Harry and William's Relationship

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It doesn't happen as much here but there are Harry-centric blogs that are convinced William hates Harry, William plots against Harry, William is jealous of Harry, Harry is secretly being groomed to be King, blah, blah, blah. The conspiracies never end.

I don't understand the desire by some to see drama between the two but it exists on social media.

Conspiracies exist forever. This theory that Harry is being prepared in secret to be king, is absurd.

I think they get along, but now William has obligations that Harry has not. William is married, raised a family, meanwhile Harry is single and has more freedom.
They previously had more time to do more things the two, now you can not do both. But I believe and do well.

Other than at Eton and maybe a year or so Ludgrove. They haven't really been in the same place other than training at the RAF for a couple of months when they shared a house and briefly at Sandhurst. William was at university and then in the service. Harry finished school, did his gap year and did his military service in different areas where William was at. When William leaves the RAF, Harry has in South Pole trek, Australia Army time and African volunteer time. Now that everyone is out of the military maybe they will have more time together.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think sometimes one has to take things at face value - first impressions can be very important. So I saw the video once and came away thinking how well William and Harry get on and how funny it is that Harry raid the fridge at the Cambridge's fridge.

Naturally one could watch the video over and over again to convince oneself otherwise, but once is enough to form an impression.

I agree Jacknch. And as other posters have pointed out there due to editing we likely have not seen/heard all of the participants' comments and appearances. IMHO the editors chose the scenes that they believed would fit into the timeframe and were the best of what they filmed.:)

Harry doesn't have to do anything with William if he didn't want too. He doesn't have to share a household or a foundation. He doesn't have to do joint engagements with him or Kate. He didn't have to move from Clarence House and follow his brother to KP.

Charles doesn't do squat with his siblings. Harry could do the same if he wanted too.

I live by myself and my fridge has next to nothing in it. When I go to my friends who have families, their fridge is so full. Harry is a single guy in the middle of huge city with lots places near by to eat out. William is married to Kate who we know likes to cook plus they have a house keeper to keep everything stocked up. Why wouldn't Harry come over for food.

Good points Skippyboo. I find it easy to believe that he has a standing invitation to come over. Plus due to the fact that the Cambridges would have a well-stocked fridge, I can imagine that whomever is preparing the meal would be pleased to see their food enjoyed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at the video a few times and saw tension between the brothers.

I think William said that because of their current schedules they do not see much of each other so his jab at Harry taking food came across as mean spirited, especially since he was trying to say they were close.

The first time I saw the part with W&H I liked it, but after playing it a few time I am convinced they should not have included W&H.

There was a lot of awkward moments,

Oh dear I guess you see what you want to see depending on your point of view. Everyone else saw the closeness.

Just the fact that William say that Harry steals food from the fridge, it seems that he lives there "favor", and I noticed Harry appeared disappointed when he heard

Harry has his own apartment, and if you don't think he couldn't get whatever food or personal items he needed delivered by staff whenever he wanted it, I have a bridge to sell you.

It sounded to me like a "normalizing" anecdote, meant to point out that they're close enough to be in and out of each other's homes. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

It was a TV show the interview would have been edited and not in the order it was shown. Everyone calm down they don't hate each other , see each other every now and then no doubt text each other but don't live in each other's pockets. William is a married man with children don't think Kate would be too happy if Harry came before them. It was a Ant and Dec interview.

In the documentary, William and Harry talked about what it is like to live as neighbours and it was clear they are very close.
William acknowledged that since they both left the Forces, their programmes (charity interest, agendas etc) are different, which is why it is nice to be neighbours - he also revealed that Harry pops round to steal all the food!

I was quite surprised at how relaxed William was, joking with lots of banter and he as Harry are more alike than we are lead to believe.
We rarely see William interact on a personal level and his well-known antipathy toward the media doesn't help. This programme has been able to show a more relaxed and engaged William.

I still have to watch the video, so I won't comment on this until I have my perspective of things. Generally thinking, I do think that their relationship has cooled off in the past two years or so... it's just a personal feeling I get by watching them interacting.
Well this doco is already dated seeing that William, Catherine and the kids spend 90% of their at Anmer Hall and not at KP Apartment 1A, so they are certainly not next door neighbours most of the time. And then William spends his off-duty time with the wife and kids with the occasional Royal Engagement . . . Harry has his interests and engagements as well so they are definitely spending a lot less time together. But they could be texting each other daily for all we know. Or not!

What confuses me is that this was supposed to be a doco about 40 years of the Princes Trust. I think we all got short-changed.

Harry has his own apartment, and if you don't think he couldn't get whatever food or personal items he needed delivered by staff whenever he wanted it, I have a bridge to sell you.

It sounded to me like a "normalizing" anecdote, meant to point out that they're close enough to be in and out of each other's homes. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I love the Tom and Lorenzo take on the two brothers; Harry always flinging open the door of Will and Kate's place and walking in like a sitcom. :lol:

They sound like two normal siblings, comfortable enough with each other but not up each other's butts all the time.

Good night everybody! By any chance do you know where I can see the interview? I live in USA and honestly looked in youtube and couldn't find it. Thanks!

Enviado desde mi iPhone con The Royals Community

I think sometimes one has to take things at face value - first impressions can be very important. So I saw the video once and came away thinking how well William and Harry get on and how funny it is that Harry raid the fridge at the Cambridge's fridge.

Naturally one could watch the video over and over again to convince oneself otherwise, but once is enough to form an impression.

Plus who has time to watch it more than once

I get some pretty funny images in my mind when I think of Harry babysitting for George and Charlotte. It usually starts with a rousing chorus of "Yay! Uncle Harry's here" and ends up with forts being made and a wonderful playtime being had by all three of them. Harry is fantastic with kids and I think K&W's two would take full advantage of that.

I found it interesting that Harry hasn't babysat yet, by his own admission. Also interesting that Charles hasn't changed any of his grandchildren's diapers.

I think if you were to ask Michael Middleton and James Middleton those exact same questions you would get rather different answers. And if you were to ask Princess Anne about her granddaughters and Peter/Zara about their respective nieces I also think you would get a very different answer.

If George and Charlotte grow-up much closer to the Middleton side of the family, I think instead of blaming their parents or Carole, royal fans need to look at the posh attitudes coming from a couple of princes. Don't expect children to fawn over you if you don't make an effort.

I think that Charles changed his own children's nappies and bathed them. Maybe he hasn't been asked to change nappies and perhaps Harry hasn't been asked to babysit.

Do we know that Pippa and James Middleton babysit, change nappies, take George and Charlotte out. Never seen it. They are aunt and uncle to these little ones too. We've never seen Michael Middleton, the other grandad, pushing any prams or George on a swing. Are we to suppose that they are always around them, wiping off goo and changing nappies?

Children like Harry very much, as can be seen from his public engagements with kids and he interacts with them beautifully. He probably plays with George when he sees him which isn't often because the Cambridges are in Norfolk more often than not. He has the reverse of a posh attitude with people, especially children IMO.

I think we would be surprised actually at how little members of the royal family do catch up with each other, even closely related family members. There was joking in that video when Ant and Dec said they would be following Charles for a year. Either William or Harry then said "You'll be seeing more of him than we do, then!" Which, even allowing for banter, doesn't sound like this grandad casually pops in every week to see his offspring and grandkids. He's a very busy man.

Last edited:
One big difference between the Windsor side of the family and the Middleton side is that the Windsor side, for the most part, has daily planners that are filled up months in advance and its well known that Charles is a workaholic, always on the go kind of a guy. Camilla has joked about this a few times even. The Middletons have a business with employees that can well cover anything needed to be done should Mike and Carole dash off to Anmer for a weekend with the grandchildren. I would definitely say that the Middletons have more of an opportunity to be around than the Windsor side does but that doesn't mean that they're more caring or more willing to do the down and dirty side of grandchildren care than anyone else.

George and Charlotte will grow up being close to all of the immediate family and have unique relationships with each of them. Its not a competition at all.

One big difference between the Windsor side of the family and the Middleton side is that the Windsor side, for the most part, has daily planners that are filled up months in advance and its well known that Charles is a workaholic, always on the go kind of a guy. Camilla has joked about this a few times even. The Middletons have a business with employees that can well cover anything needed to be done should Mike and Carole dash off to Anmer for a weekend with the grandchildren. I would definitely say that the Middletons have more of an opportunity to be around than the Windsor side does but that doesn't mean that they're more caring or more willing to do the down and dirty side of grandchildren care than anyone else.

George and Charlotte will grow up being close to all of the immediate family and have unique relationships with each of them. Its not a competition at all.

I don't know. Princess Anne is busier than Charles, if we go by engagements. And she appears to be an attentive, affectionate, and available grandma to her granddaughters. Prince Harry is a part-time royal, with no other employment(at the moment), he also has no home commitments (children or wife of his own). As for the Norfolk excuse, well Pippa and James also live in London, it doesn't seem to be a problem for them, and they don't have the KP easy access that he has. He's had 898 days of opportunity to babysit, so far it hasn't been a priority.

I think we have two old-fashioned princes who think men should take a hands-off approach to childcare, that it's 'women's work'. Either that or neither are that close to William so ipso facto they aren't close to his children either.

It's amazing what some people have taken from a 10 minute interview. To form the view of what sort of uncle Harry is compared to James and what sort of grandfather Charles is compared to Michael. We know nothing about them really and it's not a game with a winner.

Do we know that Pippa and James Middleton babysit, change nappies, take George and Charlotte out. Never seen it. They are aunt and uncle to these little ones too. We've never seen Michael Middleton, the other grandad, pushing any prams or George on a swing. Are we to suppose that they are always around them, wiping off goo and changing nappies?

For one, I’ll go by Pippa’s Matt Lauer interview. Where she gushed about Prince George and talked about how the grandchildren are now the hub of the family, and has made them all even closer than before. And how they (Michael,Carole,Pippa,James) try to spend every weekend possible with the grandkids. We never hear interviews like that from Charles and Harry. Instead we get - no, I haven’t changed their nappies and no, I haven’t babysat. If you asked Harry if he spends most weekends with George and Charlotte, he’d probably laugh and say “only if they want to come to the pub with me and my mates”.

I would hope they don't spend all weekend with them Will
And Kate need some time without them. Harry mightn't have babysat no many uncles would. But Harry did drive George to the queens Xmas party IIRC

Pippa probably does see George and Charlotte. However we don't see James or Pippa taking them anywhere, nor do we know whether they changed the babies' nappies.

Plus, when asked about them by Lauer she is hardly likely to say "Oh, yes, I see them now and again" is she? If both the younger Middletons see George and Charlotte every weekend, which I doubt, it's odd that George has only ever been seen on outings with Carole and Carole and Kate, not any other Middleton, not even grandad, however close they all are.

Pippa and James are on holiday at St Barts now, doing their own thing, just as Harry does his own thing with his friends. He didn't say he never saw his niece and nephew, just that he'd never babysat them, and we don't know that the Cambridges have ever asked him to. Perhaps Kate prefers her mother to do any babysitting required.

My adult son in his 30's has never babysat his baby twin niece and nephew who are 14 months old. That doesn't mean he isn't a devoted uncle, because he is. He goes over to his sister's house and plays with them. At Anmer and KP there is a nanny, housekeeper who does child-care duties and two parents and yet Harry is selfish and old-fashioned because he hasn't baby-sat? Oh, come on!!

Last edited:
Pippa probably does see George and Charlotte. However we don't see James or Pippa taking them anywhere, nor do we know whether they changed the babies' nappies.

Plus, when asked about them by Lauer she is hardly likely to say "Oh, yes, I see them now and again" is she? If both the younger Middletons see George and Charlotte every weekend, which I doubt, it's odd that George has only ever been seen on outings with Carole and Carole and Kate, not any other Middleton, not even grandad, however close they all are.

Pippa and James are on holiday at St Barts now, doing their own thing, just as Harry does his own thing with his friends. He didn't say he never saw his niece and nephew, just that he'd never babysat them, and we don't know that the Cambridges have ever asked him to. Perhaps Kate prefers her mother to do any babysitting required.

My adult son in his 30's has never babysat his baby twin niece and nephew who are 14 months old. That doesn't mean he isn't a devoted uncle, because he is. He goes over to his sister's house and plays with them. At Anmer and KP there is a nanny, housekeeper who does child-care duties and two parents and yet Harry is selfish and old-fashioned because he hasn't baby-sat? Oh, come on!!
I agree. Babysitting is usually a need, you need someone to take care of the kid when you do something else. Otherwise you usually hang out with the parents as well. I mean, so take the kid to movies or such but that's when they're older. Since William and Kate already has a nanny and housekeeper (with some childcaring in her duties) it doesn't seem odd that they don't have need for Harry to babysit. And we've seen George with Carol and I have to say that grandparents must be WAY more usual to ask to babysit than an aunt or uncle is.

Curryong excellent post my sons and daughter all have children and they all love their nieces and nephews but they don't babysit them. That's my job ?

Well, we won't agree, clearly. In 20 years we'll see who the Cambridge children are closer to. I say it will be Pippa and James, some of you will say it'll be Harry. I feel pretty confident in my prediction. We'll see.

Well, we won't agree, clearly. In 20 years we'll see who the Cambridge children are closer to. I say it will be Pippa and James, some of you will say it'll be Harry. I feel pretty confident in my prediction. We'll see.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. Its their private lives and they'll form their own relationships, in their own time and for the most part will be totally out of the public eye. We can only speculate what may be.

Technically, they both live in an occupied palace estate held in trust by the Queen, but not privately owned by the Royal Family. It is their "home" then only to the extent that they live there.

Curryong excellent post my sons and daughter all have children and they all love their nieces and nephews but they don't babysit them. That's my job ?

Princes are not supposed to be babysitters. We are talking about the Royal Family, not Mr. and Mrs. Jones.

I'm not sure why we are speculating who is or will be closer to George and Charlotte or debating whether or not Harry could, would or should babysit his nephew and niece. It makes no sense at all and it is time to move back to topic.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. Its their private lives and they'll form their own relationships, in their own time and for the most part will be totally out of the public eye. We can only speculate what may be.

If "we can only speculate" about private relationships then I'll speculate that William is best friends with Charles Spencer, Prince Andrew, and Prince Edward. And that William loves Anne like a second mother and calls her "mum". ;):D

I think when royals become adults their degree of fondness for one another becomes much clearer. Maybe it's just me...

I think George/Charlotte will love Harry the same way William loves Anne/Andrew/Edward. I guess we can only speculate what that means. :cool:

I just see two normal siblings that like to tease each other.

I just see two normal siblings that like to tease each other.

I agree. And they seemed at ease with Ant and Dec. Enough to let down their guard and compete with one another for the floor, which was nice to see. It seems natural with them and you sometimes see it come out when they are sitting in the stands of some sporting event, waiting on a balcony or at some polo match. It gets captured in some photos. But we don't usually get to hear it, where in most interviews, Harry defers a bit to William until it's Harry's turn to speak.
To me this looked like brothers bantering. Hilarious and lovely to see. But then, I'm American and a child of the Hippie era, so this would tickle me. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom