The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

You type Prince Harry into google and the first suggestion is Prince Harry vegas pictures. Highly amusing.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Aristocracy

This will blow over. Harry will come out of this smelling like a rose. He leads a very privledged life, and that privledge will work very well for him, and he knows it. So life goes on until the next ridiculously stupid thing he does.

Oh one more thing, I don't see the point in Harry 'laying low'. This is not going to affect Harry one way or the other, so what is the point.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
You type Prince Harry into google and the first suggestion is Prince Harry vegas pictures. Highly amusing.
Yes I spotted that earlier
Old 08-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
All we have the right to expect is that they fulfill their constitutional duties in an effective manner. No more, no less.
Though in part to their constitutional resposibilities there is somewhat of an expectation, and in my opinion rightly so, that the royal family be an example of responsible discretion and propriety. Obviously this is not always the case but for the most part they give it a decent go.

And expecting that Henry should have had more sense than to frivolously allow complete strangers into his confidence to the extent that he did, and to a point that compromised his dignity, nor least of all his "modesty", is not something I as a member of the global community would like to witness again.

It's his lapse in caution that makes me wish Charles would give him a good kick in the pants. For someone who has lived and will continue to live his life in the publics gaze I do not think it unreasonable to suggest that this was entirely avoidable.

He knows the game. He's lived it since day dot. No excuse.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I think Harry is one of the most recognisable people in the UK and you'll go a long way to find someone who wouldn't be able to recognise him.

The amount of holier-than-thou preaching that's going on in this thread is quite unbelievable. What exactly did Harry do wrong? He made a silly decision to invite a few people he didn't know back to his hotel room. That's it. He did nothing illegal, and certainly nothing that millions of people his age, and older, won't be doing this weekend.

The woman who took the photos and sold them for personal gain, against the wishes of the people she was with and within a hotel room in which everyone has a reasonable expectation of privacy, is the person who should be ashamed here.

A 28-year-old man made a silly mistake when he'd had a few drinks - shock horror! Even the royals are human. We can't expect them to be paragons of virtue, we've all seen the problems the RF have had trying to live up to some sort of fairytale, perfect family image. It's totally unrealistic to expect these people to be picture perfect role models. All we have the right to expect is that they fulfill their constitutional duties in an effective manner. No more, no less.
I think you and a lot of other posters are missing the major point here.

Harry did NOTHING wrong. He did nothing many other people don't do on the weekend. You are right. The other posters are also right that the majority of the British public, from what I can see on message boards, think Harry did nothing wrong, and in fact, seem to be encouraging.

But how quickly that opinion can and will change.

However, at some point the British public and other commonwealth members will wonder why such ordinary people are in such extraordinary roles, not having earned it in any way. Divine Right is now gone, which would have protected Harry's ancestors from real wrongdoing. For the BRF to survive, they will have to lead exemplary lives. You won't see this realization with this one escapade, or the next, or possibly the next. But IMO, you will see it.

Harry is not an everyday man, and if he want to remain in his position of extraordinary privilege, and wants his family to remain in this position, he's going to have to grow up a bit. I agree with the other posters who point out that there is some expectation that the BRF conduct themselves with a lot more discretion and dignity, no matter how these message boards read. Once Harry's looks begin to fade, you will see very different posts. Imagine if Uncle Andy or Cousin Bea were in the ones photographed.

This is not holier-than-thou preaching, it's the recognition that nobody gets something for nothing. Not any more.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:17 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach

Once Harry's looks begin to fade, you will see very different posts. Imagine if Uncle Andy or Cousin Bea were in the ones photographed.
My opinion on this isn't going to change. And I somehow doubt Henry's going to do this again, so I won't be supplying my opinion on another Vegas night.

Henry's looks are not the only thing going for him.

The PCC has received 60 public complaints about the picture in The Sun and IF St James' Palace makes a formal complaint the PCC will investigate.

BBC interviewed everyday people, all three said 'it's his business, he's a young lad and they shouldn't have been published the pictures'.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post
I think you and a lot of other posters are missing the major point here.

Harry did NOTHING wrong. He did nothing many other people don't do on the weekend. You are right. The other posters are also right that the majority of the British public, from what I can see on message boards, think Harry did nothing wrong, and in fact, seem to be encouraging.

However, at some point the British public and other commonwealth members will wonder why such ordinary people are in such extraordinary roles, not having earned it in any way. Divine Right is now gone, which would have protected Harry's ancestors from real wrongdoing. For the BRF to survive, they will have to lead exemplary lives. You won't see this realization with this one escapade, or the next, or possibly the next. But IMO, you will see it.

Harry is not an everyday man, and if he want to remain in his position of extraordinary privilege, and wants his family to remain in this position, he's going to have to grow up a bit. I agree with the other posters who point out that there is some expectation that the BRF conduct themselves with a lot more discretion and dignity, no matter how these message boards read. Once Harry's looks begin to fade, you will see very different posts. Imagine if Uncle Andy or Cousin Bea were in the ones photographed.

This is not holier-than-thou preaching, it's the recognition that nobody gets something for nothing. Not any more.

SPOT ON, in my opinion.

The Sun published the pictures, they put a huge crown on Harry's behind
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ed-Prince.html
Old 08-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
But thats what Im saying Daria. Thats it? Lie low and keep out of site? Thats pretty lame if you ask me. As for the body guard thing, I think they should also be in trouble even though they say they did nothing wrong. As for his so called friends, well thats another story. So apparently Harry has suffered enough because of embarassment?
Well we did away with the rack and whipping a long time ago, and haven't locked anyone up in the Tower since WWII so I am not sure what sort of punishment would satisfy you.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:26 AM
Courtier

The Guardian has a story today with a PR guy saying one of the girls who sold the pics approached him, and she also had video. We'll see what happens there...
Old 08-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
The Guardian has a story today with a PR guy saying one of the girls who sold the pics approached him, and she also had video. We'll see what happens there...
...surprise...surprise... Las Vegas is for a reason not populated by young bright women of high integrity. An easy to make buck is often the object. And there is no reverence for royalty, unless you are the Las Vegas royalty, i.e. Celine...
Old 08-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Serene Highness

He can't drink. At all.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Though in part to their constitutional resposibilities there is somewhat of an expectation, and in my opinion rightly so, that the royal family be an example of responsible discretion and propriety. Obviously this is not always the case but for the most part they give it a decent go.

And expecting that Henry should have had more sense than to frivolously allow complete strangers into his confidence to the extent that he did, and to a point that compromised his dignity, nor least of all his "modesty", is not something I as a member of the global community would like to witness again.

It's his lapse in caution that makes me wish Charles would give him a good kick in the pants. For someone who has lived and will continue to live his life in the publics gaze I do not think it unreasonable to suggest that this was entirely avoidable.

He knows the game. He's lived it since day dot. No excuse.
I am sorry, but I do not think his father of all people should be the moral judge here. I seem to recall a private phone conversation to his then mistress regarding a certain hygiene product. The very same man is now being praised to the sky as the best thing since sliced bread. He was well into his 40'ies at that time. So the same allowence must apply to his son. Forgive and forget...MOVE ON!!
Old 08-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I am sorry, but I do not think his father of all people should be the moral judge here. I seem to recall a private phone conversation to his then mistress regarding a certain hygiene product. The very same man is now being praised to the sky as the best thing since sliced bread. He was well into his 40'ies at that time. So the same allowence must apply to his son. Forgive and forget...MOVE ON!!
The use of capitals to make your point was really not necessary and a little rude

I could elaborate as to why I think you're quite mistaken, re his fathers influence, but this is not the thread. That old mule's been scorned, whipped and beaten to death many times over. It's pointless and serves no purpose here.

We agree to disagree.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter
I don't think this is normal or acceptable behavior of any guy. Why would any woman want to marry someone who acts like this? I wouldn't want any daughter I had to get involved with someone who behaves this way.

LaRae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Rose View Post
= one of the best posts I've read.
Not every woman is out to get married and believe it or not, but a lot of us girls don't mind the whole love 'em and leave 'em. Especially when you go to Vegas with your group of friends. Why else go? To look at the architecture? You go to party and/or gamble. It might get out of hand. Big deal. As long as it stays safe.

*prepares to be crucified as someone with low morals*
Old 08-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR
Every picture will end up on the internet somewhere, so the concept of privacy for public individuals is dead.
This situation is not productive or good by any means, but it is the reality of today, I'm afraid.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Serene Highness

At first I was aghast at the invasion of privacy - and the tackiness of the person who sold the photos - thinking of this solely from the 'celebrity's' pov. On principle I still am - but I've shifted a bit on that. I have wondered if there was something that happened that night that persuaded the person that making this public would be a good thing beyond just money. I'm wondering if it's not as clear-cut as it seems. It is, after all, other people's right to cast abroad what they were doing that night if they wish - we are just trumping the 'celebrity's rights' here.

I try to refrain from judging others' choices. However, that said, my personal preferences preclude exhibitionism - and I do not expect to see anyone in such a private and intimate pose. I am not a voyeur. Someone said that there are more people 'enjoying' these photos than condemning them. Not so - some of us are not voyeurs. Those photos would be an embarrassment for most people with a sense of privacy.

The only way a person would allow that sort of thing to happen is because they are an exhibitionist and/or are drunk/sedated.

Seeing the pictures from Necker - with what appears to be Harry passed out on the ground - and realizing that this was a two week binge - . Not good.

Harry has a problem - and it's a big one. Two week binges drinking till one is blind, falling-down passed out dead drunk - what a useless life he is living if this is the best he can do with a whole lotta privileges - and indicative of some lotta pain. Poor guy - but better a father giving him hey now than news of a bad accident later. Harry just has to be the occasion for one person to suffer injury as a result of his drunkenness and the giggling and 'atta boy' will stop quick enof.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Not every woman is out to get married and believe it or not, but a lot of us girls don't mind the whole love 'em and leave 'em. Especially when you go to Vegas with your group of friends. Why else go? To look at the architecture? You go to party and/or gamble. It might get out of hand. Big deal. As long as it stays safe.

*prepares to be crucified as someone with low morals*
I pretty much agree with you. In reading a lot of the posts in this thread what I see most clearly is the big difference between Western European/British opinion vs. US opinion on issues of sex/nudity/alcohol/partying. There are also differences between what is considered private in the UK vs. the US apparently.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca

It's the morally indignant tone of the quote that kills me. All they wanted to do was go to Vegas, get trashed, and then get naked in a hotel suite with a bunch of complete strangers! And now it turns out that one of the people who accepted the invitation to get trashed and naked with a bunch of strangers in a Vegas hotel suite also had no qualms about taking pictures of it and selling it to TMZ! I mean, really, who could have seen that coming?
Selling compromising photos to the tabloids is practically a cottage industry. Public people have to be aware of that. There's no other way to keep out unscathed.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Heir Apparent

This is now reached the point where I'd recommend a time out if possible for this thread. I know it won't happen but "if only". Cultural differences are really apparent and individual moral codes are taking centre stage. Just my opinion.

I just looked at the news.
At least nine people shot at randomly in NY City - that's more important
Greece in economic meltdown - way more important to Europe
And if you want a royal story, Prince Philip is not attending the Paralympics opening ceremony.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I pretty much agree with you. In reading a lot of the posts in this thread what I see most clearly is the big difference between Western European/British opinion vs. US opinion on issues of sex/nudity/alcohol/partying.
Keep fanning that spark - it appears to be your sole observation and contribution to the discussion. Remember, it is in the US that you can go to a Las Vegas. Have you something similar in Britain? Or Europe?

The issue with these pictures winds up being a bit more than 'harmless fun'. It winds up being about being so blotto drunk that someone is unable to exercise normal cautions regarding themselves. One day that might result in harm to another - and where then will all the snickering at the 'prudes' leave you?