The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would guess that the time Harry was given off for the Caribbean tour and the Queen's Diamond Jubilee was probably exceptional leave, likely unpaid. As such, it wouldn't come out of his annual leave entitlement, which I suppose is only fair as on both those occasions he was serving his monarch in a personal capacity.

I think it was confirmed around the time Harry was in the Caribbean that he and William are occasionally given extra leave to undertake their royal duties.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Serene Highness

Well I suppose if he will be returning to military work he deserves some time off. When you consider all the appearances during this diamond jubilee and olympics year, he has done quite a bit. I guess I cant blame him for wanting to have a little fun.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Nobility

The main problem with people commenting on those DM articles is that they don't see those appearances as work. Which is of course why the comments are so nasty. People never see Harry and when they do see him he's either on holiday, "not working" for the Queen or partying. I don't see this change anytime soon unless he goes to Afghanistan. They can't whine when he does.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
The main problem with people commenting on those DM articles is that they don't see those appearances as work. Which is of course why the comments are so nasty. People never see Harry and when they do see him he's either on holiday, "not working" for the Queen or partying. I don't see this change anytime soon unless he goes to Afghanistan. They can't whine when he does.
They can whine when he goes, they'll use the same taxpayers money excuse and site that he's obviously getting more protection than other soldiers. People will always moan about the royals, but they are by far in the minority and when it came down to real voting should it ever occur, most wouldn't even bother. They write and post under silly little names because they are bored, or have problems in their own life, or just don't understand. It's fun for them, so we'll let them have fun and us guys that understand how royals work can sit back and enjoy the spectacle.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
You hit the nail on the head. We never see photos of Harry, or William for that matter, when they're at work. The paps don't get anywhere near the RAF bases they're working on, so we never see any pics of them going about their work in the same way as their colleagues do. We actually go weeks, if not months, without seeing any pictures of them at all.

We only ever see photos when they're on holiday, in London for whatever reason, or performing royal duties. That gives the impression that they never do anything else, which is obviously not the case.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The comments aren't too positive. Even though I have to admit... How much free time does he have???
Much more than real soldiers, same as William.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
What information are you using to come to this conclusion? Do you have some kind of insight into the work schedules of members of the British Armed Forces?
Old 08-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Why dont you read post #325 by Lumutqueen and the quote from the Army website? Snide comments like this really doesn't add to constructive debate, particularly as you do not provide any evidence to support your comments.

William is currently serving as an Search and Rescue pilot for the RAF - if you wish to learn more about that, then again you can research on the web. Alternatively you can look at the Duke of Cambridge current events thread which details recent activity including a rescue within the last week.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Why dont you read post #325 by Lumutqueen and the quote from the Army website? Snide comments like this really doesn't add to constructive debate, particularly as you do not provide any evidence to support your comments.

William is currently serving as an Search and Rescue pilot for the RAF - if you wish to learn more about that, then again you can research on the web. Alternatively you can look at the Duke of Cambridge current events thread which details recent activity including a rescue within the last week.
I don´t need to provide any evidence to give my opinion abot them having much more days off a year than a regular soldier. If you want "evidence" it is you who must go through their current events threads. They have been off for the Jubilee, 2 weeks for watching games at the Olympics, Harry´s been in Washington, has done the Jubilee tour, William has gone on holidays with the Middletonas. That is far more than what a regular man in the Army has a year, and we are only in August. As if I had said something harsh or critiziced their job. Can you tolerate than not everybody is here to say how wonderful they are?
Old 08-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I think people will whine and complain even when he does get deployed, saying that he's taking the spot away from someone who less of a security risk and could 'truly' serve. Some may even go as far as to say that all Harry wants to do is obtain glory while fighting in Afghanistan, completely ignoring the fact that he wants to serve his monarch and country.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:58 AM
Nobility

I'm fairly certain all extra time off is unpaid leave which every soldier could ask for (hey I could ask for it at my work). The difference is the use their unpaid leave to perform duties on behalf of the Queen, which is, essentially, also work. I've heard of plenty of people who take 6 months to 1 yr of unpaid leave just to go on a trip around the world. And I would do the same if I could afford it...
Old 08-21-2012, 01:07 AM
Majesty

An article from DM:

Prince Harry hits Las Vegas for marathon pool parties at MGM Grand | Mail Online

Old 08-21-2012, 03:56 AM
Nobility

And here we go again....

(one of the comments below the DM article)

Quote:
I hope Harry does not get deployed to Afghanistan. His presence will heighten the danger to his fellow soldiers and pilots. The Taliban and associates will do all they can to get this plum target and that is an understatement.

The kid can't win...
Old 08-21-2012, 04:16 AM
Gentry

Quote:
And here we go again....

The kid can't win...
The comment section is funny
I certainly would not expect good comments with a headline like that (damn...Daily Mail). Fortunately, the article has stop accepting new comments. Palace intervention?
Old 08-21-2012, 04:33 AM
Heir Apparent

No way! That would merely instigate yet another even worse story. The Palace has no control over the media except should they try to sue . . . which of course they don't!

No one has the the right or ability to prevent the media from printing anything they like and there are few rules . . . perhaps the current investigation may change all that but, as of now, they have not.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:05 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
And here we go again....

The kid can't win...
Except the comments on the DM website like that are true, Henry will put other peoples lives in danger when he goes to a warzone. Why do you think it was kept secret the first time he went? Yes the boys can't win, if they got all the training and no experience it would be a 'waste of money'.

Quote:
They have been off for the Jubilee, 2 weeks for watching games at the Olympics, Harry´s been in Washington, has done the Jubilee tour, William has gone on holidays with the Middletonas.
They didn't have a full two weeks off for the games, they had 4 days max off for the Jubilee, Harry was in Washington for two days (one of which was on an engagement to accept an award btw). When did William go on holiday with the middletons? I don't remember that.

Both boys gets around 38 days off a year, also in regards to William he would have received extra time off when he returned from the falklands in March.

It's completely fair to have different opinions, and not to see the two angel boys other people might see. But it's always good to get the facts straight.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Courtier

I think it is also worthy noting, military schedules vary depending on their assignments I.e. 36 hrs on/ 36 off, 5days on/ 2 days off. My point is that William and Harry have the resources to do more with a quick block of time off than most of the rest of us. Harry may have have had a72 hr opening in his calendar and he and skippy headed for Vegas... Just like that. No requested time off, just grabbed a flight after his last shift and ran away for a few days til he had to report back. Also throughout out the Olympics, there were days Harry was MIA, but then appeared at the evening track events. He very easily could have been at work during the day. Just a thought....out of sight does not mean not working.... Probably more to the contrary.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
He stayed at the Wynn, and I was there too all weekend. I am sooo pissed I didn't know ahead of time but happy we were at the same hotel!! I was actually going to get tix for that pool party mad that I didn't in the end.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
He stayed at the Wynn, and I was there too all weekend. I am sooo pissed I didn't know ahead of time but happy we were at the same hotel!! I was actually going to get tix for that pool party mad that I didn't in the end.
Lmao, I pity you. You could've partied it up with Ryan Lochte aswell.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath
And here we go again....

The kid can't win...
I have a feeling that if William, Harry , or Catherine brought someone back from the dead there would still be moaning and groaning from some quarter or other .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554
Drats . How much does that s**k? Sorry to hear that, but I hope your holiday was nice and relaxing.