The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #201  
Old 08-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,978
I'm not psychoanalyzing the man, it is however evident that the consumption of alcohol is an ongoing issue. He quite clearly drinks to excess or cannot manage it and as such acts without inhibition.

Excuses cannot be forthcoming forever. It needs to be addressed.
__________________

__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 08-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 6,460
Elenath I agree and that's why I said I generally avoid armchair analysis. But the Diana connection has crossed my mind on more than one occasion.

Thanks for the video Empress Merel. I suppose I should find Harry's behavior shocking but I can't help it...I like the kid...he makes me laugh!
__________________

__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 08-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 182
Here is the thing with this whole bruhaha. Harry is 28 years old. Why does everyone still talk about him like he is a teenager. He 28! pushing 30. My brother is 28, I am 3 years older than him. My parents expect us to act like grownups.

My problem with this is he just needs to start using his brain (I know he has one) and grow up. This whole episode was totally avoidable if he used his god given brain.
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 08-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdngirl View Post
Here is the thing with this whole bruhaha. Harry is 28 years old. Why does everyone still talk about him like he is a teenager. He 28! pushing 30. My brother is 28, I am 3 years older than him. My parents expect us to act like grownups.

My problem with this is he just needs to start using his brain (I know he has one) and grow up. This whole episode was totally avoidable if he used his god given brain.
BBM- Agreed.

And, realistically, saying "he's young" w/r/t to his drinking just won't carry weight for much longer. As you said, he's pushing 30. This is more what I would expect from a 20 year old.

I don't think it's a huge issue, at least not yet, but he does need to use better judgment.
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 08-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: n/a, United States
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdngirl View Post
Here is the thing with this whole bruhaha. Harry is 28 years old. Why does everyone still talk about him like he is a teenager. He 28! pushing 30. My brother is 28, I am 3 years older than him. My parents expect us to act like grownups.

My problem with this is he just needs to start using his brain (I know he has one) and grow up. This whole episode was totally avoidable if he used his god given brain.
I will say his age is what stands out to me the most. This sort of behavior from university-aged people doesn't surprise me (though it's not quite my style!), but I think he's old enough to either not participate in such hijinks or at least be aware of the potential consequences.

That said, I don't think the whole thing is that much of a big deal, it's just that I'd expect him to be exercising slightly better judgment at his age.
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 08-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 1,868
If life is fair, his commanding officer will acknowledge that most young single officers do things like that but fortunate for them, their pics don't sell. So I don't think the dressing down will be quite so severe, but rather along the lines of be careful what company you keep....
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 08-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I'm not psychoanalyzing the man, it is however evident that the consumption of alcohol is an ongoing issue. He quite clearly drinks to excess or cannot manage it and as such acts without inhibition.

Excuses cannot be forthcoming forever. It needs to be addressed.
I'll wager that many of us on this board have had too much to drink at one time or another. Certainly, I have. But I've never once taken all my clothes off in a room full of strangers- who have also taken all their clothes off. (And even if I chose to do that, and even if my picture was taken, there's no way it'll be published by TMZ.)

So apparently Harry drinks himself into a state where he is totally unable to exercise good judgment or common sense. He has a problem with alcohol.

I noticed how very puffy his face was at the Olympics closing. I hope he gets the help he needs. Surely this was a wake-up call for him and his family.
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 08-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ......, Argentina
Posts: 1,383
I agree. The problem is not nudity but how he got to that situation. I wonder how often he drinks like this.
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 08-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Archduchess Zelia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
So apparently Harry drinks himself into a state where he is totally unable to exercise good judgment or common sense. He has a problem with alcohol.
You simply cannot say that based on just a couple of incidents spread over a couple of years. If there regularly came out pictures like that, it would be a matter to be concerned about, but there don't. Saying that he's an alcoholic is a fairly harsh judgement if you don't know the man in real life and don't know his daily actions, he's on vacation for christ's sake, let him have his fun (maybe he just wanna check if there's someone with a camera next time).

I really think it's absolutely hysterical how big a deal people are making out of this.
__________________
"I am Denmark's first female Prime Minister. But you know what? I won't be the last."
— Helle Thorning-Schmidt, former Prime Minister of Denmark

Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 08-22-2012, 04:03 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

I loathe armchair psychology and generally try to avoid it. But I have always suspected that Harry deals with the submerged pain and trauma of the loss of his mother by drinking and acting out at times.

In the weeks and months that followed Diana's funeral I remember hearing or reading that the then 12-13 year old Harry was seen crying in class, and there was some discussion of pulling him out for the remainder of the term.

The idea was broached with the Prince of Wales, but the decision was made that Harry would stay at school and complete his term.

I felt then and I still feel that Charles did an amazing job as a single parent under the most horrible circumstances...but perhaps something in his younger son's emotional/psychological development went by him unaddressed?
Harry's drinking to excess while on nights out is not a sign of 'submerged pain and trauma', it is entirely normal behaviour for a 27 year old in the UK.

I'm also 27, and I can tell you that the VAST majority of people our age binge drink fairly regularly. It makes me incredibly sad because I'm teetotal personally, but in the UK among those of the younger generations having a good time is synonymous with getting drunk. That is simply the way things are in this country now.

A guy I used to work with who was around my age used to say that if he could remember anything that happened the night before, it obviously hadn't been a good night. Go into the centre of any town or city in the UK on a Saturday night and you'll see legions of people, probably 35 and under, lying on the street or the pavement totally out of their heads.

You'll struggle to find a man in the UK who hasn't been on a few 'messy' stag nights or weekends. These seem to get increasingly worse and lots of stag weekends are now taken in Amsterdam, Prague or Budapest where the drink is cheap and certain laws regarding drugs and prostitutes are somewhat different from the UK.

Harry made some really stupid decisions, but from what I could see, what he was doing was no worse than what millions of young people in the UK get up to on a weekly basis, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote
  #211  
Old 08-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: n/a, United States
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
You simply cannot say that based on just a couple of incidents spread over a couple of years. If there regularly came out pictures like that, it would be a matter to be concerned about, but there don't. Saying that he's an alcoholic is a fairly harsh judgement if you don't know the man in real life and don't know his daily actions, he's on vacation for christ's sake, let him have his fun (maybe he just wanna check if there's someone with a camera next time).

I really think it's absolutely hysterical how big a deal people are making out of this.
I completely agree. Like a great many people, I'm sure Harry enjoys a drink, but these pictures were taken on vacation in Las Vegas - what happens shouldn't there be taken as an indication of how one spends the rest of his time!
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 08-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Nico's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,657
Private trip, private matter. He's doing what rich young men do : big deal !
Some people are so stuck up and more royalist than the Queen. Give him a break, he's not a bad lad...
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 08-22-2012, 04:13 PM
olebabs's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Århus, Denmark
Posts: 283
Nico, my words exactely
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 08-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 182
Quote:
He has a problem with alcohol.
No, he has a problem with stupidity. He's a grown man.
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 08-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 6,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Harry's drinking to excess while on nights out is not a sign of 'submerged pain and trauma', it is entirely normal behaviour for a 27 year old in the UK.

I'm also 27, and I can tell you that the VAST majority of people our age binge drink fairly regularly. It makes me incredibly sad because I'm teetotal personally, but in the UK among those of the younger generations having a good time is synonymous with getting drunk. That is simply the way things are in this country now.

A guy I used to work with who was around my age used to say that if he could remember anything that happened the night before, it obviously hadn't been a good night. Go into the centre of any town or city in the UK on a Saturday night and you'll see legions of people, probably 35 and under, lying on the street or the pavement totally out of their heads.

You'll struggle to find a man in the UK who hasn't been on a few 'messy' stag nights or weekends. These seem to get increasingly worse and lots of stag weekends are now taken in Amsterdam, Prague or Budapest where the drink is cheap and certain laws regarding drugs and prostitutes are somewhat different from the UK.

Harry made some really stupid decisions, but from what I could see, what he was doing was no worse than what millions of young people in the UK get up to on a weekly basis, unfortunately.
With all due respect I am not talking about this one incident. I am talking about a whole range and pattern of behaviors in the last 15 years a..few of them involving booze.

And no I don't think the Vegas escapade is particularly disturbing at all. It IS Vegas.

But once again...it has crossed my mind that there is more to it than simply a rather wild young man who likes to have a good time, that is all.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 08-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Artemisia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Private trip, private matter. He's doing what rich young men do : big deal !
Some people are so stuck up and more royalist than the Queen. Give him a break, he's not a bad lad...
Except this young man happens to be a representative of an entire country.

I'm not a stuck up but I do believe Harry displayed poor judgement. Not only because of his actual actions (which are, unfortunately, quite typical of a 27-year-old nowadays), but because he was naive to believe that virtual strangers could be trusted not to share intimate details and/or pictures with the press.
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 08-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 182
Quote:
Private trip, private matter
Absoulutelly true, until you stand there and let someone take a picture of you in the nude hiding your privates, then it isn't private. Again, wth was he thinking. Nevermind he wasn't thinking.
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 08-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Nico's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,657
Well he was not exactly exposing himself and his willy to the entire world. The photos were secretly taken after all.
I agree there's a flagrant problem with the prince's entourage but he's a victim in this story and this betrayal must be hard to swallow.
That's not a scandal, that's not criminal ( yes for the record strip billard is legit), that's not the most clever thing to do but Harry was not a official representative of the Crown at this time, he was on holiday and enjoying himself.

Now if you can find a photo of him sniffing coke on the back of Jlo i'll be shocked. For now i find these pics quite funny and, yes, not really subtle but above all i'm sad for him because after all he's done this year, especially during the olympics, he doesn't deserve such judgment.
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 08-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,272
Much ado about very little. Next week there will be another "scandal" involving someone else for people to moralize over.
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 08-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 182
It probably will blow over in a few weeks, until the next stupid thing he does. SMH, Harry really needs to get that straw outta his head and acquire a brain.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Memebers from Las Vegas and Los Angeles ashelen Member Introductions 5 12-31-2011 03:34 PM
From Las Vegas, NV abbygoodrich Member Introductions 6 10-17-2011 08:28 AM




Popular Tags
andrew scott cooper ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coronation coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events dictatorship duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy murder new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 october and november 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess mette-marit fashion and style queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises