The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Interesting, Roderick. Edward, Prince of Wales, had started his adulthood by a trip to Canada and the United States. Interesting that Victoria was thinking of something similar for her grandsons.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think he should take another trip to the USA! I also would love to see him flying a plane and rescuing people. Like he said that he wanted to do in the interview.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Nobility

I see Prince William wanting a much more gritty experience rather than all suited up shaking hands of dignitaries of the Commonwealth for a nice photo op.. I envision Prince William wanting to tackle the more riveting and painful of the true human experience of his future subjects all over the Commonwealth....He confounds those advisors who want him to be a clone of his father....I assume!

I see William being a humanitarian rather than soldier and using his military training to become a peacemaker/diplomat rather than warrior prince... He might just be the one future leader who has all the answers and can bridge the huge gap of the "haves" and the "have nots".

I am sure he would love to get out in the world and do all sorts of things but his personality sometimes superseeds the popularity of his father's. So there is this delicate balance of making sure Prince Charles is promoted as "King in waiting". I would assume Prince William is doing an awful lot of good things behind the scenes that is rarely reported....He is the star, the hope, the future...
Old 03-03-2008, 02:07 AM
Commoner

MBA for William?

Would it surprise anyone if William did go to the U.S. and study for a Master's in Business? I think that seeing some world leaders, including in the U.S. like Bush, that business is the way to go because of the internal workings of a nation and the international importance of business these days. Although History is a great discipline...you learn the ways of the world in this area.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Snowbear View Post
Would it surprise anyone if William did go to the U.S. and study for a Master's in Business? I think that seeing some world leaders, including in the U.S. like Bush, that business is the way to go because of the internal workings of a nation and the international importance of business these days. Although History is a great discipline...you learn the ways of the world in this area.
I believe we had this discussion before, but again: why should he go to the US? He's going to be an European Head of State and thus, I'd think, the European view is more important, which has been covered by his history degree already. IMHO after he had proved his "manhood" on becoming a soldier, he should prove his ability to become Head of State of an EU-country by working for a time at EU Headquarters in Brussels.

As for "business is the way to go" - at the moment the way state financed banks, secure in their invincibility (if something goes wrong, the taxpayer will cover the bill), allow the markets to become mere objects of speculation - I doubt it is necessary for William to learn about these workings in the abstractness it is teached at university if he at the same time can practically learn how to help those poor people who suffer because of the financial effects of those speculations through charity work.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator

It wouldn't surprise me if he studied business (although, maybe it would surprise me if he went back to school), but it would surprise me if he did it in the US. He would more than likely do it in the UK or in another Commonwealth Realm if he did.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Snowbear View Post
Would it surprise anyone if William did go to the U.S. and study for a Master's in Business?
Yes, I would be astonished.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:35 AM
Aristocracy

While I think it would definitely be a good idea for him to study business since he'll one day be responsible for the Duchy of Cornwall and the businesses his father build up, I don't think this will happen since it will only keep him from full-time royal duties even longer. The British public already seems unhappy with the effort William makes and not regard him as hard-working enough hence I doubt that they would see him getting a masters degree abroad positively. But he could of course study in the UK.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Courtier

Personaly I think he should be trained as a Diplomat (that could and would) come in handy as the years go by. Get a taste of other Countries and how to handle himself around other World Leaders. Although I don't think Kate would be an asset on the world stage. Most important get him away from his small circle of clubbing friends and out in the real world.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Commoner

He needs to do more royal duties,and less holiday's with little miss muffet who sat on her tuffet.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendroyal View Post
He needs to do more royal duties,and less holiday's with little miss muffet who sat on her tuffet.
I think your right.
I understand that he's doing miltary training and stuff but shouldn't he occasionally do a engagement or some kind or even attend a state dinner. Because hows he going to react when he's out of military training and he has 3 or 4 engagements a day even??
And yeash your rite friendroyal he's been spending too much time of holiday with Kate, i understand that they haven't seen each other for a while but she must understand that this is for his 'career'. ???
I would understand wouldn' you?
x
Old 04-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Aristocracy

I think it would be an asset if Prince William in future years had some training related to foreign affairs as well as commerce. It would be good to see him accompany the Queen or Prince Charles on visits to other countries. I'd like to see the Prince participate in state visits to Britain, including state banquets, in the next few years too.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isana View Post
While I think it would definitely be a good idea for him to study business since he'll one day be responsible for the Duchy of Cornwall and the businesses his father build up, I don't think this will happen since it will only keep him from full-time royal duties even longer. The British public already seems unhappy with the effort William makes and not regard him as hard-working enough hence I doubt that they would see him getting a masters degree abroad positively. But he could of course study in the UK.
I think he should do a master's degree in political science and/or business, and I think he would have to do it overseas, away from the UK, because I think it would do him good to be away from his own future subjects so he'll get a sense of his place in the wider scheme of things. I don't think it would hurt for him to be studying and competing with people who don't think he's particularly important and who'll tell him what they really think.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

It might be a bad idea to study politics, bearing in mind the trouble his papa has.

Fair or not, degrees gained overseas are not considered to be as 'real' by many.
IMO, he would do better to do a couple more years in the army, learning some of the admin trades, some time in the city and perhaps 'shadowing' his father. Then in a few years, start to do his own royal duties.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by laduchesse View Post
I think it would be an asset if Prince William in future years had some training related to foreign affairs as well as commerce. It would be good to see him accompany the Queen or Prince Charles on visits to other countries. I'd like to see the Prince participate in state visits to Britain, including state banquets, in the next few years too.
I am behind you. It is a good idea for Prince William to learn about culture differences in a multicultural society. Not only commonwealth countries but European countries, Asian countries and African countries as well. It will boarden his ideas about the world. He will have chance to stand on a world stage to witness different cultures but I hope that he can understand these cultures and even ideologies without baises. He may talk to Prince Charles because his father does have wide experience of the world.

In addition, I think Prince William should learn some social communication skills to express himself and his ideas in proper contexts by using proper words.

He probably has so many to do!
Old 04-13-2008, 10:20 PM
Courtier

What I kind of fear for William is that he's being encouraged, even if indirectly, to lead a sort of aimless life. I think if I knew I'd have to wait a possible thirty or forty years for my "real job", it would put a damper on any motivation I had. It's an inevitable problem with being the son of the Prince of Wales, I guess. The best he can do to prepare for his job as king is to get all kinds of diverse "experiences" and that's not really quite the same as steady work, in my mind--not necessarily too productive.

At one time I agreed with everyone who said, "William's still young", but now I'm thinking, he's almost 26. He's not that young anymore. But whenever I see interviews with him, he comes across as this breezy, carefree, almost childish young man. I haven't seen evidence of a whole lot of maturity, thoughtfulness or direction. I like William. I'm just not sure he has any real passion or goal in life to motivate him, and I don't think this is ever a good thing.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
It might be a bad idea to study politics, bearing in mind the trouble his papa has.

Fair or not, degrees gained overseas are not considered to be as 'real' by many.
IMO, he would do better to do a couple more years in the army, learning some of the admin trades, some time in the city and perhaps 'shadowing' his father. Then in a few years, start to do his own royal duties.
I agree with that why doesn't the Royal Family see it that ie his father. Since that way he would have time in the military.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Aristocracy

I agree, rmay, that William doesn't really seem to have an ambition or interest (yet) at least none that we would know of. By his own words he's very keen about flying but then what could he really make out of this? In no way would he be allowed to become a professional pilot since that would be far too dangerous, IMO. It must be difficult to find something he can pursue that would both interest him and be a preparation for his future role but without overstepping the boundaries set to royals and/or stealing his father's limelight. Almost impossible. Normally they would have left him with the military but if he's not allowed to see active duty because of security issues, that's sort of pointless for him, too, and would only frustrate him. If he solely focuses on charity work, he'll overshadow his father even more and I don't think William wants that. Any "normal" job is out of the question. The only idea I could come up with was work in the diplomatic services. A good preparation for a furture monarch, yet a job "behind the scenes" but whether that's a field he might be interested in, I don't know of course.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:54 AM

I think he could continue with the military training because it's interesting for his future hole as king, but not to go to the war, like prince harry, it's so dangerous. but I don't know if he could be frustrated cause he knows he can't do what he wants like normal people can. he was born for a hole, a duty and now he has to play it. I think he should marry with Kate after the end of his military training (RAF and navy) and maybe go to the university to study something like laws, politic or economics, it could be important for his future hole as king. but I don't really know what his interests now.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Nobility

I now his is his father or the Queen may want him to him to get full time Royal Duties as soon as possible at 25 but I would thought that they planned so he had more time with each service. He should have had at least three years with the Army which might meant that he could have done arould six months with each the RAF and the Royal Navy. That mean finishing Dec/Jan 2009/2010 instead of Dec/Jan 2008/2009.
Did just haveitroyble laying anchor with th Maul? Is that reall y that big a deal except that he has buy every one beer.

Tags
armed services, career, government, prince william, royal duties