The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Courtier

The American media mostly made a joke out of it last night on the news shows--more focus was on the security risks and the lack of free press Britain now has.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Commoner

The *day after* pics sure show a much more subdued , sheepish , and somewhat worried Prince Harry.

He knows better..........the two brothers have said many times they only surround themselves with people they trust.

Thou many-headed monster-thing, O who would wish to be thy king?--
Old 08-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmen View Post
keep calm and carry on....
time to end harrys nudegate
what is private should stay private... shame on TMZ.COM
Did you look at the photos? I rest my case...
Old 08-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
The American media mostly made a joke out of it last night on the news shows--more focus was on the security risks and the lack of free press Britain now has.
Britain does not lack a free press! How many times must I say this on this thread?!?! Just to be clear:

1. the British press have covered this story extensively;
2. as part of their coverage they have chosen not to publish the photos because they were taken in a PRIVATE hotel room, on a PRIVATE holiday and WITHOUT the permission of those who were photographed. Everyone, including royals, have a right to privacy enshrined in British law;
3. every report, whether on TV or in the newspapers, has told the British people where to go online if they want to see the photos;
4. the British state does not block access to any foreign websites. When I go to TMZ, Perez Hilton, Lainey Gossip etc. I see exactly the same website as those abroad see. Nothing is blocked or blurred out.
5. everyone I know in the UK has seen the pictures by now.

If my boyfriend took pictures of me naked in my own home and then tried to sell them to a national newspaper (not that they'd want them), the newspaper would refuse to publish them because to do so would be to invade my right to privacy. At least, this is the case in the UK at the moment. The British press don't publish images of sex tapes, or of naked celebrities which have come into the hands of gossip sites without that individual's permission. That is why they haven't published these pictures of Harry, or at least, not yet.

There are some posters who seem to have lots of 'friends' who are somehow in-the-know on every royal story, which I find an enormous coincidence. There seems also to be a trend here of making huge assumptions about these people - William's an abusive husband, Kate's a downtrodden abused wife, Harry's an alcoholic who drinks to suppress the pain of his mother's death and also may or may not be a closeted gay. I read some of these posts and I'm just dumbfounded.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Aristocracy

There have been far worse royal scandals than Prince Harry in Las Vegas. The trial of Queen Caroline in 1820 was the first big royal tabloid scandal and nearly brought down the monarchy

The Trial of Queen Caroline in 1820 and the Birth of British Tabloid Coverage of Royalty | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
Old 08-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Unless we know who your friend is and the context of your conversation, we can hardly come to an agreement on whether Harry knew the pictures were being taken. I happen to think there are no indications of anything but Harry being taken by surprise. That, and displaying remarkably bad judgement in trusting virtual strangers.
Unless 'we'?

As I stated in a previous post, I was having a conversation with a male friend about the pictures and we wound up agreeing that what we were seeing - from the evidence in the pictures - was very likely not Harry 'having sex' and that he was aware of having his picture taken. That's it.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Britain does not lack a free press! How many times must I say this on this thread?!?! Just to be clear:

2. as part of their coverage they have chosen not to publish the photos because they were taken in a PRIVATE hotel room, on a PRIVATE holiday and WITHOUT the permission of those who were photographed. Everyone, including royals, have a right to privacy enshrined in British law;
3. every report, whether on TV or in the newspapers, has told the British people where to go online if they want to see the photos;
4. the British state does not block access to any foreign websites. When I go to TMZ, Perez Hilton, Lainey Gossip etc. I see exactly the same website as those abroad see. Nothing is blocked or blurred out.

If my boyfriend took pictures of me naked in my own home and then tried to sell them to a national newspaper (not that they'd want them), the newspaper would refuse to publish them because to do so would be to invade my right to privacy. At least, this is the case in the UK at the moment. The British press don't publish images of sex tapes, or of naked celebrities which have come into the hands of gossip sites without that individual's permission. That is why they haven't published these pictures of Harry, or at least, not yet.

There are some posters who seem to have lots of 'friends' who are somehow in-the-know on every royal story, which I find an enormous coincidence. There seems also to be a trend here of making huge assumptions about these people - William's an abusive husband, Kate's a downtrodden abused wife, Harry's an alcoholic who drinks to suppress the pain of his mother's death and also may or may not be a closet gay. I read some of these posts and I'm just dumbfounded.
I think the difference laws related to the press (and privacy), especially between the US and the UK, are perhaps a little unfamiliar/confusing to some people. (Personally, I'm fascinated by laws like this, but can understand that some are a bit surprised that the pictures aren't being published in the UK).

And some people on here certainly do have some very interesting imaginations! Always a fascinating read.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

There are some posters who seem to have lots of 'friends' who are somehow in-the-know on every royal story, which I find an enormous coincidence. There seems also to be a trend here of making huge assumptions about these people - William's an abusive husband, Kate's a downtrodden abused wife, Harry's an alcoholic who drinks to suppress the pain of his mother's death and also may or may not be a closeted gay. I read some of these posts and I'm just dumbfounded.
I couldn't agree more. For some reason this story seems much more interesting to foreigners than it is to Brits. Maybe its a puritanical streak in some countries that makes a bit a skin and partying so upsetting while in the UK its a bit of a giggle.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I couldn't agree more. For some reason this story seems much more interesting to foreigners than it is to Brits. Maybe its a puritanical streak in some countries that makes a bit a skin and partying so upsetting while in the UK its a bit of a giggle.
for me personally it would have been more disturbing if the party had been fully clothed, but playing around with guns or something (not talking 'bout russian roulette :-) ).... i'm sure in some cultures *that* would have been no problem :-)
Old 08-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Aristocracy

The bottom line is, to put it bluntly, Harry is an idiot. Anyone in the public eye like Harry and partakes in this kind of paryting should know better.

I can tell you that here, people are laughing at the whole mess, but also saying exactly what I said above. They cannot believe the stupidity of this whole mess. Have your fun, do whatever you want, but be smart about it. Harry wasn't.

I think Machhiavelli said it best about this mess.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I just want to clarify something, because being an uninteresting person I haven't looked at the pictures, who took them and who published them?

I'm going to go with US at the publisher, for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdngirl View Post
The bottom line is, to put it bluntly, Harry is an idiot.

I can tell you that here, people are laughing at the whole mess, but also saying exactly what I said above. They cannot believe the stupidity of this whole mess. Have your fun, do whatever you want, but be smart about it. Harry wasn't.
I actually, that's your bottom line, not mine.

Harry was not in the public eye, at this private hotel at a private event enjoying himself. People are laughing, great, in a week they'll be laughing about something else and when Harry visits Canada as some point in the future people won't even remember and they'll love him like people do now.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Aristocracy

I did not say it for you to agree with me. For me that is the bottom line. He's and idiot, and I think he knows it lol. He knows this was stupid. What sane person in the public eye with a brain in their head would do something like without THINKING. That is pretty much the consesus here.

It's like, get your freak on Harry, but dam do it with a modicum of sense.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach

I agree with you. I suppose I am old before my time.

What he did would not be wrong in the least if he were an everyday man who owed nothing to the public and were not involved in a high profile family business where image is everything (although I would not want to hear that this was my son's vacation, even if most of his peers had the every same vacations). But what everyone fails to realize is that Harry is not the common man.

The Brits may be very supportive of Harry right now, but their acceptance that the royals are "common men" is dangerous to the existence of the monarchy itself. Or for just Harry himself. In a few years' time when the partying has taken its toll on his face, and he is a little less buff and toned, you will see a very different commentary.

The veil of mystery must never be lifted from the royal family - words uttered about filming such things as a family barbecue. I'm afraid Harry has yanked that veil off the curtain rods.
I agree as well. There's no need to do what Harry did, regardless of status. There are other ways to have fun, and if you must get naked, do it away from prying eyes. Some put the blame on the 'photographer', but I think that Harry is old enough to take responsibility for his actions. I can guarantee that he was not forced to get naked or play strip billiards, so that leaves me to believe he chose to partake in this activity, and apparently with some people he didn't know well at all. He's old enough to know better than to let loose, and think that there will be no consequences. People will go far to make a buck, and won't give a rat's you-know-what about whom they're hurting. If Harry won't look out for himself, no one else will. Family, friends, PPOs, etc. can only do so much.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

E! Online - Celebrity Blog, Celebrity Gossip News

had to share it, becausevi love the pic of Her Majesty they chose with this fluff-bit :-)
Old 08-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Harry was not in the public eye, at this private hotel at a private event enjoying himself. People are laughing, great, in a week they'll be laughing about something else and when Harry visits Canada as some point in the future people won't even remember and they'll love him like people do now
LOL, they'll remember, they will just be snickering in the background lmao. The debate is not whether it was private, the debate is in HOW STUPID HARRY WAS in not foreseeing this outcome. Really Harry, Really?

The jokes here are fast and furious
Old 08-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Administrator

I realize that this is hot topic but let's cool it with the name calling and gutter talk.

Surely we can discuss the situation in Las Vegas without calling Harry names.

Any and all subsequent posts will be deleted without notice.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:

This is interesting to read since it was British pundits making the argument about the media being "neutered." I suppose it's anger/jealousy at other country's media getting all the hits for their websites.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I suppose it's anger/jealousy at other country's media getting all the hits for their websites
No i think it's just a certain view about privacy and ethical issues. Apparently not shared by everyone.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I just want to clarify something, because being an uninteresting person I haven't looked at the pictures, who took them and who published them?

I'm going to go with US at the publisher, for obvious reasons.

I actually, that's your bottom line, not mine.

Harry was not in the public eye, at this private hotel at a private event enjoying himself. People are laughing, great, in a week they'll be laughing about something else and when Harry visits Canada as some point in the future people won't even remember and they'll love him like people do now.
One of the girls he invited took the photo and sold them to TMZ. They were the ones to break the story.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Is this thread time-limited?

I ask because every facet has been discussed; people have expressed their views very widely (or even wildly); this thread is definitely pushing the boundaries of "name calling and gutter talk" (quote from Zonk) and do we really want to be discussing this over and over again in (say) 12 months time.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,