The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-10-2016, 10:00 AM
Gentry

I find it very sad belittle someone because she has dyslexia,we can know how the person is, when it is so biased

Old 01-10-2016, 10:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
I find it very sad belittle someone because she has dyslexia,we can know how the person is, when it is so biased
Huh? I know exactly who the person is. My dear sister, who teases me about my asperger and I her about her dyslexia. Because none of us put our worth on those things. It's just part of who we are so we can tease each other about that. Ofc we would never tease someone we don't know that well about it! That's just stupid! But since we know each others boundries and sore spots we can freely tease about such thingss while avoiding others.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
William's comment about Harry taking food was unnecessary.
Harry looked upset by this comment.

I think it was natural that Harry came over for meals.

The program finished shooting around mid September. Harry probably had just arrived from Africa or had only been back a week or so and probably had not restocked his refrigerator and was coming over for a few meals at the Cambridge household until he settled back into life in London.

A single guy living alone and who had been away for three months is not going to have food in his refrigerator so going to his brother's house who lives in the same complex is what most normal people would do.

I do not know how much household staff Harry employs, if any.

Harry could drive two miles to Clarence House for his meals, but I believe Clarence House does not have a kitchen. In QEQM's day, she received all her meals from Buckingham Palace. Harry could drive to BP for his meals or just have carryout.

I will place a bet, that after William's comment, Harry was no longer going over to Apt 1A for his meal.
Oh dear! If thise were the conclusions drawn from the banter in the documentary, it is very clear that our British humour does not not travel well to the Americas.

Good thing the British RF dont have to worry about the American audience!!
Old 01-10-2016, 10:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Harry could drive two miles to Clarence House for his meals, but I believe Clarence House does not have a kitchen. In QEQM's day, she received all her meals from Buckingham Palace.
Really? Where did you hear that? Seems like complete drivel to me.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:35 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Really? Where did you hear that? Seems like complete drivel to me.
I do have to chuckle though at the image I got of Charles and Camilla hosting a luncheon or a dinner at Clarence House and a very long line of waiters walking from Buck House to CH with silver covered platters.
-
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-10-2016, 12:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I do have to chuckle though at the image I got of Charles and Camilla hosting a luncheon or a dinner at Clarence House and a very long line of waiters walking from Buck House to CH with silver covered platters.
-
Maybe they have mopeds, like pizza-delivery-people
Old 01-10-2016, 12:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Oh dear! If thise were the conclusions drawn from the banter in the documentary, it is very clear that our British humour does not not travel well to the Americas.

Good thing the British RF dont have to worry about the American audience!!
I think that the point being made (by Australians mostly, not Americans, btw) is that Harry does not seem to find these comments funny. Maybe he doesn't get British humor either, or maybe a put down on certain subjects isn't funny, no matter where you grew up.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Charles made light of William's growing bald spot during his speech at his son's wedding reception

This is all par for the course. William and Harry have had this banter and humour for years.

Harry's defenders have more of an issue with it than Harry appears to. He gives as well as he takes.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I’m surprised that people are able to tell how Harry felt about the "scrounging food" comment, since the camera shot of him was so quick. Throughout the interview the brothers were at ease and happy, yet that 2-second moment seems to be used to sum up their entire relationship.

William and Harry tease each other all the time. Harry used to joke about William’s bald spot and has stated on several occasions that William wasn’t cool. That’s the type of relationship they have. Even people that have interviewed them, say that that off-camera, they tease one another constantly.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Prince Charles made light of William's growing bald spot during his speech at his son's wedding reception

This is all par for the course. William and Harry have had this banter and humour for years.

Harry's defenders have more of an issue with it than Harry appears to. He gives as well as he takes.

This.

Also, I can't imagine that being family of the Duke of Edinburgh, anyone in this family is so very uptight about ribbing and cheeky humor.

To say nothing of the fact that Harry is not a wilting flower, either, when joking about his brother.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Those William haters should also be looking at him for possible regicide in the future as Charles stated at his wedding that he would push his wheelchair off a cliff. 😉

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-10-2016, 04:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Here is the show:
Thank you for the link, Roslyn. I watched the show in the wee hours as a result.

Quote:
William's comment about Harry taking food was unnecessary. Harry looked upset by this comment. I think it was natural that Harry came over for meals.
Hi, Queen Camilla! I saw something different at that moment and I watched closely precisely because of your comment. If you re-watch the tape, you will see that when Harry faces forward there is actually an amused look on his face, he is smiling. What we see initially is a bit of the 'play'. They are in 'jokey mode'.

It is extremely unlikely (imo) that either of these young men (especially Harry) will be anything but 'on' when the cameras are rolling. They are working with Ant and Dec after all, too.

BTW (a bit of an aside) I have this hunch that William is a bit like his grandmother, the Queen, who can look really scowling with her face in repose. I heard this commented on once by someone about the Queen. She has to be conscious about her face. I think William is the same. His face in repose has a stern look.

Quote:
The program finished shooting around mid September. Harry probably had just arrived from Africa or had only been back a week or so and probably had not restocked his refrigerator and was coming over for a few meals at the Cambridge household until he settled back into life in London.
It's a charming tableau but I think William et al were already at Anmer by then. I also think it is more likely Harry slipped over to Clarence House for some snacks (if he had to, wanted to). I think William was just making a game, playing into the romantic notion people have.

Quote:
A single guy living alone and who had been away for three months is not going to have food in his refrigerator so going to his brother's house who lives in the same complex is what most normal people would do.
Harry is not a normal guy. He is wealthy. His household, be it servants from his father's house or grandmother's, would have known when he was returning and made sure all was ready. (My turn for spinning). First night back, he would have been all set to eat whatever, and watch the telly in peace, alone, or with that secret girlfriend.

Quote:
I do not know how much household staff Harry employs, if any.
Quite so, but I'd make a wager he is well tended.

Quote:
Harry could drive two miles to Clarence House for his meals, but I believe Clarence House does not have a kitchen. In QEQM's day, she received all her meals from Buckingham Palace. Harry could drive to BP for his meals or just have carryout.
Charles had Clarence House significantly upgraded before he moved in after the QEQM's death. He would have put in one kitchen at least, methinks. My understanding is Charles does significant entertaining. If anything, I could see Harry showing up for one of those meals. Better than take-out.

Quote:
I will place a bet, that after William's comment, Harry was no longer going over to Apt 1A for his meal.
I would bet equally that Harry never goes over there except when invited. It's a very innocuous joke.

Overall, I found the interview with the two sons in keeping with an Ant and Dec 'mode': a bit frenetic. William was incredibly expansive, as was Charles. Charles is very natural (the effect of Camilla, I have always thought, she probably convinced him way-back in their marriage that the more Charles showed of his natural self the more accessible and likable he would be on camera, and that is certainly true). William has taken a cue from Charles (maybe) because he as well was presenting with exceptional ease and naturalness. Well done.

Both men seem very much Charles in their manner and humor. Probably a great deal of their grandfather Prince Philip, too, is in their humor. Philip, as we all know, can be a bit biting.

What puzzled me is their continuing failure to take an interest in their father's Trust. This is not the first time Charles has mentioned his hope on camera. Harry is the perfect candidate for the job. Hope he steps up. It's clear that Charles' work load is shifting, and he needs the Trust to be taken up by someone.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:30 PM
Serene Highness

Gosh, I wouldn't want to be the sort of person whose refrigerator was not appealing enough to be raided by my friends and family!

Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Re: Lack of interest in Prince's Trust

Maybe they want to follow their own path and develop their own ideas to help people and the world instead of just filling in for their father. The Prince's trust is well established now and can survive without a direct Royal involvement in needed.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-10-2016, 05:49 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing I've learned over the many moons on this earth is the difference between being a guest and being part of a family. A guest will always wait until someone offers them a beer. Family just goes and gets one for themselves and oh... is that a turkey leg in there? Ah... I could use one of those too. I really don't think any of them, Charles, William, Harry, Kate or whomever feel like a guest in each other's homes but there's always a sense of familial familiarity that is a bond that families share.

I think the classic "joke" mode that the brothers engage in with each other is something very special between the two of them and, to me, it indicates how close they really are. They also take after their father in this respect. Who can forget when asked what his reaction was to W&K's engagement, Charles replies "Well... they've been practicing long enough!". Charles would never dream of cracking that kind of statement for someone that wasn't close to him and family.

I agree with Skippyboo about Will and Harry's interest in the Prince's Trust. They're making their own mark on the world with their own Royal Foundation which encompasses areas that each is personally passionate about. Who knows? In time, the Prince's Trust just may change to the King's Trust and after Charles passes, The King Charles Memorial Trust. He's created quite a legacy with his involvement in these projects and I think its fitting that they remain as a monumental organization that has helped so many. Just my thoughts on it.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-10-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
Also, I can't imagine that being family of the Duke of Edinburgh, anyone in this family is so very uptight about ribbing and cheeky humor.

Exactly what I thought haha
Old 01-10-2016, 06:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
I’m surprised that people are able to tell how Harry felt about the "scrounging food" comment, since the camera shot of him was so quick. Throughout the interview the brothers were at ease and happy, yet that 2-second moment seems to be used to sum up their entire relationship.

William and Harry tease each other all the time. Harry used to joke about William’s bald spot and has stated on several occasions that William wasn’t cool. That’s the type of relationship they have. Even people that have interviewed them, say that that off-camera, they tease one another constantly.
An excellent summary of the brothers' relationship and well-known banter IMHO.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Gosh, I wouldn't want to be the sort of person whose refrigerator was not appealing enough to be raided by my friends and family!
Different families have different ways. With a lot of younger siblings, different habits develop, but this I know, no one's fridge is a free-for-all. It's an extension of the pantry and one always asks, guest or not.

However, my point is made, this is an embellishment that 'plays well' to the public. Creates that sense of 'like us'. Whether it's true or not, who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Re: Lack of interest in Prince's Trust

Maybe they want to follow their own path and develop their own ideas to help people and the world instead of just filling in for their father. The Prince's trust is well established now and can survive without a direct Royal involvement in needed.
Maybe I'd accept that rationale in a Joe Blow (Common Man) household, maybe. Generally the interests and work of our parents are of interest to us and we carry them on one way or another. More so in this case because so much is institutional obligation for them, and this is a familial achievement, nothing to sneeze at. That they do not appear interested remains an oddity to my mind, given their father's expressed wish.

BTW I am a bit puzzled: it is stated in the video that Ant and Dec will be traveling with Charles for a year, yet the show is described as a 'one off'. So what is happening? A year long documentary is being made, or not?
Old 01-10-2016, 06:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I took it that show was the culmination of the one year association with Ant and Dec, hence the comment by Charles at the end about hoping one of his sons would take an interest.

As for the refrigerator issue, I think there is a lot of variation between families. No way did I ever regard my mother's refrigerator as fair game after I left home, and I would never have dreamed of going to my brother/sister-in-law's refrigerator without asking. I would have been astonished if they had opened mine and started eating things from it without an invitation.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I took it that show was the culmination of the one year association with Ant and Dec, hence the comment by Charles at the end about hoping one of his sons would take an interest.

As for the refrigerator issue, I think there is a lot of variation between families. No way did I ever regard my mother's refrigerator as fair game after I left home, and I would never have dreamed of going to my brother/sister-in-law's refrigerator without asking. I would have been astonished if they had opened mine and started eating things from it without an invitation.
And that is totally ok. It doesn't mean that your family is not close. But in mine, it's fair game. Maybe you half-ask as in "this chicken is not saved for something, is it?", but it's free for family. Different families :)

Tags
prince harry, prince william, relationships