Harry & Meghan: Tour of Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand - October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I forget the reporter but back when this was first announced someone said they’d be at Invictus for the opening ceremony and some day 1 events and then be moving on.

We’ll have to wait on the itinerary I guess.

I think it was Omid and Emily. They said it wasn't confirmed but from what they had heard they would attend the opening ceremony and a few events but then go elsewhere a few days and then return for the closing ceremony before continuing the tour.

They were under the impression it would likely be around 2 weeks. So who knows how it will ultimately breakdown.

As an Aussie I am looking forward immensely to seeing them both on this tour. However, my hope is that the IG isn't confined to the Opening Ceremony, the Closing and only a few events in between. The IG was Harry's idea, it's been his baby from the beginning and he's been there, building relationships with many of the competitors, encouraging and cheerleading. What will be will be I guess, and I'm sure it will get back to normal with the Netherlands IG.

I reckon it's a bit of a different situation as they'd be heading to LAX anyway to get back home. Although, I guess it is still a personal matter as the tour concludes officially only when they are back in London again - so, good point!

Going to the UK via LAX is to go the long way round. The short route is via Asia not the US.

Will Harry and Meghan stay here while in Sydney as claimed?

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...y/news-story/7dbaeacdb66a8747ca4e52f6f85c0128

I don't know, but I wouldn't be suprised if they ended up at "Admiralty House", (opposite the Opera House), as the Federal Police already sit there all day in the station at the main gate.

In any case it won't be "Government House" - as in the days of Diana and Charles.

That was given back to the people years ago, and is only closed to the public for the occasional ceremony.

Last edited:

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...y/news-story/7dbaeacdb66a8747ca4e52f6f85c0128

I don't know, but I wouldn't be suprised if they ended up at "Admiralty House", (opposite the Opera House), as the Federal Police already sit there all day in the station at the main gate.

In any case it won't be "Government House" - as in the days of Diana and Charles.

That was given back to the people years ago, and is only closed to the public for the occasional ceremony.

Where did Catherine and William stay?

Where did Catherine and William stay?

Admiralty House cepe.

Plus way, way back, Andrew and Sarah stayed there.

The Queen has also stayed there - I live a few streets away and saw they had a fire engine - with two men sitting in it - in the side driveway for the duration of her stay.

On another occassion - can't remember who it was - the fire engine parked across from the main gate in the parking area of the building opposite.

The Prime Minister's official Sydney residence, Kirribilli House, - is in the same grounds as Admiralty House, which is the Governor-General of Australia's official Sydney residence.

The building opposite is something to do with the Reserve Bank of Australia, and a few houses down a side street is a building that used to be Asio Sydney headquarters, but is now three privately owned homes.

This little corner used to be a bit of a hot spot - before modern communications I guess, when people had to speak face to face.

Mary and Frederik also stayed here with their twins.

The station - which is a cute cottage on the street - is always manned. I think this is where they will stay - private, secure, on the Harbour, pool, city and Opera House views.

And no traffic problems as would be travelling from the Eastern suburbs.

In fact, maybe just take a boat ride across to the functions earmarked as happening in the Opera House.

(There are a few photos of the front of it I took, in one of the Mary/Frederik threads when they visited.)

Last edited:

Sounds like an ad to get publicity for that building using Harry and Meghan's name for clicks

Similar to stories like palace sources saying which facial oil Kate recommended to Meghan just an add in article form using the names of the royals they know will get clicks.

Last edited:
Admiralty House cepe.

Plus way, way back, Andrew and Sarah stayed there.

The Queen has also stayed there - I live a few streets away and saw they had a fire engine - with two men sitting in it - in the side driveway for the duration of her stay.

On another occassion - can't remember who it was - the fire engine parked across from the main gate in the parking area of the building opposite.

The Prime Minister's official Sydney residence, Kirribilli House, - is in the same grounds as Admiralty House, which is the Governor-General of Australia's official Sydney residence.

The building opposite is something to do with the Reserve Bank of Australia, and a few houses down a side street is a building that used to be Asio Sydney headquarters, but is now three privately owned homes.

This little corner used to be a bit of a hot spot - before modern communications I guess, when people had to speak face to face.

Mary and Frederik also stayed here with their twins.

The station - which is a cute cottage on the street - is always manned. I think this is where they will stay - private, secure, on the Harbour, pool, city and Opera House views.

And no traffic problems as would be travelling from the Eastern suburbs.

In fact, maybe just take a boat ride across to the functions earmarked as happening in the Opera House.

(There are a few photos of the front of it I took, in one of the Mary/Frederik threads when they visited.)

Thank you Sun Lion for the detailed information about the Sussexes possible residence while in Australia. IMO this seems like a likely choice for accommodating the couple as it was used by other royals in recent years: Danish CP couple and Cambridges.

Let’s avoid pregnancy speculation. Posts on the subject have been deleted.

Sorry I don't remember how to quote multiple posters in the one post - but...

Yes, Fros, I agree. What amazes me is how these things go like wildfire around the internet. So many mainstream magazine and news sites have picked this up and are repeating it as if it's all confirmed. (Same with "Westfield Large", "Adelaide Cottage", the Irish Castle honeymoon etc., and so on, and so on. One in, all in - until the next thing comes by.)

Yes, Carina_a - that is "Admiralty House". Little George's first Easter Egg hunt was in the garden there and caught on pap/general public photos. Andrew and Sarah were caught and photographed sunbathing in the garden too. The ferry from my street passes close by the garden twice every half hour - not to mention every other private and public craft on the Harbour all the time, as it's so in the centre of Sydney. Much quieter on the street side - only locals, as all the streets end-up deadend, as it's a penninsula with no through traffic.

And yes TLLK, it's were the Royals are "put". Once got held up on a Saturday morning trying to turn into my street. All the lights were put on stop, with police motor-cycles in positon, waiting, waiting, waiting, for Charles and Camilla to wizz through. Interesting - but a hot morning, no air-conditioning in my old car, and all I wanted to do was get my meat and frozen goods home and into the fridge!

Last edited:
Looks like you were right Iluvbertie, (in the Invictus Games thread).

After meeting Australia's Prime Minister and his wife at Australia House in London earlier this year, in the lead up to visiting here, Harry and Meghan will be fronting up to new faces when they arrive.

Leadership spill on again at the minute - and whoever will be in, the current one will be out.

(Hope they still get to Bondi - big drawcard for young British and Irish backpackers.)

I guess they'll just take it in stride though - Mary and Frederik met a different Oz Prime Minister to Kate and William, now a different one again for Harry and Meghan.

Hmmmmm....it is quite likely we may have had, or will be having an election when they are schedule to have their tour in Australia.

For those who aren't up to date: Australia's Government is going through, yet again, another crisis regarding the Prime Ministership. As of Tuesday, there has been one attempt at deposing the current PM (which failed) and there is likely to be another "spill" tomorrow. Our current PM has indicated that if another "spill" is called, he will step down and quit Parliament, prompting a by-election for 4-6 weeks time. At the same time, his main competitor, Peter Dutton, has been referred to our Solicitor-General for suitability to sit in Parliament (section 44 of our Constitution). If Peter Dutton is deemed to be unsuitable, we would have two by-elections. Peter Dutton is also forecasted to lose his seat, therefore we would have a hung parliament. That would then trigger an election. If Dutton is voted in as Leader of the Liberal/National Coalition, then it would be almost certain that we would be going into an election.

So all in all, not a great time for Harry and Meghan to be touring Australia

Yes there is a great deal of political instability here at the moment and who knows, there may be a general election later this year. However, the May Royal wedding drew large TV audiences here on most of the free to air networks. I think Harry is a popular in Australia and there will be an interest in seeing him and Meghan anyway, regardless of the political situation. It will be a diversion from the recent chaos and the infighting of Liberal Party discourse and I believe people will gather to see this couple wherever they go!

Harry and Meghan seem to have unfortunate timing with tours.

They did their Ireland tour just when a slew of top British MPs including the foreign secretary were resigning in the UK which forced some of the major new networks off the tour to cover the news in the UK.

They did their Ireland tour just when a slew of top British MPs including the foreign secretary were resigning in the UK which forced some of the major new networks off the tour to cover the news in the UK.

Lol! Hmmmm....I hope Fiji, Tonga and NZ are safe ?

This trip would be great for them. They do need some change of air

Not only a change of pace and Meghan's first overseas official tour but I just can't imagine there being an Invictus Games without Harry being there front and center for it. Its too much a part of who he is to *not* be there. :D

This isn't Meghan's first overseas official tour though. She has already done that - to the Republic of Ireland.

This isn't Meghan's first overseas official tour though. She has already done that - to the Republic of Ireland.

OK. You got me on a technicality there. :D You're absolutely right.

I suppose it depends on how you look at it. By all accounts in Ireland, the tour was a great success and it was Meghan mania in Ireland. If you are in the UK press, it didn't get as much attention as it would've had Boris and the PM and everybody else in government kept it together. As long as the UK isn't having political turmoil at that time, the papers in UK will cover it extensively. And quite frankly, I think the people in Australia will still turn out. Royalty seems to be one stress relief stable during times of political turmoil.

When Meghan snd Harry tour Australia, they will be meeting our new PM Scott Morrison....

When Meghan snd Harry tour Australia, they will be meeting our new PM Scott Morrison....

It seems the new PM is quite right wing and conservative so Meghan needs to steer away from politics in conversation given the recent faux pas in Dublin in her chit chat.

If he is still the PM at the time yes they will meet him, along with the GG.

The only way they won't meet the PM of the day is if we are in election mode as that would be seen as being political and showing support for one side.

The issue around that though is that there could very well be a by-election happening for the seat of the now deposed PM as he has said he is resigning of parliament meaning his electors will have to vote for a new member this year and then again by the middle of next year. If that is the case, given that his electorate is in the eastern suburbs of Sydney could mean no visits to areas in or near that electorate or meetings with the PM (unless the Leader of the Opposition is also present ... which is possible).

Just out of curiosity, what is Morrison’s position in the republic vs monarchy debate in Australia ?

Wouldn’t know ..we don’t debate the republic too much else to be concerned about.

Just out of curiosity, what is Morrison’s position in the republic vs monarchy debate in Australia ?

That's a very good question.
No idea. However, our previous Prime Minister as of lunchtime today, Malcolm Turnbull, was some years ago President of the Republican movement. He tried very hard to argue the case why we should become a republic. It even went to a vote and was defeated.
I believe because they never put forward what sort of Republican model we should adopt.
I think most people believe that the Queen is a cheaper option than having a President and she has our respect.

Having said that i think the public here will feel very differently when Prince Charles becomes king. But I could be wrong.

They put forward a model - whereby the President was chosen by a two-thirds majority of the MPs. We rejected that model.

I don't think most people think much about the money side of it but rather the fact that our Head of State is a little old lady who doesn't live here and never has. She would be ineligible to have a seat in our parliament but is our Head of State (can't be a citizen of another country to be an MP in Australia).

Charles isn't as popular - which is why Britain keeps sending William and Harry - although there were solid crowds to see Charles in April but that is the norm. We are still about 50/50 either way but if the straight out question was asked 'do you want Australia to become a republic?' I suspect there would be more like a 60/40 vote in favour - and then the government would have to find a model that we could support and that is the sticking point - the republican movement itself can't agree on the model and the model that seems to have the most support - directly elected - is the least supported by the politicians.

It seems the new PM is quite right wing and conservative so Meghan needs to steer away from politics in conversation given the recent faux pas in Dublin in her chit chat.

This has been clarified several times by the person in question. There was NO faux pas in any capacity. Just spineless, unethical tabloid reporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom