Harry & Meghan: Tour of Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand - October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done this flight a number of times over the years - on BA not QANTAS and in business class. I was rest perfectly and able to go to work within a couple of hours of landing (landed 6.00 a.m. and at work at 8.00 a.m.) I couldn't do that if I travelled economy or premium economy but can in the lie flat beds in business class. It is nice to have the extra day to relax but isn't really necessary in my opinion.

Good for you! You may have done this several times over the years but Meghan and Harry have not. And at least you can go to work and not have to face the world's media and thousands of people waiting to see you. They don't have the luxury of looking tired from jetlag. This the only rest day for this tour. Better to rest and get ready for the 16 day stretch to come.

Last edited:
:previous: This could be an excellent opportunity for Jessica to scope out some Aussie fashion, obviously not for now but for the future, same for NZ and the islands.

:previous:I think that depends a lot on the individual, how well s/he is able to sleep with noise and movement in the cabin, and also the direction of the flight. We do a fair number of long-haul flights in business class, and sometimes I feel perfectly fine, and sometimes I feel as though I am walking through cold molasses. IMO a day tacked on to the front end of the trip was very smart, because you just never know how jet lag is going to hit you.

Yes I agree that it varies from person to person. Arriving in the morning and staying awake for the rest of the day (if possible)though is a good idea to help them to try and adjust to the new time zone.?

Ahhhh!!!! I spend the weekend out of town, and all this fun happens while I was driving back. I thought I was good until Monday night my time. ? Glad to see they made it ok. And I got goose bumps listening to the broadcasters while they thought their flight was landing. :lol: Aussies sure love the royals.

I have done this flight a number of times over the years - on BA not QANTAS and in business class. I was rest perfectly and able to go to work within a couple of hours of landing (landed 6.00 a.m. and at work at 8.00 a.m.) I couldn't do that if I travelled economy or premium economy but can in the lie flat beds in business class. It is nice to have the extra day to relax but isn't really necessary in my opinion.

I’ve done several flights where my destination is about 12-13 hours different than where I’m based. Once in economy and other times in either first class or business class. I have to say, I find adjusting back to where I live to be much easier than where I’m visiting. My body is used to a certain schedule, and if I have to flip it day and night all of sudden, it’s difficult. I believe London and Sydney is 10 hours apart, not quite exactly day and night, but close enough. I expect that even if there isn’t jet lag, there is adjusting to the time difference. Plus, they are going to keep a very packed schedule with the world watching. We, as ordinary folks, have the luxury of a yawn here and there and be able to go to bed early in the evening, they don’t. Especially, considering this is there only off day. And when I say off day, it’s only in front of the camera. I believe they are still taking briefings and admin stuff behind the scenes from what we’ve been told.

Rookie mistake, IMO! Jessica may well be going in a private capacity, but the optics aren't great on this.

Unless Jessica shows up at an official event not open to the public, I fail to see how it’s bad optics for her to spend her own money to go to Australia. Meghan was at both the opening and closing IG ceremony in Toronto with her friend(s) and mom while she was dating Harry. So now her friends can’t go to IG? And apparently, Harry has friends that are going as well. Is that bad optics, or does it only apply when it’s Meghan’s friends?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhhh!!!! I spend the weekend out of town, and all this fun happens while I was driving back. I thought I was good until Monday night my time. ? Glad to see they made it ok. And I got goose bumps listening to the broadcasters while they thought their flight was landing. :lol: Aussies sure love the royals.

Plenty of fun to come jacqui24.

Omid got a lot of national TV exposure - saw him interviewed by both channel 7 and channel 9, while everyone was waiting outside Admiralty House.

Someone is saying Meghan's folders are from "OfficeWorks" - and that they've already sold out! :lol:

Day is brightening, but everything is soaked.

Mid-morning news on now, but only the top story on channel 9.

Just out of curiosity, does any one know which reporters/networks from the USA are covering the tour.

Daily Mail already has photos and video up online -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...awn-Australian-tour-ten-person-entourage.html

Rain has really set in now - at least not wild and windy.

A thumbs up from Harry before getting in the car.

Prince Harry, Meghan arrive in Sydney ahead of Invictus Games - Invictus Games - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Harry in the doorway of Admiratly House. (Meghan went in ahead.)

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/...00000578-6275285-image-m-37_1539552455815.jpg

Amusing in the 2nd video watching Harry asking the aide if there's anywhere for his bag to go, and then opening the boot of the car himself, putting the bag in there, and closing it again!!!

Amusing in the 2nd video watching Harry asking the aide if there's anywhere for his bag to go, and then opening the boot of the car himself, putting the bag in there, and closing it again!!!

Maybe it will be headline news in the UK, to match Meghan closing her own car door the other day irish_royalist. :lol:

Just out of curiosity, does any one know which reporters/networks from the USA are covering the tour.

Omid, the US reporter, was outside Admiratly House very early this morning Axeyman.

He said there was a press briefing at Buckingham Palace for the tour a week or so ago.

He said everyone from the U.S. is covering it, and on top of that, there were a lot or media people from other countries at the briefing.

He said the tour will have global media coverage.

Both channel 7 and channel 9 said a lot of media tried to get on the same flight as the couple - so they could file stories on how the journey was.

One of the channels said the flight was full, mostly Royal entourage and media, with only a few normal passengers.

But they were saying that when it was the incorrect British Airways plane - so not sure how true that info is. :lol:

Their first event is tomorrow.

They didn't come on an air force jet because they aren't senior enough. That is reserved for The Queen and Charles and maybe William - the future Kings.

Today is a 'rest day' - their only one on the tour.

Their first public event will be tomorrow at the Opera House.

They aren't senior enough for the official welcome at the airport that Charles and William get. They had the same level of welcome as Andrew last year and Edward earlier this year.

MM, I dont think that is true actually. Harry has gotten official welcomes with chartered jets in other CW/CR nations and they will also get that in NZ. According to reporters, they specifically wanted a lower key arrival because of the length and schedule of the tour.

Plenty of fun to come jacqui24.

Omid got a lot of national TV exposure - saw him interviewed by both channel 7 and channel 9, while everyone was waiting outside Admiralty House.

Someone is saying Meghan's folders are from "OfficeWorks" - and that they've already sold out! :lol:

Day is brightening, but everything is soaked.

Mid-morning news on now, but only the top story on channel 9.

Omid really is not a great reporter lol. I wish he wouldn't get as much exposure.

Omid covers events well. He needs to cultivate better sources though. Which isn’t surprising given that he’s worked in US until recently.

Omid covers events well. He needs to cultivate better sources though. Which isn’t surprising given that he’s worked in US until recently.

He just doesn't really understand the positions or royal family IMO. He is wrong on so many things lol.

Then again, I am often shocked by how wrong even senior reporters are! Perhaps you are right that he will get better as time goes on/he gains more sources...

MM, I dont think that is true actually. Harry has gotten official welcomes with chartered jets in other CW/CR nations and they will also get that in NZ. According to reporters, they specifically wanted a lower key arrival because of the length and schedule of the tour.

I wasn't talking about other countries - only Australia. I didn't make that clear obviously.

Dumb question time: I am assuming given the length of the trip that they have more than one carry-on and one checked bag. How does the airline handle passengers with lots of luggage on a regular commercial flight? (I don't fly much - its a long way to the ground from 30,000 feet)

Dumb question time: I am assuming given the length of the trip that they have more than one carry-on and one checked bag. How does the airline handle passengers with lots of luggage on a regular commercial flight? (I don't fly much - its a long way to the ground from 30,000 feet)

Special arrangements can be made in this case. First class luggage is kept separately and sent out first anyways. They would have people on their team corredinating this with the airline.

:lol:What Meghan puts in her nose to stay healthy on a long-distance flight!:lol:

Sorry everyone.

I think we'll be getting years of Meghan's Tig postings - they've been saved by the media for times like these!:lol:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...an-Markle-beat-jet-lag-landing-Australia.html

I’m surprised they haven’t talked about her recommendations about using eating to adjust to time zone yet. Though that doesn’t generate as much clicks.

Depending on the airline, when you travel business or first class, you can have in your ticket price 2 to 3 checked bags upwards of 60lbs or more each, and one cabin bag. I normally travel business with one checked and one cabin with a purse. However, If the need be, I have the option to check another bag. You can also have more than 3 for additional costs. I've even travelled with skis, and one of my friends had 2 checked bags and a huge musical instrument that counted as his 3rd checked luggage.

Part of the airport to Admiralty House convoy this morning Lady Marlboro, was an extremely large black van - extremely large.

It was the last vehicle, and said in the TV reports to be the luggage holder. So more baggage than normal travellers.

The entourage probably bought all their high-tech gear with them to keep in touch with headquarters back in the UK, should any last minute hitch need sorting out.

Not a good photo - but you can see the size of the van.

At the back, towards the left of the photo, with a door open - that's the luggage vehicle.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...GfLduSasQUo_wmHz72XP52wDe5_7QCrtwm0aduAUjVuEk

And the luggage bringing up the rear of the convoy this morning -

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/...ke_of_Sussex_and_his_w-a-62_1539566683367.jpg

I’m surprised they haven’t talked about her recommendations about using eating to adjust to time zone yet. Though that doesn’t generate as much clicks.

There's a bit about eating and jet-lag at the bottom of the article jacqui24.

Meghan didn't close down her social media soon enough - someone's got it all saved and is putting it back out there.

I'll be trying some of her ideas out next long flight I get to take. :lol:

Im sooooooo excited about this tour. Only wish I could go and see them on Thursday when they are in Melbourne. Oh well, maybe next tour (if there is one of course).

To recap what happened this morning.
6am Sydney time. A British Airways flight landed and all our media reported that H&M were on board. (They were not)
Our morning TV hosts were left talking nonsense filling up an hour before the Arrival of QANTAS A380 airbus at 7am.
The media only found out about the Qantas flight about 6.55am and some were not pleased.
Anyway it was all meant to be a low key arrival as they appeared next to a delivery loading dock at the airport. Jumped into the cars and were taken to Admiralty House.
It rained on and off from 6am that I saw.
To add to the trivia. QANTAS stands for Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Service. This means it was a plane service that started in western Queensland, servicing outback towns and up to Darwin the Capital of The Northern Territory.
There is no U in Qantas.

BTW the long haul flight from London can be anything from 18 hours to 24 hours depending on stopovers.
They looked really fresh to me the few seconds we got to see 0of them. Meghan had a huge smile as she walked to the car.

To recap what happened this morning.
6am Sydney time. A British Airways flight landed and all our media reported that H&M were on board. (They were not)
Our morning TV hosts were left talking nonsense filling up an hour before the Arrival of QANTAS A380 airbus at 7am.
The media only found out about the Qantas flight about 6.55am and some were not pleased.
Anyway it was all meant to be a low key arrival as they appeared next to a delivery loading dock at the airport. Jumped into the cars and were taken to Admiralty House.
It rained on and off from 6am that I saw.
To add to the trivia. QANTAS stands for Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Service. This means it was a plane service that started in western Queensland, servicing outback towns and up to Darwin the Capital of The Northern Territory.
There is no U in Qantas.

And did you see all the workers in the catering warehouse next to Harry and Meghan's exit come out with their phones to get a look - only to be shooed away by the security, Tarlita.

How disappointing for them. Hopefully they get some fun working there - Mary and Frederik, Nicole and Keith, etc, etc - this is where all the celebs exit.

Not quite walking past the rubbish bins, but not the best exit at the airport.

And warm sun and heavy showers sweeping across this part of Sydney all day, plus the wind's up now, so getting rough.

Lots and lots of boats on the Harbour though if Harry and Meghan are having a coffee looking out of the windows.

All the ferries on the go, the paddle Showboat and other tourist craft, the Hop-on and Hop-off vessels.

Maybe some of the jet-boats will go screaming past them with their antics.

And now the large navy ship "Adelaide" has sailed past Admiralty House - if Harry and Meghan aren't having a nap.

(I say sailed, but three tugs helping her on the side facing me.)

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...3zcwYzrzQ5i_LaXklrKTt4sRVKcLh5oe1f0EnR2lwaiMC

And, it was mentioned a couple of times this morning that the couple were on the Singapore stopover version of the trip, not the Dubai.

Last edited:
BTW to all our friends in the UK, Canada, USA etc, if you have a question don't hesitate to ask. All our cultures might be similar but have differences and sometimes the Australian way can be a bit confusIng to some. I am sure Curryong, Bertie, Sun Lion or any of the other Aussies on these boards will be happy to help if they can.
My apologies if I assume too much on your behalf. Being a Queenslander means we like to help if possible. In this case I might not be of much help as my state of Queensland is one hour behind Sydney due to daylight saving. So the New South Wales - Sydney crowd may be of more help to you.
Cheers

I agree Sun Lion that the exit ramp they used was not fit for a visiting VIP let alone royals. They really need to smarten the place up.

BTW to all our friends in the UK, Canada, USA etc, if you have a question don't hesitate to ask. All our cultures might be similar but have differences and sometimes the Australian way can be a bit confusIng to some. I am sure Curryong, Bertie, Sun Lion or any of the other Aussies on these boards will be happy to help if they can.
My apologies if I assume too much on your behalf. Being a Queenslander means we like to help if possible. In this case I might not be of much help as my state of Queensland is one hour behind Sydney due to daylight saving. So the New South Wales - Sydney crowd may be of more help to you.
Cheers

Very sweet :flowers:

Cheers

We'll all be looking to you Tarlita when they're on Fraser Island.:lol:

And seems they will be staying overnight.

Channel 7 this morning said all the media travelling with Harry and Meghan will be "kicked off" to give them a bit of alone time.

Kingfisher Resort seems to be the place they will hunker down.

I wasn't talking about other countries - only Australia. I didn't make that clear obviously.

Some of the Royal podcasts have already spoken on why they used commercial to get to Australia.

Charles and Camilla were just in Australia a few months back and had a fairly large tour so both the royals and the government wanted to try to keep the Australian leg of the tour much leaner especially as there is a resurgence in a republican sentiment recently.

Harry and Meghan are absolutely senior enough for charter and military flights but this time it was a very deliberate choice.

Aha. I will try and do my best. I still think the Qld govt will take some koalas from Lone Pine sanctuary to Fraser Island so that H&M can be photographed having a cute cuddle. Especially as NSW no longer allows that. You know how fiercely competitive the two States are.

Aha. I will try and do my best. I still think the Qld govt will take some koalas from Lone Pine sanctuary to Fraser Island so that H&M can be photographed having a cute cuddle. Especially as NSW no longer allows that. You know how fiercely competitive the two States are.

You're right Tarlita - Harry and Meghan better have a better time in NSW than in Qld.:lol:

But at least we know they will have a better time in both our places than in Victoria!

And let's not even think of them going to NZ.

Some photos of them in wet Kirribilli this morning - excited and happy smiles on the locals' faces.

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/77a448f70a49ce7a08c229dafc08ff4d?width=650

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/ca2da70c710b0095247dc4f20bb53fb0?width=650

You're right Tarlita - Harry and Meghan better have a better time in NSW than in Qld.:lol:

But at least we know they will have a better time in both our places than in Victoria!

And let's not even think of them going to NZ.

Some photos of them in wet Kirribilli this morning - excited and happy smiles on the locals' faces.

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/77a448f70a49ce7a08c229dafc08ff4d?width=650

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/ca2da70c710b0095247dc4f20bb53fb0?width=650

Sun Lion,

I hope you are not bagging Mexicans (Victorians) too much. Vic is still in my opinion, the best state in Aus to live in haha.

Sun Lion,

I hope you are not bagging Mexicans (Victorians) too much. Vic is still in my opinion, the best state in Aus to live in haha.

Oops!

Sorry Axeyman.

I'm actually half Victorian myself, (and half Tassie - boy do we get bagged!)

Regards to the fine state of Victoria.

I'm really looking forward to the tram ride to the beach when the couple are in Melbourne.

Fingers crossed for a fine day. Cheers. :flowers:

Yes, Harry and Meghan arrived on pickup day here in this suburb.

Not the weekly rubbish collection all neat and tidy in wheelie-bins, but the once a month day people put out their old mattresses and un-wanted junk.

(I think it's only monthly - we don't all have so many things, to throw away that much every fortnight. Hardly any houses here, mostly flat-dwellers.)

Glad Royals aren't too precious these days.

(How many times were those sheets ironed once they were actually on the bed?) :lol:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ld-junk-greet-Harry-Meghan-arrive-Sydney.html

Some of the Royal podcasts have already spoken on why they used commercial to get to Australia.

Charles and Camilla were just in Australia a few months back and had a fairly large tour so both the royals and the government wanted to try to keep the Australian leg of the tour much leaner especially as there is a resurgence in a republican sentiment recently.

Harry and Meghan are absolutely senior enough for charter and military flights but this time it was a very deliberate choice.

Camilla was here for 4 days - hardly that long.

Charles was here for 8 days.

Edward was here for over two weeks, though from the coverage you wouldn't know it anymore than we knew Andrew was here for that long last year when he was sixth in line to the throne - the same position Harry is now. Andrew was then and Harry is now a minor royal (and the fact that he may one day be the son and then brother of the monarch doesn't change that fact - after all Andrew IS the son of the monarch at the moment and has been a minor royal since William was born in 1982).

Yes, Harry and Meghan arrived on pickup day here in this suburb.

Not the weekly rubbish collection all neat and tidy in wheelie-bins, but the once a month day people put out their old mattresses and un-wanted junk.

(I think it's only monthly - we don't all have so many things, to throw away that much every fortnight. Hardly any houses here, mostly flat-dwellers.)

Glad Royals aren't too precious these days.

(How many times were those sheets ironed once they were actually on the bed?) :lol:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ld-junk-greet-Harry-Meghan-arrive-Sydney.html

Wow Sydney council organised that well! (Not). A lot of Aussies will be very cranky about one of our favourite cities looking so grotty to the rest of the world. Embarrassing. With the worlds media covering this visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom