Harry's Night in Vegas: August 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daria_S

Majesty
City
My own head
Country
United States
Sorry for the double post, but I found this on my twitter, and thought it was kinda interesting. Of course it's sensible to wait to hear more from a reliable source.

RoyalWatcher ‏@royalwatcherUK
Party time RT @britishroyals: Indeed it's true that Prince Harry is in Vegas! Spotted at MGM Grand pool club Wet Republic with JLo

Hmmm. I didnt think the royals would even think of going to Vegas. Its not quite the spot I would think any of them would go to for fun and relaxation. I know Harry enjoys having a good time but, Vegas? Really? I dont know about this.

Hmmm. I didnt think the royals would even think of going to Vegas. Its not quite the spot I would think any of them would go to for fun and relaxation. I know Harry enjoys having a good time but, Vegas? Really? I dont know about this.

Here's an article about Harry's Vagas visit that was posted on my twitter page. I'm all for young people having a good time, but this is a bit much (at least in my eyes). Yes, Harry does a great deal of charity work and has his military duties, so I won't begrudge him a holiday. I'm just not sure this was the wisest destination.

Prince Harry gets wet and wild with J-Lo at pool party on Richard Branson's island - Mirror Online

Another tidbit about Harry's Vegas trip. Don't know if E! is a reliable source, but have fun reading anyhow.

http://www.eonline.com/news/339137/...m_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

Last edited:
Wow. I guess its true. I just thought there would be a much better place to go to than there. I wouldnt waste my time , just my opinion of course. Well, hope he had a good time.

Wow. I guess its true. I just thought there would be a much better place to go to than there. I wouldnt waste my time , just my opinion of course. Well, hope he had a good time.

I agree with you. Vegas has never appealed to me either.

Daria_S said:
I agree with you. Vegas has never appealed to me either.

Sounds like he was with a group of friends and someone was going to or decided to go to Vegas. It doesn't appear that Vegas was the destination, just a stopover. I'm sure he had a fun night, that's what Vegas is for. btw, I don't think that was his first time in Vegas... I think he had a weekend when he was stationed in AZ last year... Just a few hr drive...I think that was one of his infamous motorcycle trips.

Thats right. He was in Arizona, I forgot about that. He probably did visit before. Well it could have been a stop over but ewww.

If he's not at work, such as he's got a week off or has applied for holiday, I see no reason why he wouldn't want to go to Vegas to 'party'. Should be the perfect place to have fun.

Hey.. I can''t blame him for having some fun. I was just wondering. I know how many hours Will works but not how many hours Harry works. It''s just a complete mystery to me.

From the perspective of a Brit who's the same age as Harry, I can only say that it's really, really common for groups of friends to go to Vegas for a few days to sample all that it has to offer. I've never been personally (I'm not a drinker so it's not really my kind of place), but I know loads of people who go to Vegas, particularly young men, for a blowout weekend or whatever every couple of years. I'm not at all surprised that Harry chose to go there with some friends to enjoy himself.

Just on the subject of Vegas, isn't ghost_night on holiday in Vegas at the moment? Maybe she bumped into him.

I'm curious about Harry's military career. In the states, we have active duty military. They receive about 30 days per year as vacation, usually taken all at once. We also have the national guard whose members are sometimes called (somewhat derisively) weekend warriors. They do weekend duty once a month and then another couple of weeks training each year. I'm wondering if Harry is still active duty? He trained in the U.S. earlier this year. But since then he's had time off for the Queen's jubilee, the Olympics and now he is back in the states apparently on vacation. Now I have a great deal of respect for him because of his military commitment, however, it just doesn't seem like he's ever on duty. And I'm happy he enjoys spending time in the U.S. He's quite welcome here. But, even William missed the 2nd week of the olympics because he had military duty that week. I know some units have, for example, 36 hours on duty then 36 or so off duty, but that doesn't seem like enough time to fit in all the other stuff he does. Is Harry full or part time military?

Last edited:
Harry is definitely full time. His apache training is very expensive. They won't let him train if he cannot commit. It will not go down well with the people.

It is rumoured that he will be deployed next month. I am not sure whether it is true or not since there are hardly any news about it. I guess if it's true, he should have some leave given before deployment. And...he is just enjoying himself to the fullest before the real hard work?

I'm wondering if Harry is still active duty? He trained in the U.S. earlier this year. But since then he's had time off for the Queen's jubilee, the Olympics and now he is back in the states apparently on vacation.

This was a post I found in another thread started by yourself;
This comes from the MOD website.
The Regular Army offers 38 days of paid leave each year – this is much more than many civilian employers and reflects the fact that you might have to work on some Bank Holidays. When you’re on operations you’ll be flown back to the UK for two weeks’ leave mid-tour, and get more leave when your tour ends. None of this comes from your annual allowance. The Army also has very good maternity and paternity leave arrangements.

It has been partially confirmed that Henry is likely to return to warfare this year;

General Sir David Richards, Chief of the Defence Staff, said yesterday said the Prince is ‘likely’ to resume operational duties, raising the prospect he will soon be flying Apache helicopters in Helmand.
Addressing the Queen at the Diamond Jubilee Parade and Muster military tribute in Windsor, Gen Richards said: ‘Prince Harry’s success in flying training means it is likely he will serve operationally again.’T

But, even William missed the 2nd week of the olympics because he had military duty that week.

And in all fairness William has a lot more overseas visits and duties to do this year, whereas Henry doesn't. He probably needs to take more time off than his brother.

Harry is definitely full time. His apache training is very expensive. They won't let him train if he cannot commit. It will not go down well with the people.

Prince Henry became a fully operational Apache Attack Helicopter Pilot this February after successfully completing 18 months of intensive training.

The Prince has now attained Limited Combat Ready status, and will be assigned to 662 Squadron, 3 Regiment Army Air Corps within 16 Air Assault Brigade, where he will gain wider experience flying Apaches and take part in exercises in the United Kingdom.

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/med...rry_completes_apache_training_1375027204.html

Last edited:
I wonder if granny has anything to say about where he goes to let loose. I suppose as long as he doesnt do anything shameful she doesnt mind right? Does he even need approval from anyone as to where he goes? Just curious.

Does he even need approval from anyone as to where he goes? Just curious.

He has to book time off I imagine, and I expect he has to clear his travel plans with the security officers that travel with him. I expect if anything comes to light after his trips, his grandmother or father may have words if anything went awry.

I would guess that the time Harry was given off for the Caribbean tour and the Queen's Diamond Jubilee was probably exceptional leave, likely unpaid. As such, it wouldn't come out of his annual leave entitlement, which I suppose is only fair as on both those occasions he was serving his monarch in a personal capacity.

I think it was confirmed around the time Harry was in the Caribbean that he and William are occasionally given extra leave to undertake their royal duties.

Well I suppose if he will be returning to military work he deserves some time off. When you consider all the appearances during this diamond jubilee and olympics year, he has done quite a bit. I guess I cant blame him for wanting to have a little fun.

The main problem with people commenting on those DM articles is that they don't see those appearances as work. Which is of course why the comments are so nasty. People never see Harry and when they do see him he's either on holiday, "not working" for the Queen or partying. I don't see this change anytime soon unless he goes to Afghanistan. They can't whine when he does.

The main problem with people commenting on those DM articles is that they don't see those appearances as work. Which is of course why the comments are so nasty. People never see Harry and when they do see him he's either on holiday, "not working" for the Queen or partying. I don't see this change anytime soon unless he goes to Afghanistan. They can't whine when he does.

They can whine when he goes, they'll use the same taxpayers money excuse and site that he's obviously getting more protection than other soldiers. People will always moan about the royals, but they are by far in the minority and when it came down to real voting should it ever occur, most wouldn't even bother. They write and post under silly little names because they are bored, or have problems in their own life, or just don't understand. It's fun for them, so we'll let them have fun and us guys that understand how royals work can sit back and enjoy the spectacle. ;)

You hit the nail on the head. We never see photos of Harry, or William for that matter, when they're at work. The paps don't get anywhere near the RAF bases they're working on, so we never see any pics of them going about their work in the same way as their colleagues do. We actually go weeks, if not months, without seeing any pictures of them at all.

We only ever see photos when they're on holiday, in London for whatever reason, or performing royal duties. That gives the impression that they never do anything else, which is obviously not the case.

Much more than real soldiers, same as William.

What information are you using to come to this conclusion? Do you have some kind of insight into the work schedules of members of the British Armed Forces?

Much more than real soldiers, same as William.

Why dont you read post #325 by Lumutqueen and the quote from the Army website? Snide comments like this really doesn't add to constructive debate, particularly as you do not provide any evidence to support your comments.

William is currently serving as an Search and Rescue pilot for the RAF - if you wish to learn more about that, then again you can research on the web. Alternatively you can look at the Duke of Cambridge current events thread which details recent activity including a rescue within the last week.

Why dont you read post #325 by Lumutqueen and the quote from the Army website? Snide comments like this really doesn't add to constructive debate, particularly as you do not provide any evidence to support your comments.

William is currently serving as an Search and Rescue pilot for the RAF - if you wish to learn more about that, then again you can research on the web. Alternatively you can look at the Duke of Cambridge current events thread which details recent activity including a rescue within the last week.

I don´t need to provide any evidence to give my opinion abot them having much more days off a year than a regular soldier. If you want "evidence" it is you who must go through their current events threads. They have been off for the Jubilee, 2 weeks for watching games at the Olympics, Harry´s been in Washington, has done the Jubilee tour, William has gone on holidays with the Middletonas. That is far more than what a regular man in the Army has a year, and we are only in August. As if I had said something harsh or critiziced their job. Can you tolerate than not everybody is here to say how wonderful they are?

I think people will whine and complain even when he does get deployed, saying that he's taking the spot away from someone who less of a security risk and could 'truly' serve. Some may even go as far as to say that all Harry wants to do is obtain glory while fighting in Afghanistan, completely ignoring the fact that he wants to serve his monarch and country.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom