Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The skills she uses when acting will be used to far greater effect, on a FAR wider stage when/if Ms Markle is a functioning member of the BRF. It is inconceivable that she will have time to work 'as an actress' in any capacity other than as part of the 'firm'.

She could not be on TV in a 'soap', nor on stage in a play. That part of her past ends the day she marries. What she can do, is channel her 'acting' into making every encounter she has with an 'ordinary' person, memorable and precious as a memory. Isn't that [in part] what actors do ?

:previous: While I agree she wont be acting in the commercial sense any more, I wouldn't say 'acting among people' is her only use for her skills.

I really hope they put Meghan's talent to use. There are numerous royals who have done books and such, including Charles. It would be great to see Meghan perhaps work on documentaries and such projects that involve charities. It would be great to see her involved with Charles and his environmental projects. I do hope she branches out from the 'mental health' that the three are so focussed on. With a slimmed down monarchy meant to be focussing on, those who will be left, need to branch out.

She could also take on many art patronages that will be opening up in the next few years. Being involved in the theater as a patron. Again we can look at royals like Margrethe and know there is a way to pursue passion within the royal frame work.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that Meghan has now quite Suits makes me think that an engagement is a very real possibility. Dare I say that we could expect an announcement next month or in January? It would be sweet if they got engaged around the Christmas season!

What experience does Meghan have making documentaries? Royals use professional production. KP utilises the talents of BAFTA ( William’s President)

[...] her royal life will involve visiting primary schools, making small talk and unveiling plaques.

Monarchy is hierarchical. Meghan and Harry aren’t centre stage but a supporting act.

Meghan is really comfortable in front of the camera due to years of working in front of them both as an actress, and giving interviews. Her talents would be really useful for the RF. Saying that doesn't mean I think Meghan and Harry will be centre stage, it's just logical to use her years long experience to benefit good causes.

This is the thing that drives me nuts about some of the commentary here.

How does a woman who has worked steadily at her current job for the past 7 years, worked within that career for years before landing the job, has run her own website that was making millions, has had a fashion line with a respectable clothing chain in her adopted country, and has a solid history with notable charitable organizations need to prove her work ethic?

There are others within the BRF whose work ethics have rightly been questioned, including Harry’s, because they have long periods of appearing to be doing very little (not necessarily doing little, but appearing to be doing little). But to question Meghan’s is absolutely ridiculous. She has made a career for herself. We shouldn’t be questioning her work ethic.
She ran a lifestyle page, not founded Reddit or Facebook. She wasn't making millions and isn't making millions now.

But furthermore, I agree with you. She has consistently worked hard for her own paycheck, like we all do. Most of her future in-laws and future husband won't be able to vouch for the same, let's be honest here.
And I hate it when people will count up engagements to prove that someone works hard. It's not even remotely the same than working, for example, in retail for a **** paycheck and still having to watch the coins to get through the month.

In what way would the royal family utilise Meghan’s ‘talents’ in front of the camera?

Move aside BBC and ITV we now have Meghan Markle in the fold.

A lot of new royal watchers are in for a disappointing experience with setting the bar so high for Meghan.

Well for one, Rudolph, I remember all too well when Kate gave her first speech and the comments on how nervous she seemed. Meghan won't have that problem. She's already quite adept at public speaking. :D

This is not about Meghan vs Kate. Let's move on please.

She will find her niche within the folds of the "Firm" and do what she's needed to do. She will put her talents to good use just by being who she is. We can't ask for anymore than that.

Nobody is insinuating that should Meghan join the BRF that all and sundry would bow down, chant moo and eat purple grass in her honor. She just happens to have skills that will enhance the work the BRF does. :D

In what way would the royal family utilise Meghan’s ‘talents’ in front of the camera?

Move aside BBC and ITV we now have Meghan Markle in the fold.

A lot of new royal watchers are in for a disappointing experience with setting the bar so high for Meghan.

I agree. I think folks are setting themselves up for a fall if they think Meghan is going to join the BRF and then not work within the system as it currently is.

Past behavior is the best indicator for future. She's been conforming to the expected behavior/routine of a BRF member for months now.

She has said before that her charity work is very important, that she works so she can actually do the charity work. Her charities are going to be her focus and where she can make the greatest impact.

Sorry folks, just don't think you going to see her on an episode of Call the Midwife et al.

LaRae

:previous: While I agree she wont be acting in the commercial sense any more, I wouldn't say 'acting among people' is her only use for her skills.

I really hope they put Meghan's talent to use. There are numerous royals who have done books and such, including Charles. It would be great to see Meghan perhaps work on documentaries and such projects that involve charities. It would be great to see her involved with Charles and his environmental projects. I do hope she branches out from the 'mental health' that the three are so focussed on. With a slimmed down monarchy meant to be focussing on, those who will be left, need to branch out.

She could also take on many art patronages that will be opening up in the next few years. Being involved in the theater as a patron. Again we can look at royals like Margrethe and know there is a way to pursue passion within the royal frame work.

I think much of this seems practical. Meghan could certainly do readings or narration, either for documentaries or charitable purposes. She could take on performing arts patronages. I do not see it being at all feasible for her to continue acting on stage or screen as a character.

Princess Grace did some of this--quote from Wikipedia.
"Later that year[1977], she returned to the arts in a series of poetry readings on stage and narration of the documentary The Children of Theater Street. She also narrated ABC's made-for-television film The Poppy Is Also a Flower (1966)."

A simple observation referencing Harry supporting Meghan in her career (in some unknown fashion) after marriage, with a mention of how Meghan's artist background could be used (as was Princess Grace's btw, though not to the extent she wanted) has gotten some posters to run with the idea in a pretty much over-the-top manner. Posters have started suggesting scenarios that were never floated yet said posters are hectoring (non-existent) posters for posting, or believing in, the (non-existent) scenarios. Beggars belief, the extent to which some are eager to engage in negative displays. :sad: Honestly, what's the point?

Unless one is up for countering every ott suggestion, the pretense of an argument must stand, with the strange 'digs' at 'Meghan fans', and the assumption of a superior stance.

However, the above to the side I am more concerned with the strictures some seem eager to impose on Meghan. It seems to skate a very thin line between 'expectations' of someone who is still free and 'impositions' on someone who will not be free. It keeps coming up. My ears are still ringing from an early-on comment that Meghan will 'have to learn to keep her mouth shut'. :sad: Really?

As an astrologer has stated: “Saturn returns to Capricorn on 19 December 2017 and Meghan’s relationship duties and responsibilities will become stricter from then until 2020." I am not a Harry fan btw (cards on the table) but I am intrigued that he is a rebel. It is my hope that it will be his determination to do things his way (which would include Meghan's way) that will protect Meghan from the worst of what Meghan will have to face if she agrees to enter into marriage with him.

Last edited:
The BRF have [repeatedly] 'had their hands burned' in their forays into television, so they are rightly wary of it..
'The Royal Family' documentary [1969], Royal 'Its a Knockout' [1987], and most traumatically, the 1995 Martin Bashir interview with the late Diana,Princess of Wales are examples that the BRF has not forgotten and will not care to repeat.

Reasonably regular, CONTROLLED documentaries about Palaces/Art/Banquets or State Visits are a different matter, and are regularly made, but ANYTHING with the potential to become overly personal or accident ridden is studiously avoided.

I cannot see that changing in this reign, in the next or the one after that...

Last edited:
I’m saying jiminy cricket! I’ve never watched suits or seen this gal act. Whatever her talent, I bet she’s thinking about the best way to incorporate herself with charities that she can do the most for and there’s plenty in the arts to choose from. I’m rooting for her in whatever she decides to focus on.

IMO people need to take a step back and reexamine the Harry and Meghan dynamic, starting with who these two really are. Neither Harry nor Meghan can be defined by their hopes and dreams of ten years ago because life goes on, circumstances change and theirs like most others has seen both hope and disappointment.

Much is said about Meghan's passion for acting but as we grow older dreams can and do change. We come to forks in the road and we choose, do we go left or right. Megan has chosen to leave acting because she cannot pursue that career and be married to Harry. But life has already opened other doors she is passionate about and that is an area she can pursue to a greater degree than she could ever have possibly imagined.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I know I'm pretty realistic about what Meghan's role in the family will be. The thing is the media doesn't really care about hierarchy, etc. They write about what they think is interesting and what they think sells. And if anyone thinks they won't be writing about her, they will be in for a big surprise. She may very well only be opening elementary schools and cutting ribbons, but I bet you she gets covered doing it.

What experience does Meghan have making documentaries? Royals use professional production. KP utilises the talents of BAFTA ( William’s President)

[...] her royal life will involve visiting primary schools, making small talk and unveiling plaques.

Monarchy is hierarchical. Meghan and Harry aren’t centre stage but a supporting act.

When it comes to royal duties, its a hierarchy yes. But when it comes to the actual work, patronages and such, its team work. You think Harry and Meghan have to sit in the shadows like trolls so that William and Kate can shine? No. Anne, Edward, heck even Andrew do their fair share of royal duties, Anne works harder then anyone but Charles and the queen. And they are so far down the bloody hierarchy its not funny now.

No one, certainly not I, suggested she was going to become Spielberg of documentaries.

Royals do in fact appear on screen, even if they are directed by actual videographers. Charles most certainly has. Charles has appeared in videos, as well as being a published author. Harry has done mini ones with social media. There is absolutely no reason to believe, if Meghan wished to do more then simply cut ribbons and make speeches, she could do so.

Royals keep saying they want to streamline and do more by less. Actually tapping into social media, and getting creative, would go a long way.

I think much of this seems practical. Meghan could certainly do readings or narration, either for documentaries or charitable purposes. She could take on performing arts patronages. I do not see it being at all feasible for her to continue acting on stage or screen as a character.

Thank you that is exactly what I meant. Not her becoming so Spielberg director and trying to take over from BAFTA hires as suggested.

Simply that all royals have found their niche and to find causes to support, but also ways to support them. It would be great for Meghan to be able to do so in her own way. Harry has done coaching camps, and gets hands on now. Maybe Meghan will be patron of a kid's theater program, and from time to time help with their theater classes.

Guess best way to look at them, as they aren't the future monarchs, they can take on causes that are more personal and not just the big heavies.

I agree. I think folks are setting themselves up for a fall if they think Meghan is going to join the BRF and then not work within the system as it currently is.

Past behavior is the best indicator for future. She's been conforming to the expected behavior/routine of a BRF member for months now.

She has said before that her charity work is very important, that she works so she can actually do the charity work. Her charities are going to be her focus and where she can make the greatest impact.

Sorry folks, just don't think you going to see her on an episode of Call the Midwife et al.

I am sorry but who suggested any such thing? That she would continue actually acting? I have seen no one.

What kind of charity work do royals do? They don't actually do it, in the sense they aren't walking dogs in animal shelters, or planting trees (well one for show), or reading to the seniors. They are doing tours and attending fundraisers. They are cutting ribbons and shaking hands. That's the reality of things.

The main purpose of royals is to bring attention to their causes. And the royals are modernizing. Why have we seen the Cambridges on radio shows? Harry on social media videos? Because they are conscious of the changes in how to reach people.

Charles and other royals have been involved in documentaries on historical projects. And certain causes. Appearing on screen to talk about the cause they are working with. No reason to believe, that Meghan could not do the same with whatever projects she takes on.

Or that she cant find theater and art related patronages. We see Harry and Kate getting into sports camps and such. No reason to think Meghan couldn't do so with her arts patronages, if she takes some on.

Much is said about Meghan's passion for acting but as we grow older dreams can and do change. We come to forks in the road and we choose, do we go left or right. Megan has chosen to leave acting because she cannot pursue that career and be married to Harry. But life has already opened other doors she is passionate about and that is an area she can pursue to a greater degree than she could ever have possibly imagined.

Huge assumption here methinks. Meghan has quit Suits. Nothing in that suggests she has quit acting. She may have tons of offers that she will sift through over the Thanksgiving holiday at her mother's. ;) Might.

Also, I am curious how Harry's impassioned comments earlier this year about 'modernizing' the monarchy pertain to how he views a possible marriage to an actress? Possibilities are intriguing.

The thing is the media doesn't really care about hierarchy, etc. They write about what they think is interesting and what they think sells. And if anyone thinks they won't be writing about her, they will be in for a big surprise.

I agree. :flowers: Meghan will intrigue and cause a stir. The press will be there for her just like they were there for Diana. Just like they are there for Pippa. What sells.

She may very well only be opening elementary schools and cutting ribbons, but I bet you she gets covered doing it. .

Somehow I don't think Meghan will be doing those local sort of gigs (cutting ribbons), especially given how Charles and William are purported to want to streamline the royal workload. I think Meghan (as a foreigner) will be a different kind of HRH/Duchess (if they go for titles, which remains a question).

An intelligent, well-educated, talented woman with innumerable possibilities before her (remember she spoke at a UN meeting) does not 'need' the BRF to make an impact in the world. She can well do it 'on her own' (as much as we do anything 'on our own', we all have help one way or another). She could work in any number of capacities outside of acting (if she so chose) with the contacts she has made on her own recognizance. That someone as articulate and wide-awake to the issues of the world as she has demonstrated she is, would allow herself to be muzzled and 'know her place' because of a marriage connection, I am still puzzled at that potential choice.

I'm hoping Harry has a card up his sleeve. ;) But I'm not so sure, given that Meghan refrained from attending a friend's wedding, potentially because Harry wouldn't attend (solely my speculation). Long-stretch speculation on my part but I think it's odd that Meghan refrained from such a happy event for her friend when she could have well attended. Got me thinking.

I don't understand what it is Meghan is supposed to be 'muzzled' from doing or what 'place' she's supposed to be keeping to? If she chooses to stop acting and to marry into a family with their own way of doing things then that's her choice.

Certainly no one is making her and all the feminists out there should be supporting her decision (if she chooses that route) 100 percent.

LaRae

Huge assumption here methinks. Meghan has quit Suits. Nothing in that suggests she has quit acting. She may have tons of offers that she will sift through over the Thanksgiving holiday at her mother's. ;) Might.

Also, I am curious how Harry's impassioned comments earlier this year about 'modernizing' the monarchy pertain to how he views a possible marriage to an actress? Possibilities are intriguing.

I agree. :flowers: Meghan will intrigue and cause a stir. The press will be there for her just like they were there for Diana. Just like they are there for Pippa. What sells.

Somehow I don't think Meghan will be doing those local sort of gigs (cutting ribbons), especially given how Charles and William are purported to want to streamline the royal workload. I think Meghan (as a foreigner) will be a different kind of HRH/Duchess (if they go for titles, which remains a question).

Have to agree. :sad: If I were Meghan I'd be running in the opposite direction after the fires die down (which they will). She just will have to decide if she will do her running from cohabitation or marriage.

An intelligent, well-educated, talented woman with innumerable possibilities before her (remember she spoke at a UN meeting) does not 'need' the BRF to make an impact in the world. She can well do it 'on her own' (as much as we do anything 'on our own', we all have help one way or another). She could work in any number of capacities outside of acting (if she so chose) with the contacts she has made on her own recognizance. That someone as articulate and wide-awake to the issues of the world as she has demonstrated she is, would allow herself to be muzzled and 'know her place' because of a marriage connection, I am still puzzled at that potential choice.

1) Why would any one who has said I am in love want to run from the man that she has claimed to love?

2) Being what you say she is, An intelligent, well-educated, talented woman with innumerable possibilities before her, don't you think that she is very capable of making those decisions for her life or is just sex/lust in the way of mature thoughtful decision making?

For me, I see An intelligent, well-educated, talented woman who has worked hard to achieve what she has, nobody handed her a silver platter with tons of money on it, has accomplished her own goals on her own, done things that show the type of person she is, (where we see how the so called rich and famous who otherwise spend money foolishly on themselves with the biggest house or fastest car) of which she has not done that but given to her endeavors of her own free will, who is more then capable of taking care of herself and does NOT get her self esteem from the media or public but by her family and her work ethic.

I think this young lady is very capable of making wise choices in life for herself and is she has found LOVE then more power to her for then she will be more then capable of taking on more in life with her partner/husband of Her choice.?

Lady Nimue;2038001I agree. :flowers: Meghan will intrigue and cause a stir. The press will be there for her just like they were there for Diana. Just like they are there for Pippa. What sells. [/QUOTE said:
Exactly. I mean theoretically should Pippa's wedding have been covered as much as it was? I mean where does she fall in the "hierarchy"? Nowhere! But that didn't stop the media from covering her wedding like a quasi royal wedding. Which was my point about Meghan. Despite her rank, and what she will or won't be doing, she will get covered. And that seems to be an issue.

1) Why would any one who has said I am in love want to run from the man that she has claimed to love?

2) Being what you say she is, An intelligent, well-educated, talented woman with innumerable possibilities before her, don't you think that she is very capable of making those decisions for her life or is just sex/lust in the way of mature thoughtful decision making?

For me, I see An intelligent, well-educated, talented woman who has worked hard to achieve what she has, nobody handed her a silver platter with tons of money on it, has accomplished her own goals on her own, done things that show the type of person she is, (where we see how the so called rich and famous who otherwise spend money foolishly on themselves with the biggest house or fastest car) of which she has not done that but given to her endeavors of her own free will, who is more then capable of taking care of herself and does NOT get her self esteem from the media or public but by her family and her work ethic.

I think this young lady is very capable of making wise choices in life for herself and is she has found LOVE then more power to her for then she will be more then capable of taking on more in life with her partner/husband of Her choice.?

Yes well said!

LaRae

I’m not puzzled Lady Nimue. If an announcement of an engagement is forthcoming, it’s love. Love pure and simple. Loving someone so deeply, I think you make sacrifices at times when other people say “not me, I wouldn’t do that”. Love is such a personal commitment to another, I would never question anyone For their reason why. You yourself said Meghan is smart-I agree. I bet more than we all could ever imagine she has thought about her future etc.. With all the different possibilities in front of her to me, she puts love in front of anything else

We do it all the time, when the fires have died down. :flowers: Happens all the time. Suddenly there is the person in the cold light of day, asking us to bend for the umpteenth time in a way we were happy to do when the blush was on the rose, but it gets old. Just saying. I have always found the differences between them very large, but that's me. I am willing to be proved wrong.

Often is. What can I say? Everyone is human and I've no doubt that the context of this seduction has been quite compelling. I don't blame her. :flowers:

We can mislead ourselves. I'm not saying she is doing that but people routinely misjudge the person they marry, with far greater acquaintance than Meghan has of Harry and his family, or he of hers. I most assuredly wish them well and am vicariously enjoying the ride of a whirlwind love affair, but I do wonder how sensible anyone can be when the romance is heated and the love is still heavenly. Just saying. ;)

Last edited:

I definitely think she knows what she's doing. If she were younger I might worry. But she has had more than enough life experience to know what she might be giving up and what she might gain. And as you said, the fact that she does not get her sense of self from the public, but from those close to her and her work ethic, will serve her well. I don't think anyone is muzzling her or making her do anything she doesn't want to. Whatever choices she's making, they are of her own free will.

I don't think anyone is muzzling her or making her do anything she doesn't want to. Whatever choices she's making, they are of her own free will.

However, posters have indicated that she will have to learn to 'keep her mouth shut' and effectively toe the royal line. Do we doubt them? Are they not speaking true? :ermm:

We have already seen her curtail her activities and interviews, so we know that much has occurred. Free will? Sure, yes. No one is forcing her, of course. But she is for sure going into a straight-jacket of a life (if that's what's happening). She may not fully appreciate the extent of the smothering of her 'fire'. But we'll see.

PS. Lady Nimue. Just thought of something. A while ago some people were probably nervous too about a girl marrying a foreigner etc. etc. and worried about her choice. I wish HMQ And DofE a very happy 70th.

PS. Lady Nimue. Just thought of something. A while ago some people were probably nervous too about a girl marrying a foreigner etc. etc. and worried about her choice. I wish HMQ And DofE a very happy 70th.

No where near the same thing. IMO. :flowers: Philip may have been foreign but he totally understood the lifestyle and the expectations he was taking on. Even then he was in for some surprises.

But hey, if it works, they are going to be one fun couple! :flowers: I am looking forward to a social whirl, with artists of all persuasions. I suspect Meghan will get on well with the likes of Charles and Camilla. The potential for Meghan's easy American ways being an oil and balm is very real. Bring on the (winter!) wedding! ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom