Harry's Night in Vegas: August 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An Ard Ri said:
And not even headline news,I think the big cat search in Essex is getting more attention than Prince Harry :D

Indeed. Front page of the DM today is about an evil NHS doctor, The Sun runs a story about a footballers cousin stealing money from the dead.

I haven't seen or read anything about Harry since Friday.

The Prince of Wales receives tax payer money through Grants- In - Aid which upkeep the palaces in which Prince Harry lives. And yes, the tax payers pay for a security team to keep him safe 24/7. So, the tax payers are paying to secure Prince Harry while he is partying in Vegas with total strangers and embarrassing himself, the Queen, and his country.

Actually, none of the funds from Grant-In-Aid could possibly be used to either aid or abet Harry's lifestyle. Charles' primary and most used income comes from the Duchy of Cornwall. I believe, IIRC, that Harry has an apartment at Clarence House but will be moving into the cottage that Wills and Kate now occupy when they move into the larger, newly renovated apartment that used to be Margaret's at KP.

"While The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall do not receive money from the Civil List (the money provided by Parliament from the income from the Crown Estate to meet the official expenses of The Queen's Household so that Her Majesty can fulfil her role as Head of State and Head of the Commonwealth), the Grants-In-Aid paid to The Queen’s Household are used, in part, to support their official working activities."

The Prince of Wales - Income

Indeed. Front page of the DM today is about an evil NHS doctor, The Sun runs a story about a footballers cousin stealing money from the dead.

I haven't seen or read anything about Harry since Friday.

There's been a bit here and there on Huffington Post that I've seen but nothing really earth shattering worth bringing over to these threads. The major story going on here is Hurricane Isaac. I think Harry stories about Vegas are about to be relegated to the ancient history files. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think its so much about morals but about security. Instead of camera phones, these girls could have carried weapons or drugs.

A question that's always been floating for me, given these girls were 'bikini clad': from exactly where did these women pull their cell phones? I don't see a lot of options.

Its beyond believe that the security guards didnt collect the phones or had a closer look at strangers being picked up on the street or bar or wherever to come to the suite to party.

Ahem *cough* I think they were having a 'closer look'.

BTW I find the double standard repellant - and that women engage in calling other women 'slags' and what all, sad in the extreme. As for the German 'joke' - the imbedded bias is that a woman should give it away free, i guess. There should be a name as equally charged as 'prostitute' to describe the man doing the offering - 'john'?

If Harry wanted privacy he could have repaired back to Necker and continued his blow-out there. He didn't. He wanted a more public venue. He got it. With all the risks implied. Consequences his.

Last edited:
I dont think its so much about morals but about security. Instead of camera phones, these girls could have carried weapons or drugs. Its beyond believe that the security guards didnt collect the phones or had a closer look at strangers being picked up on the street or bar or wherever to come to the suite to party.

Do we really know what happened as the guests entered the private suite protected by the protection officers? I imagine that the girls were carrying their purses (what woman really goes anywhere without one?) and for all we know, all guests could have been searched for as you say, weapons but they didn't confiscate the cell phones.

All we really know of what happened at the private party is what has been released such as naked billiards, naked photos etc. We weren't given exact details of what the protection officers did or didn't do during this time. Does anyone know the protocol of what the protection officers are required to do?

Actually, none of the funds from Grant-In-Aid could possibly be used to either aid or abet Harry's lifestyle. Charles' primary and most used income comes from the Duchy of Cornwall. I believe, IIRC, that Harry has an apartment at Clarence House but will be moving into the cottage that Wills and Kate now occupy when they move into the larger, newly renovated apartment that used to be Margaret's at KP.

"While The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall do not receive money from the Civil List (the money provided by Parliament from the income from the Crown Estate to meet the official expenses of The Queen's Household so that Her Majesty can fulfil her role as Head of State and Head of the Commonwealth), the Grants-In-Aid paid to The Queen’s Household are used, in part, to support their official working activities."

The Prince of Wales - Income

If you keep reading you will find:
"Grants-in-Aid cover three areas: travel by air and rail on official business, the upkeep of Royal palaces, and communications. Government departments also meet directly some other costs incurred by Their Royal Highnesses in their work to support The Queen as Head of State, including the provision of staff on secondment from the Armed Services, some costs of official overseas visits, and the cost of police security."

Yes, I apologize, Prince Harry is still according to the PoW website officially residing at Clarence House. The upkeep of Clarence House (current official residence) and Kensington Palace (future official residence) are paid for from Grants-In-Aid. And then there is the cost of protecting him 24/7 thereby securing his lifestyle.

So, yes, public funds are "aiding and abetting" his lifestyle.

I wonder why some people got so much more fussed about Harry in Vegas than they did about the shootings in Colorado and Wisconsin? 40 pages on Harry compared to tragic shootings does seem a bit of an overreaction.

This is simply Harry - no respect for women and very little for anyone else either.

Do these girls have any respect for themselves? A person having a little bit of respect form him/herself wouldn't prostitute him/herself like that. I'm not defending Harry at all, because a 28 y/o person should be apprised of his/her deeds.

I wonder why some people got so much more fussed about Harry in Vegas than they did about the shootings in Colorado and Wisconsin? 40 pages on Harry compared to tragic shootings does seem a bit of an overreaction.

Well this is a Royal forum, not a current events forum. If I want to post my opinions on things other than royal happenings, I tend not to do it here even if there is a thread dedicated to that subject. Most of the time I discuss those things with my family and friends.

No one in my "real life" gives a hoot about royalty so I come here to find out about and discuss the royals.. I come to this particular forum because for the most part people are respectful and the moderators try to keep the conversation civil.

I avoid threads that don't interest me or I find no value in the discussion. But that's just me.

tea-n-tiaras said:
The upkeep of Clarence House (current official residence) and Kensington Palace (future official residence) are paid for from Grants-In-Aid. And then there is the cost of protecting him 24/7 thereby securing his lifestyle.

So, yes, public funds are "aiding and abetting" his lifestyle.

Grants-In-Aid as you have pointed out are used for the upkeep of palaces, of which Henry is not the only person who lives in them. The taxpayer pays for his security, of which we pay for the majority of the senior royals security.

How exactly are we aiding and abetting his lifestyle? Other than up keeping palaces and paying for royal security? Do we give money to a holiday fund we don't know about?

Harry should state that he will never take a drink of alcohol again, because he sees what it does to him, especially his judgement. He is "allergic", better word "sensitive" to alcohol and it makes him behave this way, whatever you call "this way". If he doesn't do anything else for his country, the monarchy, and himself, it would be a contribution for him to swear off alcohol. He doesn't need it to lead an interesting life. He already has an interesting life, and it could be very much more interesting if he got straight on this and reexamined his values.
I can barely understand the comments on how Harry might have done this to make sure the girls at home knew he was not ready for marriage. If marriage is such a desperate situation for Harry--to be feared--so badly, maybe he should start thinking about finding a worthy life partner, and being alcohol free would help him find such a partner.
He probably should marry fairly soon, and if the only way to do it is to resign the army and work "at home" for his family, that would be a positive step. But who is helping Harry think straight? He sure needs a mentor. A guide. Maybe even a clergyman.

It seems you have many plans for Harry's future. I don't think that is the role of ANYONE but Harry and possibly his Father/Brother.

Grants-In-Aid as you have pointed out are used for the upkeep of palaces, of which Henry is not the only person who lives in them. The taxpayer pays for his security, of which we pay for the majority of the senior royals security.

How exactly are we aiding and abetting his lifestyle? Other than up keeping palaces and paying for royal security? Do we give money to a holiday fund we don't know about?

We have to remember also that places like Buckingham Palace and Kensington Palace are not only used as residences for the royals and staff but they are also historic buildings and are open for public tours. They are not paying to maintain the residences solely for the purpose of use by the RF. Harry is but one little fishie residing in a big fishbowl when it comes to residences.

Compare it with how the US president lives in the White House. His apartments are but a small part of what is inside the White House.

When you are a government employee, you take an oath to maintain a certain moral standard. In the US, ANY government employee would at a minimum be repremanded and at the maximum fired if publicly caught doing what Harry did. Officers in the military and management level are held especially accountable.You are representing your country;even when on home soil. Harry is a prince, an officer and in a foreign country. In addition we are not allowed to accept free gifts. He would probably be dishonorably discharged in the US.

Here is my original statement. "The Prince of Wales receives tax payer money through Grants- In - Aid which upkeep the palaces in which Prince Harry lives. And yes, the tax payers pay for a security team to keep him safe 24/7. So, the tax payers are paying to secure Prince Harry while he is partying in Vegas with total strangers and embarrassing himself, the Queen, and his country."

"Aid and Abet" were Osipi's word choice.

Why are people trying to avoid admitting that the British public is securing and helping to support Prince Harry? If someone pays for upkeep on my home and for a security team to travel around with me 24/7 then they are helping support my lifestyle. It is pretty simple.
We have to remember also that places like Buckingham Palace and Kensington Palace are not only used as residences for the royals and staff but they are also historic buildings and are open for public tours. They are not paying to maintain the residences solely for the purpose of use by the RF. Harry is but one little fishie residing in a big fishbowl when it comes to residences.

Compare it with how the US president lives in the White House. His apartments are but a small part of what is inside the White House.
Yes, the President of the U.S. lives in the White House, which the public funds. He also has security paid for 24/7 by the public. Those are true statements. Those are two ways in which we help support the president's lifestyle while he is president.

tea-n-tiaras said:
Why are people trying to avoid admitting that the British public is securing and helping to support Prince Harry? If someone pays for upkeep on my home and for a security team to travel around with me 24/7 then they are helping support my lifestyle. It is pretty simple.

Because Henry going to Vegas and posing naked is not a lifestyle. We pay for ROYAL security and ROYAL homes, my money does not go in Henry's pocket for him to spend on booze, same as it doesn't go to Charles to plant vegetables or for Elizabeth to buy corgis with. I don't agree that having security and living in a palace led Henry to go to Vegas, this was a holiday not a lifestyle.

Last edited:
Well this is a Royal forum, not a current events forum. If I want to post my opinions on things other than royal happenings, I tend not to do it here even if there is a thread dedicated to that subject. Most of the time I discuss those things with my family and friends.

No one in my "real life" gives a hoot about royalty so I come here to find out about and discuss the royals.. I come to this particular forum because for the most part people are respectful and the moderators try to keep the conversation civil.

I avoid threads that don't interest me or I find no value in the discussion. But that's just me.

Exactly. Anyone who does not feel this thread worthy of their time are hardly forced to stay here and contribute to the page count.

a logical first step

Although we can't know for sure, many of us believe that alcohol presents problems for Prince Henry. And even though some here (and elsewhere) believe that Harry has done 'nothing wrong', others think that his actions are unacceptable and embarrassing to his family and his country.

He needs to do something- other than just staying out of sight- to show that he has broken from the patterns of behaviour he exhibited in Las Vegas.

I know more than I want to about young people and addictions of various kinds. And the first thing a person whose use of substances have hurt them needs to do is to enter rehab.

Harry could admit that he is powerless, and go to a clinic which helps people with addictions. It would almost certainly help him, it couldn't hurt him, and people would admire his forthrightness.

He could be an inspiration to others, and not just a joke.

My opinion only.

I wouldn't take the fact that he got drunk at a party in Vegas as indication that he has an addiction or needs to enter rehab. Sure, we know he likes a party and he may sometimes behave in ways that aren't to the liking of some of us, but I think it's a bit of a leap to assume that he has a serious problem or that he needs to go to rehab for the sake of setting an example.

Although we can't know for sure, many of us believe that alcohol presents problems for Prince Henry. And even though some here (and elsewhere) believe that Harry has done 'nothing wrong', others think that his actions are unacceptable and embarrassing to his family and his country.

My opinion only.

But most of those people, at least on these boards, do not appear to be citizens of the UK. JMO.

But most of those people, at least on these boards, do not appear to be citizens of the UK. JMO.

And that means we can't contribute to a discussion? I don't remember reading in the rules of this forum that we have to be citizens of the country in which the royal we are discussing resides. If that were the case, most of the threads on this forum would be much shorter.

I am not the least bit offended, or scandalized, with Harry's behavior in Vegas. It's pretty much what I expected. Shocking to some I'm sure because I live in the USA and we must all find his behavior scandalous. However, I am enjoying hearing what other people think about this situation.

Exactly. Anyone who does not feel this thread worthy of their time are hardly forced to stay here and contribute to the page count.

And for those contributing to this thread please stick to the facts and keep the discussion civilised .

And for those contributing to this thread please stick to the facts and keep the discussion civilised .

My apologies if I have offended anyone with my posts. That was not my intention.

The first step is admitting that there is a problem. Its the hardest step one has to take. No matter what popular consensus is or what anyone else thinks he should do, the only reason for Harry to ever step foot into a rehab is if he has taken that first step himself and enters solely for himself and no other reason. Recovery does not happen unless the person wants it.

There are a lot of alcoholics out there that are not drunks and a lot of drunks that are not alcoholics. Alcohol in itself is just a symptom of the disease.

When I was in my 20s, along with many friends, I was a weekend warrior and partying was the name of the game. I did a lot of stupid things. As we grew older, had kids and settled down, we remember the "good ol' days" while drinking our half a can of beer. :)

I think the subject of Harry and alcohol is not for us to judge and muse about what he should or shouldn't do. Its his own personal decision and only he knows how it affects him.

And that means we can't contribute to a discussion? .

Did I say that??? No, I didn't think so.

I do however believe that the opinions of his fellow citizens on how he serves his family, the military and the nation are more relevant. JMO.

Elenath said:
Tiger used them as much as they used him. My point is, women are judged more harshly than men. If this had been exactly the other way around, if Beatrice or Eugenie had done this with men they didn't know. They would have been blamed for everything while the men would have been congratulated for getting so lucky.

And honestly... If I had been offered several million (or however much it is now) I might have sold those photo's as well. That''s an end to trouble, more chances and an easier life for a lot of people.

I don't care what chromosomes the person has, making a buck off of someone roses embarrassment is disgusting and low. It's sad that this is where we have come to, integrity and human decency is out the door, all in favor of making money. I don't know if this trend has taken hold in England where a girl has an indiscretion with a famous person and then decides to make money off of it; though I do remember the Rebecca Loos situation a few years back.
The last man I recall who prostituted himself go make a buck off and sell his story was the guy who clAimed to be sleeping with Carolyn Bessett while she was married to JFK Jr. I thought his behavior was just as disgusting as this girls.

Last edited:
When you are a government employee, you take an oath to maintain a certain moral standard. In the US, ANY government employee would at a minimum be repremanded and at the maximum fired if publicly caught doing what Harry did. Officers in the military and management level are held especially accountable.You are representing your country;even when on home soil. Harry is a prince, an officer and in a foreign country. In addition we are not allowed to accept free gifts. He would probably be dishonorably discharged in the US.

I'm sorry, but Harry was in his private hotel room!! He was in a suite to which he controlled access; it was not a public place. If I invite someone I meet into my house, does it suddenly become a public place? No it bloody well doesn't.

Why on earth should Harry be dishonourably discharged? He invited a couple of, it now appears, totally unscrupulous money-grabbing women to his room for a private party. He clearly didn't know just how disgusting these women were when he invited them up and I'll bet he regrets it now. While there he did nothing illegal or immoral. People have been getting drunk and then getting naked in one another's company since the dawn of time.

If an off duty soldier, most likely on leave ahead of a tour of duty in a deadly warzone, decides to have a few drinks and a bit of fun in his hotel room with a woman he's just met, how on earth is that anyone's business but his?

It's possible that things are different in the UK armed forces, (I doubt it), but I know in the Canadian forces there's a very, very fine line between public and private life, especially for officers. The expectation is that an officer will conduct him or herself in a way that is a credit to the armed forces at all times. End of story. That's not to say that bad behaviour doesn't happen, but if you're stupid enough, (or, if you want, unlucky enough), to get caught then whining that your embarrassing behaviour was meant to be private isn't going to get you very far.

FanofMonaco was simply explaining what would probably happen to a U.S. soldier, sailor, or airman in the same situation. I don't see where it was stated that Harry should be dishonorably discharged. It was information, not an ostracism.

I don't think anyone approves of the photos being released. However, I need to know people a little better before I take off my clothes. BTW, it has been that some 25 people were invited to his room.

I'm sure there is more to come, but the titillation is fading fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom