Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think any of the Swedes had a balcony kiss? You can still get ''the kiss'' without the balcony but it doesn't offer the amazing footage with the overhead fly etc.

I don't think any of the Swedes had a balcony kiss? You can still get ''the kiss'' without the balcony but it doesn't offer the amazing footage with the overhead fly etc.
There was kisses alright. Loads of them. Both when stepping out of church and at Lejonbacken where both Victoria & Carl Philip said a few words. Madeline and Chris instead chose to greet the crowds at Slottsbacken outside the entrance to the Palace church. The latter wedding was by choice more lowkey than those of her siblings.
Fly bys aren't a tradition at Royal events in Sweden.

What would be so wrong with the scenario in which Harry and Meghan announce their engagement and, at the same time, announce that Meghan is seeking British citizenship? There would probably be time enough between the engagement announcement and the wedding for everything to be cleared without "jumping the queue" so to speak. :D

To me, its an asset to do something like this. Its, in a way, similar to Kate being confirmed in the CoE in preparing for her upcoming wedding to William.

If anything, the announcement that Meghan is seeking British citizenship would enhance things rather than detract from them. Sometimes its the effort that is shown that makes the best impressions.

NOTHING would be wrong with that, Osipi !

As you say there is likely to be plenty of time between the announcement of engagement and the Wedding for a normal application to be processed.

It's merely that SO many here are in such a hurry for their Royal Wedding 'fix', they expect the correct procedure to be bypassed...

Last edited:
I honestly don't see her having the need for a fiancée visa. Go as a tourist and leave the furniture. And really what is she going to do with her furniture in London? Harry currently lives in a 2-bedroom cottage. Highly doubt he's living without furniture so far. She'll be granted British citizenship upon marriage more likely than having to wait a few years as normal folks would do.

If she REALLY wants to change Harry's furniture in the meantime, they both have the means to buy new furniture.

Last edited:
I will be terribly disappointed if Harry and Meghan marry anywhere other than the Abbey!

Even though St. George's is a pretty venue, for me it seems somehow second-rate, for minor members of the royal family, and I know that is how I will regard it.

(And you know there will be plenty of people saying Meghan wasn't allowed to marry in the Abbey, etc.)

St George’s is a royal peculiar just like the Abbey and it’s also where the Garter ceremony takes place every year. I wouldn’t say it’s second rate, just smaller.

Only those who have never visited St Georges Chapel could describe it as 'second rate' !

It has arguably the finest Perpendicular Gothic interior in the World, is flooded with light [unlike the stygian gloom of Westminster Abbey], and remains a coherent and beautiful space [unlike WA which is stuffed full of far too many funerary monuments].
Were I casting round for a wedding venue I know which of the two I would plump for !

https://www.eyerevolution.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/st-georges-chapel-windsor-castle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A matter of taste I suppose....I prefer the Abbey over St Georges myself.

LaRae

YOU may say so, but the general public in Britain [where it matters] fail to see the 'servitude', see only the glamour, Palaces and [for Women], Jewels.

So 'jumping the Queue' for the already immensely privileged is not acceptable, and Ms Markle has better join the end of it [like EVERYONE else].

I have to disagree; if it were true that it's completely unacceptable for privileged people to jump the queue, the UK wouldn't have a visa class that literally allows you to show up with 2 million pounds and walk through the door 3 months later. Further, the amount of time it takes you to apply for indefinite leave to remain goes down the more you invest (5 years for 2 million, 3 years for 5 million, and 2 years for 10 million).

There always have been and always will be ways for the privileged to jump the queue; the only difference between a person using the investor class visa and someone joining the royal family is that there's more scrutiny on the latter.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...igration-deal-british-citizenship-home-office

more scrutiny on the latter.

It is the Scrutiny that MATTERS, as it will affect perceptions, and will undoubtedly be used by those who are less than keen on Ms Markle joining the Royal family.
The 'investor class' and can be argued over [altho' other Countries offer similar 'incentives'], but are certainly not relevant to this thread.

It is the Scrutiny that MATTERS, as it will affect perceptions, and will undoubtedly be used by those who are less than keen on Ms Markle joining the Royal family.
The 'investor class' and can be argued over [altho' other Countries offer similar 'incentives'], but are certainly not relevant to this thread.

There is going to be some jumping the queue here no matter what. If not for a visa, it'll be for citizenship. I highly doubt she'll start her marriage as a non-British citizen. It'll be fast tracked.

And look at it another way is that as soon as an engagement is announced, she'll be assigned her own Scotland Yard RPO. How are the Brits going to feel if they are paying for round the clock security for someone who isn't going to be a British citizen soon? I can only imagine.

That might be another reason why an engagement won't be announced until next year. It gives her the freedom to travel and see her family for Christmas if she wishes. If she is a royal fiancee by then, it get a lot more complicated security wise and PR wise.

Last edited:
Now that Kate's due date has been announced -

Can they announce the engagement in December / January and marry sometime in March / early April before baby Cambridge #3 arrives ?

Given the new information on due date, I think the wedding will likely be late May/June at the earliest.

Last edited:
I'm still hoping for March (not as likely) or May (probably the most likely if they go with sooner rather than later).

LaRae

May at the absolute earliest. Kate will give birth have a bit of bonding time with family and then it’s clear sailing. But a lot logistical planning will have to be used for two significant royal events.

Only those who have never visited St Georges Chapel could describe it as 'second rate' !

It has arguably the finest Perpendicular Gothic interior in the World, is flooded with light [unlike the stygian gloom of Westminster Abbey], and remains a coherent and beautiful space [unlike WA which is stuffed full of far too many funerary monuments].
Were I casting round for a wedding venue I know which of the two I would plump for !

https://www.eyerevolution.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/st-georges-chapel-windsor-castle.jpg

St George's is beautiful but since this would be the first royal wedding involving my favorite royal, I would like to see him have something a little grander, ending with a balcony appearance. I'd be a bit disappointed if we didn't get to see that.

Can they announce the engagement in December / January and marry sometime in March / early April before baby Cambridge #3 arrives ?

They could but I don't see them going for that short of an engagement. May is probably the earliest they'd marry.

I also don’t understand the rush for Meghan and Harry to get married. It’s almost like a shotgun wedding

I know fans are eager but Kate’s due will be taken into account. She went into May with Charlotte.

Meghan and Harry have loads of time.

With this news confirmed I can see them announcing either late Nov or early Dec and wedding date late May or early June.

I'm not sure who isn't considering Kate's due date or suggesting it won't be taken into account? That said, it should hardly be Harry or Meghan's primary concern. If the baby is due in early April for example, then May is just fine for a wedding.

Actually, now that I think about it, June might even be out of question with the Garter ceremony and Trooping. Likely early July.

:previous: I don't think it's out of question. Perhaps it would be if they were to marry at WA but a wedding in June at St George's is still very much a possibility. (Not my preference, of course. ?)

Last edited:

Yes, I've been there many times, and I agree it is a beautiful church.

But it's not the Abbey.

It’s an April baby. So was Charlotte and she went into May. The British media and most world’s for that matter will be glued to the Lindo Windo until it happens

There will be a bit of national celebration. There will be gun salutes and the usual hoopla. Plus Kate will need a bit of downtime. I just don’t understand why they would the wedding to right after it. It may be the case but it would seem a bit haphazard and the Queen likes to run a smooth ship.

I don’t think it would be the end of the world to wait until June. Get the media backup and running give everyone a breather and have a non rushed royal event.

:previous: I don't think it's out of question. Perhaps it would be if they were to marry at WA but a wedding in June at St. George's is still very much a possibility. (Not my preference, of course. ?)

Unless they plan on using some of the same set up for Harry's wedding, I don't think it's feasible to think they'll have two back to back major events. No matter where it takes place, Harry's wedding will be televised and there will be pomp and pageantry to set up.

I will be terribly disappointed if Harry and Meghan marry anywhere other than the Abbey!

Even though St. George's is a pretty venue, for me it seems somehow second-rate, for minor members of the royal family, and I know that is how I will regard it.

(And you know there will be plenty of people saying Meghan wasn't allowed to marry in the Abbey, etc.)

Some senior members of the BRF were married at St George Chapel : The Earl and the Countess of Wessex and of course the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall. It's the heart of the Bristish Monarchy, actually it's quite an honor to be married there.
I know the Harry/Meghan fenzy is quite debilitating, but again the British Monarchy is NOT a lifetime movie. Harry is the second son of the heir to the throne, he will be very soon SIXTH in the line of succession. You wouldn't expect the same level of pageantry than the 2011 wedding.

I also don’t understand the rush for Meghan and Harry to get married. It’s almost like a shotgun wedding

I know fans are eager but Kate’s due will be taken into account. She went into May with Charlotte.

Shotgun? By May/June they will have been dating 2 years....hardly a rush to the altar.

LaRae

There doesn't have to be the same level of pageantry for a wedding to take place at the Abbey. Harry may soon be 6th in line but he is quite popular and being the second son of the future king is more of plus than a minus for a bigger wedding.

Unless they plan on using some of the same set up for Harry's wedding, I don't think it's feasible to think they'll have two back to back major events. No matter where it takes place, Harry's wedding will be televised and there will be pomp and pageantry to set up.

As as already been pointed out, Sophie and Edward married in June, so it is definitely not out of question.

Last edited:
Some senior members of the BRF were married at St George Chapel : The Earl and the Countess of Wessex and of course the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall. It's the heart of the Bristish Monarchy, actually it's quite an honor to be married there.
I know the Harry/Meghan fenzy is quite debilitating, but again the British Monarchy is NOT a lifetime movie. Harry is the second son of the heir to the throne, he will be very soon SIXTH in the line of succession. You wouldn't expect the same level of pageantry than the 2011 wedding.
Everyone has said this won't be as big as W&K's wedding. But to compare the above mentioned wedding to Meghan and Harry isn't accurate either. The Wessexes were not full time royals at that time, nor were they expected to be. The PoW and Duchess didn't get married there, they had a blessing after a civil ceremony. They were also in a different situation being that they were much older, with two long marriages between them, having grown children from both marriages, and of course the scandalous details of their affair.

This is the first marriage for Harry, who is a full time royal and whose life, along with that of his wife, will be devoted to working for the monarchy.

I agree with this point of view. I think that I'm in the minority here because I'm not enthralled with the idea of Meghan as a royal spouse. One thing that concerns me is that 60% to 67% of second marriages fail. U.S. Divorce Rates and Statistics - Divorce Stats - Divorce Source

Not only has Meghan been divorced, but her parents are divorced. This doesn't bode well. Remember the 80s and 90s, with royal brides whose parents were divorced?

Actors often come from families where there's been family breakdown. Meghan is no exception.

I wonder whether Meghan and Harry have even been together enough to have had their first major argument? If so, how have they handled it?

I'm sure that Meghan is intelligent and kind and all those things, but I'm concerned about whether she's the right one for Harry, the future HRH Duke of Wherever.

As far as I'm concerned, a year-and-a-half of long-distance romance isn't long enough. I think that Meghan should move to the UK several months before any engagement is announced and live there as a private citizen (i.e. not somewhere sheltered like a palace) to find out whether she really wants to live there long-term.

I'd hate to see Harry and Meghan marry and have a couple of children and then split up. :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom