The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
But most of those people, at least on these boards, do not appear to be citizens of the UK. JMO.
And that means we can't contribute to a discussion? I don't remember reading in the rules of this forum that we have to be citizens of the country in which the royal we are discussing resides. If that were the case, most of the threads on this forum would be much shorter.

I am not the least bit offended, or scandalized, with Harry's behavior in Vegas. It's pretty much what I expected. Shocking to some I'm sure because I live in the USA and we must all find his behavior scandalous. However, I am enjoying hearing what other people think about this situation.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post
Exactly. Anyone who does not feel this thread worthy of their time are hardly forced to stay here and contribute to the page count.
And for those contributing to this thread please stick to the facts and keep the discussion civilised .

Old 08-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
And for those contributing to this thread please stick to the facts and keep the discussion civilised .
My apologies if I have offended anyone with my posts. That was not my intention.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The first step is admitting that there is a problem. Its the hardest step one has to take. No matter what popular consensus is or what anyone else thinks he should do, the only reason for Harry to ever step foot into a rehab is if he has taken that first step himself and enters solely for himself and no other reason. Recovery does not happen unless the person wants it.

There are a lot of alcoholics out there that are not drunks and a lot of drunks that are not alcoholics. Alcohol in itself is just a symptom of the disease.

When I was in my 20s, along with many friends, I was a weekend warrior and partying was the name of the game. I did a lot of stupid things. As we grew older, had kids and settled down, we remember the "good ol' days" while drinking our half a can of beer.

I think the subject of Harry and alcohol is not for us to judge and muse about what he should or shouldn't do. Its his own personal decision and only he knows how it affects him.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie View Post
My apologies if I have offended anyone with my posts. That was not my intention.
That was in general and not aimed at anyone in particular
Old 08-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie View Post
And that means we can't contribute to a discussion? .
Did I say that??? No, I didn't think so.

I do however believe that the opinions of his fellow citizens on how he serves his family, the military and the nation are more relevant. JMO.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath

Tiger used them as much as they used him. My point is, women are judged more harshly than men. If this had been exactly the other way around, if Beatrice or Eugenie had done this with men they didn't know. They would have been blamed for everything while the men would have been congratulated for getting so lucky.

And honestly... If I had been offered several million (or however much it is now) I might have sold those photo's as well. That''s an end to trouble, more chances and an easier life for a lot of people.
I don't care what chromosomes the person has, making a buck off of someone roses embarrassment is disgusting and low. It's sad that this is where we have come to, integrity and human decency is out the door, all in favor of making money. I don't know if this trend has taken hold in England where a girl has an indiscretion with a famous person and then decides to make money off of it; though I do remember the Rebecca Loos situation a few years back.
The last man I recall who prostituted himself go make a buck off and sell his story was the guy who clAimed to be sleeping with Carolyn Bessett while she was married to JFK Jr. I thought his behavior was just as disgusting as this girls.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
When you are a government employee, you take an oath to maintain a certain moral standard. In the US, ANY government employee would at a minimum be repremanded and at the maximum fired if publicly caught doing what Harry did. Officers in the military and management level are held especially accountable.You are representing your country;even when on home soil. Harry is a prince, an officer and in a foreign country. In addition we are not allowed to accept free gifts. He would probably be dishonorably discharged in the US.
I'm sorry, but Harry was in his private hotel room!! He was in a suite to which he controlled access; it was not a public place. If I invite someone I meet into my house, does it suddenly become a public place? No it bloody well doesn't.

Why on earth should Harry be dishonourably discharged? He invited a couple of, it now appears, totally unscrupulous money-grabbing women to his room for a private party. He clearly didn't know just how disgusting these women were when he invited them up and I'll bet he regrets it now. While there he did nothing illegal or immoral. People have been getting drunk and then getting naked in one another's company since the dawn of time.

If an off duty soldier, most likely on leave ahead of a tour of duty in a deadly warzone, decides to have a few drinks and a bit of fun in his hotel room with a woman he's just met, how on earth is that anyone's business but his?
Old 08-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Courtier

It's possible that things are different in the UK armed forces, (I doubt it), but I know in the Canadian forces there's a very, very fine line between public and private life, especially for officers. The expectation is that an officer will conduct him or herself in a way that is a credit to the armed forces at all times. End of story. That's not to say that bad behaviour doesn't happen, but if you're stupid enough, (or, if you want, unlucky enough), to get caught then whining that your embarrassing behaviour was meant to be private isn't going to get you very far.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Heir Apparent

FanofMonaco was simply explaining what would probably happen to a U.S. soldier, sailor, or airman in the same situation. I don't see where it was stated that Harry should be dishonorably discharged. It was information, not an ostracism.

I don't think anyone approves of the photos being released. However, I need to know people a little better before I take off my clothes. BTW, it has been that some 25 people were invited to his room.

I'm sure there is more to come, but the titillation is fading fast.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
If an off duty soldier, most likely on leave ahead of a tour of duty in a deadly warzone, decides to have a few drinks and a bit of fun in his hotel room with a woman he's just met, how on earth is that anyone's business but his?
Thanks. Now for some reason I can't get the tune "What do you do with a drunken sailor" out of my head.

Military personnel have been notorious over the ages for going on leave and doing stupid things. Leave for many military personnel is a release from the restrictions they face daily during active duty and when they're set loose, they go full steam ahead. For some reason waking up with a tattoo comes to mind. Harry's antics were really no different than what many other men and women have done and took place in a private venue. The only difference here is that Harry is well known and a quick buck could be made off of publicizing what went on.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

I doubt very much that there's really all that much more to come. The big tabloid 'kiss and tell' stories in the UK are almost always published on Sundays, which were the preserve of the late News of the World. The fact that there was so little in the papers yesterday, suggests that they're flogging a bit of a dead horse at this point.

Another thing that should be born in mind in terms of the British papers is that August is 'silly season' in this country. The Houses of Parliament are in recess, the PM's on holiday, the Queen and Prince Charles are in Scotland; there's just not that much to write about. Hence, Harry in the buff becomes the papers' story of choice.

ITV has just started showing 'Harry's Mountain Heroes' by the way, a documentary about the injured troops whom Harry has been supporting, on this occasion, in climbing Everest.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I don't care what chromosomes the person has, making a buck off of someone roses embarrassment is disgusting and low. It's sad that this is where we have come to, integrity and human decency is out the door, all in favor of making money. I don't know if this trend has taken hold in England where a girl has an indiscretion with a famous person and then decides to make money off of it; though I do remember the Rebecca Loos situation a few years back.
The last man I recall who prostituted himself go make a buck off and sell his story was the guy who clAimed to be sleeping with Carolyn Bessett while she was married to JFK Jr. I thought his behavior was just as disgusting as this girls.
Come back to me when someone offers you a few millions to sell your story and/or pictures. It's a nice sum of money to have in your back account.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Harry's actions have gone down brilliantly with his fellow servicemen and women. Warning, this would be NSFW:

Quote:
He's facing a grilling from his army bosses but it seems Prince Harry’s colleagues have taken a more good-humoured approach to his Vegas scandal.

Hundreds of soldiers have stripped off in support of the prince for a rapidly-growing Facebook group called ‘Support Prince Harry with a naked salute’.

The group, which already has more than 8,000 members, features military men and women posing naked in their barracks or standing nude on tanks in Afghanistan.
Prince Harry naked pictures: Soldiers in naked Facebook salute - Mirror Online

Fair play to them all, particularly the ones who are as we speak on the frontline in Afghan. It seems they've all had a chuckle about this. It reminds me of when Harry was outed for being in Afghan and had to come home because his presence put his fellow servicemen and women in greater danger. His colleagues on the frontline responded by wearing ginger wigs and t-shirts that said 'I'm Harry!'.

They all appreciate Harry and his service, and treat him like just another fellow squaddie. If they don't feel that Harry's brought shame on the Queen's uniform, then I'll agree with them.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel
Come back to me when someone offers you a few millions to sell your story and/or pictures. It's a nice sum of money to have in your back account.
Sorry I actually have a soul and respect for other human beings, I don't see them as cash cows that I can use to make myself feel better. I respect famous people and their right to privavcy.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Sorry I actually have a soul and respect for other human beings, I don't see them as cash cows that I can use to make myself feel better. I respect famous people and their right to privavcy.
Even when you or a dear one was in desperate need for money? For whatever reason, health, school, housing.

Call me disrespectful, but I would definetly consider it if the circumstances call for it.
And Harry's nudity scandal is the least offensive thing he's ever done. No man will suffer from something like this. Only women.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I am very glad that a moderator has said this. I can only assume this would include commentary calling other posters "prude" and "sanctimonious," among other things.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Harry's actions have gone down brilliantly with his fellow servicemen and women. Warning, this would be NSFW:

Prince Harry naked pictures: Soldiers in naked Facebook salute - Mirror Online

Fair play to them all, particularly the ones who are as we speak on the frontline in Afghan. It seems they've all had a chuckle about this. It reminds me of when Harry was outed for being in Afghan and had to come home because his presence put his fellow servicemen and women in greater danger. His colleagues on the frontline responded by wearing ginger wigs and t-shirts that said 'I'm Harry!'.

They all appreciate Harry and his service, and treat him like just another fellow squaddie. If they don't feel that Harry's brought shame on the Queen's uniform, then I'll agree with them.
This outpouring of support by military personnel for Harry is perhaps the most positive outcomes of Harry's Vegas Nekkid Butt Extravaganza.

Although Harry could not have dreamt that his night in Vegas would be a big morale booster for fellow soldiers, it sure looks like it was.

There's always something positive to be found in any situation if one really cares to look for one.
― John Lennon
Old 08-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
This outpouring of support by military personnel for Harry is perhaps the most positive outcomes of Harry's Vegas Nekkid Butt Extravaganza.

Although Harry could not have dreamt that his night in Vegas would be a big morale booster for fellow soldiers, it sure looks like it was.

There's always something positive to be found in any situation if one really cares to look for one.
Hey, if it brought those who are at the sharp end in the hellhole that is Afghanistan even a few minutes of brevity then it might nearly have been worth it! Some of those pictures are hilarious.

You can understand why Harry loves being in the Army when you see things like that. On the documentary currently on TV here about Walking with the Wounded, you can see how much Harry's support means to these guys, and how sincere he is in his attempts to help them succeed in everything they do.

I don't think a grainy picture of his pale rear end negates any of that in any way whatsoever.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Other than taking picture, which of course Henry had no idea would be published, why should security people take the phones of the people in the hotel room?
Drugs and weapons obviously,and I'm sure they would have been searched.
I agree - Harry knew the photos were being taken and didn't ask them to stop - he simply didn't expect them to be published.

I have no doubts that had someone brought out a knife or gun then the PPOs would have acted - at the cost of their own lives if necessary.

The issue has never, for me, been what he did in the room but rather that given his position he behaved in such an appalling way in allowing people he barely knew into that position. For all we know he could do this sort of thing regularly with his very close friends in the UK and we never hear about it because those friends know that his friendship is something they value but for these women they know they will probably never see him again so why not make some money from the encounter? (That is their thinking I suspect not mine and not one I support mind you).