Harry & Meghan: Tour of Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand - October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soapstar

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
Hermosa Beach
Country
United States
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will undertake an official visit to
Australia, Fiji, the Kingdom of Tonga, and New Zealand
between October 16th and 31st, 2018.​

Tour Schedule:
Tuesday October 16th: Sydney, Australia
Wednesday October 17th: Dubbo, Australia
Thursday October 18th: Melbourne, Australia
Friday October 19th: Sydney, Australia
Saturday October 20th: Sydney, Australia
Sunday October 21st: Sydney, Australia
Monday October 22nd: Fraser Island, Australia
Tuesday October 23rd: Suva, Fiji
Wednesday October 24th: Suva, Fiji
Thursday October 25th: Nadi, Fiji and Nuku’alofa, Tonga
Friday October 26th: Nuku’alofa, Tonga and Sydney, Australia
Saturday October 27th: Sydney, Australia
Sunday October 28th: Wellington, New Zealand
Monday October 29th: Wellington and Abel Tasman, New Zealand
Tuesday October 30th: Auckland, New Zealand
Wednesday October 31st: Rotorua, New Zealand"

***​

Last edited by a moderator:
Visit to Australia, Fiji, Tonga, and New Zealand

First overseas visit announced for TRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex :

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will undertake an official visit to Australia, Fiji, the Kingdom of Tonga, and New Zealand in the Autumn .
The tour will fall on the occasion of @InvictusSydney 2018.

Wow, fantastic news. What a great trip. I'm looking forward to it!

With the visit to Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, and Tonga, there will be plenty of opportunities to see them extensively at that time in their public roles. But I'm sure that Prince Harry's #1 priority is protection, safety, guarding their privacy.

I think it was mentioned at the time of the wedding, a few foreign trips planned for them in coming months. Including Australia/NZ/Tonga (not sure if Fiji was mentioned, maybe I just forgot it). Australia was a given, considering the Invictus Games. Great to have the confirmation for them.

Big tour for a first tour. I cant wait to see, will be exciting. I love seeing Harry on tour. Now that he will have a wife with him, we will likely get more coverage then we usually do. Makes sense to include a few more stops on it, when they are going to Australia for IG anyways.

I am so excited to see this.

The Invictus games are from 20th - 27th october 2018.
So seeing them around Sydney at that time.....

I am SOO happy we finally got official word! Very big and important tour. Harry's last tour to NZ was one of my absolute favorite royal tours of all time. His schedule took such care to really highlight local culture. I actually used it to plan my own trip to NZ!

I hope we see something similar with this tour. I loved, for example, that Harry hung out with the locals at a cafe at one of the stops. I sometimes worry now that he is married and more "official" that he will not have those lovely, real connecting, touches. Time will tell! But I am excited nonetheless.

I am SOO happy we finally got official word! Very big and important tour. Harry's last tour to NZ was one of my absolute favorite royal tours of all time. His schedule took such care to really highlight local culture. I actually used it to plan my own trip to NZ!

I hope we see something similar with this tour. I loved, for example, that Harry hung out with the locals at a cafe at one of the stops. I sometimes worry now that he is married and more "official" that he will not have those lovely, real connecting, touches. Time will tell! But I am excited nonetheless.

They're going "down under" for the IG and staying a spell and enjoying the neighborhoods. :D

I love it. I do think, if anything, being married and touring around with the love of his life, it'll be a happier, more exuberant Harry we'll see. Both Harry and Meghan adapt well to the people around them, get involved right into the thick of things and make the most of it. I can't for the life of me ever see Harry turning into a staid, proper and official type royal ever. He has too much zest for life and people to do that.

If anything I think he will be even more relaxed and laid back with Meghan there because this is right in her wheelhouse too. She is quite comfortable with crowds and 'normal' folks. They will do the visiting together, the local cafe's etc.

LaRae

If anything I think he will be even more relaxed and laid back with Meghan there because this is right in her wheelhouse too. She is quite comfortable with crowds and 'normal' folks. They will do the visiting together, the local cafe's etc.

LaRae

Honesty, the on-hands, engaging, relaxed way they relate to other people seems to be a thing they have very much in common and I almost feel they will actually be way more relaxed in a less stuffy & protocol-heavy environment where people are overeager to nitpick every 'non-royal' gesture. Getting away a little bit from the culture the UK has enacted around them might actually put them at ease and lessen some of the pressure that the DoS is bound to feel on home soil right now.

They're going "down under" for the IG and staying a spell and enjoying the neighborhoods. :D

I love it. I do think, if anything, being married and touring around with the love of his life, it'll be a happier, more exuberant Harry we'll see. Both Harry and Meghan adapt well to the people around them, get involved right into the thick of things and make the most of it. I can't for the life of me ever see Harry turning into a staid, proper and official type royal ever. He has too much zest for life and people to do that.

I think that's what we've been seeing already. :flowers: In the all the pre-wedding engagements Harry was positively bursting. More of the same, I think, with Meghan right in there. They will do well with the relaxed Aussie atmosphere methinks.

wow - unusual that they will be visiting all those places as william and kate visited recently in a similar kind of tour themselves.

I’m looking forward to the Sussex’s first official tour this fall.

wow - unusual that they will be visiting all those places as william and kate visited recently in a similar kind of tour themselves.

Huh? I'm not following how they are visiting the same places Cambridges recently visit.

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainmen...n-trackside-for-big-race-20180522-p4zgre.html

One of the rumoured stops at the visit in Australia is at a horse racing event.

To be fair most royals end up visitig Canada, Australia and New Zealand within the first few years after getting married. If anything they are following Charles and Camilla more than Will and Kate, Charles and Camilla just visited Ireland a week and a half ago and Australia earlier this year.

This is why I am super excited for the Fiji and Tonga part of the tour because the royals don't go there very often and it will be an actual new setting to see Harry and Meghan in, that hasn't been done a bunch of times by other royals.

I'm a little surprised at this. I thought they'd at least stay in Australia throughout the time of IG. They wouldn't be going to games as much as Harry went last year, but I thought they'd wrap everything up during closing ceremony in Australia and then move on to the other countries. So I guess they'll go probably earlier than the 20th (18th or 19th, I'd imagine) and then stay until the 24th. Go to Tonga on 25th and 26th. Come back for the closing ceremony, and then move on to NZ and Fiji? I suppose they could stay longer in Australia after the closing ceremony.

Yeah I don't know...maybe they are going to do some of the other islands prior to Invictus ..then pop over to Invictus then Tonga then back to Invictus...hmmm

LaRae

I forget the reporter but back when this was first announced someone said they’d be at Invictus for the opening ceremony and some day 1 events and then be moving on.

We’ll have to wait on the itinerary I guess.

Yeah I don't know...maybe they are going to do some of the other islands prior to Invictus ..then pop over to Invictus then Tonga then back to Invictus...hmmm

LaRae

Eugenie's wedding is on the 12th. Doubt they are leaving sooner than the week of. Perhaps they'll start earlier than Harry did for Canada and have the tour ahead of the game. However, I can't imagine them missing the closing ceremony. His speech at last year's was one of my favorite.

My personal theory/wish:

• Australia: 16-19 - I reckon they are heading east to Perth
  • Invictus Games: 19-24
  • Tonga: 25-26
  • Invictus Games: 27 - they are definitely not missing the closing ceremony & I reckon they might have wanted to separate the visit to Tonga from the visit to Fiji
  • New Zealand: 28-02
  • Fiji: 03-04
  • 11/05 day off;)
  • 11/06 flight back home - again, heading east - with a stop in LA to see Doria

Last edited:
No that's right..I'm sure they will be at her wedding. Course they could leave the next day too and head over. I hope they release their schedule soon..but I'd guess not for awhile yet.

LaRae

My personal theory/wish:

• Australia: 16-19
  • Invictus Games: 19-24
  • Tonga: 25-26
  • Invictus Games: 27
  • New Zealand: 28-02
  • Fiji: 03-04
  • 11/05 day off;) - 11/06 flight back home - with a stop in LA to see Doria
They can't have a personal stop on the way back. It was a huge drama when Harry decided to buy a ticket and go see Meghan in Toronto after his Caribbean trip. There is a rule that was implemented about not mixing personal and official trips after Andrew was caught doing so.

And I think they might stay in Australia up until the 24th, but having more days devoted to Australia than IG. Unfortunately, IG won't get nearly as much attention this year as they did last year because of it. Even though it's a sporting event for wounded veterans, it is mostly covered by royal correspondents and they will go wherever Meghan and Harry are.

Really looking forward to this trip in the Autumn.

They can't have a personal stop on the way back. It was a huge drama when Harry decided to buy a ticket and go see Meghan in Toronto after his Caribbean trip. There is a rule that was implemented about not mixing personal and official trips after Andrew was caught doing so.

And I think they might stay in Australia up until the 24th, but having more days devoted to Australia than IG. Unfortunately, IG won't get nearly as much attention this year as they did last year because of it. Even though it's a sporting event for wounded veterans, it is mostly covered by royal correspondents and they will go wherever Meghan and Harry are.

I reckon it's a bit of a different situation as they'd be heading to LAX anyway to get back home. Although, I guess it is still a personal matter as the tour concludes officially only when they are back in London again - so, good point!

I am going to be a pessimist and say they will try to bookend the entire tour with the Invictus opening and closing ceremony. The entire tour will take place within the Invictus week and they will spend 24 hours over the course of 2 days in most countries like they did in Ireland.

20-AUS
21-AUS/NZ
23-NZ
24-FIJI
25-FIJI/TONGA
26-TONGA
27-AUS

They seem to prefer this style of economic tours rather than extravagant long tours.

I am going to be a pessimist and say they will try to bookend the entire tour with the Invictus opening and closing ceremony. The entire tour will take place within the Invictus week and they will spend 24 hours over the course of 2 days in most countries like they did in Ireland.

20-AUS
21-AUS/NZ
23-NZ
24-FIJI
25-FIJI/TONGA
26-TONGA
27-AUS

They seem to prefer this style of economic tours rather than extravagant long tours.
There is no way this tour would be done that quickly. The Ireland trip is entirely different, and more like the European tours the royals do rather than a full on tour. I really don't think they've had enough tours to say what they "prefer". Even with IG Canada, Harry stayed longer. He was there before the opening ceremony to meet with PM Trudeau, Melania Trump, Governor General, etc. before IG. There is no reason to expect the length of this trip to be much different than any other royal couple's initial trip abroad after marriage.

And really, when they are on tour, it's not really about what their personal preferences are, they are there to do a job thoroughly.

Last edited:

Huh? I'm not following how they are visiting the same places Cambridges recently visit.

Different countries this tour than the Diamond Jubilee Tour undertaken by William & Kate in 2012. They went to Singapore, Malaysia, the Solomon Islands and Tuvalu.

Sounds like it will be a wonderful trip for Harry and Meghan - quite a few exciting things to look forward to this autumn in the royal world!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom