Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I rather ask myself: Harry is hugely popular, and beyond british citizens, 1000s of foreigners will pour into the small town of Windsor.... How can the narrow streets contain all these spectators?!

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be very easy to have processions through the town, if that was wanted. The normal route for state visits goes very close by the gate closest to the chapel. And it could be easily extended by roughly a mile using Peascod, William, and Victoria streets IF they decided to. (I think the Queen's 90th birthday drive did something like that.)

In case there are any doubts, the Queen is confirmed to attend the wedding and it will be a full religious wedding.

I know there were doubts at the beginning of this relationship.

Anyway, I am thrilled that it will be a St. George's as I always knew it would. I have a sentimental weak spot for the jewel of a church.;)

it won't be able to accommodate the kind of crowds there would have been in London

If they 'innovate' and wish to include the Public [as they have indicated] a carriage drive down the 'Long Mile' after the ceremony could be seen by MANY thousands of well-wishers...

It would be very easy to have processions through the town, if that was wanted. The normal route for state visits goes very close by the gate closest to the chapel. And it could be easily extended by roughly a mile using Peascod, William, and Victoria streets IF they decided to. (I think the Queen's 90th birthday drive did something like that.)

If they did this it would be really awesome... otherwise - what would they do with the deluge of royal watchers descending on Windsor?

I hope they map out a long procession/recession route. A very, very long one.

If they 'innovate' and wish to include the Public [as they have indicated] a carriage drive down the 'Long Mile' after the ceremony could be seen by MANY thousands of well-wishers...

Could they do it both before and after the ceremony?

Oh and what's the long mile?

Wouldn’t that be nice.

Last edited:
Sorry I mean foreign royals. :D
Okay that's great, I am looking forward to the guest list. :flowers:

That would be an awesome route... please let them do it pre and post ceremony!!

It's always a bit savourous to see the diferences between some wishful thinkings and the reality. Windsor has been called, on this very same forum, a "second rate venue" not less.
So despite some media pressure and let's some some enthusiastic fans, the BRF and the couple itself did not jump in the "Princess Diary III : Meghan goes to London" bandwagon and instead chose THEIR venue for THEIR wedding. I think it's just great and a credit to Harry and Meghan.
Besides, it's a clear and elegant reminder to everyone who they are in the order of succession and their position inside the Family (aka the younger son of the heir).
Windsor is an incredible place, it will be a wonderful wedding.

Last edited:
Pre-Wedding may be 'too much', think of the implications for the Brides Maquillage, Hair and Gown, also she will be with her Father before the ceremony, and with her hubby only afterwards...

#RoyalWedding update: It will be at St George's Chapel, Windsor in May. Meghan will be baptised, and confirmed in to church before service. She will become joint US-UK national in time. Royal family paying for core elements. First joint engagement this Friday in Nottingham! Via CNN

Called it!! ? I strongly believed it was going to be St. George's Chapel and I was right :) Looking forward to it - glad it's going to be televised :)

I wonder...will they do something more relaxed and laid back like an English Country Wedding?

LaRae

Pre-Wedding may be 'too much', think of the implications for the Brides Maquillage, Hair and Gown, also she will be with her Father before the ceremony, and with her hubby only afterwards...

I don't understand why this would prevent them doing a longer procession?

It's always a bit savourous to see the diferences between some wishful thinkings and the reality. Windsor has been called, on this very same forum, a "second rate venue" not less.
So despite some media pressure and let's some some enthusiastic fans, the BRF and the couple itself did not jump in the "Princess Diary III : Meghan goes to London" bandwagon and instead chose THEIR venue for THEIR wedding. I think it's just great and a credit to Harry and Meghan.
Besides, it's a clear and elegant reminder to everyone who they are in the order of succession and their position inside the Family (aka the younger son of the heir).
Windsor is an incredible place, it will be a wonderful wedding.

This was unnecessary.

It's like you were unable to celebrate them choosing the venue without taking some really unnecessary shots at those of us who wished for something else. And the whole Princess Diary crack was very insulting.

Maybe I'm a wishful thinker, but at least I try to be nice.

Last edited:
Half the fun of watching those weddings was the procession and the pomp and circumstance of them. Watching the car waiting for Catherine to get in. People cheering madly as each senior BRF couple exited in a car/carriage for the Abbey/Cathedral.

There was none of that drama with E&S - even with the stairs there.

The arrivals of the main players at WA are always a big disappointment to me. You get a lot of crowd noise, yes, but that's it. The way they set up a canopy protecting the path to the door means a largely blocked view. It's not great. St. George's steps give a wide, expansive view that I much prefer.

A LONG procession before the Ceremony might result in tangled Hair [it can be windy on that drive], and crumpled fabric...
A long Drive AFTER the Ceremony means these things would matter less, since the newly weds can freshen up privately before greeting their guests at the reception.

The arrivals of the main players at WA are always a big disappointment to me. You get a lot of crowd noise, yes, but that's it. The way they set up a canopy protecting the path to the door means a largely blocked view. It's not great. St. George's steps give a wide, expansive view that I much prefer.

Which wedding at the Abbey had a canopy?

A LONG procession before the Ceremony might result in tangled Hair [it can be windy on that drive], and crumpled fabric...
A long Drive AFTER the Ceremony means these things would matter less, since the newly weds can freshen up privately before greeting their guests at the reception.

Oh I guess I assumed the procession would have Meghan in the car with the glass top, and the recession would be in the carriage.

That's actually what Sophie did - she arrived in the car and left in the carriage. The only thing I'd like added is a longer route pre-post wedding.

Good to know I was right about a May wedding at St. George's. Lovely choice.

St. George always made more sense to me. I imagine it will look extremely welcoming, airy and light in May.

Disappointed that there is no balcony appearance !!!

Even if he is pushed further down after baby Cambridge is born but he still is the 1 of the 2 sons of the future king .

Is Windsor too far from BP ? They can't make a balcony appearance ?

Full statement issued by Prince Harry's communication's secretary, regarding the wedding:

"Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are extremely grateful for the warm public response following yesterday's announcement of their engagement. In a happy moment in their lives, it means a great deal to them that so many people throughout the UK, the Commonwealth, and around the world are celebrating with them.
The couple are delighted to be able to announce that their wedding will be held in St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle in May next year. As with all members of the royal family, Windsor is a very special place for Prince Harry and he and Ms Markle have regularly spent time there over the last year and a half.

Are we sure it's going to be televised? There are no camera's allowed in St George's Chapel.
To avoid mistakes or confusion: I'd love to watch their wedding on TV, it's just because of the general protocol there.

Yes, it’s very likely going to be televised. We Americans watched both Edward and Charles’s weddings televised from Windsor. There are cameras allowed in, just not for the very private ceremonies like; Garter, Easter, and Victorian Order Service.

There’s likely going to be a carriage procession through Windsor like the Wessex’s had back in ‘99.’

This will be a both British and American Royal Celebration!

Last edited:
Disappointed that there is no balcony appearance !!!

Even if he is pushed further down after baby Cambridge is born but he still is the 1 of the 2 sons of the future king .

Is Windsor too far from BP ? They can't make a balcony appearance ?

More than an hour drive, so not possible.

Why the balcony appearance is so important?

Could it not be in relation to guest numbers, as 5th or 6th in line to the throne is there a requirement for the same number of official guests to be asked. If it is solely friends and family, the other venues could actually be too large.

That makes sense..I wondered where it was they were taking these long country walks without running into people (who might have cameras etc).

This, marrying at St George, ties into their sentimental/romantic take on things so far.

LaRae
:previous: I was thinking the same thing. Either staying in Windsor or going outside of London where people aren't expecting to see them.

Lainey's source is reporting that St. George is what Harry and Meghan wants, and other senior royals wanted all the pomp and circumstance if it had been up to them. Take it as what you will, but here is the link!

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will get married in May at St George’s Chapel in Windsor

Could it not be in relation to guest numbers, as 5th or 6th in line to the throne is there a requirement for the same number of official guests to be asked. If it is solely friends and family, the other venues could actually be too large.

There will still be some must invites, but far less than William's. I don't think normal people can count 800 in family and close friends.

I wonder...will they do something more relaxed and laid back like an English Country Wedding?

LaRae

More like Pippa's?
Could be.

What I am wondering is whether it will be televised in Times Square, like William's was?

I think St. George's is a lovely choice. It is smaller, somewhat more intimate, venue, and very beautiful. Harry's position does not "require" a large London spectacle, and he and Meghan may prefer the intimacy of St. George's and the possibility of a reception on the grounds, or in the castle. He doesn't owe the public a spectacle. Perhaps neither of them wants to be a spectacle. People cite his status as second son of the heir...in my view, he could be a King and choose to be married in the way that he and his fiancée choose. He has done and continues to do great work for the people of Britain and around the word. That is what is important. He is giving the people a reasonable glimpse of his private life and that's fine by me. So far they are controlling the agenda, and that is a good and healthy thing for both of them.

Harry could easily fill 400 or so seats at St George's with family, friends, representatives of his charities, vets from IG etc. It could be rather awkward for Meghan to issue 400 invites to her wedding, especially as most of those she invited would have to travel long distances. Most of us don't have 400 or so close family and friends who would be available for a wedding in another country.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom