Harry's Night in Vegas: August 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely you must be exaggerating?

I think I have seen the photos tihkon2 is referring to...I am passionately interested in the ill-fated Romanovs and I own several books about them.

There is a coffee table book called The Lost World of Nicholas and Alexandra or something like that...Tsar Nicky apparently liked to swim nude in the Gulf of Finland while on holiday. And there is a photographic record of it.

Let's just say his late Imperial Majesty was in great shape and leave it at that. :cool:

leene...Harry was not having sex in those photos.

I think I have seen the photos tihkon2 is referring to...I am passionately interested in the ill-fated Romanovs and I own several books about them.
There is a coffee table book called The Lost World of Nicholas and Alexandra or something like that...Tsar Nicky apparently liked to swim nude in the Gulf of Finland while on holiday. And there is a photographic record of it.

I see.

In the Gulf of Finland you say? I'm surprised there'd have been much to 'spy' given how cold it can get!

And in comparison to what Edward VII would have done in his youth, I think Henry is relatively tame. Those Victorian's were a depraved lot when it came to nudity, alcohol, sex and gambling. Times are of course changed but it would seem every generation has them.

I'm new here but the way I look at it is this...his Mom is probably smiling down with pride while his Grandmother is probably crapping in her Depends. Who cares! This is what Vegas is for, what did everyone think he would be going for? To hang out with Siegfried and Roy and their Tigers? You go to Vegas to party and partying was done.

The only question I have is....I thought they had protection? They had guards that were present all the time, so why weren't cell phones taken upon entering the room? Obviously we all know by now that it was probably one of the girls he invited up who snapped the photos, so why were they able to carry their recording cell phones in the rooms? Wouldn't that be considered a security breach for crap like this?

I don't think this can be put on the protection officers. Their job is to protect him from danger, not babysit him.

I don't think this can be put on the protection officers. Their job is to protect him from danger, not babysit him.

I'm not trying to put it on the officers, I am just trying to understand their job. Don't they usually clean up messes and try taking care of them when they are completely intoxicated to the point they are not making good decisions? Which could be why these pics are out there because maybe he just got too drunk and was unable to make good decisions for himself. Do they usually step in? I'm just asking to better understand it.

I see.

In the Gulf of Finland you say? I'm surprised there'd have been much to 'spy' given how cold it can get!

And in comparison to what Edward VII would have done in his youth, I think Henry is relatively tame. Those Victorian's were a depraved lot when it came to nudity, alcohol, sex and gambling. Times are of course changed but it would seem every generation has them.

I have been reading excerpts from the new book on the life of Edward VII that has been serialised in the London Daily Mail...God you are NOT exaggerating.

"Bertie" made Harry and the many of the current lot of Royal men look like Sunday school parsons! :eek:

For the record I agree with the poster who said many of Harry's bad decisions center around booze...a while back he leapt into a fountain fully clothed with a bevy of young women when he had been drinking(in the Czech Republic?)..and I remember reading that he almost accidently knocked down a young lady he was dancing with too vigorously after he had drank one too many at his brother's wedding night dance.

There is also a photo of him stumbling drunk out of a nightclub with one of his York cousins and he has drink spilled down the front of his shirt.

Last edited:
after all is said and done (at least it's giving us here something to talk about) i think this Vegas-stuff will not have a lot of impact; not nearly up on the same level as the nazi-outfit or the racial remarks (like someone posted earlier, he just seems not really public savvy)(was said better before :) )

when he eventually ends up settling done (by the looks of it could take another 5-10 years :) ) then these pics will pop up again, along with some other embarrassing stuff he'll do in the years to come..

Have no fear. Unlike good old Harry, I have better judgment skills. ;)

It was a joke.

And here I was thinking jokes were supposed to be humerous ;) My bad.

For the record I agree with the poster who said many of Harry's bad decisions center around booze...a while back he leapt into a fountain fully clothed with a bevy of young women when he had been drinking(in the Czech Republic?)..and I remember reading that he almost accidently knocked down a young lady he was dancing with too vigorously after he had drank one too many at his brother's wedding night dance.

There is a photo of him stumbling drunk out of a nightclub with one of his York cousins and he has drink spilled down the front of his shirt.

Then if he cannot hold his own, he should steer clear of it. Obviously he is a keen social drinker but when he drinks he evidently either drinks to excess and cannot self manage or is unable to hold it.

This is perhaps something which needs to be addressed with those closest to him. I remember those photo's from some years back of Henry in the gutter having left a nigh club and then stumbling, poorly, into a car. The problem, from my view point, is that he is still acting in a way that cannot solely be attributed to his youth anymore. And what of self descipline? Surely a military serviceman should know a thing or two about that.

He's a fine specimen, of that there is no doubt, but he's about to turn 28 and is still acting out like a 19 year old on occasion. Surely there comes a time when it is no longer socially appropriate to do so?

Last edited:
I'm not trying to put it on the officers, I am just trying to understand their job. Don't they usually clean up messes and try taking care of them when they are completely intoxicated to the point they are not making good decisions? Which could be why these pics are out there because maybe he just got too drunk and was unable to make good decisions for himself. Do they usually step in? I'm just asking to better understand it.

From what I've read (and I could be wrong), protection officers try and keep a bit of a distance. They don't want to intrude on the royals lifestyle. It's possible that they could have asked the women to give up their phones, but the women were under no obligation to comply.

Here's an interesting article about RPO's that appeared in the Dailymail in 2002.

As is the case with any other high-profile royal, the primary role of Harry's protection officers is to ensure his personal security in as discreet a way as possible.

They are not, say senior Scotland Yard sources, accountable for his 'moral welfare'. That is the responsibility of his father and his aides.

Carrying out their duties without being overly intrusive is a difficult balancing act at the best of times.

Our dilemma, by Harry's minders | Mail Online

Last edited:

Hi fashioncrazed - welcome to the Forums.

This is a quote from one of the more reliable papers in the UK - The Times.

"Prince Harry is accompanied by taxpayer-funded protection officers wherever he goes, but the Metropolitan Police Commissioner, Bernard Hogan-Howe, said they are there to provide security rather than act as a moral compass.

Questioned during a monthly meeting, he said: “Royal protection offcers are there to protect him for security reasons, they are not there to regulate his life. When more details come out we will have a look but it is not an issue for the Met.” (Met is abbreviation for Metropolitan Police).

Hope it answers your query

I have been reading excerpts from the new book on the life of Edward VII that have been serialised in the London Daily Mail...God you are NOT exaggerating.

"Bertie" made Harry and the many of the current lot of Royal men look like Sunday school parsons! :eek:

There is also a photo of him stumbling drunk out of a nightclub with one of his York cousins and he has drink spilled down the front of his shirt.
You're talking about when he went to Croatia, is my guess. He was drunk, lost balance, fell into the pool (he was dancing beside it), crawled out of it and continued dancing. Alone, might I add. There is a video somewhere.

Thanks Empress Merel...that's exactly the incident I was thinking of!

Anyway I remember reading online that there were young ladies present, but I could be wrong of course.

And here I was thinking jokes were supposed to be humerous ;) My bad.

Then if he cannot hold his own, he should steer clear of it. Obviously he is a keen social drinker but when he drinks he evidently either drinks to excess and cannot self manage or is unable to hold it.

This is perhaps something which needs to be addressed with those closest to him. I remember those photo's from some years back of Henry in the gutter having left a nigh club and then stumbling, poorly, into a car. The problem, from my view point, is that he is still acting in a way that cannot solely be attributed to his youth anymore. And what of self descipline? Surely a military serviceman should know a thing or two about that.

He's a fine specimen, of that there is no doubt, but he's about to turn 28 and is still acting out like a 19 year old on occasion. Surely there comes a time when it is no longer socially appropriate to do so?

Well, I can't argue with a single word you have posted, you make a lot of sense to be honest.

I loathe armchair psychology and generally try to avoid it. But I have always suspected that Harry deals with the submerged pain and trauma of the loss of his mother by drinking and acting out at times.

In the weeks and months that followed Diana's funeral I remember hearing or reading that the then 12-13 year old Harry was seen crying in class, and there was some discussion of pulling him out for the remainder of the term.

The idea was broached with the Prince of Wales, but the decision was made that Harry would stay at school and complete his term.

I felt then and I still feel that Charles did an amazing job as a single parent under the most horrible circumstances...but perhaps something in his younger son's emotional/psychological development went by him unaddressed? :sad:

Prince Harry is back to England.
TMZ has a video of him driving to the airport.

Prince Harry: security is a 'nightmare'

As third in line to the throne and part of the "inner" group of royals, he will be one of the best-protected members of the establishment. However, photographs released by celebrity website TMZ appearing to show the Prince naked but for some jewellery during a holiday in Las Vegas will raise questions over how closely he is monitored. Dai Davies, the former head of royal protection at the Metropolitan Police Service, said it was a job that required balancing the demands of his high-profile status with his youthful pursuits.

Captain Harry Wales should expect a severe dressing down from his commanding officer
Am I the only person who thinks Prince Harry has utterly disgraced himself in Las Vegas? The answer to that is, I suspect, no. Captain Wales, as he is known in the Army Air Corps, is likely to get a severe dressing down from his commanding officer when they next come face-to-face.

I think we need to be really careful when it comes to psychological evaluations of any member of the BRF. What we see in public isn't always how someone is in private. Besides, armchair psychology is difficult enough when you know someone. We don't know Harry.

I'm not psychoanalyzing the man, it is however evident that the consumption of alcohol is an ongoing issue. He quite clearly drinks to excess or cannot manage it and as such acts without inhibition.

Excuses cannot be forthcoming forever. It needs to be addressed.

Last edited:
Elenath I agree and that's why I said I generally avoid armchair analysis. But the Diana connection has crossed my mind on more than one occasion.

Thanks for the video Empress Merel. I suppose I should find Harry's behavior shocking but I can't help it...I like the kid...he makes me laugh!

Here is the thing with this whole bruhaha. Harry is 28 years old. Why does everyone still talk about him like he is a teenager. He 28! pushing 30. My brother is 28, I am 3 years older than him. My parents expect us to act like grownups.

My problem with this is he just needs to start using his brain (I know he has one) and grow up. This whole episode was totally avoidable if he used his god given brain.

Here is the thing with this whole bruhaha. Harry is 28 years old. Why does everyone still talk about him like he is a teenager. He 28! pushing 30. My brother is 28, I am 3 years older than him. My parents expect us to act like grownups.

My problem with this is he just needs to start using his brain (I know he has one) and grow up. This whole episode was totally avoidable if he used his god given brain.

BBM- Agreed.

And, realistically, saying "he's young" w/r/t to his drinking just won't carry weight for much longer. As you said, he's pushing 30. This is more what I would expect from a 20 year old.

I don't think it's a huge issue, at least not yet, but he does need to use better judgment.

Last edited:

I will say his age is what stands out to me the most. This sort of behavior from university-aged people doesn't surprise me (though it's not quite my style!), but I think he's old enough to either not participate in such hijinks or at least be aware of the potential consequences.

That said, I don't think the whole thing is that much of a big deal, it's just that I'd expect him to be exercising slightly better judgment at his age.

I'm not psychoanalyzing the man, it is however evident that the consumption of alcohol is an ongoing issue. He quite clearly drinks to excess or cannot manage it and as such acts without inhibition.

Excuses cannot be forthcoming forever. It needs to be addressed.

I'll wager that many of us on this board have had too much to drink at one time or another. Certainly, I have. But I've never once taken all my clothes off in a room full of strangers- who have also taken all their clothes off. (And even if I chose to do that, and even if my picture was taken, there's no way it'll be published by TMZ.)

So apparently Harry drinks himself into a state where he is totally unable to exercise good judgment or common sense. He has a problem with alcohol.

I noticed how very puffy his face was at the Olympics closing. I hope he gets the help he needs. Surely this was a wake-up call for him and his family.

:previous: I agree. The problem is not nudity but how he got to that situation. I wonder how often he drinks like this.

So apparently Harry drinks himself into a state where he is totally unable to exercise good judgment or common sense. He has a problem with alcohol.

You simply cannot say that based on just a couple of incidents spread over a couple of years. If there regularly came out pictures like that, it would be a matter to be concerned about, but there don't. Saying that he's an alcoholic is a fairly harsh judgement if you don't know the man in real life and don't know his daily actions, he's on vacation for christ's sake, let him have his fun (maybe he just wanna check if there's someone with a camera next time).

I really think it's absolutely hysterical how big a deal people are making out of this.

I loathe armchair psychology and generally try to avoid it. But I have always suspected that Harry deals with the submerged pain and trauma of the loss of his mother by drinking and acting out at times.

In the weeks and months that followed Diana's funeral I remember hearing or reading that the then 12-13 year old Harry was seen crying in class, and there was some discussion of pulling him out for the remainder of the term.

The idea was broached with the Prince of Wales, but the decision was made that Harry would stay at school and complete his term.

I felt then and I still feel that Charles did an amazing job as a single parent under the most horrible circumstances...but perhaps something in his younger son's emotional/psychological development went by him unaddressed? :sad:

Harry's drinking to excess while on nights out is not a sign of 'submerged pain and trauma', it is entirely normal behaviour for a 27 year old in the UK.

I'm also 27, and I can tell you that the VAST majority of people our age binge drink fairly regularly. It makes me incredibly sad because I'm teetotal personally, but in the UK among those of the younger generations having a good time is synonymous with getting drunk. That is simply the way things are in this country now.

A guy I used to work with who was around my age used to say that if he could remember anything that happened the night before, it obviously hadn't been a good night. Go into the centre of any town or city in the UK on a Saturday night and you'll see legions of people, probably 35 and under, lying on the street or the pavement totally out of their heads.

You'll struggle to find a man in the UK who hasn't been on a few 'messy' stag nights or weekends. These seem to get increasingly worse and lots of stag weekends are now taken in Amsterdam, Prague or Budapest where the drink is cheap and certain laws regarding drugs and prostitutes are somewhat different from the UK.

Harry made some really stupid decisions, but from what I could see, what he was doing was no worse than what millions of young people in the UK get up to on a weekly basis, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom