The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 06:57 AM
Courtier

The TV footage did give me a good impression about Kate Middleton dealt with the ppaparazzi with discretion. It is very difficult for her of course but she seems to learn to live with it. And she was quite elegent and cheerful in in the parade. I don't have deep feelings for young generations yet but I hope that they can do everything to preserve the monarchy.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_cc
The TV footage did give me a good impression about Kate Middleton dealt with the ppaparazzi with discretion. It is very difficult for her of course but she seems to learn to live with it. And she was quite elegent and cheerful in in the parade. I don't have deep feelings for young generations yet but I hope that they can do everything to preserve the monarchy.
Yeah well said. If she can put up with them she can put up with anything!

Old 01-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Commoner

It seems that she's doing fine so far. Just checking the pictures, she's not "HUNGRY" for media attention which is a good point for her, considering how strict is the RF. I think she's learning to cope with the fact she's popular by association (in this case because she's the girlfriend of the future King of England).

I don't have nothing against her, she seems to be a nice girl, discret, classy, and this could be a new fresh air for the british monarchy.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Serene Highness

This article's from USA Today, a main US newspaper.

It argues how different Kate Middleton is to Diana. Whereas, the paper says, young Diana offered 'a combination of being flirtatious with the press, as well as a vulnerable quality", Kate doesn't. I couldn't agree more.

Also, and this is in the eye of the beholder, there are two pictures accompanying the article, one of Diana next to one of Kate. They show, to me, the amazing charisma Diana already had pre-Charles. And it shows Kate's utter lack, imo, of said charisma. That is, she can't hold a candle in that department, to Diana. Look at the article and you'll see what I mean I think.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...tm?POE=LIFISVA
Old 01-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga

It argues how different Kate Middleton is to Diana. Whereas, the paper says, young Diana offered 'a combination of being flirtatious with the press, as well as a vulnerable quality", Kate doesn't. I couldn't agree more.

Also, and this is in the eye of the beholder, there are two pictures accompanying the article, one of Diana next to one of Kate. They show, to me, the amazing charisma Diana already had pre-Charles. And it shows Kate's utter lack, imo, of said charisma. That is, she can't hold a candle in that department, to Diana. Look at the article and you'll see what I mean I think.

I think you have a point, princess olga. Kate looks sure of herself and she doesn't look vulnerable at all whereas Diana looked like she was getting ready to cry in that picture.

If that's charisma, I'm not really sure Kate should have that much charisma. Women that marry Windsor men, I think, need to be strong as oxen to survive in that family.

I think more innate self-confidence, less vulnerability, fewer emotional rollercoasters, more common sense, more loyalty much as we see in Princess Anne will work better for a woman marrying into the Windsors and marrying William.

It may not make for very exciting headlines though.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Aristocracy

Argh! She is not a replacement because she's not his mother! Why don't they pay attention to what they're saying?

Edit: I was so annoyed with the press, I forgot the other thing I wanted to say, which is that perhaps it's a good thing if the new generation is less charismatic and drama-prone. It may help prevent the growing Pop Idol approach to the monarchy. I mean, these days the minute a story about the royals hits the wires, everyone's trying to vote them up or down instantly.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I think you have a point, princess olga. Kate looks sure of herself and she doesn't look vulnerable at all whereas Diana looked like she was getting ready to cry in that picture.

If that's charisma, I'm not really sure Kate should have that much charisma. Women that marry Windsor men, I think, need to be strong as oxen to survive in that family.

I think more innate self-confidence, less vulnerability, fewer emotional rollercoasters, more common sense, more loyalty much as we see in Princess Anne will work better for a woman marrying into the Windsors and marrying William.

It may not make for very exciting headlines though.
Getting ready to cry because she's "bored to tears". Caption could be "ok, when is this going to be over, so I can leave". Not much charisma in that particular photo.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:14 AM
Serene Highness

At the end of the day they are two total diffrent women , dont see the point in conpairing really, makes us just as bad as the newspaper's !
Old 01-11-2007, 06:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
My opinion has probably changed over time, unlike BeatrixFan's it's been the opposite. I like Kate alot less now, than in the past. The more I read about her and see her, the less I like her. She often seems incredibly smug in photographs these days.
I was so astonished when I saw the TV coverage of her walk to her car on her birthday because I had only seen the picture in Hello! before. There she looked thoroughly amused or smug - as you say. But when I saw the reality on TV I realised that a photographer had only captured a fleeting impression in one picture of her getting into the car looking smiling: because on TV you could see that she was not smiling at all! I stopped to trust the pictures and the explanation in the caption a long time ago but this really was stunning.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Interesting. I see it completely different. IMHO Diana is looking artificial while Catherine seems to radiate youth, health and self-confidence.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
Interesting. I see it completely different. IMHO Diana is looking artificial while Catherine seems to radiate youth, health and self-confidence.
Yes, me too. Kate looks to me as a confident and natural human being while it looks like Diana is striking a pose...
Old 01-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

As many are saying, it shows how differently people 'see' things. I see no charisma, just a sullen young woman, with an expression best described as 'if looks could kill'.

Catherine on the other hand, looks fresh faced, happy, confident and smiling for her prince, not the cameras.

It is just as well we don't all like the same thing!
Old 01-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
As many are saying, it shows how differently people 'see' things. I see no charisma, just a sullen young woman, with an expression best described as 'if looks could kill'.

Catherine on the other hand, looks fresh faced, happy, confident and smiling for her prince, not the cameras.

at last someone who talks sense !! thank you for that Sky dragon!
Old 01-11-2007, 11:04 AM

I agree. I never bought the Diana panda eyes coy look. It always seemed false to me but with Kate, she has a look of, "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough" which I like.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon

I don't think it is fair to compare to totally different personalities. There is also a 6 year difference in ages at the time the pictures were taken. Diana was 19. Kate is almost 25. I know I matured a lot in that 6 year time span.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennyllorac
I don't think it is fair to compare to totally different personalities. There is also a 6 year difference in ages at the time the pictures were taken. Diana was 19. Kate is almost 25. I know I matured a lot in that 6 year time span.
And even if they were the same age, being 19 in 1980 and being 19 in 2007 are very different things. (Or 25 in 1980 and 25 in 2007)
Old 01-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
My opinion has probably changed over time, unlike BeatrixFan's it's been the opposite. I like Kate alot less now, than in the past. The more I read about her and see her, the less I like her. She often seems incredibly smug in photographs these days.

No offense, but I don't see what you're talking about. If I had people constantly taking my picture and camped outside my house, I wouldn't have a smile on my face 24-7. Unless of course you want her smiling like an idiot all day just in case a paparazzo snaps the shutter on her.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Courtier

No, no, no! Diana and Kate are not comparable; however I bet there is somethin of Diana in Kate otherwise William wouldn´t have chosen her, somethin a psycoloist could explain better.

But no there is no comparison! in order to compar Kate and Diana we would also have to compare Charles and William and they are so different... anyway no is not comparable!
Old 01-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennyllorac
I don't think it is fair to compare to totally different personalities.
The pictures were not chosen by me, they were from the USA link and I was pointing out that we all see different things when we look at a person or their photo.

I agree they have totally different personalities from what we have seen and why I put, "It is just as well we don't all like the same thing"!
Old 01-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Nobility

Diana had charisma and the classification is not derived wholly from one photograph such as the one posted here with the one of Catherine's. Look at a whole spread of pictures and video footages after she became a princess and the classification is justified.

Catherine is a different personality, pretty and from a more ordinary background whose parents made it to the millionaire league..

Both got catapulted into the limelight by their association with one in line to the British throne. At which stage they are photographed with various expressions Diana looking coy, Catherine may look smug. Well what do we expect?...when one's status within 'the firm' isn't established yet.

But I feel that Catherine is well and truly on her way there now. She will stamp her mark in her own way and in the process create her own accolade.

Tags
kate middleton, prince william