Kate's ovulation cycles.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise View Post
As many as they can fit in before they face 60+ years of making nice at ribbon cuttings and public intrusion into every aspect of their private lives, including Kate's ovulation cycles.
Most well to do British people take 3-4 holidays a year, time / money permitting. Notwithstanding Luv2Cruise's comments (which I fully endorse!) I can't understand why the comments on Kate permanently being on holiday etc. Completely unjusitfied, IMO!

Tags
armed services, career, government, prince william, royal duties