The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
BTW, apart from his looks, which are getting more Windsor-ish as he gets older IMO, I don't see a lot of Diana in William. He seems to have a firmer grounding in common sense than either of his parents, between Diana's emotional issues and Charles's tendency to mysticism.

I see more of Charles in William than Diana, IMO. As far as boring, per Beatrix, I also see William in Charles as Charles has at times been accused of being so dreary and boring by Diana.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Aristocracy

I have alot more respect for Kate than I used too. I used to think she was kinda plain and stuck up. But more and more i realize that she has/is dealing with alot. She is regular person just like the rest of us, dealing with the good and bad stuff that comes our way.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Gentry

Has it changed? Not really since i never really had an opinion of her---
I HOPE she will prove to be an asset to the royal family, William and England if she becomes his wife.('course not in that particular order of precedence )
But honestly i have no opinion - i dont know a thing about her, know non of her qualities other than what one can assume from pictures and we all know that that is shakey ground for the foundation of an opinion of someone
So, if they get engaged i will look forward to "getting to know" Catherine Middleton.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

I really don't have an opoinion of kate because I don't know anything about her. But I believe that she will do good things for the royal family.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Serene Highness

Sam, dear! Are you okay?
What a surprising opinion. I have to admit that I don't have much of a firm opinion of Kate yet, but she strikes me as a serious person. I always thought she looked a bit like the Dutch princess Aimee and that was at least one positive point.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Commoner

I just came back from London a few weeks ago and it was the first time I had seen pictures of Kate. I had only heard about her. I still haven't come up with an opinion of her. I guess I am going to have to keep an eye out for her to see if I can make decide. I just don't like it how they compare her to Diana. They are two different people.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Commoner

I haven't changed my opinion either. I believe Kate actively studied what she had to do to get William. She is tenacious,and won't stop until she has achieved her goal. What she will turn out to be later is anyone's guess,as she can't play her role forever. I guess it really is only her and the prince in the end,but I would like to see him married to a woman more secure in her own position,not one to whom his position means everything.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rani
I haven't changed my opinion either. I believe Kate actively studied what she had to do to get William. She is tenacious,and won't stop until she has achieved her goal. What she will turn out to be later is anyone's guess,as she can't play her role forever. I guess it really is only her and the prince in the end,but I would like to see him married to a woman more secure in her own position,not one to whom his position means everything.
uhm¿ are you sayin she had like an evil plan on how to conquer William´s heart¿
Old 01-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrilo
uhm¿ are you sayin she had like an evil plan on how to conquer William´s heart¿
No rani is saying that he/she thinks that Kate had an evil plan. And that's just as hard to prove as saying that Kate doesn't like to eat cauliflower. The future will tell us what this turns out to be. I'm quite curious, actually.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH_Liz
I just don't like it how they compare her to Diana. They are two different people.
Well said. I guess this is just a natural thing for the press to do, but it is rude---comparing a son's girlfriend to his late-mother who was a well-loved media figure who died young. IMO, it is in poor taste.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Courtier

Well, Beatrix Fan, you were the last person I would have thought would end up liking Kate. How fitting that you changed your avatar also.

I am sorry to say I've never really cared for Kate, but if she does marry William, then fine, I hope she will do a good job and be a good asset to the family. She still strikes me as the "gold digger" type. I sincerely hope I'm wrong though. So I guess I'm one of the few that still doesn't like her.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZandraRae
Well, Beatrix Fan, you were the last person I would have thought would end up liking Kate. How fitting that you changed your avatar also.

I am sorry to say I've never really cared for Kate, but if she does marry William, then fine, I hope she will do a good job and be a good asset to the family. She still strikes me as the "gold digger" type. I sincerely hope I'm wrong though. So I guess I'm one of the few that still doesn't like her.

I think William knows how to suss out a gold digger and even if she was.....she certainly doesn't have the appearances of one. In that I mean, I haven't read about her getting expensive jewelery from him, or a new car or endless shopping trips with the Prince's credit card or other such gifts. She's gone on vacation with him I think, but that was with a bunch of other people. You can't say that just because she's with a wealthy man, she's only in it for the cash. I'm sure she knows he has money, but she doesn't seem to be with him for that. If she was, I think they would have gone Splitsville by now.

Just my humble opinion.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprincess
Well said. I guess this is just a natural thing for the press to do, but it is rude---comparing a son's girlfriend to his late-mother who was a well-loved media figure who died young. IMO, it is in poor taste.
It's not just in poor taste, it's incredibly creepy. It's like they don't even notice the revolting Oedipal overtones they're trying to impose on the relationship!
Old 01-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiyo
It's not just in poor taste, it's incredibly creepy. It's like they don't even notice the revolting Oedipal overtones they're trying to impose on the relationship!
If it's the press we're talking about, I doubt their thoughts would be of such a profound nature. I suspect their thinking extends no deeper than: We were able to manipulate Diana's popularity and turn her into a souce of lots of money for us; William is Diana's son; William has a girlfriend; we can capitalise on the link to Diana and manipulate William's girlfriend's popularity and turn her into a source of lots of money for us.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
If it's the press we're talking about, I doubt their thoughts would be of such a profound nature. I suspect their thinking extends no deeper than: We were able to manipulate Diana's popularity and turn her into a souce of lots of money for us; William is Diana's son; William has a girlfriend; we can capitalise on the link to Diana and manipulate William's girlfriend's popularity and turn her into a source of lots of money for us.
I know. And even if they were to think of it, they wouldn't care. I think after a while in the tabloid business, one becomes so cynical that the people they write about cease seeming humans and just become subjects. It's the kind of dissociation that allows them to be so cruel.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

All things considered, Kate is dealing with this better than I would be. Now, I know that's not saying much, but it's the truth. No matter how much I love someone, I couldn't handle having people snapping my picture all the time, newspapers running articles about me, people speculating about me online.....it would drive me batty. It shows an immense strength of character in her to say "I love this man, so I will put up with all that surrounds him just to be with him." I'll always give her credit for that.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Aristocracy

Yeah, I suspect I would have gone hog-wild with a taser or decided to play Indiana Jones with a whip long before now.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Nobility

I agree Sister Morphine. My hunch and hope is that this girl is special. She conducts herself with such dignity and grace under stressful situations. She is a credit to herself and to her parents' upbringing. That she hasn't said (within earshot anyway) "naff off" (I think that's the term Princess Anne used) to the press yet is a credit to her.

Of course in the beginning the cameras would be a little unsettling. I remember the early days of something my firm was involved in and the press circus (even more than those camped out in front of Kate's home today) was set up outside of the client's building for weeks on end. Every time our driver pulled up in front of the building the press was all over us like a swarm of bees -- I literally BOLTED from the car into the building until they finally realized I was a nobody. So I can understand how cameras jammed in your face can be scary. If I were Kate I might try very light banter with them, or as a one-time joke bring them tea & cookies like Martha Stewart did for the stalking paparazzi on her property the day she was released from jail. They're not going to go away, but you can try to get them on your side with a sense of humor.

Anyway, Kate needs a professional PR person/publicist, not Clarence House or any other House, who seem to be clueless about PR and how to handle the press. Threatened litigation doesn't cut it, the press have better lawyers than anything Clarence House or Prince Charles or the Queen for that matter can come up with. First, Kate and William need to cool it on the club scene or really go undercover. Second, she's got to move -- remaining in her apartment is no longer tenable. Not fair to her neighbors. She needs to live in some sort of building that has underground or gated entrances/exits, if that sort of thing exists in London. Third, her parents and William should split the cost of a professional driver with experience SAFELY eluding paparazzi. And finally, this will be humiliating to Kate, but she and William should issue a statement saying they have no plans to marry in the foreseeable future, as William has his military obligation and Kate wants to pursue a career. Perhaps no one would believe them and we all know it's a lie, but they should issue a statement anyway. That would perhaps buy them time.

But someone has got to do something -- because anytime Keith Olbermann is talking about Prince William and Kate Middleton on his show and I'm reading about them at HuffingtonPost.com, I know things are out of control over there in London.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:04 AM
Nobility

i have alot of respect for kate cos of all she has to deal with the paparazzi and most importantly, she didnt ask for all the attention. it just came to her cos she's prince william's girlfriend. quite impressed that she hasnt broken up with him and she continues to put up with all the press annoyances for him.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:56 AM
Heir Apparent

My opinion has probably changed over time, unlike BeatrixFan's it's been the opposite. I like Kate alot less now, than in the past. The more I read about her and see her, the less I like her. She often seems incredibly smug in photographs these days.

Tags
kate middleton, prince william